Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,234 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

I Am Tired Of Going To Church - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Am Tired Of Going To Church (17559 Views)

Poll: Am i in order?

Yes: 44% (55 votes)
No: 45% (57 votes)
Undecided: 9% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

Homeless Man Inspired Me To Go To Church Today (Photo) / See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / What's Your Purpose Of Going Home For Christmas ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by venchi: 10:06am On Nov 11, 2011
if you are tired of going to church just do me one more favor try THE LORD's CHOSEN @ ijesha bustop osodi apapa express way you will see God that in true spirit and holiness
as you that almighty God will bless you
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by truefact: 10:21am On Nov 11, 2011
@ Gaggi, I stopped long time ago, at least a year now, i cant be mumu again for this so call pastors bragging in the presences of their "CUSTOMERS" how rich they are and how they dont care if you come to their church or not, oooh those so call pastors brag alot and insult their "CUSTOMERS" in their face without the Customers doing a thing about it. THEY TEACH THINGS THAT SUIT THEIR PURPOSES. NONE OF THEM IS A MAN OF GOD.

Again, you dont need church or fellowship to go to heaven or be religious, "One believes with Heart and Confess with mouth: Just read your bible and believe and confess God and His son, period.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 11, 2011
@Gaggi: i knw hw u feel nd I jst wish uhad talkd to sumone abt dis nt on Nairaland, too many 'church haters'. Anyways, i'd advise u to rescind ur decision abt church, rather see it in dis light.
In these days of monumental decadence nd world chaos, Christianity keeps expanding and offers succour to millions world over. Christ spoke of His gospel fillin d earth before He comes again. Also, d church is d ground nd pillar of truth acc to d Bible, Jesus went to church while on earth nd we r advisd in Heb. 10:22 not to forsake d assemblin of our selves togethr.
Point is, no matter wat it is u experienced in church, dnt let urself be deluded into blivin u cn do it all by urself, evn Jesus cldnt. A singl chord is easily snapped, bt a braided chord withstands more. The church is waxing strong nd will continue to do so til d end of time. Droppin out now doesnt guarantee u keepin d faith. Pray abt dis, seek sound spiritual counsel, above all, aim @ a deeper rltnshp wit God cos dats wat'll keep u goin evn if'brethren' seem to be deviating.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 11, 2011
Sirniyeh:

Nairaland is a forum that exposes people IQ. There is a ladder that connects heaven and earth, the ladder that Angel ascend and descend. This ladder is not found in the bible. It is found in human mind. So human mind is the most expensive treasure on earth. But if this mind stays too long under an oppression, preachings, teachings, environment etc the mind gets obssessed, captivated, disconnected, obscured and begin to affect thinking faculty. So what people post in this forum is a reflective of what obssesed their mind. That's whhy i say no body is intelligent to know how foolish he is until he faces the nemesis. Gaagi, as I've said earlier follow your mind. Whatever you believe, hold on to it! Because the greatest truth in life is not found in bible

Nigerians do not like to hear philosophical insights like this.
Consciousness and life, for most, begins and ends with the Bible and the Koran - books which do little to promote any meaningful contributions made to civilization by the black man.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by lynxnoon(m): 10:25am On Nov 11, 2011
@poster
its not about gojng to church or not.  .  .  .  what exactly are you looking for in these churches you are going to and not getting?
If u are really tired, there's something you can do and i promise you if you stick to it you will eventually know which church to attend;
Make a serious effort to read your bible every day, even if its for 30mins or less; and have a quiet time to pray for God to show and lead you on what to do.
If you can do this with all seriousness for at least a week or two; you will find the right place to attend wink

Cheers smiley
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by KINGwax(m): 10:27am On Nov 11, 2011
Iyykanu:

I am catholic and will die a catholic, nearest church I might attend is Anglican/Presbyterian/Methodist. Any church established by an individual is his private estate. When he dies, he wills it to his family like Idahosa ,the wife took over, Anayo Iluputaife to Nkechi, Oduyemi of Bethel  to wife.

Any catholic priest that starts acquiring and amassing personal wealth,  we petition and the person stops climbing the altar, a priest owns nothing, wife, children, he is given everything on freewill, if he dies they all stay in the parish.

The catholic was bold enough to apologise to Galileo's family in 92. Can the so-called new breed arrogant churches that claim that they have breakfast every morning with Jesus do that.

Catholic churches all over lagos are now jam packed. Some parishes have increased their services from 3 to 5 yet no space.Those , that ran saying all sorts, after being deceived are back. But I advise them to re-possess their faith by opening declaring "the Nicene Creed), "I believe , "

Few years, some left catholic and joined CPA and they burnt by Rev DR King, HAHAHAHAHAHA.
thanks for the epistles. The fact that you guys pray to mary's 'STATUE' passes you out for an idol worshiper. I might have asked to check your bible,but i'm sure you don't have one! But borrow one and read exodus 20 4and5
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by bong4(m): 10:29am On Nov 11, 2011
@poster As much as i try to understand your frustration at churches, it is not an excuse not to go to any one.
I recommend Bro Gbile Akani's books and messages to any one who needs and does not shy away from the hard and undiluted Word of God you may not find in many churches. I am not a member of his church as he does not even emphasize church but listening to his messages and reading his books keeps me on track.

You can lay your hands on some:
1. Dignity of Manhood (Highly recommended)
2. Becoming like Jesus
3. When the Heavens are closed
4. No more two (married couples)

@poster, you can send your email, phone number and address details to okon4goodnews@yahoo.com, i just may get some across to you.
God bless you
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by freecocoa(f): 10:42am On Nov 11, 2011
I thought I was the only one feeling like this o,I even opened a thread too.
The false teachings have really gotten out of hand and it seems to be on the increase everyday,even the churches we thought were almost perfect are now joining the charade.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Funseeka(m): 10:45am On Nov 11, 2011
Pentecostal in Nigeria = fame and financial aggrandizement on the side of the pastors.

By hook or crook, the bulk of these pastors are after wealth and fame. Fame and wealth acquisition are at the forefront; just look at your pastor and his style of administration. I must appreciate their ingenuity in making a whole lot of us happily comply with their biding.

• Tithing
• Offering
• More prayers/blessing/miracles for higher donors
• Miracle miracle miracle
• Miracles are advertised why? Because it is a business venture.

It amazes me how some of them built massive churches by making us pay for them. And yet these churches are personal/family businesses whether we believe it or not.

The unfortunate aspect of religion in Nigeria is that some of us think we know what we are doing, but are actually in the dark and blindfolded by fortune hunters masquerading as a pastor. Why are “men of God” so concerned about sowing of seed? Can we buy God’s favour/blessing?

When the preaching centers on, your enemy shall die, money will come your way next month, you shall be the next Jonathan, without telling you to work hard and always be on the side of truth, then watch out because you would be required to sow seed.

@poster
Let the church message/teaching be your guide and not human fallibility.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Kx: 10:53am On Nov 11, 2011
I felt the way u now feel after seeing the videos in this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-786926.0.html#msg9391485.

But like they say, its a solo race. I cant quit attending church service after watching this, I just became a bit
more exposed to the basic truth that not all the "men" of God may be true.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Afam4eva(m): 10:54am On Nov 11, 2011
Why does every church goer always have something negative to say about other churches. This is one thing that turns me off about going to church. In as much as i'm not against the church institution, i don't find it mandatory. At least there's no where it's written in the bible.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Joagbaje(m): 10:55am On Nov 11, 2011
zoelife:

@Gaggi: i knw hw u feel nd I jst wish uhad talkd to sumone abt dis nt on Nairaland, too many 'church haters'. Anyways, i'd advise u to rescind your decision abt church, rather see it in dis light.
In these days of monumental decadence nd world chaos, Christianity keeps expanding and offers succour to millions world over. Christ spoke of His gospel fillin d earth before He comes again. Also, d church is d ground nd pillar of truth acc to d Bible, Jesus went to church while on earth nd we r advisd in Heb. 10:22 not to forsake d assemblin of our selves togethr.
Point is, no matter wat it is u experienced in church, dnt let urself be deluded into blivin u cn do it all by urself, evn Jesus cldnt. A singl chord is easily snapped, bt a braided chord withstands more. The church is waxing strong nd will continue to do so til d end of time. Droppin out now doesnt guarantee u keepin d faith. Pray abt dis, seek sound spiritual counsel, above all, aim @ a deeper rltnshp wit God cos dats wat'll keep u goin evn if'brethren' seem to be deviating.

God bless you . This is a great counsel . There is power in christian fellowshiping with one another.

1 John 1:7
. . . we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by martinosi: 10:58am On Nov 11, 2011
Gaggi:

Anybody going through this same thing? I mean, there is so much false teachings these days. A pastor tries to switch things in the bible to suit his purpose.Too much idolization of an ordinary man just because he started a church.

I love God and want to serve him in spirit and in truth. I want to read my bible and other christian books by myself at home. I want to pray on my own and watch channels like TBN where i can screen the types of messages i hear. I don't mind home fellowship with like minds. I'm just tired of structured church setup.

As far as i'm concerned, orthodox, white garment, pentecostal etc are all the same.

Please fellow Christians, hope i ain't wrong?

U sound too vague, where do you reside and what Church do you go too?
U need to be more specific and drop facts, or else nobody can really help you
or give some clear & sound advise. Untill you do this everybody here speaking on the issue is just
"Blowing Air",
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Kay1kay1(m): 10:59am On Nov 11, 2011
@ Gaggi

Every true believer (strong/weak or whatever name) feels what you feel now. We are human. We have a spirit. That spirit yearns for the truth. One thing you should note is that there is no perfect church (name or brand) here on earth. Yes, the body of Christ (the true church) is perfect.

Pray and fast on your own. Ask God to reveal Himself to you and a true fellowship of believers where your thirst will be quenched. You mentioned about your pastor twisting the Word. That twisting is not the first and will not be the last.

True Church is not about a name, a person or material gains. It is about your spirit and the true relationship (connection) with the Lord.

Again, many are called. Yes, many. Many deviate. Only God  can show you where your needs will be met. True Fellowship is important for growth.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Emary(f): 10:59am On Nov 11, 2011
I'm equally in a similar dilemma with Gaggi. Mine is not exactly that I'm tired of going to church as I enjoy worship and hearing the word of God but I'm at a point where I'm not sure where to worship since there is so much hypocrisy in Nigerian Churches. I was also raised Catholic and though I know there is no actual idol worship in the church, I'm conflicted by some of their doctrines which I don't personally agree with. I know it's good to fellowship but where? I need everyone's prayers as I've been asking God to direct me to the proper place He wants me to be of best use to him.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Baawaa(m): 11:06am On Nov 11, 2011
@Gaggi,my brother you might not know,you are sick spiritually.Pray that God should heal your Spiritually sickness,
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by damipaul(m): 11:11am On Nov 11, 2011
I must commend the comments of some on this thread, especially Joagbaje, thanks for ur time and intellect. Poster, i'm particularly glad about one thing in your circumstance, you have a mind of your own, you know when a message is not biblical and when it's to the preacher's personal interest, though that can only be properly done when a mind is engulfed  in God's word, when the individual as studied and shown himself approved unto God, my advice is that you look out for a better church. Be serious with it, give it the same tenacity you'll give a job hunt, it's that serious if not more.
One other thing, know that these preachers are mortals like you, they are error prone, i'll advice you don't look too much into their private lives, you might open a can of worms.
Besides, you also have a responsibility to pray for them. I hope my comments helped a little. cheers
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Nobody: 11:13am On Nov 11, 2011
I think the best way to get a hot topic and a lively thread on N/L now is to diss the church, undecided lipsrsealed
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by BoOOosHBoy: 11:16am On Nov 11, 2011
Hmmm. I heard it from you oooo
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by damipaul(m): 11:17am On Nov 11, 2011
Ijogz K:

I think the best way to get a hot topic and a lively thread on N/L now is to diss the church,   undecided lipsrsealed

True worship is the most important thing in life
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by minimynimo(m): 11:21am On Nov 11, 2011
You are not alone. But my experience taught me that there is need for fellowship. Feel absolutely no guilt in walking out of any environment where you feel you un-nourished. Be careful but keep seeking till you find where your spirit is at peace.

Stay away from being a 'worker' for a while. Don't get drafted with those stupid spinning.

But ABOVE ALL, keep your focus in-between the chapters, ie study to show YOURSELF approved unto GOD. However good and untwisted and undiluted the preaching is, if you do not have fellowship with the Word you are not going to move forward and upward.

God Speed

1 Like

Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by omosexy1: 11:24am On Nov 11, 2011
@ Gaggi you are not a alone. many have found peace worshiping God and reading their bible alone. and Guess what! God answers their prayers if not even faster. Your spiritual consciousness is awakening; seek truth and you shall find.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by golamike: 11:26am On Nov 11, 2011
It's not what the pastor does or says that matters but what the Holy Spirit interprets to you. Staying out of church will not stop you from seeing things that will discourage you or make ur faith grow cold (they abound everywhere in our society). Fellowship is very important, if ur spirit is not pleased with the church u're attending, ask God to lead you to a church where u'll grow in love and faith. You must also know there's no perfect church as there is no perfect man. Fellowship is one of the tools to perfection through Christ (iron sharpeneth iron), as we are meant to be our brothers keepers. Just keep your faith and do what u know is right though the leading of the Holy Ghost and not what the pastor says.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by ebenezer95(m): 11:31am On Nov 11, 2011
The fact is that those pastors can even do what they preach so bad
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Orikinla(m): 11:33am On Nov 11, 2011
Poster, which church?
A church is not a place or a building.

A church is a gathering of two or more people who believe in God and worship HIM in truth and in spirit.

By their fruits you shall know a true church or a fake one.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by icare1: 11:43am On Nov 11, 2011
THE PUPORSE OF GOING TO CHURCH IS TO OBEY THE COMMAND OF GOD TO KEEP SABBATH HOLY AND TO FELLOWSHIP.

IF YOU DO NOT LIKE A CHURCH BECAUSE OF ITS MESSAGE , MOVE TO ANOTHER ONE UNTIL YOU GET IT.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by texazzpete(m): 11:44am On Nov 11, 2011
KINGwax:

thanks for the epistles. The fact that you guys pray to mary's 'STATUE' passes you out for an idol worshiper. I might have asked to check your bible,but i'm sure you don't have one! But borrow one and read exodus 20 4and5

So says a man who worships his pastor grin
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by cxploits(m): 11:52am On Nov 11, 2011
Your decision will amount to disobedience to the Word of God, and you know HIS is HIMSELF: 'DO NOT FORSAKE THE ASSEMBLYING OF BRETHREN'
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by chiteny(m): 11:55am On Nov 11, 2011
Good posting bro.Although everyone too had tried their best in their own way,but this chitney to me by far is more "soothing".however to join any gathering,do so with an open unbiased mind and not necessarily based on what you 'see by sight'.
And to start a "fellowship" center,do you suppose you know the reason why there are different ministries? They have various purposes.some for healing,some for teaching,some for overseas mission,etc.have u asked urself "why I'm I to start a fellowship center?".what's the purpose.u never can tell u may need additional "training and exposure" from bible colleges,etc.
Take some time off,observe from the media which messages seemed applicable to your "gift"then perhaps,you are on the right path.
I once heard of a minister in the mission I'm a worker,RCCG. His then pastor was so nasty and vindictive he was frustrated to live having spent more than 15 years.but guess what,after a brief break rather than living he started a house fellowship center but aligned with another province entirely. Today,he has no regret for that decision as that fellowship center is now a zonal headquaters.
Shalom!

Mr jidewin, Sir thanks for your response. But i was hoping to get a reply from Mr Joagbaje Sir smiley. I am glad for your response. Though one may not be the head of the house fellowship, one can attend one in place of church. This is my position. For me the idea behind not neglecting the fellowship with the brethren is all about people coming together in one place (they could be 2 or more) and pray, praise and worship this our God with a pure heart in spirit and in truth. It could be just one place of meeting. No need for Branches or what have you. You sit together and prayerfully discuss the word and works of God. You will be amazed at the display of God's true gift amongst your fellow brethren that would bless you far much more than you can imagine. I wish i could be involved in such gathering as this. If i do, I could choose to go or not to go to my big church or gathering as an option (if i like).
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by gulfer: 12:07pm On Nov 11, 2011
Anybody going through this same thing? I mean, there is so much false teachings these days. A pastor tries to switch things in the bible to suit his purpose.Too much idolization of an ordinary man just because he started a church.

I love God and want to serve him in spirit and in truth. I want to read my bible and other christian books by myself at home. I want to pray on my own and watch channels like TBN where i can screen the types of messages i hear. I don't mind home fellowship with like minds. I'm just tired of structured church setup. As far as i'm concerned, orthodox, white garment, pentecostal etc are all the same.

Please fellow Christians, hope i ain't wrong?
This is a germinating idea and i am sure you would in time go beyond just fellowship and start up a church ala what you want in a church. Most of the pentecostal churches here in the country started as that, 'my idea of a church'. Last but not least, picture the happening in the church as the world where things are not as they should be but there is liberty to chose either to join or not. Look for a bible believing church and serve GOD as you would want. Try my church, Yaba Baptict Church; where christ is the answer.
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by silibaba: 12:12pm On Nov 11, 2011
catholic church remains the very best cheesy cheesy cheesy
99% percent of churches we have around preach against catholic church angry angry, Jesus said "peter you are the rock and on this rock i will build my church and no power in heaven nor in hell will prevail our it. that is why the more people talk against catholic, the more it grow shocked shocked
am afraid of this new generation churches around, infact the name of the street i resides has been changed to cburch street. we hardly sleep at night due to the every day vigil angry angry angry angry
i think this is where sanusi is ought to be working at less liquidate most of this churches i personally call banking hall grin grin
ROMAN CATHOLIC ALL THE WAYYY!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: I Am Tired Of Going To Church by Nobody: 12:13pm On Nov 11, 2011
I was raised a catholic as well and the church is also not too different from these other prosperity hunters eg (harvest/bazaar parol). Few years ago, i was actually in same dilema! Mine was so bad that on a particular sunday i popped into about 3 different services/churches and all they were preaching was just (money:tithe, sowing seed, church building donations et al).
My spriti is still groaning for a gathering of brethrens where i can worship my God in whole truth,spirit and seeking holiness. However, i accidentally bumped into a church (Convenant Christian Church). Why i'm a bit comfortable with CCC is that you will never hear the pastor call people out to donate money/seed for one church project or the other! It is only based on those that are led by the spirit to give and there is no- show man- show while doing same! There main focus is generally insight for living, balancing your spiritual gowth/life with the realities of the environment we live in including the wisdom to do so!
i bet you that no church will perfectly meet all your expectations just ask God to lead you to the right one your spirit can fellowship in.
God bless

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Do Young People Dance Like Maddog In Club & Parties But Act Cool In Church? / The Skeleton Of Goliath Found...pics / Commercial Driver Prays As A Muslim, Christian And Traditionalist Before A Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.