Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,068 members, 7,810,999 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning (36404 Views)

AFCON: South Africans Threaten Nwabali - Don't Come Back / AFCON: South African Official, Clayson Monyela Accused Of Xenophobic Comment / Argentine Legend Slams Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by Fineman2: 10:30pm On Feb 06
A diplomatic row has broken out between Nigeria and South Africa ahead of the two sides' semi-final match at the Africa Cup of Nations on Wednesday.

The Nigerian High Commission in South Africa warned Nigerian football fans to refrain from boisterous celebrations if their team wins.

That warning was intended to prevent the provocation of xenophobic attacks by frustrated South African supporters.

But South Africa says that this has only created "false alarm".

There has been a long-standing rivalry between the two footballing giants - the Super Eagles and Bafana Bafana.

But in its statement on Tuesday, South Africa's Department of International Relations and Cooperation (Dirco) said there was "no history of soccer hooliganism among South Africans" at matches against Nigeria.

"We are confident that the sports-loving nation of South Africa poses no threat to Nigerian citizens, and we do not agree with the apprehension expressed by the High Commission," Dirco added.

"The advisory is regrettable because it seems to create alarm and unnecessary tension between the citizens of South Africa and Nigerians living in or visiting South Africa."

Nigeria has yet to respond to the statement from South African officials.

In recent years, South Africa has seen a wave of xenophobic attacks against Africans who have moved there from elsewhere in the continent, often for better economic opportunities.

In its statement earlier on Tuesday, Nigeria's diplomatic service said it was issuing the warning because it had seen evidence of "veiled threats" by South Africans online.

It advised Nigerians living in South Africa to "be watchful of their utterances, be mindful of where they choose to watch the match especially in public places, and refrain from engaging in loud, riotous or provocative celebrations should the Super Eagles win".

Kick-off is at 17:00 GMT on Wednesday in the Ivorian city of Bouaké.

The other semi-final is between the hosts Ivory Coast and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-68210687

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by Fineman2: 10:31pm On Feb 06
I believe the warning is necessary

439 Likes 32 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by immortalcrown(m): 10:33pm On Feb 06
The warning is necessary because xenophobia has shown that Sauth Africans can attack Nigerians for any reason at any time.

To be forewarned is to be forearmed. Also, being cautious is different from being scared. Nigerians are being cautious.

313 Likes 27 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by Hezzyluv: 10:36pm On Feb 06
No be SA again?? Xenophobic attack is their birth rights. undecided

Nigerians in SA should be mindful how they would celebrate the winning tho.

257 Likes 22 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by Fineman2: 10:37pm On Feb 06
immortalcrown:
To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

The warning is necessary because xenophobia has shown that Sauth Africans can attack Nigerians for any reason at any time.
exactly

54 Likes 8 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by matify83: 10:45pm On Feb 06
We don't trust you guys .

If by just snatching a South African girlfriend, you guys can kill and destroy Nigerians properties, is it when we snatch the finals ticket from your country that you will behave?

The fear of South Africa xenophobia is the beginning of wisdom.

Nigerians in South Africa should avoid watching the match in viewing centers but instead in their homes and avoid boisterous celebrations.

182 Likes 13 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by muyico(m): 10:51pm On Feb 06
isn't unah fault, if not for our country dat isn't working out good

23 Likes 7 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by CoronaVirusPro: 10:53pm On Feb 06
Any wise Nigerian doing business in South Africa should be taking preventive and mitigating measures now.

Those morafvckin South Africans are unpredictable!

98 Likes 9 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by Hohaiiiode(m): 11:04pm On Feb 06
Fineman2:
very necessary

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by GanagiBitrus: 11:30pm On Feb 06
Abeg leave all this plenty grammar.
The advisory was quite necessary.

For Nigerians in S/Africa, better heed the advisory - Prevention is always better than cure.

A Word is Enough for the Wise.

82 Likes 6 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by flourishing247: 11:32pm On Feb 06
Nigerians in South Africa should watch the match in their homes.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by leathalbeast: 11:36pm On Feb 06
The warning is actually necessary though I want nigeria to lose

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by LordIsaac(m): 12:48am On Feb 07
If I were in South Africa this minute I would sleep at the gate of Nigerian Embassy from tonight till next tomorrow.

81 Likes 6 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by Anigreat: 5:43am On Feb 07
shocked

Since this tournament started, honestly I have never supported Nigeria to win any match, but this very match between them and south Africa, I support the super Eagle with my full chest. Even if they don't come back with the trophy, but if they can annihilate this stupid south Africa, that will be my greatest trophy ever.

I have never seen a country and people so insecure and fóolish as south Africans.

97 Likes 11 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by OKUCHI11(m): 6:06am On Feb 07
Anigreat:
shocked

Since this tournament started, honestly I have never supported Nigeria to win any match, but this very match between them and south Africa, I support the super Eagle with my full chest. Even if they don't come back with the trophy, but if they can annihilate this stupid south Africa, that will be my greatest trophy ever.

I have never seen a country so insecure and fóolish as south Africa.
... Exactly I fully support Nigeria...

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by LeeSmart: 6:30am On Feb 07
A very popular cat on the internet predicted that S.A will win Nigeria in today's game. Now Nigerians are looking for the cat to kill it nd eat, lol naija no get chill oo.

24 Likes

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by jchioma: 6:32am On Feb 07
To be forewarned is to be forearmed. The advisory is necessary to avoid death and carnage in the heat of passion and anger.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by davidtemi(m): 6:32am On Feb 07
They are right

4 Likes

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by DenreleDave(m): 6:33am On Feb 07
grin grin
Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by SoNature(m): 6:34am On Feb 07
Immediately I learnt that Nigeria will play against South Africa in the semis, my comment on Facebook was that I hope they don't start another round of xenophobic attacks when we beat them. Days later, the Nigerian High Commission lent their voice.

We needed to say that because these South Africans no get sense! They are always looking for excuses to loot shops belonging to Nigerians and Zimbabweans.

BTW, the SA office (Dirco) says there's a long rivalry between Nigeria and SA in football, and I say it's a lie. I have never watched a football match where SA beat Nigeria in a tournament.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by Tremple8v: 6:34am On Feb 07
Despite there good economy. Them dey always beef 9ja in every way.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by seunlayi(m): 6:34am On Feb 07
Fineman2:
Very necessary even without been warned. Dare South Africans at your own risk

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by Omalicious1: 6:35am On Feb 07

2 Likes

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by Dshocker(m): 6:35am On Feb 07
Today na today
Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by nony43(m): 6:35am On Feb 07
Nigeria vs SA . Under 2.5 goals, 9ja should be careful about this SA players, they can fire outside 18 shots.

13 Likes

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by seunlayi(m): 6:35am On Feb 07
LeeSmart:
A very popular cat on the internet predicted that S.A will win Nigeria in today's game. Now Nigerians are looking for the cat to kill it nd eat, lol naija no get chill oo.
Na cat wan play the ball or human?

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by IMASTEX: 6:36am On Feb 07
Nigeria know what they are good at. . .thus the warning is valid given their history of xenophobic attack.

7 Likes

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by Sonnobax15(m): 6:37am On Feb 07
lipsrsealed
Whether dey slam or not,the truth is that let those who have ears,let dem hear.. Period!!

2 Likes

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by opera1(m): 6:37am On Feb 07
leathalbeast:
The warning is actually necessary though I want nigeria to lose

Looser

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by Bfly: 6:37am On Feb 07
Very unnecessary warning.
Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by LeeSmart: 6:38am On Feb 07
seunlayi:
Na cat wan play the ball or human?
That cat has been predicting every afcon game correctly
Re: AFCON: South Africa Slams Nigeria For Football Safety Warning by Fiscus105(m): 6:39am On Feb 07
As if south Africa will do anything if anything negative happens, and by then lives might have lost.

The threat ur citizens given out on social media, what effort have you made to curtain unforseen that might break out from it.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Nets Four Goals For Portugal Against Lithuania In EURO 2020 / Transfer: Victor Osimhen Set For A Shock Move To Manchester United / Cristiano Ronaldo Dances In Shopee Advert (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.