Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,492 members, 7,830,487 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi (25541 Views)

I Won’t Govern Like A Dictator – Fubara / NLC Protests: Why Nigeria's Economy Is In Such A Mess - BBC News / 'Tinubu Can’t Hold A Teacup’ — Najaatu Muhammad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Tom1960: 3:29pm On Feb 10
This is what you get when you act on impulse. Tinubu should have dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's before removing fuel subsidy. But boom ! Fuel subsidy is gone and now we are facing the negative results. Shame on all clueless Nigerian politicians from top to bottom.

2 Likes

Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Everydaylove: 3:29pm On Feb 10
4Play:

This is one of the things that annoys me with the Tinubu fan club who place blame on Buhari for today's situation. Without Tinubu's staunch support for the 8 years of Buhari's regime and before, Buhari would not have wreaked the havoc he did. To now suggest that he should be given more time to clean up Buhari's mess beggars belief. He traded his countrymen's well being, literally their lives, for his own personal ambition to be president. One cannot separate today's circumstances from the people who facilitated it.

Shebi na dem suffer pass now. I hope we get it right next election.
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by ivolt: 3:30pm On Feb 10
4Play:

Being CBN governor at a time of rapidly increasing oil prices, which comes with increasing forex inflow, is different from being governor at a time of oil prices being stagnant or falling and your predecessor ran forex reserves low and printed naira to support government spending. It's an entirely different set of circumstances.
Your argument is essentially that anybody or people could be recruited or appointed
to work in CBN as long as you have high oil price and the results will be the same.

Increase oil price is useless if you are spendthrift.
The excess reserve could have been totally spent on infrastructures
so the president can commission liability projects and pat himself on the back.

Oil prices were lower during OBJ's era than now but that is irrelevant. What matters is that they were much higher, and rapidly increasing, compared to the preceding 2 decades. That's part of why things felt better for Nigerians.

The bold is completely false.
I supposed you just wrote based on assumption.
You don't have to take my word for it, go ahead and check the prices
of oil between 1999 and 2007, get their average and compare with the 2 decades you
referred to.
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Kukutenla: 3:32pm On Feb 10
SweetVibe:

Was it not the same Northern cabals that collaborate with the CIA to take him out after what he did to Musa Yar'Adua and some other big wigs?
Yeah. Stories that exist in your head
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Mandate1: 3:33pm On Feb 10
Nvestor02:
Well, Tinubu is really trying in the Aso Rock. His Confidence to remove oil subsidy will forever melt the heart of reasonable Nigerians forever.

Now, He has increased the State allocations by 41percentage and that would surely lead to building of more infrastructure in the country.

We are already seeing the good result of this because there are many federal road and state road under construction. If not the governors that have wounded local govt chairman. The infrastructure would have been taken to the lowest part.

I'm very sure that before March, another Minimum wage would have been implemented, the negotiation is already going on.

If Only Tinubu can now focus on the security and lower it to the minimum, then he will be the best president forever.

Talking about Electricity, Light will be good when Nigerians are ready for it. Vast majority of them don't pay nepa bill.

If they start paying, the Private company that's holding power will invest more and it and make electricity be 24/7.
Oga, elections are over, pls come to reality. Nigerians are dying of hunger.

1 Like

Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Kukutenla: 3:41pm On Feb 10
ArewaNorth:

You must be daft to pour this emotional hatred against North. If we are hypocrite we would vote for Atiku but we rejected him for Tinubu.
This your post reeks of foolishness. You voted for Tinubu because of his Muslim Muslim ticket and Buhari's open support for him and even with that, he still lost most states in the North. Yobe that has never voted PDP was won by Atiku.
I've deleted the rest of your comments because they are meaningless drivel

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Kukutenla: 3:42pm On Feb 10
JuanDeDios:

Err, what do you mean by the above, sir? You disagree with the policy of NNPCL warehousing its receipts with the CBN?
Totally!!
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Ken4Christ: 3:44pm On Feb 10
I
Faiththatworks:
Thanks very much Oga kperogi for the wonderful suggestions in this article.
I appreciate Oga kperogi for not going back to the need to reintroduce Petrol Subsidy,most of his articles used to always criticize the removal of Fuel subsidy,but I appreciate him for going past that suggestion,and instead proffering solutions to the hardship in Nigeria.
I have always said Nairaland should be the bastion of intellectual discourse online in Nigeria.
Nairaland should be a forum where Government officials resort to when they are trying to assess the mood and tension on what's going on all over the country.
Back to the topic,Oga kperogi has chipped in his own opinion,which is affordable and subsided Transportation in these hard times and I really believe Government should look at his suggestions.
I want to call on The Government of Lagos state to please go to subsiding The BRT buses all over the state,I know they tried a lot last year especially during the campaigns but I believe this is the best time to reintroduce the subsidy,that will really help the citizens in this crushing times.
I end by saying this,last week I read an article about the free fall of the Naira on Nairaland,and I was amazed at the wonderful suggestions made by some patriotic Nigerians.
I was suprised there are still very very intelligent people on this platform,God bless you,I really hope we keep proffering Solutions to the Problem of Nigeria instead of this unending complains,I know there's hardship but Now is the time to offer solutions and not join the bandwagon.
Nigeria must be great again, Asiwaju will be there for the next 3 years, we owe it to Nigeria to make sure it comes out better not worse under him.

The real cause of our problem is the exchange rate of naira to dollar. And why is naira falling? Nigeria is not a producing country. We import over 90% of what we consume. So the sure way forward is an industrial revolution. China started it about there decades ago. Now, they are among the economic power in the world.

We have talented Nigerians showcasing what they can do from time to time. But the government turn blind eyes to them.

Who say government cannot be directly involved in industries? Malaysia government came to Nigeria to get our Palm carnel seeds. Now, they are the biggest exporter of Palm oil.

Our leaders are mentally lazy. All they think is how to initiate project that can give them money.

I can go on and on.

In the mid seventies, naira value was higher than dollar. And our revenue was majorly from agricultural products. What happened? They abandoned it to focus on fast revenue that oil brings.

To make things worse, they are not open to ideas or suggestions. Because there needs are met. What is happening does not affect them.
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Mandate1: 3:45pm On Feb 10
Civetcat:
A prodigal son who is unwilling to accept the consequences of her actions.
The policy is working as it is supposed to . People are learning the harsh truth. The party is over. Get up and be productive or waste away trying to benefit from what you didn’t produce .
The same policies are being applied globally but why is Nigeria’s case different?
As someone who left Nigeria for 10 years and came back.The greatest shock was the newly acquired taste in the period I was away.The lacasera ,Omo detergent ,Bourvita ,Gulder , had been replaced by more fashionable imported brands. People I know spend so much on leisure,frivolities and luxury in a way that I cannot comprehend.
Instead of factories and cottage industries,Everywhere is dotted with mosques ,churches, hotels and event centres.
The current polity highlights so many structural issues.

The upper middle class who are supposed to be the engine of the economy only spend on lifestyle; designer clothes, holidays and schools abroad ,expensive cars , beverages and Rolexes.They add little or no value while getting so much out of the system .
Take a look at Alibaba and see all sort of Manufacuring plant and Machineries that are available for sale . Yet we import stuff that add no value .You can probably build to 200 small factories for the price of 100 cars parked in front of a church in Lekki on sunday.

Food security is another one . How did we manage to acquire an unhealthy taste for foreign food like rice which we do not have the geographical advantage to mass produce while ignoring our local food.

Why are citizens protecting the civil service when much of it is simply not adding any value . The salaries of civil servants and politicians consumes much of our national budget.

your supposition do not in anyway make life better for the people. You seem to blame the people, like it's their duty to make Nigeria great, leaving aside the primary responsibility of the govt. Remove subsidy remove subsidy, pls who failed to build refineries and maintain the existing ones? The people?

If an individual can afford a luxury lifestyle, so be it. You can't gag anyone the way and manner he/she chooses to spend hard earned money legitimate, you only raise taxes for such luxuries.

1 Like

Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Procashtips(m): 3:47pm On Feb 10
Kukutenla:
The north are hypocrites. And that is why Nigeria is not a country. To claim Buhari got away with murder because of cult followership is to deodorise the pungent tribal and religious fundamentalism that's at the base of his followership. Most of Buhari's followers in the CPC they formed are clueless, dumb and sectional. Just check out their performance as ministers and heads of agencies.
The only appeal they had in the north was based on tribal and religious ideology and not any superior group interest.

It is also disheartening that after the maladministration CBN went through under Buhari and Emefiele is lackey, Tinubu couldn't get a better fit for the job of repositioning such a critical institution. What's worse is his elevation of CBN above NNPCL which has fared better previously in terms of audit and compliance.
However, it is obvious Cardoso is not running a one man show. He's under the tutelage of Edun. So it's more like the voice of Cardoso but the hands of Edun. And this is not to say I agree with Kperoogi's assessment of him

But there was no time we had it this bad on Buhari in his 8 years rule.

There was no almost 500% increase in everything important in Nigeria like we have it now.

Alot of people prospered under Buhari, especially his first 4 years unlike what we have now.

Tinubu is actually a figure head with no idea of what's going on.
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by MemphitzDgreat1(m): 3:58pm On Feb 10
Asswipemod:

Hoebee will never be president
And your suffering will NEVER cease!!
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by ArewaNorth: 4:01pm On Feb 10
Kukutenla:

This your post reeks of foolishness. You voted for Tinubu because of his Muslim Muslim ticket and Buhari's open support for him and even with that, he still lost most states in the North. Yobe that has never voted PDP was won by Atiku.
I've deleted the rest of your comments because they are meaningless drivel

You need to know that APC started losing some support bases right under Buhari in 2019 when some analysts predicted him losing to Atiku, however, with reference to what I mentioned in my statement, suffering and hardship were inevitably more reasons why Tinubu would equally lose more votes more than the votes Buhari lost in 2019 compared to 2015.
But you need to know that the margin with which Tinubu lost to Atiku is minimal in most Northern States. North-West gave Tinubu more votes than South-West and the Kano Tinubu lost to Kwankwaso not even Atiku who got 120k votes got more than 700k votes more than any state of the Federation.
Tinubu lost Lagos his home state and by losing Lagos there is no basis of accusing any state not to have voted for him.
Attached is a sample so that you won't go on and keep fooling yourself:

Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by RevolverOcelot(m): 4:03pm On Feb 10
Pay workers a fair minimum wage first ,then subsidy of public transport (including buses, taxies and Keke's) after that look at providing more jobs for the masses. Everyone can't be complaining all the time!
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Irony1: 4:08pm On Feb 10
Kukutenla:

Yeah
Tell me why the north never protested against Abacha despite the gripping hardship in his tenure

They were scared of Abacha, he no send anyone even him fellow northerners. If you recall he deposed Dasuki as Sultan when he spoke out against him.
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Kukutenla: 4:11pm On Feb 10
ArewaNorth:

You need to know that APC started losing some support bases right under Buhari in 2019 when some analysts predicted him losing to Atiku, however, with reference to what I mentioned in my statement, suffering and hardship were inevitably more reasons why Tinubu would equally lose more votes more than the votes Buhari lost in 2019 compared to 2015.
But you need to know that the margin with which Tinubu lost to Atiku is minimal in most Northern States. North-West gave Tinubu more votes than South-West and the Kano Tinubu lost to Kwankwaso not even Atiku who got 120k votes got more than 700k votes more than any state of the Federation.
Tinubu lost Lagos his home state and by losing Lagos there is no basis of accusing any state not to have voted for him.
Attached is a sample so that you won't go on and keep fooling yourself:
Your first lie is that Buhari did worse in 2019 in the North than 2015. That's a big lie. Go and check your stats again.
Second no analyst every predicted Atiku to beat Buhari in the North. Except maybe PDP's analysts
Tinubu lost Lagos because lagosians don't vote along tribal or religious lines unlike the Muslim North. Why would the Muslim North divide their votes majorly among the three Muslim candidates? Simple. They vote asking tribal and religious lines!!
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Kukutenla: 4:12pm On Feb 10
Irony1:

They were scared of Abacha, he no send anyone even him fellow northerners. If you recall he deposed Dasuki as Sultan when he spoke out against him.
Scared indeed
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by CorrectionFLuid: 4:17pm On Feb 10
Beremx:
Ebi n pa wa OOO!! That is all I have to say. It is not only Yoruba people that are hungry. The hunger has spread to all geopolitical zones.

No strength to read big grammar abeg.

Tinubu should do something because Lagos residents will hit the streets soon. No time!! angry angry

I hope you won't go and join them. I don't want to see any Igbo name being used as scapegoat and means to tribalize whatever protest you're talking about.

This was how you joined them and brought in APC. Now they have reminded you of your father's name.

If you're planning to join, thunder fire you in advance

2 Likes

Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by oluseg2: 4:24pm On Feb 10
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by tete7000(m): 4:25pm On Feb 10
Nvestor02:
Well, Tinubu is really trying in the Aso Rock. His Confidence to remove oil subsidy will forever melt the heart of reasonable Nigerians forever.

Now, He has increased the State allocations by 41percentage and that would surely lead to building of more infrastructure in the country.

We are already seeing the good result of this because there are many federal road and state road under construction. If not the governors that have wounded local govt chairman. The infrastructure would have been taken to the lowest part.

I'm very sure that before March, another Minimum wage would have been implemented, the negotiation is already going on.

If Only Tinubu can now focus on the security and lower it to the minimum, then he will be the best president forever.

Talking about Electricity, Light will be good when Nigerians are ready for it. Vast majority of them don't pay nepa bill.

If they start paying, the Private company that's holding power will invest more and it and make electricity be 24/7.

And it doesn't occur to that subsidy has returned? Oh, because they are denying it? Buhari played the denial game for years too, infact he got another name for subsidy, calling it underrecovery. Ask yourself, how can diesel sell for N1200 and petrol still sells for N660? Are you aware kerosene sells around the same price range of diesel? Why is petrol an exemption?
Tinubu is a mumu who came with so much arrogance daring people and telling them to do their worse as he is going to remove the subsidy without weighing the consequences well enough. In his characteristic foolish and arrogant manner he has not finished dealing with the fallout from subsidy before he went to float the Naira. He surrounds himself with economic neophyte who couldn't articulate the reverberating effect of the two policies and advise himself well enough. They were at the centre of the storm, meanwhile the were revelling in stupid euphoria of thinking they are there still opposing Jonathan government. They are boxed to the corner and the same Tinubu who once boasted of removing subsidy without any consequence is now in a dilemma paying subsidy but without courage to openly admit he still pays. Pride they say comes before a fall. The foolish arrogant men are caught in their web of lies and deceit.

1 Like

Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Asswipemod: 4:30pm On Feb 10
MemphitzDgreat1:

And your suffering will NEVER cease!!

Hoebee will never be president. He is an opportunistic bozo with messiah complex, egged on by dingbats like you.
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by ewaoluwa13n: 4:31pm On Feb 10
-Buhari: Shege.-Tinubu: Shege promaximus-Buhari: Shege.-Tinubu: Shege promaximus...
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by CorrectionFLuid: 4:35pm On Feb 10
DatNiggaDaz:
Abeg lower the volume. grin grin

Stop giving dem clue what will soon happen in Lagos

If you're Igbo, I hope you're not planning to go and join the useless protest?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Enemyofpeace: 4:37pm On Feb 10
Patiently waiting to see revolution in the country. Nigerians, yes we can!
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by CorrectionFLuid: 4:38pm On Feb 10
Klington:
From the horses mouth.

APC is eeV!l.

Still failed at that.

Buhari > Tinubu

Fact.
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Iamanoited: 4:39pm On Feb 10
BUHARI WAS ESPECIALLY COMMISSIONED FOR THE SPOILATION OF NIGERIA SOCIAL ECONOMIC AND POLITICAL STRUCTURES.
FULANI HERDSMEN ARE TERRORISTS AND BUHARI IS BEHIND THEM BY CHRISTIANA AMANPOUR CNN.
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Iamanoited: 4:43pm On Feb 10
TINUBU WILL SOON BE IRRELEVANT IF HE DOESN'T ADOPT FAPRES FOTCS AND CTC FOCS TRFG NOW.
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by RepoMan007: 4:49pm On Feb 10
ivolt:

You guys continuously underestimate the value of financial prudence in economic management.

If you are right, Lamido Sanusi should have been the best CBN governor since
oil price was highest during his tenure.
But in real fact, the best CBN governors were the one in charge during the
lowest average oil price of 1999 to 2007. That is Joseph Oladele and Charles Soludo.
Joseph even managed to hit a 10% growth rate which is unmatched since then.

Nigeria's FDI at 1999 was about $1 billion and it increased to $6 billion in 2007.
If a 600% rise is not significant enough, you should remember that somebody actually took it from
4 billion dollars in 2015 to negative value by the end of 2022. Now, that's a record.

Before you ask, my criteria for best is based on external reserve accumulation, exchange rate control and economic growth rate.

For you to use average oil price to guage demand and supply pressure of forex is impractical and makes little or no analytical sense. What was average weekly forex demand and supply for the CBN gov under OBJ?
Don't forget subsidy had not gone haywire like under GEJ and Buhari. Soludo had so much forex to spare, he gave a dozen banks $500m each to help them capitalize better. Can you compare that to another CBN gov who inherited forex obligations more than that alone?
Let's not talk about regular forex demand that has surged compared to OBJ years.
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by SweetVibe: 4:59pm On Feb 10
Kukutenla:

Yeah. Stories that exist in your head
MUMU
Re: Hunger Protests: Why Tinubu Can’t Govern Like Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi by Kukutenla: 5:08pm On Feb 10
SweetVibe:

I AM A MUMU
If you say so

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Salary Of Police Service Personnel (foreign) / FRSC Rescues Man Whose Car Was On Fire In Lagos This Morning / Payment Platform Crisis: FG May Drop IPPIS For ASUU, Others As Opposition Grows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.