Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,961 members, 7,810,656 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience (23238 Views)

What Was Your Experience Working For A Factory Company? / The Best Boss You Have Ever Worked With. Share Your Experience / Two Mexicans Fired From A Factory And The Rest Decided To Leave With Them. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Omanambala(m): 12:31pm On Feb 26
olax02:
Have passed through that stage if life before. I was also machine operator at Gino tomato, I gave my self target and I was able to meet up. I was able to saved up. Now am into phone accessories. Life is in stages, you must finish one stage before proceeding to the next.

Maybe you worked under different conditions or you were lucky to survive but these slave camps needs to be closed down!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by zebszebs: 12:32pm On Feb 26
Beigalodesigns:

Is it for free? embarassed

Do you pay for youtube?

Lets not be asking asinine questions here.
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by zebszebs: 12:33pm On Feb 26
rapheal5:
Qualitec aluminum company is a nigeria factory and they treat people worst but it's 3 shift...

Please God!!! Its *worse* not *worst*

Ah ah!!!
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Johnn87: 12:35pm On Feb 26
rapheal5:
Qualitec aluminum company is a nigeria factory and they treat people worst but it's 3 shift...
smiley
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by ekenweohia: 12:35pm On Feb 26
Akinfemmy:
Hello, good people of Nairaland,

I'm 27 years old and, due to the lack of jobs in the country and after sitting at home for some months, I decided to work in a Chinese factory that produces baby diapers and menstruation pads. I was employed as a machine operator. The job is a 12-hour shift and can be either day or night. We have an hour break, and they provide food during the break. However, the job is so stressful that I'm mentally and physically burnt out. I barely have time for anything else. My life right now is wake, work, sleep. I am an introvert by nature with a little bit of social anxiety, and since I started, it's even been difficult keeping up with the few friends I have. I'm so lonely and depressed, but I can't quit yet; I just started. My intention was to work for 3-6 months so I can save and get myself photography equipment because I've learned photography. But I don't think I can stay up to 3 months. I'm not happy at all. The pay is 70k, but the stress involved is worth more than that.

The reason I brought up this topic is because I want people who have had similar experiences to share how they coped; maybe I can learn a thing or two. Also, if you have any online jobs you can teach me, I'm ready to learn. I'm computer savvy.

From 2017 - 2018, aged about 27 years, I was working as a machine operator in a HDPE plant(producing bottle water caps) in the South east with similar working conditions as yours.
As an engineering graduate from a Federal University, I was grossly underpaid at a 35k monthly salary.
I wanted to quit and learn programming but my fear was how to sustain myself during my learn period.
After working about 1 year there, I was sacked after I had a run-in(funny story for another day) with my manager.
I went back to my parents house and started my programming journey, I did side and menial jobs to sustain myself for the one year I was learning(I was self-taught for many months and landed a free internship after).
I got a job after the internship, changed jobs 3 months later, changed several jobs along the line and by '21/22, I was commanding over 1million Naira in monthly salary. At some point, I had multiple gigs and did about 8million monthly. I'm still a work in progress and I'm grateful to God, nature and experiences.

If I wasn't sacked, I don't know if I'd have gotten the courage to quit and face my life. I'd possibly be there procrastinating.

The moral of my story is to take tough decisions as it'd become clearer as you proceed because when there's a will, there's a way. Selah!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by stancod(m): 12:35pm On Feb 26
Akinfemmy:

Same thing I'm experiencing, i don't mind being jobless, it's so better than doing this job. This one I'm doing, there's only 2 off in the whole month. I will quit after this month.
Good day bro do you stay in ikorodu. Check my signature lets link up

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by efembaba(m): 12:36pm On Feb 26
IT'S TOTALLY STUPID FOR ANYONE TO BLAME ANYONE COMPLAINNING ABOUT THIER UNSATISFACTORY JOB SIMPLY BECAUSE SOME OTHER PEOPLE DON'T HAVE JOBS AT ALL.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB, CREATE A THREAD AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THAT TOO.

DON'T INVALIDATE PEOPLE'S FEELINGS WITH YOUR FALLACIOUS ARGUMENTS AND HIGHLY INSENSITIVE ATTITUDE.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Calitoscassius(m): 12:37pm On Feb 26
Lalami3232:
Go and learn programming and thank me later
Everyone can not be a programmer, some people will work in factories or anywhere else, the problem is, they deserve to be paid better..

8 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by rapheal5(m): 12:38pm On Feb 26
zebszebs:

Please God!!! Its *worse* not *worst*

Ah ah!!!
It's typo error....
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by lekonso: 12:43pm On Feb 26
Timmi:

Let me correct your mindset, the government's responsibility is not to provide employment for her citizens. In any country, the government does not and the citizens do not expect not place a demand on the government to provide employment.
You wey no comot your street dey talk of what happens in other countries
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Thisisanfield: 12:52pm On Feb 26
Ops, from your description, the company that came to mind was samkin or something at ikotun.
they produce same. i worked there many years ago. my brother my advice is,

continue your work, look out for other good jobs, save, improve yourself. but trust me working with these guys is not worth it.

the guy that trained me then, mistakenly got 4 of his fingers chopped off by the machine, guess how much was given to him? 40k.

10k for each finger. and hospital bills shikena. what made me leave there was the shock of both the accident and the fact that the guy came back there to work again. d thing shock me. i run abeg.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Geovanni412(m): 12:53pm On Feb 26
Exumal:

Can Dell Inspiron laptop do the job?

Not a programmer.

I only know where to find information.

search webcharmers on telegram and join all their groups
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Burgerlomo: 12:54pm On Feb 26
Sleekfingers:

You are computer savvy. And you are expecting someone to teach you online skills. there are lots of free resources online e.g YouTube and free books.
Nobody is ready to spoon-feed anybody. Do your findings, and choose the one that is good for you.

Bitter truth 😎
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Jokerman(m): 12:55pm On Feb 26
Why not learn a vocational skill?? Like Barbing, Carpentry, RAC technician, Welding, Mechanic etc, these are in demand skills....

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Missyajoke(f): 1:01pm On Feb 26
SyrusdeHansome:
Most pple are looking for what u`re currently tired of bro so u better sit down and save enof money 4ur future business. If u knw what others are doing for 20k salary you`ll learn 2b grateful by developing a positive mindset.

Should the op die in the Job, common be reasonable for once.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by gammarays(m): 1:10pm On Feb 26
Akinfemmy:
Hello, good people of Nairaland,

I'm 27 years old and, due to the lack of jobs in the country and after sitting at home for some months, I decided to work in a Chinese factory that produces baby diapers and menstruation pads. I was employed as a machine operator. The job is a 12-hour shift and can be either day or night. We have an hour break, and they provide food during the break. However, the job is so stressful that I'm mentally and physically burnt out. I barely have time for anything else. My life right now is wake, work, sleep. I am an introvert by nature with a little bit of social anxiety, and since I started, it's even been difficult keeping up with the few friends I have. I'm so lonely and depressed, but I can't quit yet; I just started. My intention was to work for 3-6 months so I can save and get myself photography equipment because I've learned photography. But I don't think I can stay up to 3 months. I'm not happy at all. The pay is 70k, but the stress involved is worth more than that.

The reason I brought up this topic is because I want people who have had similar experiences to share how they coped; maybe I can learn a thing or two. Also, if you have any online jobs you can teach me, I'm ready to learn. I'm computer savvy.
Let me give a blunt advice

Don't resign from that work until you've saved enough money to cater for your expenses after resigning

Plan everything with realistic estimate before resigning not after

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Calitoscassius(m): 1:13pm On Feb 26
Missyajoke:

Should the op die in the Job, common be reasonable for once.
That mindset is typical of most Naigeerians. cheesy because some people are struggling in their jobs or otherwise then everyone else must struggle in their jobs. Because some people are jobless and looking for work, people who has job even if the jobs are hard, difficult and cheaply paid they should be grateful, in other words stop complaining and die in the job.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Calitoscassius(m): 1:16pm On Feb 26
gammarays:

Let me give a blunt advice

Don't resign from that work until you've saved enough money to cater for your expenses after resigning

Plan everything with realistic estimate before resigning not after
Yea! While he is still in the job and trying to save, he dies in the job. Then what?

Good advice! I guess.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by SirFarads01(m): 1:17pm On Feb 26
ecomalchemistt:
Most of the comments are just motivational speakers with no concrete blueprint on how to get out of this quagmire.. so so big English everywhere !!!

The is is the best advice I can give you for free and it’s practical , start something today ‘

Thank me later !

No JOB in Nigeria...but theres work you can turn into a fulltime JOB.

Your kids can't inherit your job..(JUST OVER BROKE)...start something and scale it.....put your life into it.....

We are over 200 million Nigerians , sell to 1% of that population and smile to the bank.

Times have changed..you need start thinking radically.

Where do you reside currently, you'd need to roll up your sleeves and hit the ground running immediately.

If you are in Lagos or any of the cosmopolitan cities, you need some tools.

- Phone , internet , Laptop (not necessary) , facebook, instagram page, twitter, jumia, konga, facebook marketplace, jiji , etc.

List your products on those platforms..You can start with 100k - 1M...

- go and learn how to run ads (facebook , instagram , google ads , SEO )

- know how to take good pictures.

- use a good logistics company for deliveries.

Enter street, look for big time importers, negotiate with them. Tell them you will bring customers and sell thier products very fast.

One of the hot products i started out with and grew it to a 6 figure business > >

https://www.nairaland.com/7403742/zealot-s67-wireless-speaker-60w

Look for a business that is offline, bring it online and get them sales, make a lot of money.
Not just money...

You will build your confidence.
Your influence will grow, and...
You’ll attract more opportunities to yourself.
You need to start operating smartly.

Look for a business that is offline, bring it online and get them SALES.
Thank me later when you hit your first M

Combine it with POS and bill payment , Fast Moving Consumer Goods business.

Stay safe.

Mentor keep up the good work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by TimiRume(f): 1:17pm On Feb 26
ekenweohia:

From 2017 - 2018, aged about 27 years, I was working as a machine operator in a HDPE plant(producing bottle water caps) in the South east with similar working conditions as yours.
As an engineering graduate from a Federal University, I was grossly underpaid at a 35k monthly salary.
I wanted to quit and learn programming but my fear was how to sustain myself during my learn period.
After working about 1 year there, I was sacked after I had a run-in(funny story for another day) with my manager.
I went back to my parents house and started my programming journey, I did side and menial jobs to sustain myself for the one year I was learning(I was self-taught for many months and landed a free internship after).
I got a job after the internship, changed jobs 3 months later, changed several jobs along the line and by '21/22, I was commanding over 1million Naira in monthly salary. At some point, I had multiple gigs and did about 8million monthly. I'm still a work in progress and I'm grateful to God, nature and experiences.

If I wasn't sacked, I don't know if I'd have gotten the courage to quit and face my life. I'd possibly be there procrastinating.

The moral of my story is to take tough decisions as it'd become clearer as you proceed because when there's a will, there's a way. Selah!
If you need a remote assistant for some workloads, I'm available.
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by gammarays(m): 1:20pm On Feb 26
Calitoscassius:
Yea! While he is still in the job and trying to save, he dies in the job. Then what?

Good advice! I guess.. cheesy
You don't understand
If he resigns now without funds, how can he take care of himself while learning something else. You forget the increasing price of stuffs now.

I gave him a realistic advice,let him get a budget of what he's to spend after resigning and work to get that money.

Unless you want him to beg or you can gift him money

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Nyanabo(m): 1:26pm On Feb 26
Mehn. The hours is just too much
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Whobedatte(m): 1:28pm On Feb 26
Any thing Chinese or Lebanese , run like Usain Bolt.
They don’t run an effective HMO , cooperative for share loans and ordinary loans and always keep casual staffs for more than 6 months or lay off and recruit again .
They work for 12 hrs with only 30 mins break and under no health and safety conditions .
Overall , they pay peanuts and pray you don’t suffer accident while on duty.
Chinese
Lebanese are terrible people to work with .
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by ThothHermes: 1:29pm On Feb 26
SyrusdeHansome:
Most pple are looking for what u`re currently tired of bro so u better sit down and save enof money 4ur future business. If u knw what others are doing for 20k salary you`ll learn 2b grateful by developing a positive mindset.
Talk is cheap. If you do this work you'll have the same complaints. I know this by experience.
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Nice2023(m): 1:33pm On Feb 26
I once worked at Johnson wax in Lagos where they produced coil and raids.

I only worked for a month and I ran away with my life.

Very tedious work.

If u see the oven...it can kill ur sperms. We were warned not be close to fire...In fact,there is no way u can not go close to the fire.

It was hell on earth.
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by xandy84: 1:41pm On Feb 26
While you have some valid points, some jobs are more demanding than others and not everyone will work inside A/C or from home. The government can only enforce minimum wage and work environment safety and leave the employment bargains for employer and employees. US has one of the most enforced labor laws in the one but some jobs na die here too and you wish you never do it but bills still need to be paid.
I had worked in tire shop that pays $12hr in Virginia almost ten years ago. I had to use pain killer every night I get home. I did not quit. I persevere cos I have bills to pay and continue to look for something better. Fast forward to present, I own my business and I charge $100hr to work on a truck with minimum of 2 hours.
Quiting a job cos it's hard without alternative is like letting go of a small bird in hand hoping to catch a big one inside the forest. What if you don't get a big one soon? The OP should continue to hang on to it while looking for something better.

Omanambala:

You are both ignorant and insensitive to the young man's plight. You want him to give up his life because your government who was supposed to provide him with decent employment failed him and now these wicked Chinese people are exploiting our African brothers. You need to see how stressful this jobs are. These Chinese employers work our people to death!

I had a close relative who was doing the same job some years back and they were paying him 8000 naira monthly for a 12 hours shift of which they are required to work 6 days a week. When he told me this I was so angry I wanted to send street boys to that factory and burn it down. To make matters worse, they added Sundays to their working days with same pay. I made him quit the job and started taking care of his financial needs.

The conditions these Chinese people employ our people to work in is nothing less than slavery. If I was a governor I will enact a law to protect my citizens health, pay rate. If my people had to work such inhuman hours then must pay them nothing less that 300,000 monthly or I close that slave camp. Our leaders are simply wicked
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by zebszebs: 1:42pm On Feb 26
A factory job is like a hustle, it's a dead end that leads nowhere.
Especially this kind of factory job, as whatever you "learn" on the job isn't a transferable skill to other jobs/sectors.

I will advise you to learn a skill, stack your coins and then leave
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Scholace: 1:43pm On Feb 26
Timmi:

Let me correct your mindset, the government's responsibility is not to provide employment for her citizens. In any country, the government does not and the citizens do not expect not place a demand on the government to provide employment.
you're truly ignorance. Go and read your Constitution and responsibilities of government to her citizens then come back here. Security of lives and properties, employment opportunities, welfare of the citizens et al are some of the responsibility of your government, which obviously they failed woefully
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by PastorOlokonla: 1:45pm On Feb 26
70k is less than 50usd in a month and some people are saying he is lucky to have the job.

Young people are passing through hellfire in that country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by xandy84: 1:48pm On Feb 26
Some of these quit now and learn a skill advice forget he has to eat, pay bills and possibly buy his equipment to start his photography business. Those equipment ain't chesp. While the job is hard according to OP, there are still people who have been working for more than a year at the job.
The OP needs to hang on to the job, save up and continue to look for something better like you said.

gammarays:

You don't understand
If he resigns now without funds, how can he take care of himself while learning something else. You forget the increasing price of stuffs now.

I gave him a realistic advice,let him get a budget of what he's to spend after resigning and work to get that money.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by Calitoscassius(m): 1:51pm On Feb 26
gammarays:

You don't understand

You don't understand, again, what if he dies or his health detoriates in the job before he could save enough to meet his budget?

Your advice may sound realistic, but his health and life are more important, he could not work to save money if his health is bad or if he dies in the job.

If it comes down to him begging or needs assistance from me, no problem! Atleast he would still be alive and healthy.

Have you ever heard the phrase, health is wealth? cheesy

Pardon me for sounding unreasonable to you but i am being reasonable..
Re: Have You Ever Worked In A Factory? Come In And Share Your Experience by soccerlite: 1:52pm On Feb 26
SyrusdeHansome:

Funny

You don't know factory job

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hijab & Law School: Muslim NSCIA To Protest, Threatens Legal Battles / Professions That Harbor Secrets The Most / Nigeria Customs Top Management In Age Falsification And Corruption Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.