Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,801 members, 7,820,804 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku (12548 Views)

FOREX Crisis: Raid On BDCs Ill-Advised, Wrongly-Directed - Peter Obi / Who Advised Atiku & PDP To Use Tafawa Balewa Square?...a Big Show Of Shame! / I Knew Umaru Yar’adua Was Ill - Obasanjo (Throwback Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by NAC1666: 1:16am On Feb 19
AllTheWayUp:

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/SWA5JsocUsPKyARE/?mibextid=Nif5oz
Tinubu took Hasty decision without giving it an Economist view

1 Like

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by DeepSight(m): 1:17am On Feb 19
IndexMode:

No, you're wrong

Before floating the naira, he should have worked on importation of capital goods like tractors, raw materials etc. and even stockpiled
That is the only way we can produce local products inspite of a weak naira.

Now, FG can't control price if they didn't provide/subsidize input. All those local alternatives you mentioned are also expensive.
Increasing minimum wage would cement inflation permanently and make naira worthless. All associations would also raise their charges subsequently I.e bricklayer, babrbers, transporters

He did not lay the foundation to become a productive economy first. His critics are right, execution is everything.

He must partially manage fx to keep this economy from collapsing meanwhile.

Gbam!
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by MT: 1:19am On Feb 19
DeepSight:

Thank you for at least admitting this. Maybe you are a good man who does not deserve to suffer. There is hope for you.

You are getting it all wrong, if the naira was not simultaneously floated, you will not be speaking of N1,500 per litre!

And listen, remember that GEJ tried to do this in 2012 - and it was not a complete removal - only a partial one. Do you remember the rage and protests led by this same Bola Tinubu? What is hypocrisy, tell me?

Now, when I say it should have been done in phases, that is the way it is done everywhere else in the world if you do not wish to fling your people into murderous hardship. Which is what has happened and what we are facing. This is no sensible way to run a country. No seasoned administrator will do things in such a reckless and thoughtless way.

Believe you me, for a sovereign economy such as Nigeria, there are always many creative options - which have been unexplored. Licenses of all kinds which the government has not even thought of regarding a vast array of solid minerals and new technology. It only takes creative and out of the box thinking which is lacking in government. Government still has tunnel vision focused on crude oil.

Government was not paying an actual subsidy for each dollar sold. And foreign investors were still in our very large market. If anything, more investors have exited since this govt came on board with its disastrous market shrinking polices. One thing this govt fails to understand is that when you reduce the purchasing power of the populace, the market becomes less attractive to any investor because consumers are poorer.

That was fraud.

Look at the bolded and read what i am about to type carefully.

Let us assume naira has not been floated now. And it is trading 700 naira to a dollar but meanwhile the true ratio of naira to dollar, as we can see now is 1dollar = 1500 naira.

Now if the importer wants to import, the importer will pay FG at the rate of 700 naira to a dollar , which means the FG will add 800 naira for each litre to make up the true value of the naira. It is still the same thing!

You think the importer is importing at 700 naira to a dollar, hell no!....they are actually importing at 1500 naira to a dollar with the FG borrowing money to add to the differential.

Tell me how does that pay us? It is a bubble

2 Likes

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Gajagojo: 1:21am On Feb 19
DeepSight:

You are not thinking straight. When you make a futures contract and fix a price at which it will hold, do you not do this to take advance earnings? Otherwise what will be the point in short cIhanging yourself? It is called exactly that because you sell your futures olodo, and of course you do so at a lower fixed price because of the time value of money.

Now what does that have to do with what I said re: the manner of subsidy removal?
Just keep quiet and stick to what you know
Commodities are sold on futures contracts to enable businesses plan and avoid shocks
All that twaddle you are writing is bluster aka shakara
You are out of your depth and should shut your mouth

E.g Bonny light for June 2024 Delivery is trading for $77.24 today
https://oilprice.com/futures/wti/
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by DeepSight(m): 1:22am On Feb 19
MT:

Look at the bolded and read what i am about to type carefully.

Let us assume naira has not been floated now. And it is trading 700 naira to a dollar but meanwhile the true ratio of naira to dollar, as we can see now is 1dollar = 1500 naira.

Now if the importer wants to import, the importer will pay FG at the rate of 700 naira to a dollar , which means the FG will add 800 naira for each litre to make up the true value of the naira. It is still the same thing!

You think the importer is importing at 700 naira to a dollar, hell no!....they are actually importing at 1500 naira to a dollar with the FG borrowing money to add to the differential.

Tell me how does that pay us? It is a bubble

The point is that the FG would not being paying any such differential if it hadnt floated the naira. Afterall, it hadnt been doing so previously. You cant just imagine "the true value of the naira" and say that the FG would be paying the differential on such an imaginary "true value" if it hasnt been floated and is still 700 naira.

Get it?
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by onuman: 1:23am On Feb 19
Atiku, the man, Tinubu, wouldn't have become president if you had not emerged and bought the presidential ticket of PDP in 2023 because of your distaste for possible emergence of a president from the SE region of Nigeria.
All your presidential election struggles have been for apex political leadership of Nigeria to remain in the hands of your Fulani ethnic group.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by DeepSight(m): 1:25am On Feb 19
Gajagojo:

Just keep quiet and stick to what you know
Commodities are sold on futures contracts to enable businesses plan and avoid shocks
All that twaddle you are writing is bluster aka shakara
You are out of your depth and should shut your mouth

Sharrap!

Tell me - when futures are sold - when is value taken for them - now, or in the future?
Obviously if value is taken in the future that entirely nonsensifies the meaning of futures.

You take value on future flows today, not in the future - otherwise they are not future flows.

I have told you that you are an illiterate. Accept it. Illiterates are still human beings. So you are still human. Don't cry, accept who you are. Its not your fault you could not be sent to school. Life happens
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by MT: 1:26am On Feb 19
DeepSight:

The point is that the FG would not being paying any such differential if it hadnt floated the naira. Afterall, it hadnt been doing so previously. You cant just imagine "the true value of the naira" and say that the FG would be paying the differential on such an imaginary "true value" if it hasnt been floated and is still 700 naira.

Get it?

Now we are getting somewhere.

The FG has various tools to determine the true value of the naira to a dollar. They will know it is 1500 naira to a dollar even if naira has not been floated, they always know the differential to pay. They always benchmark dollars to a realistic value, otherwise what you are saying is Nigeria can sell a dollar for 100 naira since Naira has not been floated,.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Gajagojo: 1:28am On Feb 19
DeepSight:

Sharrap!

Tell me - when futures are sold - when is value taken for them - now, or in the future?
Obviously if value is taken in the future that entirely nonsensifies the meaning of futures.

You take value on future flows today, not in the future - otherwise they are not future flows.

I have told you that you are an illiterate. Accept it. Illiterates are still human beings. So you are still human. Don't cry, accept who you are. Its not your fault you could not be sent to school. Life happens
You are an empty noise maker
Bonny light is quoted there way into the future
$68.37 is the price for May 2026
All these bluster is to cover your shame we can see through you
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by DeepSight(m): 1:29am On Feb 19
MT:

Now we are getting somewhere.

The FG has various tools to determine the true value of the naira to a dollar. They will know it is 1500 naira to a dollar even if naira has not been floated, they always know the differential to pay. They always benchmark dollars to a realistic value

What you are suggesting is that prior to the floatation the FG had been paying subsidy with N1500 as the true value of the dollar in its mind. This is not only not the case, it is ridiculous.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by DeepSight(m): 1:30am On Feb 19
Gajagojo:

You are an empty noise maker
Bonny light is quoted there way into the future

All these bluster is to cover your shame we can see through you

I said, when does one take value for it, olodo?
If it is that English is over your head, let me translate it - when does one get paid?
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by MT: 1:31am On Feb 19
DeepSight:

What you are suggesting is that prior to the floatation the FG had been paying subsidy with N1500 as the true value of the dollar in its mind. This is not only not the case, it is ridiculous.

No. The benchmark of a dollar to naira is fluid and determined by various tools.

It fluctuates but currently it is 1USD = 1500 naira.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by DeepSight(m): 1:32am On Feb 19
MT:

No. The benchmark of a dollar to naira is fluid and determined by various tools.

It fluctuates but currently it is 1USD = 1500 naira.

Exactly, so when it was not yet N1, 500 to the dollar, the FG would not have been paying such a differential. It would have been paying the differential which tallied with the exchange rate at the time.

Capisce?
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by MT: 1:35am On Feb 19
DeepSight:

Exactly, so when it was not yet N1, 500 to the dollar, the FG would not have been paying such a differential. It would have been paying the differential which tallied with the exchange rate at the time.

Capisce?

Yes you are correct but that differential accumulates to a lot of money which Nigeria can not bear.

So they result to borrowing with high interest rates, which the nation continues to service.

Now, it has become a burden. Nigeria cannot continue along that path.

Sanusi Lamido has been shouting about this. Even Iweala said Jonathan lacked the political will to save for rainy days.

This is the end results.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by DeepSight(m): 1:37am On Feb 19
MT:

Yes you are correct but that differential accumulates to a lot of money which Nigeria can not bear.

So they result to borrowing with high interest rates, which the nation continues to service.

Now, it has become a burden. Nigeria cannot continue along that path.

Sanusi Lamido has been shouting about this. Even Iweala said Jonathan lacked the political will to save for rainy days.

This is the end results.

Well we can agree the country has been very badly managed. Pleasure speaking with you.
Good night.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by MT: 1:39am On Feb 19
DeepSight:

Well we can agree the country has been very badly managed. Pleasure speaking with you.
Good night.

Agreed.

Rest well
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Sannisege: 1:51am On Feb 19
Gajagojo:

You Are being funny

Without. supporting Tinubu Atiku is being clever by half

A MANAGED FLOATING SYSTEM is exactly what Emefiele was operating

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-23/nigeria-using-managed-foreign-exhange-regime-central-bank-says

It is clear that Atiku has nothing new to offer
He is contradicting himself

With regard to opposition. He is deceiving himself and desperately trying to stay relevant
He is finished in PDP
I disagree with you boss. The first part of statement stated that Atiku is not in support of “managed” fx system. But the later part of the statement highlighted how to manage the floating of the naira. However, I do not support Atiku because he is partly responsible for the crisis we have today having sold our national assets to himself and cronies.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Gajagojo: 2:03am On Feb 19
Sannisege:
I disagree with you boss. The first part of statement stated that Atiku is not in support of “managed” fx system. But the later part of the statement highlighted how to manage the floating of the naira. However, I do not support Atiku because he is partly responsible for the crisis we have today having sold our national assets to himself and cronies.
Not sure what you are disagreeing with.
Can you clarify?
The following are the words attributed to Atiku

"A managed-floating system would have been a preferred option. "
I am struggling to get your point

What is your point exactly?
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by MasterTeeUSA: 2:18am On Feb 19
CBN will manage floats daily...how will that restore confidence in investors...when that might take years to get to a uniform Forex market. It is best to suffer now magally...then begin to enjoy...the President has 4yrs...if the 1st year is terrible and stabilizes by Year 2....Year 3 and 4 will be amazing and that is how to govern. I hate abandoned projects ...set goals you can complete within your terms and create templates for others...but don't start something and force the person taking over to complete them including bad contracts.

AllTheWayUp:

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by tsdarkside(m): 2:42am On Feb 19
ezegenigbonine:

My brother, Nigeria uses dollars a lot. We are not producing anything, so we virtually import everything. The phone you are using to type whatever you are typing was imported by exchange of naira to the dollar. Likewise almost everything you are using in your house. This country is so useless that we even import toothpick

then it has to stop.it will do nigeria no good....

you dont earn in dollars in nigeria you wan use dollars in nigeria....??
how is that gonna work....??

you want a nigeria only for rich people....??

toothpick is a stvpid excuss....you have chewin sticks that black people have been usin for centuries....
you dont have to reinvent the wheel for things to work in nigeria....

most of the things you want from abroad is already available in nigeria....it just look different....
whats the difference between a agege bread stuffed with akara and european sandwich....??

its all the same thing....
na longthroat nahim dey worry una....

1 Like

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Pjoe238: 6:07am On Feb 19
So, you are waiting for the opposition to tell your drvglord how to rule. Builder of Lagos indeed. he forget his building materials at Alausa
ElSudani:
At least he came up with something. The Agulu messiah offers only empty rhetorics, no substance.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by chrisdolly(m): 6:41am On Feb 19
I love your comment and it shows you're not blinded by hate.

What Tinubu administration has done already is still what AA is talking about but in his case, he said the FX should still be seldomly patched as against total floating done by the present administration. AA indeed knows the consequences of government patching the FX market after floating it, you need to support it with atleast $1.5m or so every month which is not realistic.

The best bet is for us to allow these policies being implemented by the Cardoso led CBN to yield result in the long run. We are going through a phase of life that is very difficult but surmountable, we will enjoy in due course and AA knows this. Ire ooo

APOPTOSIS:
I'm highly elated he floated it.
He should Float more.
Sometimes, some things are just blessing in disguise waiting to be tapped. He's fast creating more Billionaires
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Brushstrokes20: 6:43am On Feb 19
Spot on👏👏👏👏
eBOLA is all shades of disasters, blunders, nuisance and redundance 💯
El druggie has only come to STEAL, KILL AND DESTROY 💯💯
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Johnjustice: 6:48am On Feb 19
I agree with atiku on this, this naira floating is a bad decision at this time. Naira can't compete with dollars, if you want to float naira, at least strengthen it first, by selling crude and exports in naira, by reducing need for dollars to import etc...I wonder why all the technocrats and well read people he appointed don't know this.

Tinubu should rescind this decision to float naira, if a policy is not favorable you change it.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by Timmi: 7:12am On Feb 19
AllTheWayUp:

Posting on X, Omokri wrote: “You come on the Internet with MTN. You are wearing a $250 human hair wig that was sacrificed in an Indian temple and then shipped to Nigeria as ‘Brazilian’ hair, your clothes come from Italy, your shoes from Spain, and you had Quaker oats from England for breakfast, with eggs from South Africa, which you ate while watching DSTV also from South Africa, and you are heaping curses on Bola Tinubu over the state of the Naira?

“You are the problem with the Naira. You, with your MTN data. High Dollar kpa e mbe! If you are not producing locally or consuming locally and you come to social media to complain, then you don’t yet understand that the Naira has been floated. If you like throw tantrums from now until 2027, the dollar will not come down until you start consuming made-in-Nigeria goods and services.

“If your money is not circulating in made-in-Nigital goods and services, no power on Earth can make your Naira circulate with higher purchasing power. This is about economics. This is not propaganda. Drive with Innoson, Call with Glo, Build with Dangote, Eat with Nasco.”
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by frog12: 7:33am On Feb 19
Atiku doesn't understand it. He is playing to the gallery
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by GeneralDae: 7:34am On Feb 19
Gajagojo:

That is an assumption
So why is the price of diesel 1300 and the price of PMS 600?
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by cmikel: 7:40am On Feb 19
THEM SAY NA STATISTICS WE GO CHOP? TO SPIE OBI BUT NOW

THAT'S WHY THEY ARE OFFERING BAD GOVERNANCE

THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO LOOK AT COUNTIES WITH POPULATION AND CAPACITY LIKE OURS WHO FLOATED THEIR CURRENCY AND LOOK AT OUTCOMES OF THEIR DATA. BUT INSTEAD THEY ARE THINKING MANAGING A COUNTRY LIKE A STATE WERE YOU CAN HAVE CONTROL OF EVERY TOM DYK AND HARRY OF THE STATE AND TWEEK IT THE WAY YOU WANTED.

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by PARADIZEPRIEST: 7:46am On Feb 19
You have no dollar reserve to defend naira from buha8wasted years
President TinubuGovt floated naira to desrupt speculators among bdcs,e dey pain you? If not naira for sumasault reach N3000.
Una no know econs? This one wey no get school cert dey blame experts ni?
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by cjudy(m): 8:20am On Feb 19
dawno2008:
I've always known him s a sound administrator,unlike one regional lord who knows less about Nigeria politics,now see where we are

Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by onatisi(m): 8:35am On Feb 19
thanks a lot for your insightful and balanced response ,

omohayek:

There was never any doubt in my mind that Atiku's plans were objectively the best of the three - he understands clearly that the Nigerian economy needs to be massively deregulated - but the question (at least as far as I was concerned) was the extent to which Atiku could be trusted to carry out his program in a fair and transparent manner, given his long record of using power to tilt deals in his own favor. That so many people harbored similar doubts as I did is no one's fault but Atiku's own, and Obasanjo's criticism of him wouldn't have stuck if there were no substance to the accusations.

In any case, Atiku's latest effort was doomed once Peter Obi announced his vanity candidacy using the LP as his latest vehicle of self-advancement, thereby taking 90% of the Igbo vote with him. Obi might as well have handed Tinubu the election on a platter, by dividing the anti-APC opposition.

Circling back to Atiku's latest statements, while I give him credit for actually making concrete proposals that can be scrutinised (unlike Obi, who sticks to worthless platitudes), the idea that Tinubu ever had the option of a managed float is pure fantasy, given how low the foreign reserves were (and still are), and how much of the FG's income was already going to debt service. Where exactly would the money to "manage" the float have come from?

The harsh reality is that any winner of the 2023 election would have been forced to make the same decisions at a similarly rapid rate, as the money simply wasn't there to keep going in the same old way. The only alternative to doing so would have been to print money at an even faster rate than Tinubu is currently doing, which would have led to inflation so high that a "mere" 30% annual rate would have seemed something to envy. The frustrating there here is that Atiku understands this quite well, but is happy to peddle lies to curry popularity with the masses. It's such dishonesty that makes it so hard for me to trust any promises Atiku makes.
Re: Naira Floating by Tinubu was Ill-advised-Atiku by ezegenigbonine: 8:37am On Feb 19
tsdarkside:

then it has to stop.it will do nigeria no good....

you dont earn in dollars in nigeria you wan use dollars in nigeria....??
how is that gonna work....??

you want a nigeria only for rich people....??

toothpick is a stvpid excuss....you have chewin sticks that black people have been usin for centuries....
you dont have to reinvent the wheel for things to work in nigeria....

most of the things you want from abroad is already available in nigeria....it just look different....
whats the difference between a agege bread stuffed with akara and european sandwich....??

its all the same thing....
na longthroat nahim dey worry una....

What of your electronics gadgets, like that phone you are using? Is it already in nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bandits Block Gusau-Sokoto Highway, Kidnap 26 Travellers / Boko-Haram Planning Fresh Attacks – JTF / Judiciary Workers Shut Down Supreme Court As Indefinite Strike Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.