Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,985 members, 7,825,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? (11426 Views)

South Africans Attack Chippa United Boss After Declaring Support For Nwabali / Frank Lampard, Expected To Stay As Interim Coach Until The End Of The Season / Okocha Consoling Crying Kanu After 2000 Nations Cup Final Loss (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by valentineuwakwe(m): 1:22pm On Feb 13
If he should stay, let him change the "park the bus tactics' ....and allow the team play there free flow attacking football...if not, oga resign!
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by betshopagent(m): 1:30pm On Feb 13
No! He is too rigid and over defensive. He is unforgiven and would only have problems with the players on the long run. Everyone is busy attacking iwobi for that final performance against ivory coast but easily forgot that this coach played iwobi as the only creative midfielder in that game where we had Ihenacho on the bench. Ist half we were outplayed played and we luckly got a goal before half time. A good coach Would have brought in creative midfielders to help iwobi and the strikers. The afo-ukwu(big-belly)man was busy punishing Ihenacho.Iwobi alone was mobbed by ivorian midfielders. Sia1 should take over.Oyibo no sabi win AFCON again. Na coach less team beat this overrated and overpaid man.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by spiSeyi: 1:31pm On Feb 13
Timoleon:

Why would he start kelechi and Moffi in the second half when we are leading...in the previous four games we played the same pattern and won...how does it come to mind to change a working pattern that looked like it was succeeding at the beginning of half time. Especially in a final...what happens when you use early subs and then get an injury or a red card? Or the ball drags into extra time...then you don't have fresh legs to bring in?
The attack was too dull and that was why Adinga (Ivory-coast 7) had a free movement in the flank to break our defense which caused us the 2nd goal had it been that we used 2 strikers (Osimehn & Kelechi) to play with the support of Simon from the flank and Mofi from the mid-field Ivory-coast would be forced to defend then Eagles might eventually get a PK at least or more corners & freekick
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by SoNature(m): 1:31pm On Feb 13
BigDawsNet:
Yes he deserves it!

But on few conditions...

1. Invite and drop Iwobi to bench
2. Don't Invite chukweze again
3. Remove Uzoho completely
4. Start scouting some few home based players
5. Organise more international friendly
6. Scout for more attacking midfielders
7. Try and secure international player like Maduake, Chukwameka, Michael Olise, Solanke

Waste of time and resources because no country takes it seriously.

You can never tell the capacity of your team until they play in a competitive tournament.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by humberjade: 1:38pm On Feb 13
Seagodess:
Make NFf convince that guy.. he's too good

Well, I think it still boils down to his parents and the player himself, perhaps he still believes he can get a call up to the three lions. In this case, I think there is little the NFF can do, especially when the player hasn't shown genuine interest to don the green and white jersey
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by SuperEagles: 1:38pm On Feb 13
If this is your standard for a good coach then I understand why you support whom you supported.

Felimax:
A very good coach!
It will take another 20 years to have another one or one better than him.

Some Nigerians are too backward in thinking.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by SirLinks: 1:43pm On Feb 13
Nigeria got to that final by luck
How can Nigeria with the best attack line on paper be playing every country like we playing against prime Brazil
That defensive approach was ridiculous
Every match we played, we played defensively
The coach isn't meant for us considering the kind off attack we have. we need a coach who is attack minded, while also scouting for more creative midfielders
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by SuperEagles: 1:44pm On Feb 13
Bro leave story there is no future with this coach.

Did you watch Cape Verde Mali play this Afcon ? Nigeria as beta player than them I don't see any reason why we can't play that pattern.

If Nigeria can simply pass the btw themselves the way Cape Verde does even at the WC not just Nation Cup we will thrive.

Seagodess:
which coach don carry u enter final since 2013?
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Timoleon(m): 1:46pm On Feb 13
spiSeyi:

The attack was too dull and that was why Adinga (Ivory-coast 7) had a free movement in the flank to break our defense which caused us the 2nd goal had it been that we used 2 strikers (Osimehn & Kelechi) to play with the support of Simon from the flank and Mofi from the mid-field Ivory-coast would be forced to defend then Eagles might eventually get a PK at least or more corners & freekick

I understand...the attack was dull...the point is that in all the games we won, including against ivory coast, the attack was dull, yet we won. Why should he change the patter especially at the beginning of the second half when we are leading meaning his pattern was working yet again. In the group stage when we won, we had just one shot on target in that game...the penalty by Ekong! but because we won that match bone of you came out with all these analysis. Instead you praised the coach and the team. The coach went for the same tactics and lineup in the final and exposed how lucky we have been
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Seagodess(f): 1:47pm On Feb 13
humberjade:

Well, I think it still boils down to his parents and the player himself, perhaps he still believes he can get a call up to the three lions. In this case, I think there is little the NFF can do, especially when the player hasn't shown genuine interest to don the green and white jersey
true

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by BigDawsNet: 1:58pm On Feb 13
SoNature:

Waste of time and resources because no country takes it seriously.

You can never tell the capacity of your team until they play in a competitive tournament.

We don't hav too many competitions to go around...

We need this friendly to discover the best talent and also know the one who need extra tutor
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Timoleon(m): 1:59pm On Feb 13
BreconHills:

I agree with you to a degree.

But the system he is using was very similar to Mourinhos early days at Chelsea and the successful Greek team in the Euros, defend and break. Unfortunately we were very inefficient in carrying out turnovers and catching them on the break.

I am not sure we will make the next worldcup.

We need investments in infrastructure and domestic scouting. Our domestic coaches need to be significantly upgraded and secondary school competitions need to be revived to the level of the old principal cup.

We lack seriousness and sincerity. The NFF is a cabal of rogues. It will need concerted effort from the Vice President downwards.

We are a joke administration wise and there is only so far the ingenuity and talent of our people can take us. What do you think?

You are right... grassroots development is essential and it requires fundamental institutions and infrastructure to be available and to date. Talent and potential wise, we are up there but technically we are lagging behind. This requires intentional actions of re-evaluation, investment and objectivity. Majority of our administrators aren't passionate about sport. They are mostly in it for money. Not even money they generate but the little government gives them to develop. Many of them must be retired.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by oluwasegun007(m): 2:04pm On Feb 13
Keep him on the condition that he will look Inward...

We now have a goal keeper that improving with each game,

A rock solid defence, an improving attack...

What we need urgently is the mid fielders.

He should make every position extremely competitive...This caused us the cup because our first 11 became exhausted and stressed out.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by BreconHills(m): 2:06pm On Feb 13
Timoleon:

You are right... grassroots development is essential and it requires fundamental institutions and infrastructure to be available and to date. Talent and potential wise, we are up there but technically we are lagging behind. This requires intentional actions of re-evaluation, investment and objectivity. Majority of our administrators aren't passionate about sport. They are mostly in it for money. Not even money they generate but the little government gives them to develop. Many of them must be retired.

Agreed 100% let's hope we get the right mix of long term strategy and short term fixes. I know those rogues are already eying Afcon development money. Stealing and missaplication of funds are institutions in NG
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by TemmyT002(m): 2:07pm On Feb 13
I don't care
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by elpochas: 2:16pm On Feb 13
Seagodess:
so you know all these and you are calling for the head of poseiro? His style got us to the finals.. what really happened was our team switched off that night.
we had no midfield in these tournament.we all know defensive football is old fashion now.You can't win anything with it.It might take u far,but u can't achieve anything with it.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Akalia(m): 2:42pm On Feb 13
Meti99:
Me I still believe that 2024 Afcon final match was fixed...
As in super eagles were settled out of champion ..

Cos I don't know what wentvwrong with the super eagles who just reluctantly dashed the little joy Nigerians had suddenly
I thought I was the only naturing this assumption. SE just let the ivorians win for only GOD knows reason.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by SK1SOLA: 2:43pm On Feb 13
He should pack and go, if it were an African coach or a Nigerian coach he will receive his sacking letter while on the pitch of play.

He has tried for taking To to the finals

Why WILL YOU PLAY TOO DEEP ON A FINAL MATCH WHILE YOU ARE WINNING ? WHO DOES THAT? WHO ARE YOU CONSERVING THE ENERGY FOR?

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by ufotunang: 2:48pm On Feb 13
Herkim:
He should be retain but he needs to change his defensive tactics to attacking football.

His defensive technique cost us to lose the final. We need free flow of football not hypertensive show of shame.
..but he use the defensive tactics to beat guinea buissia, cameroun Angola, south Africa and nobody complained of his defensive tactics then
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Khallicopyro: 2:53pm On Feb 13
He tried but he's not good enough. We need a 1st class coach for the Super Eagles

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by ufotunang: 2:54pm On Feb 13
He should stay .. nobody expected him to take nigeria to the final...many nigerians were condemning the coach before the Afcon tournament...it's just that he should look for a attacking midfielder..our midfield is not effective
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by CyberWolf: 2:58pm On Feb 13
BreconHills:

Who was our creative attacking midfielder?
Iwobi however, he played according to Coach’s instructions by holding the ball to draw Ivorians out for a possible counter attack, that’s a defensive tactic which cost us the trophy.

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by abobote: 3:10pm On Feb 13
Sack, that packing of bus won't take us anywhere
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by SMREXY(m): 3:13pm On Feb 13
Meti99:

Cos I don't know what went wrong with the super eagles who just reluctantly dashed the little joy Nigerians had suddenly

Sincerely, this is the only explanation I could give myself when I think about the game. Or perhaps, there was a kind of threat somewhere.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by opeyemho(m): 3:21pm On Feb 13
He needed to be sacked asap.. no team play that kinda negative football and ever won a tourney unless they’re extremely lucky. Nigeria has the best squad coming to this afcon and we played the most negative football. We’ve got a better squad compared to the host nation and they played us like we are some sec school team in an Afcon finals. This is not Nigerian football, we are known for attacking style of play not this horrible football that’s very very hard to watch and believe me, we can’t play any European nation like this, we’ll be dismantled easily. Furthermore, most of our players are technically gifted, they are never going to be suited to playing defensive football. Get a good coach preferably a local coach who understands Nigerian football and would allow the players express themselves.
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by BreconHills(m): 3:22pm On Feb 13
CyberWolf:
Iwobi however, he played according to Coach’s instructions by holding the ball to draw Ivorians out for a possible counter attack, that’s a defensive tactic which cost us the trophy.

You are right. He could not play in the final third which was his best position in arsenal. He was dropping deep to circulate play from flank to flank. By the end of our second match ,our opponents knew that if they cut him off there would be gap between defence and attack. And that's exactly what they did
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Gajagojo: 3:40pm On Feb 13
He has done his best we should thank him and let him go.
He has nothing more to offer.
We need to go back to the basics which is to play football our way.
Peseiro made our players play a negative style that is not natural to us
We simply cannot play that way.It is not our style.
The other problem is his emphasis on Europe based players
That is totally wrong.
We won AFCON with Keshi. I remember it was largely a home based green that Keshi nurtured to defeat Drogba,Toure and Other highly rated Ivorians playing in Europe. It is not by playing in Europe

Our highest FIFA ranked team got to number 6 in the rankings. Coached by Westerhof. With Finidi,Amunike,Okechukwu,Yekini,,Amokachi,Oliseh,Siasia,Adepoju,Eguavoen etc almost all of them started playing in Europe AFTER the rival of Westerhof.

Now the coach just gets a list of players playing in Europe and chooses teams based on that.

Playing in Europe is not what matters in tournaments like AFCON.

Our style of play emphasises Speed and attack, With great individualtechnical ability on the ball as in Kanu,Okocha. Those things are downplayed in Europe.
If you want to know what Peseiro will do to us look at what Mourinho did to Mikel Obi

We have always had defensive frailties and that is one area where Peseiro has helped but playing Five at the back ,sitting deep and allowing you opponent play for 90 minutes is not for us .
We need to focus on developing our home based players and coaches
This ideas of players playing in Europe has been discredited many times
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by Babaken(m): 3:40pm On Feb 13
Meti99:

Cos I don't know what wentvwrong with the super eagles who just reluctantly dashed the little joy Nigerians had suddenly
you are on point
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by AngelicBeing: 3:42pm On Feb 13
lexy2014:

since you are forward thinking, how is Peseiro a very good coach?

why and how will it take Nigeria another 20years to have another coach better than him?
why this question?

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by AngelicBeing: 3:44pm On Feb 13
lexy2014:

how is it destiny?
Ordained to happen shocked

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by lexy2014: 3:58pm On Feb 13
AngelicBeing:
Ordained to happen shocked

how was it ordained to happen?
Re: AFCON 2023: Should Jose Peseiro Stay As Super Eagles Boss After Final Loss? by AngelicBeing: 3:59pm On Feb 13
lexy2014:

how was it ordained to happen?
Look for the meaning of it on Google shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Specimen Picture Of Arsenals New 2008/2009 Home/ Away Kits / Super Falcons Loss In The WAFCON What Is The Way Forward? / Algeria Vs Angola: AFCON 2023 (1 - 1) On 15th January 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.