Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,990 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice (21125 Views)

Hiring A Professional Roofing Contractor Is A Wise Decision To Redo A Roof / The Power Of Wise Decision Is Trigged By The Wisdom Of The Eagle, Be Wise / Soakaway Construction: Am I Being Charged Too Much? Please Advice Me. Thanks. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by femi4: 11:09am On Feb 17
Assigned:
I need your advice please πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™ long post but please bear with me

So I currently live in a "boys quarter" apartment where I share toilet with about 13 other neighbors living in the face me face you plus the rest of the BQ tenants.

The good side of the house
The house is just about 2 minutes from the main road (trek able) so I don't spend anything on TFare when I'm going to the bus stop. The area also has about 23hrs of power supply which is very rare to find in some other places in Lagos.

All of which are important because I work hybrid and electricity and transportation are major expenses for anyone in Lagos .

The bad side of the house
I share bathroom and toilet with about 13 other neighbors living in the face me face you plus the rest of the BQ tenants and the toilet is at the far extreme of the house. I pay someone each time it's my turn to clean the toilet and sweep.

I also share prepaid meter with everybody (about 15 plus shops) which causes issues whenever we need to buy units and all.
The house has a rule of always switching off the light during the day and putting it on at night by 8pm which means if I have to use light during the day, I either buy additional unit (which the whole house will use because I can't use it alone - no personal switch) or turn on my generator.
No water in the compound so I have to pay someone to help me with fetching water or I carry bucket
The neighbors are one of the most bitter people I've ever seen, but the landlord doesn't stay with us
I pay about 7,500 monthly on electricity based on this arrangement.

The situation

I plan on renting a room self contain (budget 300k max) around the area but I couldn't find any, other places are either too far, not enough power supply, shared prepaid meter, or even sub par apartment for high price.

So as an alternative, I'm thinking about liaising with the landlord to renovate my apartment, get a personal prepaid meter and also channel water from around the neighborhood. The budget which shouldn't exceed 200k.

Considering all of this, what should I do?

You will lose at the end if your landlord upgrade your apartment. You won't be able to afford his new rent. Take your time till you see house that has the basic amenities and affordable

2 Likes

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Connected1: 11:09am On Feb 17
Jennyclay:
Puke!! embarassed

Sharing toilet with over 13 people is so irritating embarassed.

Ehyaa! You don’t have money to rent decent apartment. Sorry!

People are really suffering in this country. May God help you struggling and broke men!
With your Fake Shirt, Shorts and Slippers.
I don't know much about hairs but it looks cheap too.

Na you dae call person broke. Rubbish.

6 Likes

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Nyanabo(m): 11:13am On Feb 17
Jennyclay:
Puke!! embarassed

People are really suffering in this country. May God help you struggling and broke men!

I'm sure your father couldn't afford that in his time. No wonder you be on hating on hardworking men. Because you dad was a lazy MOFO.

1 Like

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Tradepunter2: 11:13am On Feb 17
JulianBond007:
You want your landlord to make you comfortable by renovating your room and giving you a personal prepaid meter. Why not tell him to build you your own toilet and bathroom?
Oga carry money go rent house. House never finish for your area

Hahahah the guy funny.... You get extra 200k for renovation but you nu want get a better place..... Hahaha maybe the light dy sweet am 😁😁
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by SweetDipBenny(m): 11:13am On Feb 17
The bad side outweighs the good side. Keep searching, you'll find a better place...
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Originalsly: 11:15am On Feb 17
Assigned:

So as an alternative, I'm thinking about liaising with the landlord to renovate my apartment, get a personal prepaid meter and also channel water from around the neighborhood. The budget which shouldn't exceed 200k.

As I see it ... the location is great and this your idea you should try sell to the landlord... it makes a lot of sense and financial sense in particular. Where can you go to get 23hrs electricity... and not pay the extra ever rising cost of transportation? If I were the landlord and you come to me with that suggestion .... I'll say go ahead. What will it cost me to upgrade that room?... nothing. If you want to add toilet and bathroom... I'll also say go ahead.... but increase the rent small. If you need more space I'll run out the neighbour but add his rent to yours. At the end of the day... I will not be spending nor losing income and when you move... I'll be charging an arm and a leg for that luxurious room.... and people will pay. It will be a win win situation... you win and so will the landlord. Go pitch your plan to him.
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Just4000: 11:17am On Feb 17
I don't know how Lagos electricity work. But getting prepaid metre alone may cost over 100k. I will suggest you get the metre yourself and in your name if you have the money. Work with eedc guys so that if you are moving to a new place within the vicinity, you can go with it, some may not allow you to move with it anyway. Metre is like your major concern, I also feel you pay too much for a residential house with over 13 users. The other one can easily be handled by the landlord, of cause that will be increased rent to you. Lagos landlords can easily create toilet and kitchen from your room. That one na small thing
Assigned:

So I currently live in a "boys quarter" apartment where I share toilet with about 13 other neighbors living in the face me face you plus the rest of the BQ tenants.

The house is just about 2 minutes from the main road (trek able) so I don't spend anything on TFare when I'm going to the bus stop. The area also has about 23hrs of power supply which is very rare to find in some other places in Lagos.

All of which are important because I work hybrid and electricity and transportation are major expenses for anyone in Lagos .

I share bathroom and toilet with about 13 other neighbors living in the face me face you plus the rest of the BQ tenants and the toilet is at the far extreme of the house. I pay someone each time it's my turn to clean the toilet and sweep.

I also share prepaid meter with everybody (about 15 plus shops) which causes issues whenever we need to buy units and all.
The house has a rule of always switching off the light during the day and putting it on at night by 8pm which means if I have to use light during the day, I either buy additional unit (which the whole house will use because I can't use it alone - no personal switch) or turn on my generator.
No water in the compound so I have to pay someone to help me with fetching water or I carry bucket
The neighbors are one of the most bitter people I've ever seen, but the landlord doesn't stay with us

The situation

I plan on renting a room self contain (budget 300k max) around the area but I couldn't find any, other places are either too far, not enough power supply, shared prepaid meter, or even sub par apartment for high price.

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by SweetDipBenny(m): 11:18am On Feb 17
Jennyclay:
Puke!! embarassed

I heard you were raped by your father and brother. Now i understand your pain.

6 Likes

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by GodHimself: 11:18am On Feb 17
I suggest you keep searching as you consider other options.

If you shared your preferred area, you never know, someone here could recommend something fair.

Assigned:

The situation

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by samuelson06(m): 11:21am On Feb 17
Talk to your landlord to upgrade the place for you and also look for an apartment within the area. Whichever comes first, you are good. Consider moving from one compound to another and meeting the house owners there. Don't use agents.
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by yewit37486: 11:24am On Feb 17
This attention seeking Jennyclay will just derail thread so tey the poster won't get the advice he needs because people have been distracted replying her FOOLISH comments. I wish there was a way to auto block monikers, cos some people's comments are better not seen or read.

OP, as someone already mentioned, if you plan to stay, discuss with your landlord first and see if you can get a long lease before embarking on any renovation so you don't lose out at the end. Good luck.

7 Likes

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Saviola86: 11:38am On Feb 17
First you didn't tell us how much you earn but that aside.

If you can afford ₦300,000 I believe you can afford ₦350,000

Search harder. You mustnt live in that area.

Everybody must learn to adjust
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by EEIA: 11:39am On Feb 17
Assigned:

The situation

You found the best solution at the time @bolded.

as long as your landlord agrees and understands.
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by emmaattack: 11:41am On Feb 17
Just look for another accommodation. I built and dug soakaway for my landlord only to get a quit notice after a year and half that he had a change of plans. This was a man that embezzrled my initial rent, that made enter an understanding to buoid the place. A Room self contain and even soakaway..... πŸ˜‚
Just look for another accommodation.

The building will always belong to the landlord who never understands that only God can be landlord.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Three13s: 11:43am On Feb 17
Jennyclay:
Puke!! embarassed

Toxic daughter of struggling broke man don drop quote 🀣

1 Like

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by emmaattack: 11:44am On Feb 17
Just look for another accommodation. I built and dug soakaway for my landlord only to get a quit notice after a year and half that he had a change of plans. This was a man that embezzrled my initial rent, that made us enter an understanding to build the place. A Room self contain and even soakaway..... πŸ˜‚
Just look for another accommodation.

The building will always belong to the landlord who never understands that only God can be landlord.

1 Like

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Pennyseo2: 11:46am On Feb 17
Jennyclay:
Puke!! embarassed

Check ur home.. Ur parents n u might be even staying in face me I face u house.... Max 2 rooms

Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by ITbomb(m): 11:51am On Feb 17
Jennyclay:
Puke!! embarassed

He has the money but where there are alternatives, the convenience (electricity and transport) will be sacrificed
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by TheBTCinvestor: 11:53am On Feb 17
Assigned:

The situation

Chai people dey suffer o...dey share toilet with 13 people and BQ occupants? Kai..Pls don't bring a wife or kids into ur pathetic situation....hustle the fvck up !!!! lipsrsealed
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Vickym1(f): 11:58am On Feb 17
IykDee:

Jenny sounds like a really bitter lady. Too bad!!!!
Honestly! She's too toxic

3 Likes

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by duduade: 12:12pm On Feb 17
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Crazy people on this thread

Walahi
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by WantsandMore: 12:19pm On Feb 17
My opinion;
If there's space find the cost estimates of mobile toilet/bathroom...
As for light; get solar installation for during the day. The solar doesn't have to be big budget, just enough to power some bulbs, solar fan & charge your gadgets. Or better still, ditch the solar, but li-po rechargeable batteries, get a 1.2kva inverter battery converter. @ night charge all your big batteries. 200ahms is good if you plan to use big loads during the day. Meanwhile keep saving your mula, tough times don't last only tough people do. Just make the times a bit efficient

1 Like

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by allabig(m): 12:21pm On Feb 17
Jennyclay:
Puke!! embarassed

God punish you for what u typed.
u lack sense.
if this is what u can say to this may God also put u in this kind of situation soon so you know how it feel.
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Slimplush: 12:26pm On Feb 17
Bullfallo:
Just managing the place for now until you get a better place:

The reason i am still where i an today is the peace of mind. I was just adding weight since i move in here. I really need a better place but i an not looking for it. Each time i look for house the agent always carry me to far worst place. E.g poor electricity or not accessible to road, landlord living in the compound Or i dont just like the apartment. something else will just discourage me. Imagine moving to a place your present place is far better. I am yet to see a house which inside is as neat as my present place. I was the one who virgin this apartment the bathroom is fully tiled to the up, kitchen fully tiled to the up. So When i see some half tiles bathroom and kitchen i get discouraged. Or the apartment was not maintain by previous users. Nothing like virgin apartment for me.

So i just remain here hoping one day I will come across a better place by chance.
so upon all the above write-up concerning your present place of residence you are still looking for better place?? .. What you really need now is your own house brother/sister.... Habaaaaaaaaaa!!!
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Samade7: 12:42pm On Feb 17
Jennyclay:
Puke!! embarassed

Heya, sorry......u are not supposed to comment on this forum again till end of June with all these curses n abusive words. Werey.
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Viper000: 12:44pm On Feb 17
Vickym1:

Honestly! She's too toxic
jst checked her profile and truly she’s a toxic bit*h.
She even said it with her mouth dats she’s toxic jst go check her profile u will see it yourself. I pity her, I think she’s till a kid.

1 Like

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by 360command: 12:57pm On Feb 17
Jennyclay:
Puke!! embarassed

what did men do to you. Why are you a misandrist?

2 Likes

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Ishilove: 12:58pm On Feb 17
Heh. See as Jennyclay dey use una catch cruise. When you realise she is trolling 95% of the time, you will stop getting provoked at her comments.

The real reason she is trolling is because she is responding to the inherent misogyny on Nairaland. When you have mosdii, savedday and co on one hand, you have their female counterpart Jennyclay on the other side of the divide.

Talk crap about women, she will talk crap about men. Equal opportunity crap talking 😁

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Atolu01: 1:11pm On Feb 17
Disgusting thread. Death to bully-pickmeishas.

1 Like

Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by altteemy: 1:19pm On Feb 17
Assigned:

What do you suggest I do?

Get these small portable solar generators that work like UPS. Backup during the day and use at night. Solves your power issue.
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Mozegee: 1:43pm On Feb 17
Jennyclay:
Puke!! embarassed

. People like you who always come here and brag has no surname. People who has money do not talk, all he needed was a simple advice,if u can't give shut up your mouth.
Re: Is This A Wise Decision? Please Advice by Greenvaiper: 2:00pm On Feb 17
Jennyclay:
Puke!! embarassed

Everybody hates u on nairaland. You need to change. See the fake aba made slippers you are putting on. Shiorr

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Architect / Which Areas or Estates On The Island Are Least Prone To Flooding? / What Is The Duration Of Annual Rent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.