Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,938 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours (26968 Views)

CBN Raises Customs FX Duty Rate For Cargo Clearance By 14% / Kiki Osinbajo Pens Down Message To Her Father As He Begin Another 4 years / Nigeria Is Finished If Buhari Remains For Another 4 Years - Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by tctrills: 9:18pm On Feb 03
DeLaRue:

You think so, but that's not the reality.

There is a pain point at which demand for many imported goods will fall fast. People will simply start buying less and less of them. Whether that pain point is at N1500, N1800, or N2000 to a dollar, I don't know.

But the CBN will have the data. They know. If N1500 doesn't stiffle imports to the level they want, I suspect the CBN will not mind seeing naira close to N2,000 to a dollar.

In some ways, it is to the credit of Mr Tinubu's administration that it is willing to follow this extremely tough path to redirect the economy from import-dependence to greater local production. For a politician facing election in just over 3 years to follow a path that may not show positive results for a few years, is truly brave.

The Nigerian economy was heading for the rocks after over 40 years of mismanagement. Tough decisions are needed to correct long term over dependence on imports.

That naira/dollar pain point is the point at which local production of certain goods starts becoming more viable than importing the same goods. This should translate to us producing more of what we need locally. This will lead to more job creation, less pressure on the naira, and a stronger, more balanced economy in the long term.

But this approach comes with a lot of economic pain initially, as the country is witnessing now.

That's the theory o.

Whether things happen in practice like I stated above is a different matter, because Nigeria's situation often defy economic theory.

Oga, the local industries are being hit the hardest by his policies. Why do you think local industries are shutting down everyday? Why do you think GSK opted out?
His policies are killing manufacturers.

2 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by tctrills: 9:20pm On Feb 03
PressMyButton:
Let CBN squeeze your balls, all ye import gluttons, unproductive beings. Let our naira breett.
Your CBN is only squeezing the balls of the poor Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Adolfnigeria: 9:30pm On Feb 03
@seunmsg not a smart comment.
the CBN is delusional. Speculators are not the cause the low value of the naira.
You folks need to do a lot more reading. Nigerias case is not unique. Venezuala, argentina ,lebanon are examples. you cannot have the levels of corruption in a country and have prosperity.

Govt that imports luxury cars for each and every lawmaker. In a few years time they will be spending millions on their luxury on the little tax payers money

seunmsg:
CBN is finally going for broke. It’s a game of you go low and we go lower. The convergence between official and parallel market rate will be achieved at whatever cost. Until we get to that point, the volatility will continue. So,who blinks first between CBN and speculators?

2 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Forumobserver12(m): 9:31pm On Feb 03
Psalmistproject:
This means that Rice price has just added 4.4%

So if you have been buying rice for 50k then add 4.4% to it. It will give you 52200.

This applies to others.

Now you can clearly see the government wants to kill everyone.

How is this supposed to help the people.

You haven't created jobs or economic facilities and atmosphere to help people build income yet you are directly contributing to more hardship.

This is wickedness from the pit of hell!

I know they did this at a time they feel Nigerians are a little bit happy and distracted by the afcon wins lately.

Nonsense!!

The increments is about 50% not 4.5, they increased the Customs Duty twice in less then 24hours between Friday and Saturday..

We are going to feel the impact of this increase of Custom Duty in few months time, unfortunately most Nigerians are not even aware of this development...

2 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Bimpe29: 9:34pm On Feb 03
It's getting harder
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by mutvy: 9:45pm On Feb 03
Thieves have taken over the government in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Zeebuy: 9:47pm On Feb 03
casualobserver:

The two of you and all you Obidients should rest. Tinubu is president not Obi who will never be president. We are dealing with realities not fantasies!
lolzzz...see this one. Enjoy your renewed shege. Balablu till 2070 grin

1 Like

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Cti28(m): 9:48pm On Feb 03
DeLaRue:

There is a pain point at which demand for many imported goods will fall fast. People will simply start buying less and less of them. Whether that pain point is at N1500, N1800, or N2000 to a dollar, I don't know.

But the CBN will have the data. They know. If N1500 doesn't stiffle imports to the level they want, I suspect the CBN will not mind seeing naira close to N2,000 to a dollar.

In some ways, it is to the credit of Mr Tinubu's administration that it is willing to follow this extremely tough path to redirect the economy from import-dependence to greater local production. For a politician facing election in just over 3 years to follow a path that may not show positive results for a few years, is truly brave.

The Nigerian economy was heading for the rocks after over 40 years of mismanagement. Tough decisions are needed to correct long term over dependence on imports.

That naira/dollar pain point is the point at which local production of certain goods starts becoming more viable than importing the same goods. This should translate to us producing more of what we need locally. This will lead to more job creation, less pressure on the naira, and a stronger, more balanced economy in the long term.

But this approach comes with a lot of economic pain initially, as the country is witnessing now.

That's the theory o.

Whether things happen in practice like I stated above is a different matter, because Nigeria's situation often defy economic theory.

Question : Where is our President?
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by chukgol: 9:50pm On Feb 03
Because someone has a particular view of candidate which is different from yours makes that person a fool Take Sentiment out of it, what economic activities/imports could justify the spike or naira depreciation every single minute? It's high time we come together as a nation and see that things are done right and stop been irrational irrespective of party afflictions. How many law makers in LP have come out to criticize this government (most probably money has changed hands). I remember a time were it was said foreign student and medical tourists were putting pressure on FX. Now it has reduced drastically by almost 70%. The last regime had a fix price for fx which favour some rich persons(shady), one of that led to one of the africa largest refineries that had just bought crude oil from the USA jettisoning her local crude all in the name most of crude produced has been contracted out. Its about time we demand for accountability from our leaders be it from our brothers, sisters, wards, LGA reps, State officials or National leaders. Enough of this tribal Sentiment,individualism. Remember to he docile is to be senile, to be wise is to discerned.
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Pimples(m): 9:53pm On Feb 03
DeLaRue:

That's the theory o.

As a local producer I'll simply increase my price to match the price of similar imported products.

The difference won't be worth it.
Foreign rice 52k
Local rice 50k
Most consumers will still go for the foreign products because the difference in price is mostly negligible
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by surgical: 9:57pm On Feb 03
Seefinish:
It is now I know the meaning of " a town hall is different from balablue, bulaba
omo I no fit laugh for this your comment
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by IamAtikulate: 9:57pm On Feb 03
Things are already expensive but Tinubu is working extra hard to make it more expensive for Nigerians.

I don't really know why he is doing that.

2 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by IamAtikulate: 10:01pm On Feb 03
DeLaRue:

That's the theory o.

Using import duties to stimulate demand for local products is useless if have not achieved sufficiency in that local production of that commodity.

Nigeria is in mess today because ban foreign rice when we can't produce enough locally to feed us.
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Barcalee: 10:03pm On Feb 03
Seefinish:
It is now I know the meaning of " a town hall is different from balablue, bulaba

😂😂😂😂
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by surgical: 10:08pm On Feb 03
Calitoscassius:
This sounds like hocus pocus, living in kukoo land. grin who will produce these local products? And what local products can Naigeeria produce? The dumb government wants to force citizens to purchase local products that are not available. grin grin
Has the government lead by example, they import Petroleum products that should be refined in Nigeria without any reasonable reason frittering away a large proportion of our forex,they import luxury cars for themselves using forex,they embark on medical tourism every now and then using forex,but anything that can alleviate they plight of the people, they block it,with this stupid idea they want to remove oxygen from the economy and altimately the masses

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by surgical: 10:13pm On Feb 03
IamAtikulate:

Using import duties to stimulate demand for local products is useless if have not achieved sufficiency in that local production of that commodity.

Nigeria is in mess today because ban foreign rice when we can't produce enough locally to feed us.
If APC is not killed in Nigeria, APC will kill Nigeria, they have absolutely nothing to offer,they don't have men and materials to deliver good governance, this is the second administration from that same party,they have continued to deliver woes to Nigerians,they don't have anything to offer, anything aside opposition, they are a disaster

1 Like

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by skywalker240(m): 10:15pm On Feb 03
DeLaRue:

That's the theory o.

Whether things happen in practice like I stated above is a different matter, because Nigeria's situation often defy economic theory
Thank God say only you still correct yourself

The way I be wan take load you slap enh

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Asswipemod: 10:19pm On Feb 03
seunmsg:
CBN is finally going for broke. It’s a game of you go low and we go lower. The convergence between official and parallel market rate will be achieved at whatever cost. Until we get to that point, the volatility will continue. So,who blinks first between CBN and speculators?
CBN, Kadoso. CBN.
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Dbegining: 10:41pm On Feb 03
casualobserver:

The two of you and all you Obidients should rest. Tinubu is president not Obi who will never be president. We are dealing with realities not fantasies!

Thank God you didn't address anything we said. Wise of you to accept you're wrong. Especially when there's proof.

Now to your statement Obi who will never be president.

The only thing I'll say is well-done God Jnr, deputy Jesus, Assistant Mohammed.

Please tell us, since you're so good at telling what will happen and what will not, when will the dollar come down to 400 like your realistic god and president said in his manifesto?

ONKR ONSR ONJR ONSSR AEMBJ

1 Like

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by casualobserver: 11:08pm On Feb 03
Dbegining:

Thank God you didn't address anything we said. Wise of you to accept you're wrong. Especially when there's proof.

Now to your statement Obi who will never be president.

The only thing I'll say is well-done God Jnr, deputy Jesus, Assistant Mohammed.

Please tell us, since you're so good at telling what will happen and what will not, when will the dollar come down to 400 like your realistic god and president said in his manifesto?

ONKR ONSR ONJR ONSSR AEMBJ

You are Obidients, there is nothing to address. Secondly it’s a waste of time reading an epistle by an Obidient ( I am not sure which one of you wrote the epistle but I didn’t read it. An Obidient is a person with a low IQ as far as I am concerned. No need for long story.

3 Likes

Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Zool6: 11:17pm On Feb 03
Another wotowoto added this is only avenue the government want start milking the already improvised Nigerias an importer will simply pay any amount government is requesting add it all together plus his profits and disburse the goods at higher costs to retailers who take to end users an importer will never run at cost poor Nigerias will still be the once paying it

In this case importers will be used as funnels by this heartless government expect more higher inflation on prizes shege next level loading all the motor parts electronics textiles tools just every imported goods which account for almost 75% of Nigeria daily use
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by nedekid: 11:19pm On Feb 03
LoveLeadsLand:
It means further increase in the prices of things across boards. Tougher times ahead but, for the sake of our sanity, let's remember...

1. Tough times never lasts but tough people do.

2. Every problem is an opportunity if only you can take a second look.

3. Elections have consequences. So, let's use this opportunity to learn our hands-on bitter lessons.

Seems you don't know Nigerians. They never learn. Just watch and see the next elections. Eg, one fellow I just commented on was telling another person he will wail for the next 7 years, say 1 year just pass, the usual tirade. Meanwhile the "teller" na job seeker ie aka unemployed somebody. Would you say he has learnt the lesson?
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Okoroawusa: 11:33pm On Feb 03
I Love Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Bulletproofgt: 11:34pm On Feb 03
LoveLeadsLand:
It means further increase in the prices of things across boards. Tougher times ahead but, for the sake of our sanity, let's remember...

1. Tough times never lasts but tough people do.

2. Every problem is an opportunity if only you can take a second look.

3. Elections have consequences. So, let's use this opportunity to learn our hands-on bitter lessons.

I pray your family members no sick na then u go know implications of voting an idiot
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Calitoscassius(m): 12:01am On Feb 04
surgical:
Has the government lead by example, they import Petroleum products that should be refined in Nigeria without any reasonable reason frittering away a large proportion of our forex,they import luxury cars for themselves using forex,they embark on medical tourism every now and then using forex,but anything that can alleviate they plight of the people, they block it,with this stupid idea they want to remove oxygen from the economy and altimately the masses
Exactly.
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by Phraences: 12:10am On Feb 04
We don enter one chance bus.
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by softsoul22(m): 12:10am On Feb 04
PressMyButton:
Let CBN squeeze your balls, all ye import gluttons, unproductive beings. Let our naira breett.

The federal government is now acting foolish by increasing the import duty rate majorly on tokunbo vehicles and some general cargo goods to cut down import demands of same product's thinking that will bringing a lasting solution to the rise in Dollar currency against the Naira, and to promote exportation of agro products and other locally made produces. In my humble opinion, I think the useful part is encouraging exportation of goods and services but in other view, the violent herdsmen have been tormenting our farmers by grazing on their farm produce wish sometimes normally result to killing if theirs a protest against such criminal act.
I still want the government to take bold step by curving these killings and to fully encourage more export of goods to stabilise the economy.
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by AnyanwuSilas: 12:14am On Feb 04
KillahPriest:
to your credit, you mentioned secondary school. Most of the locally manufactured goods in Nigeria still depend on imported foreign components since you can't have everything you want in one place. I've said it before and I'll repeat myself,, these your people in power are deliberately trying to destroy the economy and that's the only viable excuse for whatever they think they're doing which we're all seeing the effects of. A country can never tax it's already impoverished people out of its financial mess
This is delibratelly done as political leaders are helpless themselves, the world is being/about to be restructured for life, anybody trusting any Nigerian politian is deceiving himself. This current Nigeria have no future. We need freedom 1st as indigeneous people. MNK is the way.
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by temizeee(m): 12:16am On Feb 04
Anything they do hasn’t favored the masses, well i think until we all do what is necessary they will keep taking we people for granted. But i don’t blame them, we are all hypocrites we don’t love each other we love taking advantage of situations we the people need to understand and come together as one if not…… there’s no solution to this
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by olibeans: 12:46am On Feb 04
I guess these people want to k!LL all of us in this kon3. Let them go and find out what made Omar Al-Bashir lose his seat. Rising cost of living.

This is unbearable.
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by cucumbar: 2:04am On Feb 04
Lemos14:

Mr man it's okay now I already said have a good day no need to go any further.
Don’t mind that monkey.

All of them are billionaires and citizens of the world online, but in real life, they are never do wells.

Useless tribalistic church rats claiming what they are not.
Re: Again, CBN Raises Import Duty Rate By Another 4.4% In 24 Hours by venabili: 2:08am On Feb 04
DeLaRue:

That's the theory o.

You assume nigeria has local equivalent of most of the things we import, we dont.

1. Electronics
2. Automobiles
3. Heavy machineries
4. Refined oil products
5. Mobile devices.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Shehu Sani Vs Dauda: EFCC Mulls Lie Detector Test To Determine Liar / Miyetti Allah: Buhari’s Order To Shoot People With AK-47 Also Affects Amotekun / Governor Akeredolu Marks 100days of Second Term With 100 Strides (PHOTOS)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.