Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira (23424 Views)

Floating Of Naira Worst Economic Decision - PENGASSAN / Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu / Petrol: Marketers Fault Subsidy Removal Process As Queues Return (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by ivolt: 7:15pm On Feb 09
Akwamkpuruamu:

They are mopping up your produce. Farmers can't go to farm because of insecurity and high cost of apric inputs. The little they produce, neighbours come and buy it off.

Ask Bulaba to subsidise agric inputs
You guys should stop using the "mopping up" phrase as if it was just invented.

It is not as if the exporters are committing a grave crime.
The last time I checked, the Nigerian export promotion council is still running ads on
why foreigners should buy from Nigeria including Agric products.

The funny thing is, nobody is complaining about Agric exports to Europe and Asia,
they are only angry because the neighbouring countries are the destination.
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by just2endowed: 7:19pm On Feb 09
finishmatter:
Exactly. This is actually one of d benefits of devaluation.

Oga it benefit neighbouring country because it make them to buy your farm produce very cheap, thereby leading to food scarcity for the locals. For this to work, you must have surplus export over import so that it will encourage neighbourinf country to buy cheap.

But in a situation where your import is greater than your export and you went to devalue your currency, the few export u had will be fleet upon by your neighbouring countries or the international market, which will lead to scarcity for local consumption produce.

I hope I break everything down very well for you. Before you devalue, there are economics effect for it.
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by History555: 7:29pm On Feb 09
Economics teaches us one of the benefits of devaluation is to encourage export. This one some people are kicking against it..... e be like say Economics no consider one country like Nigeria to turn every theory upside down
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by femicyrus(m): 7:30pm On Feb 09
Civetcat:
“Our food products are the cheapest around the neighbourhood,” Senator Kyari declared.

So produce more . This is exactly what the policy is supposed to do. More exports means more forex and the inability of farmers from neighbouring to compete on price . Kick this one out already
you don't get it.
Even if you produce x10, a poor man in neighboring countries can afford to buy 9 of it while a rich man in Nigeria cannot buy 1 in other countries.
The naira is of no value

That is the main issue
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by Forumobserver12(m): 7:31pm On Feb 09
Opinedecandid:
Nice from them.
Posterity will vindicate them for speaking up.

Posterity for being traitors or what? I don't support this government cos I know they have nothing to offer other than enrich themselves with our common wealth, however, the ministers has no moral right to publicly criticise the economic policies of the they are serving in as ministers..
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by samsard(m): 7:32pm On Feb 09
Civetcat:
“Our food products are the cheapest around the neighbourhood,” Senator Kyari declared.

So produce more . This is exactly what the policy is supposed to do. More exports means more forex and the inability of farmers from neighbouring to compete on price . Kick this one out already
How do you produce more when farmers and farms aren't safe? Do you think the minister will produce the food by himself?
A lot of the agrarian villages have been sacked by armed herders who kill our people for sports.
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by Ategberoson(m): 7:34pm On Feb 09
a4cube:
Story.

Anything that will soothe your ignorance is what you find joy with

It is well with you
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by advanceDNA: 7:35pm On Feb 09
Codes151:
It’s now I know northerners know nothing about economy.

How does economy worsen or fall due to subsidy removal?

How does floating of naira destroy economy. ??

Make una Dey read before commenting.

Floating of naira should not be this devastating unless there are people hoarding foreign currencies.

Maybe if you guys start putting value to things in naira we won’t be so dependent on dollars that you don’t know how them Dey print am

Baba...na u no understand Nigeria economy..
Two problem with this country is that We are a nation dangerously reliant on imports and the government is heavily stealing our foreign earnings

Mention anything goods in Nigeria....including what we produce here and I will show u one or two stages of the production chain that is dependent on imports(dollar)

. Even our local farming rely on fertilizers that is imported.. in 2022 alone Nigeria imported over 300 million dollars worth of fertilizers....

Immediately the government stopped subsidizing the naira... I.e floating it...the naira went to its original value....and importers of foods and other goods we use started bringing goods at expensive rate ...

Manufactures who rely on imported materials in their supply chain also add to increase cost of goods...e.g bread, local rice, chicken, eggs

Go to countries like Kuwait and Oman...they don't produce anything like Nigeria and use imported good alot.. but they use their foreign earnings tru crude oil to stabilize their exchange rate to the same unit as pounds....there by helping their importers to bring in food at cheaper rate..

Imagine the exchange rate being 1naira to one pound....things will be cheap...Thats how Oman's currency is...

No nation should live without subsidy of major goods ......it's how the government help to manage price....and not let the economy go haywire..

Azerbaijan, Georgia, Tunisia even pays subsidy on flour...to keep price of bread, burgers pizza and bread related food at the minimum...

Baba..we are too heavily dependent on imports... Once u significantly fvck with exchange rate like it's happening now.....it will cause problem...we are not ready for floating...

The bad part is they clueless clowns floated the naira and expecting the economy to fix itself.....they ddnt channel the money they saved to subsidize other raw materials that will promote local manufacturers to produce goods we need......

... Dey are playing or they are just wicked...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by Thomasankara(m): 7:39pm On Feb 09
[/color]why are obidients always aggressive, hope u know, it's not only ur party that contested?[color=#770077]
christejames:
They should resign if they don't want to join our Tinubu in teaching Peter Obi and his supporters a bitter lesson shocked
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by Basicend: 7:41pm On Feb 09
Sirs,

Floating of the naira was the major issue. Very ill timed and unnecessary.

The subsidy removal on PMS imports was due and OK.
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by Uncletony(m): 7:49pm On Feb 09
Clowns in big public offices!. Assist the farmers to be more productive. Kill competition from neighbors and dominate.
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by surgical: 7:52pm On Feb 09
Codes151:
It’s now I know northerners know nothing about economy.

How does economy worsen or fall due to subsidy removal?

How does floating of naira destroy economy. ??

Make una Dey read before commenting.

Floating of naira should not be this devastating unless there are people hoarding foreign currencies.

Maybe if you guys start putting value to things in naira we won’t be so dependent on dollars that you don’t know how them Dey print am
please endeavour to send your children to school so they won't be like you

2 Likes

Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by Deepthoughts: 7:58pm On Feb 09
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by skj1377(m): 8:02pm On Feb 09
Well I hope Tinubu will see reason to change his policy
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by oyeb15: 8:02pm On Feb 09
Nobody want to identify with failure. Tinubu has failed. Fuel remain expensive, wage is stagnant, government keep looting funds instead of pushing funds out to smes,grant, loans etc.

Inflation started battling ,low production,high transportation,high food prices, and our Naira continue to go down.

The foolish president can only think open food reserve is d solution. Food reserve dat exit not. The best way now is to open our boaders for cheap import of everyday commodities and then government empower farmers,smes, curtail herdsmen , empower youths and unemployed etc

And d more fuel remain unaffordable to Nigerias, our Naira will continue to go down.
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by RepoMan007: 8:05pm On Feb 09
How can cup of rice go for N250-N300?

The Naira became weaker.
Demand increased because new buyers saw cheap goods.
Supply dwindled and traders can't stay hungry until August harvest.
Now we are experiencing August in February.

God help us.

As for export. We are used to one major harvest season and the govt didn't make plans to improve that before pulling the plug off subsidy and naira defence. It was a very incomplete policy.
Production ought to have been ramped up in anticipation of such a cruel policy. I wonder where farmer will get input from next year now.
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by IkeAbuja: 8:12pm On Feb 09
christejames:
They should resign if they don't want to join our Tinubu in teaching Peter Obi and his supporters a bitter lesson shocked
most times it baffles me how we live and reason in this country the poor masses are suffering most of them coming from your Tinubu region and you think you're teaching Peter Obi a lesson HOW? Please young man you can think and do better stop reasoning like a 🧟‍♀️
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by khattab02: 8:14pm On Feb 09
It insensible of government to do all that without appropriate plan on ground.

Like Buhari like Tinubu.

Where are the money saved from the subsidy removal??

Where are the CNG Buses??

Failed promises
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by Maobichek: 8:17pm On Feb 09
christejames:

Hahahaaa! Are you dam serious here? Of a truth, I'm not against removal of subsidy but floating Naira at the same time is wickedness, evil, devilish and uncalled for.

1 Like

Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by UmarFaruk98: 8:38pm On Feb 09
falconey:

Who them be? Where is my two by two?

Northerners get mind o, you fault your president policies? A Government you are currently part of

You're so daft..
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by Codes151(m): 8:44pm On Feb 09
advanceDNA:

Baba...na u no understand Nigeria economy..
Two problem with this country is that We are a nation dangerously reliant on imports and the government is heavily stealing our foreign earnings

Mention anything goods in Nigeria....including what we produce here and I will show u one or two stages of the production chain that is dependent on imports(dollar)

. Even our local farming rely on fertilizers that is imported.. in 2022 alone Nigeria imported over 300 million dollars worth of fertilizers....

Immediately the government stopped subsidizing the naira... I.e floating it...the naira went to its original value....and importers of foods and other goods we use started bringing goods at expensive rate ...

Manufactures who rely on imported materials in their supply chain also add to increase cost of goods...e.g bread, local rice, chicken, eggs

Go to countries like Kuwait and Oman...they don't produce anything like Nigeria and use imported good alot.. but they use their foreign earnings tru crude oil to stabilize their exchange rate to the same unit as pounds....there by helping their importers to bring in food at cheaper rate..

Imagine the exchange rate being 1naira to one pound....things will be cheap...Thats how Oman's currency is...

No nation should live without subsidy of major goods ......it's how the government help to manage price....and not let the economy go haywire..

Azerbaijan, Georgia, Tunisia even pays subsidy on flour...to keep price of bread, burgers pizza and bread related food at the minimum...

Baba..we are too heavily dependent on imports... Once u significantly fvck with exchange rate like it's happening now.....it will cause problem...we are not ready for floating...

The bad part is they clueless clowns floated the naira and expecting the economy to fix itself.....they ddnt channel the money they saved to subsidize other raw materials that will promote local manufacturers to produce goods we need......

... Dey are playing or they are just wicked...

that’s what I mean in summary.

Floating the naira or subsidy should not ruin us like this.

Rather it’s the lack of indigenous businesses and wickedness of some. We are importing unnecessary
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by Codes151(m): 8:45pm On Feb 09
surgical:
please endeavour to send your children to school so they won't be like you
please shift lemme talk to sane people. Read the thread and see meaning quotes and comment. Not an illiterate respond like urs.
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by finishmatter: 8:51pm On Feb 09
DeepSight:

Devaluation is suicide for an import dependent economy.

Not entirely true. It has positive n negative outcomes
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by finishmatter: 8:53pm On Feb 09
Maobichek:

Hahahaaa! Are you dam serious here? Of a truth, I'm not against removal of subsidy but floating Naira at the same time is wickedness, evil, devilish and uncalled for.

Exactly. I have always been against these policies taking off at the same time. it's pure madness

1 Like

Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by advanceDNA: 9:00pm On Feb 09
Codes151:

Rather it’s the lack of indigenous businesses and wickedness of some. We are importing unnecessary

Baba ...floating the currency is supposed to be like this because the government ddnt channel the funds they are not using to fix the currency into other subsidy that will promote local manufacturing ....... they are just embezzling it

... They were just expecting demand and supply forces on the currency to normalize everything...that's not how it will work

Another problem.....they blocked access to fx at the banks with new tough requirements.. everybody now ran to the black market...what did they think will happen......??

1 Like

Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by impeccablephili: 9:02pm On Feb 09
Civetcat:

Do you think the buyers are stupid? Since USD is not our official currency, they will convert their currency to the devalued naira and have more money to buy the produce.
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by Cooky007(m): 9:03pm On Feb 09
Thieve they have been beneficiarys feeding big on the subsidy money and now that all Nigerians are benefiting from the subsidy removal makes them unhappy and creating problems for the country. Really Mq. president has good intentions for this country. The main problem is those advising him. May God help us.
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by pocom16: 9:03pm On Feb 09
a4cube:
In a sane country its either they are sacked or they resign since the policy is not in tandem with their vision.

They president don't have balls to sack and they are integrity challenged to resign.

What we have now is executive officers that are not on the same page.

Two northern ministers. Are you thinking what I am thinking?

Lol ..sack them for what exactly...are they the ones who floated the naira and removed subsidy?
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by pocom16: 9:08pm On Feb 09
Codes151:

Don't deceive yourself...

There is nothing to be surprised about..

The floating of naira and removal of subsidy is going to take us even further than this..

We have always lacked industries and imported..

There is nothing we are importing that is highly unnecessary..
More than 45% of our Forex goes into importing refined petroleum..is that unnecessary?..no

What bulaba should have done is ensure all refineries.both Dangote and NNPC are running first...and invest into our oil industry to pump enough oil to cater for these local refineries and still export to maintain our meagre Forex inflows..

This will automatically save up 45% of our reserves..
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by DeepSight(m): 9:12pm On Feb 09
finishmatter:

Not entirely true. It has positive n negative outcomes

I will say it again. But this time, please take a deep breath, no: three deep breaths, and read it very slowly, with deepest thoughts on the bold. Here goes:

Devaluation is suicide for an import dependent economy.

Now let that sink in slowly, like I said, again, with emphasis on the bold.

If you still have trouble with it, please first reflect on the question : in what scenario will devaluation favour an import dependent economy. And also on the question: if you import everything (in Nigeria we import even toothpicks) will devaluation not mean you consistently have to pay more of your currency for less dollars in order to obtain goods, something that thus becomes a vicious cycle.

Understand this: devaluation can only possibly be of any good to a robust producing economy. An industrial one - such as Japan, China or South Korea.

If with these, you cannot see the light in what I say, revert.
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by Bimpe29: 9:12pm On Feb 09
I am not following...
Re: Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira by tnerro1(m): 9:20pm On Feb 09
Hadiza go soon use eraser clean their name from the list

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Don’t Order My Sack, Mbu Begs Court / Osinbajo To Receive Alaibe, 69 Other PDP Defectors In Bayelsa / Why This Borno Man Loves Buhari(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.