Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,430 members, 7,954,687 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:13 AM

I Am Tired Of Going To Church - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Am Tired Of Going To Church (17692 Views)

Poll: Am i in order?

Yes: 44% (55 votes)
No: 45% (57 votes)
Undecided: 9% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

Homeless Man Inspired Me To Go To Church Today (Photo) / See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / What's Your Purpose Of Going Home For Christmas ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Natasha2(f): 4:24pm On Nov 11, 2011
Did the Bible ask you to pray through Her? undecided
Did the Bible tell you to make graven images? undecided

@poster please listen to frosbel
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by wetu: 4:32pm On Nov 11, 2011
Read Revelation 4: It shows the pattern of things in Heaven. No Mary, No Jesus. And then Revelation 5 reveals the Lamb of God, The Lion of the tribe of Judah, the root of David.

Why didn't Revelation 5 describe Christ as the Son of Mary. Why in the 22 chapters of Revelation there is no Mary? Because:

Mat 12:49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
Mat 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Whatever was revealed to you that is not from the Bible is a lie from the devil.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by ikhideman(m): 4:43pm On Nov 11, 2011
kelz88:

Even if I wasn't brought up to honour Mary I still would honour her.
Of all the women that could have been chosen for tha
t task. . . .that says a lot.

No one worships her, she is not God. However we regard her, we sometimes pray through her, same way we may ask saints/angels to intercede, or ask a friend to pray for us.

Even the Angel Gabriel honoured and praised her during the annunciation. Her cousin said she was blessed among women and Mary said at one point "from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed".
Do the maths.

@ kelz88:

How can we honour mary, paul etc, by thanking God for their lives & the opportunity to emulate+practice what was written in the Word of God about them.
If we should pray thru' Mary as you say, we should as well pray thru' Peter, James, Paul(wrote two-thirds of the New Testament), Philip, Jude, etc.  

Don't let religion be your teacher, let the Holy Spirit[b](John 14:16 & 26)[/b] be your Teacher, guide, counsellor, helper, etc. There's only ONE WAY to access God, THRU' JESUS, not Mary, not Paul and not Pastor A. [b](John 14:6)[/b]

Open your bible & look thru properly (by the Holy Spirit giving live to the scriptures). Matthew 2:1 & 11, do you know the value of what the wise men brought, they weren't 3 in number
Luke 8:1-3 Jesus' ministry on earth was ALSO sponsored by people that time.

Jesus had a house - Mark 2:1

Only the Holy Spirit can help you understand the Bible(written word); the letter kills, the Spirit gives life - 2 Corinthians 3:6. When the you know the TRUTH(of God's Word by the help of the Spirit), ONLY then can you be set FREE!

Please meditate on the scriptures quoted above(& more the Spirit will reveal to you). Would love to get a positive feed back. Its Well with you.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by kelz88(f): 4:46pm On Nov 11, 2011
Natasha,,:

Did the Bible ask you to pray through Her? undecided
Did the Bible tell you to make graven images? undecided

@poster please listen to frosbel

If someone on earth can pray for you why can't someone in heaven? It is called intercession
Someone deemed holier than man on earth.

(Please note we do not feel it necessary to do so. Personally I only hear her being mentioned in prayer during the Hail Mary prayer)

What graven images? Do we worship the statue of Mary, or the picture of Jesus/crucifix?
They are symbolic, they represent what we believe it. It's also a reminder, like you would have a photograph of someone.

If that is idolatry then protestants are guilty of this too.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by kelz88(f): 4:50pm On Nov 11, 2011
You guys are making it out like we wake up and thank Mary or the saints etc. We pray to God. We use the saints/Mary to intercede on our behalf, especially when we feel our prayers are not currently being answered. Just like we would ask someone to remember us in prayer. . .or help us pray over our exams, etc. Angels/saints/Mary are not God. Please understand our practice instead of making assumptions cos we know what we know, and you guys end up sounding silly. No offence.

Can't believe a few people on here said we worship Mary.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Natasha2(f): 4:54pm On Nov 11, 2011
kelz88:

If someone on earth can pray for you why can't someone in heaven? It is called intercession

(Please note we do not feel it necessary to do so. Personally I only hear her being mentioned in prayer during the Hail Mary prayer)

What graven images? Do we worship the statue of Mary, or the picture of Jesus/crucifix?
They are symbolic, they represent what we believe it. It's also a reminder, like you would have a photograph of someone.

It was stated clearly in the Bible that ''you shall not make for yourself a graven image or likeness of anything that is  in heaven above or that is in the earth beneath or that is in the water underneath EXODUS 20:4 please was this part omitted in your Bible?  so don't talk about worship  because you are not even supposed to make those images, what do people do knelling in front of the statue shouting mother Mary this mother Mary that? we don't need a reminder God is in our heart so are you trying to tell me if you don't see those images you will forget God exits? wow is just like saying you need a picture of your head or hand to remind you you have a head or hand  shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Iyykanu: 4:58pm On Nov 11, 2011
These people know absolutely nothing about catholism and I am not ready to engage them. They should go deeper, to know transsubstanciation and substanstanciation. Last week during all saints day, at the mass I ponder on the readings and said to myself. if your eyes are in amassing unimaginable wealth then heaven will be very far. The so-called MOG are far from God, in fact they don't even know God.Their god is their stomach.

I laugh when people say we don't read Bible. No church reads/studies bibles more than us. Every day, at times thrice a day during lenth and advent. This morning read some.

Is it because , for easy and uniform reading we put it in Missal or Bulletin.

I went to a church for a wedding and the man of God, a very big church respected. All you read after me, it was chaotic, I did not hear a thing, why some read from KJV, some from NIV, some RSV, some NKJV, some NJB, NTB, etc.

I laugh honestly, catholic complete.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Nobody: 4:59pm On Nov 11, 2011
Latter-Day-Saint remains one of the best churches in town!
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by ikhideman(m): 5:03pm On Nov 11, 2011
kelz88:

You guys are making it out like we wake up and thank Mary or the saints etc. We pray to God. We use the saints/Mary to intercede on our behalf, especially when we feel our prayers are not currently being answered. Just like we would ask someone to remember us in prayer. . .or help us pray over our exams, etc. Angels/saints/Mary are not God. Please understand our practice instead of making assumptions cos we know what we know, and you guys end up sounding silly. No offence.

Can't believe a few people on here said we worship Mary.

We know you don't worship Mary; but you guys make so much "big" deal(don't misunderstand me) about her that it seems like worship. Mary was a vessel/channel thru' which Jesus came to earth, just the same way Paul was the vessel/channel thru' which Salvation came to the Gentile nations. They were vessels and humans like us who allowed themselves to be used by God for Great Things.

Its NOT SAID anywhere in the Bible that Mary, Paul, Peter, can intercede for us; but the Holy Spirit, See:Romans 8:26-27 Halleluyah!!!

Please read my previous comment  & study the Bible properly. Don't take what you were taught (probably @ 8 yrs) hook, line & sinker; check the Bible to see if its true - See: Acts 17:11
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Natasha2(f): 5:05pm On Nov 11, 2011
ikhideman:

We know you don't worship Mary; but you guys make so much "big" deal(don't misunderstand me) about her that it seems like worship. Mary was a vessel/channel thru' which Jesus came to earth, just the same way Paul was the vessel/channel thru' which Salvation came to the Gentile nations. They were vessels and humans like us who allowed themselves to be used by God for Great Things.

Its NOT SAID anywhere in the Bible that Mary, Paul, Peter, can intercede for us; but the Holy Spirit, See:Romans 8:26-27 Halleluyah!!!

Please read my previous comment  & study the Bible properly. Don't take what you were taught (probably @ 8 yrs) hook, line & sinker; check the Bible to see if its true - See: Acts 17:11
WORD on point. cheesy
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by kelz88(f): 5:06pm On Nov 11, 2011
macfarland:

Latter-Day-Saint remains one of the best churches in town!

Watch the book of mormon south park episode.
The soundtrack says a lot grin grin
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Iyykanu: 5:07pm On Nov 11, 2011
which Bible are you people even refering to?

66 books or 73 books
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by ogajim(m): 5:40pm On Nov 11, 2011
@OP

If you can't find a place to worship with like minds, start a home fellowship, it is way BETTER to worship with like minded people than sit through a service where you have to wear a FILTER all day to filter the crap from the few GOOD soundbites.

Iron sharpens iron so you do need to join other BELIEVERS to worship God instead of going to a place some "mog" is going to make you feel bad for "robbing God" in tithes and offerings without which you can't be "blessed" as if God's blessings are for sale.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by EvilBrain1(m): 5:40pm On Nov 11, 2011
Its funny that OP is tired of church and want's to stay at home and watch TBN instead. Meanwhile TBN has some of the worst examples of everything that is wrong with Christianity today. They actively promote well documented frauds like Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, Creflo Dollar, Eddie Long, Paula White, Joyce Meyer and co and they are constantly pestering their viewers to buy overpriced books, tape and CDs or just to send money in exchange for nothing.

The whole channel is one huge commercial enterprise capitalizing on the naivety of old people with too much time on their hands. The bullshît is so thick, yon can cut it with a knife.

If you don't believe me, just wait till January when all of them start with their "firstfruits" preaching. AKA send us you entire January salary or else God won't bless you this year!

Nonsense.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by kelz88(f): 5:42pm On Nov 11, 2011
We don't make a big deal out of it. It might seem that way because we are the only ones who regard her to that extent, so it might stand out more than it would have, say if another set of people felt this way about her.

And like I said, she is hardly ever mentioned, except during Hail Mary, which is always said during mass.
Or while saying the rosary-which is not done during mass.

You can ask the apostles to intercede on your behalf too, no one is against that. I just group them as angels/saints.
We pray with them, not to them. Since saints led holy lives and are close to God in heaven, we feel that their prayers are particularly effective.

"First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and respectful in every way. This is good, and pleasing to God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth" (1 Tim. 2:1–4)
Intercession is mentioned here.

Natasha, re: your quote:

The best reply I can give you is

Anti-Catholic writer Loraine Boettner, in his book Roman Catholicism, makes the blanket statement, "God has forbidden the use of images in worship" (281). Yet if people were to "search the scriptures" (cf. John 5:39), they would find the opposite is true. God forbade the worship of statues, but he did not forbid the religious use of statues. Instead, he actually commanded their use in religious contexts!

Please read  Ex. 25:18–20 where God commanded the making of statutes.

1 Chr. 28:18–19. David made statutes at the altar.

Num. 21:8–9 >>Moses was instructed by God to make an image of a serpent (EWW)
This did not mean they worshiped it. (Not at that point anyway)

God forbids the worship of images and not the making of it. If that was the case then even in protestant churches, the images of Jesus would have been banned.

It is when people begin to adore a statue as a god that the Lord becomes angry. Thus when people did start to worship the bronze serpent as a snake-god (whom they named "Nehushtan"wink, the righteous king Hezekiah had it destroyed (2 Kgs. 18:4).

I rest my case on this issue.

We can't agree on everything.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by chinedumo(m): 5:43pm On Nov 11, 2011
publisher:

[size=15pt]It's OK to get tired of going to church,just don't ever get tired of PRAYING. That's when there'll be problem.

Many Pentecostals believe that right from birth to teenage years,Jesus was a super baby that was locked in a room where he'ld be flying up and down all day. They fail to realize that Christ was 100% human and vulnerable,we read of how he was tempted by the devil as an adult. Many dont realize that the child Jesus must have also been tempted in his formative years just like any regular kid and needed his parents guidance. But since 'its not written in the bible',Protestants will not listen.
Baby/Child Jesus was bathed by someone,someone changed his diapers,someone taught him his first words, someone cooked for Jesus. If the virgin Mary had derailed in anyway on her responsibilities as a mother towards Jesus Christ's formative years,that would have really altered or even destroyed God's plans for mankind.
That's why the bible says that 'all nations shall call her blessed'.,Protestants dont know this!

Perhaps that's why the Catholic church keeps on growing in spite of the flaws present amongst some of its clergy,then again,they are only Human.[/size]

I am unaware of any scripture that says that Mary will be called blessed of all nations or from generation to generation
That is the problem

Parental guidance is what Parents do

Jesus is who he is because he was taught of God not because he is taught of Mary

Mary is not the best mother on earth

Jesus did not turn out better than most kids simply because Mary did a better work than other mothers

it is not only Mary that is suppose to be called blessed

Judges 5
24Blessed above women shall Jael the wife of Heber the Kenite be, blessed shall she be above women in the tent.

25He asked water, and she gave him milk; she brought forth butter in a lordly dish.

26She put her hand to the nail, and her right hand to the workmen's hammer; and with the hammer she smote Sisera, she smote off his head, when she had pierced and stricken through his temples.

Matthew 26:13
I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."

Here is what Jesus thinks of veneration of his mother
He thinks that there is a higher blessedness for any who obeys the word than for Mary his mother

Luke 11:27
As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, "Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you."
He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by onchefx: 5:59pm On Nov 11, 2011
well my friend i want you to understand that,church is in your heart, the accommodation is only a house,the pastor is like any other member in the congregation,if going to the congregation house set your faith backward the say @ home read your bible communicate with God,and do the right thing all the time.like myself i don't go to church, i just walk with my bible
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by tampa1871: 6:00pm On Nov 11, 2011
Gaggi:

I'm not a spiritual LovePeddler but i have been in a number of churches.

Anglican----- the pastor brought his mistress to be living in same hse with his wife. He was later suspended but i lost faith.

Catholic---------rich men are made knights. Men with more than one wives. Known thieving politicians are knighted too.

CE--------too much idolizing of Chris. They even give u target to meet, all in the name of sowing seed.

RCCG---------pastor was paying 120k/mth to rent a hall when we had a building half completed. Abandoned our branch when we ran out of funds.

MFM--------never went there but my folks did. One of their pastors vamoozed with church money.

Cele----went there when i was a kid but even at that age i knew these guys were fraudsters.   grin

I know that there is no perfect church. The more reason why i shouldn't let imperfect people teach me wrong doctrines.
God knows i will always serve him till i die but i will never see any pastor as better and holier than me again.
There lies the problem, you have been looking to these people as your ROLE MODELS when you should be looking at JESUS CHRIST, was Judas not one of the desciples, did PETER NOT FAILED 3 TIMES and many more, I Know how Pious and concerned you are to live a Holy life, but my brother, BY FLESH SHALL NO MAN PREVAIL AND BY GRACE ONLY YE ARE SAVED, LOOKING UNTO JESUS THE AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF OUR FAITH. I am in no way consenting to the behavior of those you have mentioned but I just want to encourage you to keep on keeping on. No perfect Church, even Jerusalem Church headed by James was imperfect.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Natasha2(f): 6:04pm On Nov 11, 2011
@kelz88 God ordered the making of those images,  He commanded ''those people' as you your self clearly wrote, ''HE INSTRUCTED'' whereas He never said anywhere in His Word that we should make images of Jesus or Mary as a reminder  cheesy I have catholic friends and every time all they say is those images are to serve as reminders  just like you clearly stated, but as it is we need not any reminder to tell us God exist, so what exactly is the need for them?
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by chinedumo(m): 6:12pm On Nov 11, 2011
Natasha,,:

@kelz88 God ordered the making of those images,  He commanded ''those people' as you your self clearly wrote, ''HE INSTRUCTED'' whereas He never said anywhere in His Word that we should make images of Jesus or Mary as a reminder  cheesy I have catholic friends and every time all they say is those images are to serve as reminders  just like you clearly stated, but as it is we need not any reminder to tell us God exist, so what exactly is the need for them?

we will still remember with out the images
we need the word to remember not images
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Natasha2(f): 6:15pm On Nov 11, 2011
chinedumo:

we will still remember with out the images
we need the word to remember not images
but your mate said they serve as reminders

you haven't still answered my question anyway , what is the essence of the images?
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Iyykanu: 6:26pm On Nov 11, 2011
Men and Brethren who wrote the Book of "Hebrews"?

It is one of the most powerful books in the Bible.

Back to Our Blessed Virgin Mother, Mary and Our Lady (pray for us).
Jesus , have mercy on us. Because only he can forgive sins as he is God(one and same with the father)

"Pray for us" and "have mercy on us" are two distinct phrases.

Mary is exceptional,

Do you know that Mary was a virgin throughout her life time on earth. Immaculate Conception. She gave birth as a Virgin and was assumed (Assumption: was taken up into heaven by the angels , she did not die)?

She had only Jesus and still remained a Virgin. Jesus "ascended" (Ascension: He had the powers and was God angels did not aid him)

If you observe carefully all my posts, I say Bible and medieval confusion by the protestants led by Martin Luther.

I will like someone to tell me who wrote "Hebrews". Have an open mind , this is the problem with Pentecostals, inquire how these books were even gathered together to form Bible. The white men that even brought this religion are even questioning.

Finally , Bible is dispensational and God dealings with man is very unique, each dispensation has its unique attributes. You ask yourself , why are miracles not overflowing as written in Bible where Paul/Peter/Elijah could of certainty decree a thing and it comes to pass uniquely. Not to a crowd of 10,000 people, someone here is bearing Jude, he shall prosper. Someone here will rise to the top. Common sense will tell us , the probability of someone making it out of 100k is very very high and with a large % disappointed.

Why can't men of God healed amputees, command legs and hands to grow back etc. Instead we hear of abstract things like moving object, hypertension, HIV. Or is God not powerful to do all things?

Like Marx said Religion tries to give people false hope of accomplishment, as far back as 17/18th century. Studies too have linked Religion and Poor/deteriorating Economy. Let me use my own Catholic, as example. All over the world and developed especially, the rates of ordination new priests are declining except one continent that it is rising and guess…, Africa. We now supply priests to the developed worlds. As young men are not interested in becoming priest due to celibacy and since priests are taken care of by the parish and very well.

If the Economy improves greatly, many people will shun church like in the developed. What will you as a MOG tell Finnish or Norwegian, where Govt has taken care of 80% of his problems. Go and prosper, he would look at you.
Tune to Inspiration and TBN…money ,money, money, Mike Murdoch, Ayo, etc And the tape is replayed severally. Eact time there is always 1000 that should make that call and give $1,000.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 11, 2011
All this pastors dey make person tire sef. They make church look like comedy ground.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 11, 2011
Mary was just an incubator for d Lord Jesus. Nothing special about her. Catholics are practicing idolatry.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by publisher(m): 6:31pm On Nov 11, 2011
kelz88:

[size=15pt]That's the problem with Pentecostals,in everything they ask 'is it in the bible'. The bible itself says that there are many things,miracles and events that were never recorded. Pentecostals don't realize that the bible as we know it was made up of several books which the early church edited and compiled into one bible. Most protestant believe that God sat down in heaven on a table with angel Gabriel and instructed;'Oya,Gabby, begin writing,Genesis chapter one'.
A graven image dedicated to a foreign god is what God frowns at,not graven images dedicated to God himself or the heavens.
In the old testament,when snakes were biting and killing Israelites,God instructed them to create an image;a stick pole with a snake wriggled around it and that who ever looks upon the image will be healed. Didn't God have the powers to just snap his fingers and then all the snake bites would disappear? In the new testament,it was now revealed that just as the snake on stick was raised so that Israelites would look upon it and find healing,so will the son of man be raised. Its in the bible o,but protestants wont see it.
When Christ wanted to heal one blind guy,he spat on sand and made a spittle using it to cure the blind man, couldn't Jesus have snapped his fingers and the blind man eyes would still open? Any graven image or whatever dedicated to the most high God can and will be used for miracles.
Protestants are hypocrites,they raise portraits and adore (near worship) pictures of their G.Os and Pastors,they use white handkerchiefs and the likes for their miracles,yet they criticize Catholics.
Tufiaa  tongue[/size]
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by inedi: 6:32pm On Nov 11, 2011
Please don't be, for this is just the beginning, for many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the lord deleveret them all, I don't what most have led to thisnyour present state, but the bible says count it all joy when you go through devers test.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by jdiadem: 6:43pm On Nov 11, 2011
Dear friend,
i very much understand your feelings and conclusion, think about this.
1. the leadership in the country is so bad i think i should also steal and embezzle-if you're caught and sentenced, who's to blame.
the devil planted most of those kind of "men of god" because of people like you. when so many people get discouraged because of such people, they for-go church and then conscience and then God and the devil wins them over for hell. if you study your bible very well it won't bother you a bit. you'll know they are planted by the devil to win people for hell.
my advice
be sincere with yourself, study the scriptures and compare any teaching with the word of God in depth before accepting it.
you can see "www.livingseed.org' for good christian materials and bible study group. the deeper life church is also very good if you'll not go because of people but for the word of God only.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Nobody: 7:14pm On Nov 11, 2011
The bane of catholicism is idolatory.

All these men masquerading as God-sent are a complete rip off.

My guy, I stopped going to church a long time ago and I have no regrets.

I was born and brought up in the Assemblies of God church but what I see today in that same church is preposterous!
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Nobody: 7:47pm On Nov 11, 2011
For there to be a fake, there has to be an original. In the right spirit and patience the original will be found.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 11, 2011
For there to be a fake, there has to be an original. In the right spirit and patience the original will be found.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by binkabir(m): 11:08pm On Nov 11, 2011
grin angry sad grin grin grin
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Nobody: 12:15am On Nov 12, 2011
@Poster, at ur quite time, sit back and go thru dis site: www.lds.org

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Another Gospel: The Benny Hinn Experience / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? / Plateau Killings: Pastor And His Wife Cry As His Church Was Burned Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.