Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,354 members, 7,815,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos (8762 Views)

FG Names 15 Terrorism Financiers, BDCs, Plans Sanctions / FG Orders NERC To Revoke Licenses Of Non-Performing DISCOS / BBC, Daily Trust Will Face Sanctions For Glorifying Terrorists - Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by Charly68: 12:26pm On Feb 13
Same story since privatisation
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by Tonytonex(m): 12:27pm On Feb 13
They should please.

How can they be billing consumers without providing power.

For this month, there has not been power supply. At the end, they will still bring bill. Thieves!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by Brown2012: 12:47pm On Feb 13
Paraman:

https://punchng.com/outages-fg-plans-sanctions-for-non-performing-discos/?amp

Never seen a disco perform woefully like Bedc these guy's are criminals, they give light to only 33 line while the rest of the people in Delta state languish in darkness and our governor Mr sheriff is sincerely doing nothing about it.
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by Nectarbaba(m): 12:48pm On Feb 13
Winning123:

As you have commented so shall it be to you (shame, you will be small etc). This is what the Word of God says not me.
Oh just shut up.

2 Likes

Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by Dminister(m): 1:01pm On Feb 13
I am so ashamed of this country. There is no particular thing that was achieved by any government that is standard. For so many years we are still lamenting about electricity. I think there are forces of darkness behind having stable electricity in Nigeria
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by alizma: 1:10pm On Feb 13
The government is not sanctioning anybody. They all know what they are doing. The solution is simple, give every household a prepaid metre and the government can go and sleep over electricity issue but they won't do that.
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by SenecaTheYonger: 1:11pm On Feb 13
nairalanda1:

NOt just government agencies, anyone stealing power , poor or rich, anyone not paying for power, should be cut off.

We are suffering because we do not pay the appropriate prices for power. Meanwhile Ghana and Ivory coast have 24 hour power, and pay for power over twice what we pay per kwh. No wonder they have light.

We have the resources for it to be cheap. After all we were selling power to neighboring countries.

What we need is to cut off people that are not paying Or else, the few that are paying will end up carrying those that don’t pay
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by nairalanda1(m): 1:20pm On Feb 13
SenecaTheYonger:

We have the resources for it to be cheap. After all we were selling power to neighboring countries.

What we need is to cut off people that are not paying Or else, the few that are paying will end up carrying those that don’t pay

We don't have the resources to make it cheap. Not when our debt servicing is eating revenue, and all we got is being chopped by debt.

Plus, why should government bring in price controls for any business? Doing that means that the thing gets wrecked.
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by themanderon: 1:21pm On Feb 13
Eedc should be the first to be sanctioned. They are fleecing their customers like hell. People can barely boast of an hour's supply and they come with their outrageous bills.
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by SenecaTheYonger: 1:27pm On Feb 13
nairalanda1:

We don't have the resources to make it cheap. Not when our debt servicing is eating revenue, and all we got is being chopped by debt.

Plus, why should government bring in price controls for any business? Doing that means that the thing gets wrecked.

Where did I ask for price control?

Waht i said is "What we need is to cut off people that are not paying Or else, the few that are paying will end up carrying those that don’t pay "

1 Like

Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by nairalanda1(m): 1:28pm On Feb 13
SenecaTheYonger:

Where did I ask for price control?

Waht i said is "What we need is to cut off people that are not paying Or else, the few that are paying will end up carrying those that don’t pay "

Yes, I agree with you, but beyond what you said, there is the issue of price controls, which has to end. The sector has to be allowed to charge at a profit.
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by marksleek2584(m): 1:29pm On Feb 13
BEDC SHOULD BE SAMCTIONED HEAVILY!! BEDC IS A TOTAL PACKAGE OF INCOMPETENCE!!

2 Likes

Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by Greenback: 1:30pm On Feb 13
Nice one from the fed govt.
These guys are murderers
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by Kingsnairaland(m): 1:30pm On Feb 13
nairalanda1:

NOt just government agencies, anyone stealing power , poor or rich, anyone not paying for power, should be cut off.

We are suffering because we do not pay the appropriate prices for power. Meanwhile Ghana and Ivory coast have 24 hour power, and pay for power over twice what we pay per kwh. No wonder they have light.

You are talking nonsense how can you steal electricity that does not exist

No electrical distribution so how can you steal any power when electricity is not stable.

1 Like

Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by nairalanda1(m): 1:32pm On Feb 13
Kingsnairaland:

You are talking nonsense

LOL...better clean up your language, and then we can talk. Abuse does not make you mature, it makes you look petty.

Till then, good afternoon
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by Solababa91(m): 1:37pm On Feb 13
Sanction them, who pays for their loss if not their helpless customers.
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by CooldipoMPS: 1:41pm On Feb 13
I am one of the solution providers!
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by ezebunafo(m): 2:32pm On Feb 13
ambale:
Until una sanction IBEDC, I will not believe this news
the worst so far
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by Melagros(m): 2:34pm On Feb 13
COMRADES This is long overdue
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by NinjaMetahuman: 3:08pm On Feb 13
Sanction is not gonna be effective as taking away the incentive to deliver poor service.

Force them to give out free meter or meter at installment so those who cannot afford the meter can pay on installment and they won't have to pay for darkness.

If you can take power for days knowing fully well you will still get paid in full, why would you want to do anything?
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by ambale(m): 4:00pm On Feb 13
ezebunafo:
the worst so far

For one week, we never see light, no words from them either

Very useless disco
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by Cantonese: 4:06pm On Feb 13
The worst among them must be BEDC.

Never expect light in Asaba. Okpanam road is the worst hit. It's been like that for years. Nowadays there is light for five minutes at about 12:05 am. The light goes off after the said first five minutes. It stays off for five minutes and is restored for another five minutes. It goes off again and is restored for two hours. Okpanam road experiences light only in the dead of night for not more than two hours. Everyone can confirm it easily

I hope BEDC is stripped of the license, if any, and that license handed over to a competent organisation.

1 Like

Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by lovelyee: 7:43pm On Feb 13
Paraman:

https://punchng.com/outages-fg-plans-sanctions-for-non-performing-discos/?amp
BEDC should be santioned for putting Delta State in darkness. we are paying for darkness here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by blessshine: 8:32pm On Feb 13
For me to believe the minister of power know what he is doing, IBEDC need to be dealt with. Very useless disco. All they know is to be distributing estimated billing without lighting the city. in my area in Ibadan, we have not use 2 hours light in year 2024
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by Encyclopedia1: 11:24pm On Feb 13
IBEDC SHOULD BE THE 1ST TO GO.
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by jimcaddy(m): 9:50am On Feb 14
The first to be sanctioned should be that useless Eko Electricity Distribution Company (EKEDC). They are the most useless of them all.
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by OlujobaSamuel: 10:01am On Feb 14
nairalanda1:
cheesy

As usual, the government is running away from the real solution.

FIrst, all the discos are not perfoming. So, government go close all of them

The real reason why the discos are not perfroming is..THEY ARE NOT CHARGING COST REFLECTIVE TARRIFS..let them charge cost reflective tarrifs. Let government agenices pay them the monies they owe discos. Let government go after power theft. Let government pay for meters.

But no, let's look good by banning 'non-perfroming discos'.

(Like a father not paying for his children's books, pencils, not feeding the kids well, and then beats them for failing at school!)

Before anyone quotes me to tell me rubbish, read the below article. It was what the experts said, not me, not anyone else.

SAUCE OF THE ABOVE

SO, who is government sanctioning?. The same companies that they do not allow to charge cost reflective tarrifs, and thus force them to run at a loss, meaning they cannot pay for improvements, and have to rip off some of their customers in the name of estimated billing just to balance the books?

I just dey laff. APC better stop all this smoke and mirrors, and allow the free market operate in the power sector.
Is it MTN or Econet that got you your phone?? Or the govt come to your abode to arrest you for using cheat codes to browse when you have not data??
So govt should keep funding their operations while they eat the returns

1 Like

Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by nairalanda1(m): 10:04am On Feb 14
OlujobaSamuel:

Is it MTN or Econet that got you your phone?? Or the govt come to your abode to arrest you for using cheat codes to browse when you have not data??
So govt should keep funding their operations while they eat the returns

NO, the MTN and econet(later celtel, later Zain , now Airtel) don't have their prices set by government, so they can mae huge profits and attract investment

The power sector has a tarrif set by government that is not cost reflective, so they lose money, the subsidy government pays them does not cover their losses, so they cannot make improvements needed.

Therein is the problem
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by OlujobaSamuel: 10:12am On Feb 14
nairalanda1:

NO, the MTN and econet(later celtel, later Zain , now Airtel) don't have their prices set by government, so they can mae huge profits and attract investment

The power sector has a tarrif set by government that is not cost reflective, so they lose money, the subsidy government pays them does not cover their losses, so they cannot make improvements needed.

Therein is the problem

Says who?
The telecom industry is also having price control, that's why all service providers charge #4 for sms
That's why no call rate is below #7/min.
Kindly Google NCC price floor for telecom service providers.
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by nairalanda1(m): 10:27am On Feb 14
OlujobaSamuel:

Says who?
The telecom industry is also having price control, that's why all service providers charge #4 for sms
That's why no call rate is below #7/min.
Kindly Google NCC price floor for telecom service providers.

If it is there, it is not below their equivalent of a cost of production, neither are they subject to price freezes, like the power companies.

Google 'cost reflective tarrifs, and the power sector'

(FIN).
Re: Outages: FG Plans Sanctions For Non-performing Discos by Dsimmer: 11:28am On Feb 14
High time. Their electricity distribution license should be revoked as a matter of fact, if these useless idiots can't manage it and improve it. It was shambolic privatization in the first place.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nobody Delivered On Board Our Flight- Arik / Killings: Dusk-to-dawn Curfew Imposed In Kajuru, Kaduna / Army Commander Punished Over Boko Haram Suspects Escape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.