Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,314 members, 7,815,576 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? (11393 Views)

South Africans Attack Chippa United Boss After Declaring Support For Nwabali / Frank Lampard, Expected To Stay As Interim Coach Until The End Of The Season / Okocha Consoling Crying Kanu After 2000 Nations Cup Final Loss (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Seagodess(f): 12:28pm On Feb 13
lexy2014:

that is not what I asked. you did not answer my questions.

1. since you are forward thinking, how is Peseiro a very good coach?

2. why and how will it take Nigeria another 20years to have another coach better than him?
garri Dey worry Ur eyes...a bad coach would never get to the finals of any tournament

4 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by lexy2014: 12:29pm On Feb 13
Seagodess:
garri Dey worry Ur eyes...a bad coach would never get to the finals of any tournament

that is not what I asked.

1. since you are forward thinking, how is Peseiro a very good coach?

2. why and how will it take Nigeria another 20years to have another coach better than him?

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by chicfarmer: 12:29pm On Feb 13
Shikena:
Yes. Keep him alongside George Finidi and co.

He made some mistakes but for a rookie on the crazy African football scene, he did well. Let the NFF have a review and lessons learned session with the coaching crew and technical committee and come up with plans to address shortcomings during the tournament.

For a team that people had little expectation of at the start of the competition, they did very well and made Nigerians proud. Doing one or two things differently would have landed Nigeria the trophy. We should build on this.

If he appears incapable of adapting and learning from his mistakes, based on our next 5 matches, then George Finidi should replace him down the line.
Agreed. Or Emmanuel Amuneke.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by elpochas: 12:29pm On Feb 13
Seagodess:
how many play styles do you know in football? Let's start from here.. let's see if you are smart
are u a lady or a guy?so dat I will know how to answer u.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by MichaelUweh(m): 12:29pm On Feb 13
The style of play isn't good at all.

Defensive football isn't Super Eagles style.

We need a coach with Guadiola style of play ,and not that of Mourinho.

Check Emerse Fae of Ivory Coast.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Seagodess(f): 12:30pm On Feb 13
elpochas:
are u a lady or a guy?so dat I will know how to answer u.
oga answer me.. don't we have female coaches?

2 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by judedwriter(m): 12:31pm On Feb 13
virginboy1:
The Coach tried for me.....But i no understand wetin happen to him on that final....

Ivory coast really over played us... undecided

The ivory coast coach did his homework very well by studying the tactics of coach peseiro and putting defenders on osimhen, lookman, etc.

If coach peseiro was wise, he would changed his formation to confuse the ivory coast coach.

However, he needs more time to perfect the good work he has done in this tournament.

3 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Kukutenla: 12:31pm On Feb 13
For where?
The world has passed that boring kind of football abeg
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by elpochas: 12:32pm On Feb 13
Seagodess:
oga answer me.. don't we have female coaches?
I wanna know na.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Seagodess(f): 12:32pm On Feb 13
MichaelUweh:

you think tournament is league? ... even me wey be girl sabi football pass some guys here... Shame

3 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Seagodess(f): 12:32pm On Feb 13
elpochas:
I wanna know na.
iam a lady
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by IVORY2009(m): 12:33pm On Feb 13
Herkim:
He should be retain but he needs to change his defensive tactics to attacking football.

His defensive technique cost us to lose the final. We need free flow of football not hypertensive show of shame.

Parking the bus ๐ŸšŒ
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Satazaa: 12:43pm On Feb 13
Why not, he deserves a second chance, afterall he has made 4 million dollars for the football authorities that they will start feasting on now,
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Timoleon(m): 12:44pm On Feb 13
Herkim:
He should be retain but he needs to change his defensive tactics to attacking football.

His defensive technique cost us to lose the final. We need free flow of football not hypertensive show of shame.

His defensive approach got you to the final. After the first game which we drew, he changed to a defensive approach. And cos we were progressing, y'all ignored the fact that we were playing shiit.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by BreconHills(m): 12:48pm On Feb 13
Herkim:

You play with what you have. SE squad was low on creative midfielders. We had ball winners, ball carriers but zilch true blue creative attacking midfielders so he surrendered the midfield.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by gassbee: 12:48pm On Feb 13
You guys dont get tired, always in a hurry in firing coaches
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Timoleon(m): 12:50pm On Feb 13
MichaelUweh:

Fae didn't teach them possession football. That's how ivory coast played even before he became their coach. What he however did especially for semifinals and final was added Adingra, Haller and Gradel to the front line. Their midfield always dominated. Even in the game Nigeria won them 1-0, they dominated that game...their attackers just weren't good.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by CyberWolf: 12:52pm On Feb 13
He should be sacked if he keeps playing a defensive football. We have a good defence and keeper with vibrant attackers, so I wonder why he keeps playing a defensive formation tactic? Thatโ€™s outdated.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by yemmit90: 12:53pm On Feb 13
spiSeyi:
Nigeria made it to the final by luck angry and football is not a game of luck undecided we need a homebased coach like Amunike who knows and understand our football and culture. Senegal , Ivory-coast and Cameroon worn AFCON in 2017, 2019, 2021 and 2024 with homebased coach, and we did the same in 2013 with Stephen Kechi. Jose Posero only leveraged on the individual talents of our players. A good coach would have sub chukwueze with Simon, start Kelechi and Mofi in the 2nd half then change the formation to 4-2-4 in the second half to mount pressure on Cote d'Ivoir. The best way to defend is to attack wink

If football is not a game of luck, then how did they made it to the final by the same luck?

Football is very easy to analyse from outside, our coach is not that bad as some people think. African football is no longer what it is some years back, you hardly see under dogs again, every team is out there to win a match. Besides, when was the last time you see Eagle playing compassionately like they did in AFCON. He got his tactics wrong in the final match but that doesn't make him a bad coach.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by CyberWolf: 12:54pm On Feb 13
BreconHills:

You play with what you have. SE squad was low on creative midfielders. We had ball winners, ball carriers but zilch true blue creative attacking midfielders so he surrendered the midfield.
How can your attacking midfielders perform when the coach instructs them to play defensive tactic while hoping for a counter attack? That defensive tactic rendered our midfield useless.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Starhearts: 12:55pm On Feb 13
Felimax:
A very good coach!
It will take another 20 years to have another one or one better than him.

Some Nigerians are too backward in thinking.

Who hurts u
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Timoleon(m): 12:56pm On Feb 13
BreconHills:

When the competition started, he tried to play through the midfield, but we still didn't win. We drew. In the second game, either through tactical calculations or unavailability of Yusuf, he started playing with the 5 man defense. Because we won the hosts albeit by luck because the hosts dominated that game, Nigerians didn't care, a win is a win and the coach stuck to that pattern till he reached the final. People kept wondering why he started Chukwueze. The reason is simple. When we won in the group stage, chukwueze started the game. It worked on that night but luck can only get you so far sometimes.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Blankstare(m): 12:56pm On Feb 13
Meti99:
Me I still believe that 2024 Afcon final match was fixed...
As in super eagles were settled out of champion ..

Cos I don't know what wentvwrong with the super eagles who just reluctantly dashed the little joy Nigerians had suddenly

Bros honestly you are in my head... how did nwabali suddenly goes fighting...?

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by elpochas: 12:56pm On Feb 13
Seagodess:
iam a lady
Each Coach has adm different type of game plan.we all know the special one as a defensive minded coach.The likes of Kloop is know for his pressing style of football and high defensive line.Ferguson was known for his attacking and wing play.Guadula and wanger are known for tikitaka.We also hv sarri ball.Just to mention a few for u.U can chat me up privately for more.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by humberjade: 12:59pm On Feb 13
Seagodess:
See..we are no longer in the era of tikitaka.. all we need is you keep winning anyhow you do it.. this is Best outing we've had in 11 years if iam correct.. he should scout for a creative midfielder before the qualifiers.. either from our league or anywhere and keep working with this team.. the boys understood him already. Arsenal have not won any major trophy with thier useless tikitaka while Chelsea has two champions league with thier direct play. Let's continue with him

Imagine Eberechi Eze in that midfield
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Timoleon(m): 1:01pm On Feb 13
spiSeyi:
Nigeria made it to the final by luck angry and football is not a game of luck undecided we need a homebased coach like Amunike who knows and understand our football and culture. Senegal , Ivory-coast and Cameroon worn AFCON in 2017, 2019, 2021 and 2024 with homebased coach, and we did the same in 2013 with Stephen Kechi. Jose Posero only leveraged on the individual talents of our players. A good coach would have sub chukwueze with Simon, start Kelechi and Mofi in the 2nd half then change the formation to 4-2-4 in the second half to mount pressure on Cote d'Ivoir. The best way to defend is to attack wink

Why would he start kelechi and Moffi in the second half when we are leading...in the previous four games we played the same pattern and won...how does it come to mind to change a working pattern that looked like it was succeeding at the beginning of half time. Especially in a final...what happens when you use early subs and then get an injury or a red card? Or the ball drags into extra time...then you don't have fresh legs to bring in?
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Seagodess(f): 1:03pm On Feb 13
humberjade:

Imagine Eberechi Eze in that midfield
Make NFf convince that guy.. he's too good
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Seagodess(f): 1:04pm On Feb 13
elpochas:
Each Coach has adm different type of game plan.we all know the special one as a defensive minded coach.The likes of Kloop is know for his pressing style of football and high defensive line.Ferguson was known for his attacking and wing play.Guadula and wanger are known for tikitaka.We also hv sarri ball.Just to mention a few for u.U can chat me up privately for more.
so you know all these and you are calling for the head of poseiro? His style got us to the finals.. what really happened was our team switched off that night.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by NGArmyTerrorist: 1:06pm On Feb 13
They're owing that Coach if not they have sacked him..
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by BreconHills(m): 1:08pm On Feb 13
Timoleon:

When the competition started, he tried to play through the midfield, but we still didn't win. We drew. In the second game, either through tactical calculations or unavailability of Yusuf, he started playing with the 5 man defense. Because we won the hosts albeit by luck because the hosts dominated that game, Nigerians didn't care, a win is a win and the coach stuck to that pattern till he reached the final. People kept wondering why he started Chukwueze. The reason is simple. When we won in the group stage, chukwueze started the game. It worked on that night but luck can only get you so far sometimes.

I agree with you to a degree.

But the system he is using was very similar to Mourinhos early days at Chelsea and the successful Greek team in the Euros, defend and break. Unfortunately we were very inefficient in carrying out turnovers and catching them on the break.

I am not sure we will make the next worldcup.

We need investments in infrastructure and domestic scouting. Our domestic coaches need to be significantly upgraded and secondary school competitions need to be revived to the level of the old principal cup.

We lack seriousness and sincerity. The NFF is a cabal of rogues. It will need concerted effort from the Vice President downwards.

We are a joke administration wise and there is only so far the ingenuity and talent of our people can take us. What do you think?
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by BreconHills(m): 1:19pm On Feb 13
CyberWolf:
How can your attacking midfielders perform when the coach instructs them to play defensive tactic while hoping for a counter attack? That defensive tactic rendered our midfield useless.

Who was our creative attacking midfielder?
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by samonak(m): 1:20pm On Feb 13
He has outlived his usefulness, I think we should settle him and let go.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

New Fifa Ranking: Nigeria Now World Number 15 / French Open 2019: WTA / Super Falcons Loss In The WAFCON What Is The Way Forward?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.