Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,729 members, 7,831,325 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku (12581 Views)

FOREX Crisis: Raid On BDCs Ill-Advised, Wrongly-Directed - Peter Obi / Who Advised Atiku & PDP To Use Tafawa Balewa Square?...a Big Show Of Shame! / I Knew Umaru Yar’adua Was Ill - Obasanjo (Throwback Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by BeautifulSmiles: 3:00pm On Feb 18
onatisi:
atiku has been presenting credible economic plans for the nation for the past 15 years, but the fake stories obj peddled about him won't even allow people to hear him out or listen to him,
when he made mention of selling the refineries, many people APC started shouting that Atiku is a thief, balabu. Now Tinubu has spent about 3b repairing the refineries and they are still not working, now fg is contemplating selling the refineries, what a waste of public funds.

Which fake stories? Which of them is fake?

See how you want to defend a corrupt Nigerian politician, continue as much as your strength goes. grin
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Gajagojo: 3:07pm On Feb 18
onatisi:
atiku has been presenting credible economic plans for the nation for the past 15 years, but the fake stories obj peddled about him won't even allow people to hear him out or listen to him,
when he made mention of selling the refineries, many people APC started shouting that Atiku is a thief, balabu. Now Tinubu has spent about 3b repairing the refineries and they are still not working, now fg is contemplating selling the refineries, what a waste of public funds.

What credible plan is he presenting here?
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by seborrhic: 3:15pm On Feb 18
He made SOME sense.
I have said and will continue saying it,only a mentally retarded president will remove fuel subsidy and float the Naira at the same time.
In short floating the Naira alone would have caused enormous shocks in our economy for the reasons Atiku highlighted.If you now remove subsidy and at that same time completely float your currency,you should count yourself lucky to still be in office,be you an American,German,British or Chinese President,talkless that of Nigeria with our extreme poverty levels.
It's only a military regime that could even contemplate coming up with such a mad policy,but bet the next few days the military leaders bullet riddled bodies would be lying on the streets,paraded and celebrated.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by GeneralDae: 3:26pm On Feb 18
Nice2023:

I am not a foolish follower,the video are all there to see. He said and I quote,we will reduce the purchasing power of the people,and we can further slow down the economy and let us widen the tax net so and if its inclusive of Bola Tinubu and we shall take bigger and bigger taxes.

Culled from 11th Bola Tinubu colloquium.
Below is where he he said he does not believe in Nigeria.

In economics,when u reduce the purchasing power of the peoppe,what does it mean?

In the same economics,if u widen the tax net especially in a country that pays the lowest wage on the continent of Africa and the world at large,it means more poverty,hence the problem we are currently at now.

And to crown it all,coming from a man who told us in 1999 that he does not believe in Nigeria.

Oti kpari.
He didn't say that. Post the full video with your full chest if you get mind.
You crop 2 seconds of a video and come out with your own theories.

1 Like

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by onatisi(m): 3:28pm On Feb 18
GeneralDae:

If you don't repair the refineries, how do you get good price for it when you want to sell it?
Obj got a good deal for it from Dangote , sold it off . If Nigerians had allowed it to go ahead , by now we would have stopped fuel importation like 15 years ago

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Agbegbaorogboye: 3:30pm On Feb 18
Difrent:

Was surprised at the sound argument canvassed .
AA really serious this time around unlike in the past when he will just run to Dubai
This time around?
Even in 2019 he had far better ideas than Buhari.
You guys were just too soaked up in political sentiments to see beyond your nose

1 Like

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by onatisi(m): 3:32pm On Feb 18
atiku was the only presidential candidate who presented a well-articulated economic recovery plan, the only plan tinubu presented was employing 1 million Nigerians into the police force and feeding them with corn and cassava

Gajagojo:

What credible plan is he presenting here?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Ofunaofu: 3:33pm On Feb 18
Sangoamadioha1:
Now that is opposition. Atiku try for this one, not like that one that just whips up sentiments with useless mantra like 'consumption economy to production economy 😏

The most useless statement ever made by a newly sworn in president in the entire world is that "subsidy is gone" statement Tinubu made at his inauguration ground

3 Likes

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Nice2023(m): 3:35pm On Feb 18
[/b][b]
GeneralDae:

He didn't say that. Post the full video with your full chest if you get mind.
You crop 2 seconds of a video and come out with your own theories.

If u are smart and not a tribalist,u would know that I don't blab.

First of all argue against the newspaper one.

ThenGoogle out 11th Bola tinubu colloquium.

Then,u will see that stubbornness is the reason why u guys are serial tribalists.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by GeneralDae: 3:48pm On Feb 18
Nice2023:
[/b][b]

If u are smart and not a tribalist,u would know that I don't blab.

First of all argue against the newspaper one.

ThenGoogle out 11th Bola tinubu colloquium.

Then,u will see that stubbornness is the reason why u guys are serial tribalists.

I have watched the video and he didn't say that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Iamblessed85: 4:44pm On Feb 18
tsdarkside:
nigeria doesnt use dollars but nairas....

why concentrate on something that is not official currency of nigeria....
what is this guy talkin about....??

nigeria has no business defendin dollars in nigeria....

I keep saying this. For about a year now, i’ve not come across a dollar note in this country. I don’t have to and I don’t need it. I have been spending in naira. Who are those spending this dollar apart from importers?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Gajagojo: 4:55pm On Feb 18
onatisi:
atiku was the only presidential candidate who presented a well-articulated economic recovery plan, the only plan tinubu presented was employing 1 million Nigerians into the police force and feeding them with corn and cassava

Again? What plan is he articulating here on floating the Naira?

1 Like

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by GeneralDae: 5:16pm On Feb 18
Iamblessed85:

I keep saying this. For about a year now, i’ve not come across a dollar note in this country. I don’t have to and I don’t need it. I have been spending in naira. Who are those spending this dollar apart from importers?
Politicians. Your Governors with high FAAC allocations.

1 Like

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by blacknp(m): 5:22pm On Feb 18
Nice2023:

I am not a foolish follower,the video are all there to see. He said and I quote,we will reduce the purchasing power of the people,and we can further slow down the economy and let us widen the tax net so and if its inclusive of Bola Tinubu and we shall take bigger and bigger taxes.

Culled from 11th Bola Tinubu colloquium.
Below is where he he said he does not believe in Nigeria.

In economics,when u reduce the purchasing power of the peoppe,what does it mean?

In the same economics,if u widen the tax net especially in a country that pays the lowest wage on the continent of Africa and the world at large,it means more poverty,hence the problem we are currently at now.

And to crown it all,coming from a man who told us in 1999 that he does not believe in Nigeria.

Oti kpari.]
Statement made in 1997 under General Abacha is what you are referring to?

Nonsense incoherent hypocrite.

1 Like

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Nice2023(m): 5:32pm On Feb 18
blacknp:
Statement made in 1997 under General Abacha is what you are referring to?

Nonsense incoherent hypocrite.

Keep quiet.

It takes common sense for people to understand and internalised why things are bad today but hate and tribalism have blinded u such that tribal discrimination is the in thing for u.

Shameless man.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Iamblessed85: 5:35pm On Feb 18
GeneralDae:

Politicians. Your Governors with high FAAC allocations.

That means they are the problem then and not the common man. Someone once said anytime faac is shared, dollar rates go up

1 Like

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by hassana45502: 7:51pm On Feb 18
unfortunately Nigerians seem to be looking the other way expecting miracles.unfortunately Nigerians seem to be looking the other way expecting miracles....
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by alcuin(m): 7:56pm On Feb 18
The question is, where are the funds to continue subsidising or defending the naira?

2 Likes

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Gajagojo: 8:34pm On Feb 18
seborrhic:
He made SOME sense.
I have said and will continue saying it,only a mentally retarded president will remove fuel subsidy and float the Naira at the same time.
In short floating the Naira alone would have caused enormous shocks in our economy for the reasons Atiku highlighted.If you now remove subsidy and at that same time completely float your currency,you should count yourself lucky to still be in office,be you an American,German,British or Chinese President,talkless that of Nigeria with our extreme poverty levels.
It's only a military regime that could even contemplate coming up with such a mad policy,but bet the next few days the military leaders bullet riddled bodies would be lying on the streets,paraded and celebrated.

Emefiele was already operating a Managed float system
So what sense did he make

What would he do differently?
He is just taking to be contrary

Hear him

3. On the other hand, given Nigeria’s underlying economic conditions, adopting a floating exchange rate system would be an overkill. We would have encouraged the Central Bank of Nigeria to adopt a gradualist approach to FX management. A managed-floating system would have been a preferred option.

Hear Emefiele

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-23/nigeria-using-managed-foreign-exhange-regime-central-bank-says

The simple truth is in Nigeria anything other a free float that is transparent will lead to round tripping corruption. Like we saw under the So called managed float with Emefiele when Buhari s relatives were buying at official rate and making fantastic spreads

2 Likes

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Osidazz19: 10:21pm On Feb 18
Naira floating is what the best economists in the world advocated and it is what is practiced in the best and most advanced economies in the world.
It is good to allow your currency to find its natural level. In the long run, it will be better for Nigeria.
I know it's hard and it's affecting lots of people in the most negative way but these are growing pains that will pay off in the long run.
I sure hope that Tinubu does not listen to all these criticisms and then get scared and turn back the hands of reform.
He should stay the course and it will be good in the long run.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Ibime(m): 10:21pm On Feb 18
Atiku is a joker and saying nothing but agreeing with Tinubus policy. We are currently running a managed float, there is just not enough FX to 'manage" the float
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by searchlight: 10:29pm On Feb 18
Sangoamadioha1:
Now that is opposition. Atiku try for this one, not like that one that just whips up sentiments with useless mantra like 'consumption economy to production economy 😏
Focus on the disaster of your brother. Has your father eaten?
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by searchlight: 10:34pm On Feb 18
dawno2008:
I've always known him s a sound administrator,unlike one regional lord who knows less about Nigeria politics,now see where we are
The ZOO can never be great.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by agabusta: 10:37pm On Feb 18
Godfullsam:

Corruption can not fight corruption. Until we have a leader who can fight corruption head-on, we will just be beating around the bush.

The root cause of all our problems can be traced to corruption.

And that was why Buhari was voted for. Unfortunately, he could not achieve a lot in this regard.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by koxyz: 10:52pm On Feb 18
A
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Menclothing: 10:54pm On Feb 18
We need to be proactive as a nation
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by omohayek: 10:59pm On Feb 18
onatisi:
There was never any doubt in my mind that Atiku's plans were objectively the best of the three - he understands clearly that the Nigerian economy needs to be massively deregulated - but the question (at least as far as I was concerned) was the extent to which Atiku could be trusted to carry out his program in a fair and transparent manner, given his long record of using power to tilt deals in his own favor. That so many people harbored similar doubts as I did is no one's fault but Atiku's own, and Obasanjo's criticism of him wouldn't have stuck if there were no substance to the accusations.

In any case, Atiku's latest effort was doomed once Peter Obi announced his vanity candidacy using the LP as his latest vehicle of self-advancement, thereby taking 90% of the Igbo vote with him. Obi might as well have handed Tinubu the election on a platter, by dividing the anti-APC opposition.

Circling back to Atiku's latest statements, while I give him credit for actually making concrete proposals that can be scrutinised (unlike Obi, who sticks to worthless platitudes), the idea that Tinubu ever had the option of a managed float is pure fantasy, given how low the foreign reserves were (and still are), and how much of the FG's income was already going to debt service. Where exactly would the money to "manage" the float have come from?

The harsh reality is that any winner of the 2023 election would have been forced to make the same decisions at a similarly rapid rate, as the money simply wasn't there to keep going in the same old way. The only alternative to doing so would have been to print money at an even faster rate than Tinubu is currently doing, which would have led to inflation so high that a "mere" 30% annual rate would have seemed something to envy. The frustrating there here is that Atiku understands this quite well, but is happy to peddle lies to curry popularity with the masses. It's such dishonesty that makes it so hard for me to trust any promises Atiku makes.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by stanliwise(m): 11:01pm On Feb 18
ElSudani:
At least he came up with something. The Agulu messiah offers only empty rhetorics, no substance.
very shameless comment you’re making. This life sha
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by DeepSight(m): 11:01pm On Feb 18
APOPTOSIS:
I'm highly elated he floated it.
He should Float more.
Sometimes, some things are just blessing in disguise waiting to be tapped. He's fast creating more Billionaires

Only those who earn in dollars.

A devalued local currency will always be a disaster for the generality of people in any import dependent economy.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by DeepSight(m): 11:02pm On Feb 18
Godfullsam:

Corruption can not fight corruption. Until we have a leader who can fight corruption head-on, we will just be beating around the bush.

The root cause of all our problems can be traced to corruption.

Gbam!
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by stanliwise(m): 11:04pm On Feb 18
omohayek:

There was never any doubt in my mind that Atiku's plans were objectively the best of the three - he understands clearly that the Nigerian economy needs to be massively deregulated - but the question (at least as far as I was concerned) was the extent to which Atiku could be trusted to carry out his program in a fair and transparent manner, given his long record of using power to tilt deals in his own favor. That so many people harbored similar doubts as I did is no one's fault but Atiku's own, and Obasanjo's criticism of him wouldn't have stuck if there were no substance to the accusations.

In any case, Atiku's latest effort was doomed once Peter Obi announced his vanity candidacy using the LP as his latest vehicle of self-advancement, thereby taking 90% of the Igbo vote with him. Obi might as well have handed Tinubu the election on a platter, by dividing the anti-APC opposition.
very eloquent and polished write up here. Any idea on what can help this our devaluation?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Husband Won’t Be Distracted By Current Challenges – Oluremi Tinubu / P/Harcourt Refinery Will Kickstart Operations In Two Weeks – Mele Kyari / Americans Kidnapped Off Coast Of Nigeria!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.