Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,205 members, 7,815,196 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions (20289 Views)

Should I Report This Suspicious Transaction Or Play Along?? / Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. / How Does Western Union Money Transfer Work In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by TIDDOLL(m): 7:33pm On Feb 08
dejavubobo1:
I'm a data analyst. Got a little weekly pay job from an academy in Europe. Surprisingly after 3months of work and weekly payment, My name was flagged by western union on suspicion of fraud (with my pay for February second week cancelled after many hours seating infront of the computer).

It's very appalling and morale draining to be profiled in one's own country. I really wish I could push for a law suit and make them understand not all Nigerians are criminals and seeing us/considering us as one will have consequences.

Has anyone had such terrible experience, how did you handle?

Sorry to hear about this, you can explore other means to get paid remotely though, to avoid all this unnecessary issues.
Platforms like Payoneer can be a good one, well except for their charges

I personally use "Plane" formally known as pilot, but that needs to be established between you and your employer.

1 Like

Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by GreatSage: 7:40pm On Feb 08
dejavubobo1:
I'm a data analyst. Got a little weekly pay job from an academy in Europe. Surprisingly after 3months of work and weekly payment, My name was flagged by western union on suspicion of fraud (with my pay for February second week cancelled after many hours seating infront of the computer).

It's very appalling and morale draining to be profiled in one's own country. I really wish I could push for a law suit and make them understand not all Nigerians are criminals and seeing us/considering us as one will have consequences.

Boss if you dont mind can you pls share details off the academy in europe??

1 Like

Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Konquest: 7:42pm On Feb 08
dejavubobo1:

Just the regular flagging.
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by udumelue61854: 7:50pm On Feb 08
It is better to open a domiciliary account with a bank.It is better to open a domiciliary account with a bank....
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Yankee101: 7:54pm On Feb 08
Why was it flagged?

Have you EVER now or in the past been involved in anything funny? Even if it was years ago

Did you ‘help’ anyone transfer money in your name? Did you sell USD to someone who used it for anything funny?
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by pacespot(m): 8:02pm On Feb 08
Tinubu effect
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by klawaaa: 8:07pm On Feb 08
Western Union required some forms of verifications when making substantial transactions on it platform. They would have sent you some head-ups but Nigerians are not use to treating documentation seriously. You may need to upload some forms of govt IDs.
dejavubobo1:

1 Like

Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by nwauwa(m): 8:13pm On Feb 08
Mavor:
As a remote worker, why use Western Union when you have better options like Grey or GeegPay to receive salary in FX from overseas.
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by abbey621(m): 9:35pm On Feb 08
Yankee101:
Why was it flagged?

Have you EVER now or in the past been involved in anything funny? Even if it was years ago

Did you ‘help’ anyone transfer money in your name? Did you sell USD to someone who used it for anything funny?

Anybody can get flagged when the transactions reaches a treshold or ticks off a flag! Normal workers/contractors don't get paid by Western Union so that in itself is a flag.

1 Like

Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Yankee101: 10:09pm On Feb 08
abbey621:

Anybody can get flagged when the transactions reaches a treshold or ticks off a flag! Normal workers/contractors don't get paid by Western Union so that in itself is a flag.

It’s not a lot of money. Don’t see why it should get flagged and cancelled eventually. A relatively consistent amount of money from the same source to the same recipient is generally not an issue, Even if it gets flagged they might ask for more evidence and allow it pass but not to cancel it cos that will mean he might not be allowed to use the service anymore

Cancellation comes with reasonable doubt
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Melagros(m): 11:04pm On Feb 08
stagger:
Open an account with Wise or Geegpay and say goodbye to these issues.
Please educate me on this because I have not been able to get from us for a while now
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Agoziemdollars0: 12:14am On Feb 09
Yes geegpay is good
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Ojemedad: 2:44am On Feb 09
dejavubobo1:

Open dom account, although it may take 2-3 days before you will receive it after sending andthe rate is very good, you can even decide to withdraw and sell to aboki
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by abbey621(m): 4:50am On Feb 09
Yankee101:

It’s not a lot of money. Don’t see why it should get flagged and cancelled eventually. A relatively consistent amount of money from the same source to the same recipient is generally not an issue, Even if it gets flagged they might ask for more evidence and allow it pass but not to cancel it cos that will mean he might not be allowed to use the service anymore

Cancellation comes with reasonable doubt

I've worked in the financial sector for many years, many transactions are canceled, lot of money is defined by Western Union not the customer! Don't know why you feel cancellations has to do with a certain amount, your transaction can get canceled for many reasons from transaction history to country's reputation etc. It is up to the client to call them and pass through the verification process, a very simple task!

1 Like

Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Yankee101: 4:52am On Feb 09
abbey621:

I've worked in the financial sector for many years, many transactions are canceled, lot of money is defined by Western Union not the customer! Don't know why you feel cancellations has to do with a certain amount, your transaction can get canceled for many reasons from transaction history to country's reputation etc. It is up to the client to call them and pass through the verification process, a very simple task!

Read what I wrote very well
After all your arguments you still concurred

1 Like

Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Emmanuel909090: 5:49am On Feb 09
ASHTAROTH:
Switch to different payment services. Dem dey mad!
But whatever you do never ever use Revolut.

Why not Revolut
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Bigkoko: 6:46am On Feb 09
This is where you get it wrong. It's your employer who has that issues and it naturally affected you been a recipient. It's your employer that needs to clear doubts and there's a way it's done.

If it's work related payment, your employer knows how to send it. Sending salaries as gifts is a red flag because of tax related stuffs!
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Bigkoko: 6:47am On Feb 09
You nailed it!

abbey621:

1 Like

Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Sleekfingers: 8:10am On Feb 09
Anashe:

Because they thought you were cashing out fraudulently. And it's a surprise to them that people can gift each other those kinds of money legitimately

I am telling you. So annoying. My friend told me that, he blasted them.
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by dejavubobo1(m): 8:26am On Feb 09
Ojemedad:

Open dom account, although it may take 2-3 days before you will receive it after sending andthe rate is very good, you can even decide to withdraw and sell to aboki
Banks dont pay usd. I got naira value @1300naira to a dollar
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by dejavubobo1(m): 8:28am On Feb 09
TIDDOLL:

Sorry to hear about this, you can explore other means to get paid remotely though, to avoid all this unnecessary issues.
Platforms like Payoneer can be a good one, well except for their charges

I personally use "Plane" formally known as pilot, but that needs to be established between you and your employer.
Payoneer" I tried paypal but it doesn't work in Nigeria most of this international money transit accounts dont function in Nigeria
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by FrenchyL(m): 10:23am On Feb 09
Ideally, you should not be paid a salary using a Remittance platform. There are virtual HR companies that can help your employer with this service from a payroll perspective. It is also not good for you as per tax requirements because when the FIRS or LIRS come for you, you go explain tire- So my advise to you is to speak with your employer to properly streamline the payment process as per Nigeria labor law requirements so that you do not get into trouble at some point.
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by dejavubobo1(m): 11:49am On Feb 09
FrenchyL:
Ideally, you should not be paid a salary using a Remittance platform. There are virtual HR companies that can help your employer with this service from a payroll perspective. It is also not good for you as per tax requirements because when the FIRS or LIRS come for you, you go explain tire- So my advise to you is to speak with your employer to properly streamline the payment process as per Nigeria labor law requirements so that you do not get into trouble at some point.
So how do you advise my employer/contractor pay me. Not crypto or didgital banking. I've sg ted it and the reply was NO
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Ojemedad: 12:28pm On Feb 09
dejavubobo1:

Banks dont pay usd. I got naira value @1300naira to a dollar
As at last year I used to withdraw my dollar cash from GTB and change it at aboki with juicy rate, don’t know of recent

1 Like

Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Mo6M: 12:41pm On Feb 09
OPEN A GREY FOREIGN ACCOUNT.. ITS SEAMLESS
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by abbey621(m): 1:20pm On Feb 09
Yankee101:

Read what I wrote very well
After all your arguments you still concurred

You literally started your comment with it's not a lot of money! So no I did not concur!
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Yankee101: 5:22pm On Feb 09
abbey621:

You literally started your comment with it's not a lot of money! So no I did not concur!

This is from the poster

Got a little weekly pay job from an academy in Europe

So who is wrong? Did you even read his post before trying to counter?
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by abbey621(m): 5:36pm On Feb 09
Yankee101:

This is from the poster

Got a little weekly pay job from an academy in Europe

So who is wrong? Did you even read his post before trying to counter?

I wasn't responding to the poster, I was responding to your comment which stated he must have done something shady.....You were the one that made mention of amount and I subsequently told you, the amount has nothing to do with cancellation. Any amount can be flagged.....I don't know what you're arguing here but ENOUGH!

1 Like

Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Yankee101: 5:43pm On Feb 09
abbey621:

I wasn't responding to the poster, I was responding to your comment which stated he must have done something shady.....You were the one that made mention of amount and I subsequently told you, the amount has nothing to do with cancellation. Any amount can be flagged.....I don't know what you're arguing here but ENOUGH!

You’re not the only one who has fin experience

You just displayed your lack of comprehension

Read full posts and understand them before you respond if not there are people knowledgeable enough to call you out
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by abbey621(m): 5:49pm On Feb 09
Yankee101:

You’re not the only one who has fin experience

You just displayed your lack of comprehension

Read full posts and understand them before you respond if not there are people knowledgeable enough to call you out

Comedy grin grin grin
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by Yankee101: 5:51pm On Feb 09
abbey621:

Comedy grin grin grin

Good. You can use one liners and dodge what your ignorance has led you into
Re: Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions by abbey621(m): 9:39pm On Feb 09
Yankee101:

Good. You can use one liners and dodge what your ignorance has led you into

Nah....It would just be a waste of my time and energy to indulge you further.......I make at least 100 dollars every hour, surely you can appreciate me not wanting to waste my time......Shalom!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meaning Of CEO, MD And Chairman Of A Company / EFCC Recovers N1bn From Ponzi Scheme Suspects In Rivers / Gtbank, Zenith, Fidelity, Unity Bank Under Investigation For Data Breach: NDPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.