Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,730 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food (30797 Views)

Revolution Has Started' - Aisha Yesufu On Looting Of Truck Carrying Food Items I / London Judge Orders Confiscation Of $130M From Ex-governor Ibori / Niger Bans Rice Export To Nigeria Following Closure Of Nigeria’s Borders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by NwokoloOwa: 10:56am On Feb 10
malali:
This is an Intelligent Decision by Niger state Governor.

[b]Controlling the open market to prevent bulk buyers from causing scarcity for small retail buyers involves implementing various measures and strategies:

Regulatory Policies: Implement regulations to prevent hoarding and price manipulation by bulk buyers. This may include setting limits on the quantity of goods an individual or entity can purchase within a specific timeframe.

Market Monitoring: Establish mechanisms for monitoring market activities to detect irregularities such as hoarding or price gouging. This could involve regulatory bodies, market surveillance teams, or technology-driven solutions like data analytics to track market trends and detect anomalies.

Price Controls: Consider implementing price controls or price ceilings on essential food items to prevent excessive price hikes that disproportionately affect small retail buyers. However, this approach should be carefully implemented to avoid unintended consequences such as black markets or reduced supply due to unprofitability.

Supply Chain Management: Improve supply chain management to ensure efficient distribution of goods from producers to retailers. This includes addressing logistical challenges, improving infrastructure, and promoting transparency and fairness in the supply chain.

Support for Small Retailers: Provide support and incentives for small retailers to enhance their purchasing power and competitiveness. This could include access to credit, training programs, and cooperative purchasing arrangements to leverage economies of scale.

Market Information: Facilitate access to timely and accurate market information for both bulk buyers and small retailers. This empowers market participants to make informed decisions and reduces the likelihood of sudden shortages or price spikes.

Promote Competition: Encourage competition in the market by reducing barriers to entry for new players and fostering a diverse supplier base. This can help mitigate the dominance of large bulk buyers and create a more level playing field for small retailers.

Public Awareness and Education: Raise public awareness about responsible consumption practices and the impact of hoarding on market stability. Educating consumers about their rights and responsibilities can help foster a culture of fair trade and discourage speculative behavior.

By implementing a combination of regulatory measures, market monitoring, supply chain improvements, support for small retailers, and promoting competition and consumer education, authorities can better control the open market and mitigate the adverse effects of bulk buyers on small retail buyers.[/b]

In my view you are begging the question with all these submissions for a matter that the root causes are simple and clear to identify.

Niger State should tackle the acute infrastructural decay that has held the state down for several years. As the largest state in the country (over 76,000 sq km) and the richest in terms of agricultural and natural resources, Niger or indeed any state in Nigeria has no business regulating the supply of food. The government should go to work and improve on the weak infrastructure from Minna to Paiko, to Tegina to Bida to Kontangora to Kagara etc all major natural resources districts and food zones, As we speak a lot of the farmers are experiencing wastages due very poor accessibility for evacuation of produce and lack of modern storage facilities both for the perishables and non perishables.

And of course the security challenges have affected farming and businesses so badly and need urgent national and sub national approach to solutions.

Lets face and tackle our root causes instead of these palliative approaches also being popularized by the Tinubu administration. Prosperity can NEVER be achieved through palliatives or knee jerk solutions that are not enduring.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by ufotunang: 11:02am On Feb 10
Righthussle:
I'm always surprised when Christians complain about hardship. It's either they don't know how powerful their god is, or their god has lost his power, or they're not asking in the proper name of their god. A god that turned water to wine in a party should be able to turn sand to rice or garri, stones to pieces of meat in a time like this for his worshippers.

John 14:14, If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Make una try ask na and stop complaining. Abi him power don finish?

How we wey no dey worship any "powerful" god dey complain, Christians and Muslims wey claim say their god dey powerful dey complain too.
...the Bible says faith prayers without work is dead...the Bible says I will bless the hands of your labour, your jobs, your work...the Bible says no food for a lazy man .. for a person to pray to God for food and he folds his hands expecting God to bring down food from heaven or change anything to food...in the eyes of God such person is lazy... when the God says if you shall ask for anything in my name, I will do it...it does not mean that when you ask God for food that he will bring down food from heaven to give to the person or change stone, sand to food.. that is not what he meant
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by kunyeo(m): 11:17am On Feb 10
One thing about this forum is that there are a lot of sadists and their characteristic is to enjoy any bad news about Nigeria so as to blame the government forgetting that there is a difference between loving your country and loving the government.
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by The1960writer: 11:18am On Feb 10
Righthussle:
I'm always surprised when Christians complain about hardship. It's either they don't know how powerful their god is, or their god has lost his power, or they're not asking in the proper name of their god. A god that turned water to wine in a party should be able to turn sand to rice or garri, stones to pieces of meat in a time like this for his worshippers.

John 14:14, If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Make una try ask na and stop complaining. Abi him power don finish?

How we wey no dey worship any "powerful" god dey complain, Christians and Muslims wey claim say their god dey powerful dey complain too.

You typed this same message as a response to another post and now, one would wonder, what does this have to do with the Niger State governor's decision regarding a state that is predominantly Muslim? One could see there was no mention of Christianity or any religion in the post.

However, your post betrays you in the manner of exposing your biased judgements and employment of sentiments that are of no relevance in an objective situation.

This news relates to the political and socio-economic development of the nation, why don't you take out your extremist, religious views on the pastor, parents that made you disbelieve or hate the 'god' you mentioned? Learn to keep your beliefs to yourself, brother. Noone asked for this opinion you rendered.
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by Drbarmes(m): 11:20am On Feb 10
We really need this policy in all food producing northern states. We never chop belleful but some greedy people go pack all the food go sell to foreigners.

1 Like

Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by caye(m): 11:22am On Feb 10
Thegamingorca:
This will help curb population

200 million ppl will soon become 20 million or less
The will of you World Economic Forum puppets, for massive depopulation of Afrika...by the grace of Olodumare, will be frustrated.

Kaka kii a ku,
ẹyin nii ẹ máa wọlẹ̀ ( buried).
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by Coronavirus1: 11:29am On Feb 10
buharibanjo:

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2024/02/09/hardship-niger-gov-bans-bulk-sale-of-food-items-orders-confiscation-of-trucks-carrying-foodstuff/
Let all state continue to produce their own food .let the oil production state sale their oil to Niger state more expensive 1500 par liters, so they can buy more food from other state who are ready to sale

1 Like

Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by writeprof(m): 11:29am On Feb 10
buharibanjo:

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2024/02/09/hardship-niger-gov-bans-bulk-sale-of-food-items-orders-confiscation-of-trucks-carrying-foodstuff/

Daily Trust is not to be trusted at all for saying that foreign exchange is responsible for the economic situations instead of the INCREASE IN FUEL PUMP PRICE.
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by justmondris: 11:33am On Feb 10
oskopy:
Very soon, there will be scarcity of cash in poor niger state.the decision will have a very big side effect

He made this decision because the available food products are not enough for them to buy. It's a good move and he can ease the restriction as time when more food items are available.

1 Like

Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by Andrea781: 11:41am On Feb 10
buharibanjo:

I wonder where Nigerians get their leaders from I think they are from the Mars, the way they think is out of this world.

2 Likes

Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by IchakaNdiNso: 11:44am On Feb 10
Some people asked, if nah statistics we go chop.

Why can’t the Governor look for a way to increase production of Agro produce
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by Righthussle: 11:47am On Feb 10
The1960writer:

You typed this same message as a response to another post and now, one would wonder, what does this have to do with the Niger State governor's decision regarding a state that is predominantly Muslim? One could see there was no mention of Christianity or any religion in the post.

However, your post betrays you in the manner of exposing your biased judgements and employment of sentiments that are of no relevance in an objective situation.

This news relates to the political and socio-economic development of the nation, why don't you take out your extremist, religious views on the pastor, parents that made you disbelieve or hate the 'god' you mentioned? Learn to keep your beliefs to yourself, brother. Noone asked for this opinion you rendered.

Have you heard of "evangelism" and "jihad" ?
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by VEE2010(m): 11:49am On Feb 10
This decision is anti-people.
Why am I saying that?
Affected farmers grew their produce to make ends meet. Preventing them from selling their products in a competitive market is the greatest intimidation and loss any government has ever inflicted on its people.
As a government, you do not unfairly burden others with solving such an economic challenge in your state.
I will suggest a noble and fair way to handle a situation like this;

1. Create government warehouses across major locations in the state
2. Engage farmers and buy products from them at prevailing market prices
3. Sell the items to citizens at subsidized rates
4. Create strict conditions to discourage bulk purchasing of these products
5. Engage security agencies to ensure that items purchased at subsidized rates are not taken out of the state

1 Like

Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by Thinktwicemybro: 11:49am On Feb 10
malali:

[b]Controlling the open market to prevent bulk buyers from causing scarcity for small retail buyers involves implementing various measures and strategies:

Regulatory Policies: Implement regulations to prevent hoarding and price manipulation by bulk buyers. This may include setting limits on the quantity of goods an individual or entity can purchase within a specific timeframe.

Market Monitoring: Establish mechanisms for monitoring market activities to detect irregularities such as hoarding or price gouging. This could involve regulatory bodies, market surveillance teams, or technology-driven solutions like data analytics to track market trends and detect anomalies.

Price Controls: Consider implementing price controls or price ceilings on essential food items to prevent excessive price hikes that disproportionately affect small retail buyers. However, this approach should be carefully implemented to avoid unintended consequences such as black markets or reduced supply due to unprofitability.

Supply Chain Management: Improve supply chain management to ensure efficient distribution of goods from producers to retailers. This includes addressing logistical challenges, improving infrastructure, and promoting transparency and fairness in the supply chain.

Support for Small Retailers: Provide support and incentives for small retailers to enhance their purchasing power and competitiveness. This could include access to credit, training programs, and cooperative purchasing arrangements to leverage economies of scale.

Market Information: Facilitate access to timely and accurate market information for both bulk buyers and small retailers. This empowers market participants to make informed decisions and reduces the likelihood of sudden shortages or price spikes.

Promote Competition: Encourage competition in the market by reducing barriers to entry for new players and fostering a diverse supplier base. This can help mitigate the dominance of large bulk buyers and create a more level playing field for small retailers.

Public Awareness and Education: Raise public awareness about responsible consumption practices and the impact of hoarding on market stability. Educating consumers about their rights and responsibilities can help foster a culture of fair trade and discourage speculative behavior.

By implementing a combination of regulatory measures, market monitoring, supply chain improvements, support for small retailers, and promoting competition and consumer education, authorities can better control the open market and mitigate the adverse effects of bulk buyers on small retail buyers.[/b]

So we are now in a communist government? Abeg make una dey try use una brain.
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by Thinktwicemybro: 11:53am On Feb 10
Thegamingorca:
This will help curb population

200 million ppl will soon become 20 million or less
Why not d*e since population is your problem.
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by Righthussle: 11:54am On Feb 10
ufotunang:
...the Bible says faith prayers without work is dead...the Bible says I will bless the hands of your labour, your jobs, your work...the Bible says no food for a lazy man .. for a person to pray to God for food and he folds his hands expecting God to bring down food from heaven or change anything to food...in the eyes of God such person is lazy... when the God says if you shall ask for anything in my name, I will do it...it does not mean that when you ask God for food that he will bring down food from heaven to give to the person or change stone, sand to food.. that is not what he meant

Oga, a god turned water to wine shouldn't give excuses when asked to turn sand to rice. Leave plenty talk. Shey una dey say , "he was god yesterday, today, and forever more".
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by Righthussle: 11:56am On Feb 10
ahmedio2017:

How is Islam a scam? Just tell me with evidence oooo.

Firstly do you know the meaning of Islam?
Even Jesus, Moses, Aaron, Abraham, Solomon David are all Muslims. How did they worship their lord? Just be playing o, u better go and upgrade yourself.... Knowledge is very important, Jesus Christ PBUH knew nothing about Christianity, and Moses is jew Hope u know the meaning of Judaism as well?

You people always say you worship the same god as Christians.
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by ahmedio2017(m): 12:09pm On Feb 10
Righthussle:

You people always say you worship the same god as Christians.

Lolz, no o, don't get it twisted Christians are worshiping Jesus while Muslims are worshiping the God that Jesus himself worshiped do you get it now?
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by Deepthoughts: 12:14pm On Feb 10
buharibanjo:

Did the governor thought of repercussions of this order properly so?, somebody sensible should please talk some sense into the governor's head quickly before tit for tat begins, leadership is not by gragra,the APC style abeg!

1 Like

Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by The1960writer: 12:14pm On Feb 10
Righthussle:

Have you heard of "evangelism" and "jihad" ?

Well, at least, they have a message with documented history over time. What is your own message? I'm not talking about what you heard others say about this 'god' you aggrieved about.

When those who engage in 'evangelism' go out, they talk about the Jesus they know and his love for mankind, they do not quote scriptures from an atheist Bible like you did to justify their anger against atheism like it was an argumentative essay.

When those who engage in 'jihad' go out, they do so out of their conviction about Mohammed and their god, they don't give a rat ass about the beliefs of others. They are dogged.

So I ask a rhetorical question, what is your own message? I say rhetorical because I don't expect an answer from you and I won't engage you further. What is your conviction? What is the basis of your conviction? Are you in this because you believe beyond all doubts or it's because of a deep seated anger towards a particular 'god' you think doesn't exist? According to the world facts, there are many gods. Why are your thoughts particularly bitter against this 'god' you think the Christians worship? Why didn't you quote the Qur'an in your write-up? Muslims also believe their god provides for them.

I'll leave you to your atheistical 'evangelism' and 'jihad'. Preach on, righthussle! The world is yours!
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by jalaludeen1(m): 12:26pm On Feb 10
ivolt:

Nope, it is a dumb move.
Niger does not farm for for its residents alone.
If he succeeds in artificially forcing down price of goods within Niger,
some farmers will incur losses.
The next farming season would even be worse as many farmers lose their incentive to farm.

The farmers are not losing anything, the farmers have long sold their farm produce to the middle men who are just hording the foods to create artificial scarcity. Last year the farmers sold a bag of maze for 17 to 21k, only for the middle men to sale it for 43 to 50k without doing anything to improve the production. The governor knows what he is doing in my opinion

2 Likes

Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by plaetton: 12:38pm On Feb 10
malali:

Which nonsense textbook are you reading from ?

Are you kidding me?
You have no idea how the food economy works, that's why you're writing this nonsense.

The so-called local villages do not and cannot have the capacity to consume the bulk food they produce. If the food items are not sold in bulk, the local economy, including the production of food, dies immediately.

I have been to Niger state, I have done this food business, and I can tell you categorically that the local villages depend entirely on bulk buyers and the commerce they bring to the local villages.
Villages and small towns eagerly look forward to market days because they depend on the commercial activities for survival.

Any mor. on that cuts off that lifeline that sustains the local village has just dropped a quick death sentence on the local villages.
Secondly, these producers of bulk food , aside from desperately needing the money from the sale of bulk food items, do not have storage facilities for store obviously perishable food items. So most likely, they would lose whatever they are not able to sell in bulk.
If they lose all their capital due to this policy, they would definitely not produce as much next farming season.

What then do you think will happen Mr. Genius ?
Less food in the land and much higher prices.

This is dumbest move I have ever heard any leader make.

This cannot even be described as an adhoc policy, because it is intended to achieve absolutely nothing but more hardships.

1 Like

Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by gaskiyamagana: 12:38pm On Feb 10
FutureFocus:

The insecurity is not in every states, if every state confront the killer herdsmen , there won’t be no room for them, this is what I think
You are right. How I wish jungle justice is melted on the killer herdsmen I am taking about. Believe it or not, many are still scared of farming because of those useless, parasitic Fulani herders. Open a thread on "How Fulani herders destroyed my farm" you will see what I am talking about, especially in the south west.
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by plaetton: 12:40pm On Feb 10
Andrea781:

I wonder where Nigerians get their leaders from I think they are from the Mars, the way they think is out of this world.
I wonder too o.

Then again, Nigerians deserve the leaders they get.
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by MadamExcellency: 12:46pm On Feb 10
Yashita:

Ok then, shut your palm oil supplies to them and see if they don’t look within and find ways to produce by themselves.

The North doesn't supply the fufu or garri which is the staple food in Eastern Nigeria. It is homegrown.
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by buharibanjo(m): 12:48pm On Feb 10
*dailypost
writeprof:

Daily Trust is not to be trusted at all for saying that foreign exchange is responsible for the economic situations instead of the INCREASE IN FUEL PUMP PRICE.
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by NAC1666: 12:50pm On Feb 10

1 Like

Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by ivolt: 12:52pm On Feb 10
jalaludeen1:

The farmers are not losing anything, the farmers have long sold their farm produce to the middle men who are just hording the foods to create artificial scarcity. Last year the farmers sold a bag of maze for 17 to 21k, only for the middle men to sale it for 43 to 50k without doing anything to improve the production. The governor knows what he is doing in my opinion
When you claim the middlemen don't do anything, when last have you gone
to the farm to buy tomato, pepper, rice and others directly from farmers?
If you don't do it, why? Since it involves nothing as you said.

Now to the price differential between farm and market prices.
Assuming the figure you give above is correct then the 43K price
is the price at which the middlemen thinks it is worth their time to engage in the business.
You should ask yourself why some middlemen are not selling at 23, 24 or 25K
since it is not a crime to sell at such prices.

In a sector that is not controlled by cartel such as farming, hoarding
is a symptom of scarcity disease and not the other way round.

Yes, the government intervention may temporarily reduce price, but
only adequate supply can solve hoarding.

Take petrol for example. Whenever there is scarcity, people blame hoarders
but fail to ask why the same hoarders did not hoard the product the previous
week or the previous months? Is it that they just became greedy overnight.
Nope, they simply started hoarding when they discovered there is scarcity.
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by eldoradoxx: 1:14pm On Feb 10
APC is a party for people without brains. Who told Niger State that the solution to hunger in their State is banning their farmers who invested in agriculture from making profit from their agribusiness by selling to bulk purchasers?
Ok, you ban the sale and what happens? The poor hungry people in Niger will then automatically have money to buy up everything?
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by Andrea781: 2:45pm On Feb 10
plaetton:

I wonder too o.

Then again, Nigerians deserve the leaders they get.

Not all of us just some people that likes evil
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by vonlogon: 2:55pm On Feb 10
Fiscus105:

You forgot that he didn't tell them to share or destroy them but not to sell them in bulk to outsiders

You forgot that after sell everything off to outsiders, the citizens of the state would still be eating to be alive.
I guess ur own state governor would find ways how Niger state people will be eaten.

In bible thr was a story...5 wise and 5 foolish virgins.

You belong to 5 foolish virgins.

I will take the insult is a joke.
In economics and reality, you don't buy what you are selling by yourself, you need outsiders to bring in values for your resources. Same way Nigeria as a whole needs other countries to buy her fuel. If Niger traps her resources in there, her farmers will be forced to sell cheaply to avoid waste and in turn loose their ROi.
...and by the way, mind the way you insult or use bad languages on people. Naira land is not as faceless as it seem. Your identity can be 95% verified here
Re: Niger Bans Bulk Sale Of Food Items, Orders Confiscation Of Trucks Carrying Food by efficiencie(m): 4:00pm On Feb 10
oskopy:
Very soon, there will be scarcity of cash in poor niger state.the decision will have a very big side effect

Which cash? You mean the cash that is increasingly becoming worthless with double-digit inflation and four-digit exchange rate? They can return to barter economy. A bagco bag full of food items is worth more than some people's 5-figure salary. The policy is a great policy to forestall a crisis because if the starvation becomes the only reality facing the people you will see the dark side of people real quick.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Peter Obi Joins Muslims For Iftar At Mosque In Nasarawa State. / Power Struggle Rocks APC / Boko Haram Terrorists Ambush Soldiers In Borno, Scores Feared Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.