Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,115 members, 7,818,323 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos (2430 Views)

Facts Between Yorubas And Igbos / Different People In One Language: A Case Of The Yorubas, Ibos And Hausas / Why Is There Hatred Between Yorubas & Igbos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by ShoeGetSize: 3:49pm On Feb 18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSib-OktNvI?si=RlILaWbT5ZhDtQu0

Hello again. I have read with a great deal of amusement what is being described as industrial levels of cheating and fraud among Nigerian nurses in this country.

The matter is essentially very
simple. Before nurses from Nigeria can come to Britain and work for the
National Health Service, they have to pass a test in numeracy and clinical
competence which is known as the NMC Eligibility Assessment before applying to the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).

This is a computer-based test which they sit in their own country, but in this case, inevitably hundreds of these Nigerian candidates sent somebody else to sit for the test on their behalf in the city of Ibadan.
I need hardly tell viewers that Ibadan is a Yoruba city which really tells us all we need to know.

Perhaps we should ask ourselves why
it is that when a cheating scandal like
this erupts it is seldom in countries
like Tanzania, Uganda or Ghana?
Always it is Nigeria and always it involves Yorubas rather than say Igbos or Fulani? What is it about the Yorubas?

In the late 1980s I worked for an organization which provided residential
care for non-verbal adults with learning disabilities. The one thing which anybody working there soon realized was that the Nigerian staff of whom there were many, were less reliable and trustworthy than other folk.

Some of them supposedly had degrees in things like biochemistry but although their English was fluent you would only need to have a brief conversation to discover that they were lamentably ignorant about both biology and chemistry. It was plain to everyone that they didn't really have degrees in Biochemistry at all.

These people were by the way all Yorubas.

It was also a matter of common observation that they all had at least two other names. You would meet a man called say Adeyemo and then somebody would ring asking for Ezekiel and it would turn out that it was the same man. One name was his tribal name and the other his baptismal
name. Then a couple of weeks later you'd find out that some people also knew him as Peter.

I'm guessing that those who have worked with many Nigerians would have
encountered this same business of
mysteriously changing
names.

Sometimes it was clearly for
dishonest intent but at other times it just seemed to be part of a lifestyle and you were never entirely clear about who
you were actually dealing with.

Qualifications and references were the same with variations of names different
names, different spellings, names arranged in different orders. Sometimes a Nigerian would present a certificate with Yetunde Olusanya and at other times the very same certificate would be Olusanya Yetunde. There was always doubt about
identity you see.

Then there was what turned into a scandal at a place called Alice Hoffman Homes where I was working, which was
that people were turning up for night shifts who were certainly not the people actually employed under that name

This worked well for a while for them because the managers of the home sometimes weren't there when night workers turned up and the day staff didn't particularly know who was supposed to be working on night shifts.

It was eventually discovered that people were sending their cousins to cover shifts and that these people answered to the name of the genuine night shifts and even signed in with their name.

I have an idea that anybody who has ever had a job which entails coming into
contact with a lot of Yorubas will understand just what I'm talking about here. This is exactly what was
going on in Ibadan where those taking the nursing test and have been sending along somebody else to sit for the exam who can actually pass the test.

Of course exactly the same scam is worked in this country by Nigerians taking driving tests.

In the description to this video I also give a link to a news item from last year about a woman called Olujumoke Ajadi yet another Yoruba who was making a good living out of sitting for exams for other people in the UK.

This is not at all uncommon by
the way. I don't know at all why this should be such a thing with Yorubas

You don't see it happening with the Ashantis or Twi people from just along the coast in Ghana and nor will you find Ibos up to this kind of game.

It is always Yorubas, which I very strange.

When I worked and lived in a part of London called Hackney I had a lot of dealings with Ibos.

I used to go for Ibo evening
classes at one time for reasons which I won't go into now, but I had quite a few
connections there which of course is how I met Colonel Ojukwu who used to be the leader of biafra. He lived in Hackney which is where he ended up after the Civil War.

But Ibos are quite a different thing entirely from Yorubas.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by budaatum: 4:37pm On Feb 18

2 Likes

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by Ofodirinwa: 4:51pm On Feb 18
low self esteem makes you listen to this guy

9 Likes

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by Topman7: 4:56pm On Feb 18
ShoeGetSize:

Hello again. I have read with a great deal of amusement what is being described as industrial levels of cheating and fraud among Nigerian nurses in this country.

competence which is known as the NMC Eligibility Assessment before applying to the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).

This is a computer-based test which they sit in their own country, but in this case, inevitably hundreds of these Nigerian candidates sent somebody else to sit for the test on their behalf in the city of Ibadan.
I need hardly tell viewers that Ibadan is a Yoruba city which really tells us all we need to know.

Always it is Nigeria and always it involves Yorubas rather than say Igbos or Fulani? What is it about the Yorubas?

care for non-verbal adults with learning disabilities. The one thing which anybody working there soon realized was that the Nigerian staff of whom there were many, were less reliable and trustworthy than other folk.

Some of them supposedly had degrees in things like biochemistry but although their English was fluent you would only need to have a brief conversation to discover that they were lamentably ignorant about both biology and chemistry. It was plain to everyone that they didn't really have degrees in Biochemistry at all.

It was also a matter of common observation that they all had at least two other names. You would meet a man called say Adeyemo and then somebody would ring asking for Ezekiel and it would turn out that it was the same man. One name was his tribal name and the other his baptismal
name. Then a couple of weeks later you'd find out that some people also knew him as Peter.

mysteriously changing
names.

dishonest intent but at other times it just seemed to be part of a lifestyle and you were never entirely clear about who

names, different spellings, names arranged in different orders. Sometimes a Nigerian would present a certificate with Yetunde Olusanya and at other times the very same certificate would be Olusanya Yetunde. There was always doubt about
identity you see.

Then there was what turned into a scandal at a place called Alice Hoffman Homes where I was working, which was
that people were turning up for night shifts who were certainly not the people actually employed under that name

This worked well for a while for them because the managers of the home sometimes weren't there when night workers turned up and the day staff didn't particularly know who was supposed to be working on night shifts.

It was eventually discovered that people were sending their cousins to cover shifts and that these people answered to the name of the genuine night shifts and even signed in with their name.

contact with a lot of Yorubas will understand just what I'm talking about here. This is exactly what was
going on in Ibadan where those taking the nursing test and have been sending along somebody else to sit for the exam who can actually pass the test.

Of course exactly the same scam is worked in this country by Nigerians taking driving tests.

In the description to this video I also give a link to a news item from last year about a woman called Olujumoke Ajadi yet another Yoruba who was making a good living out of sitting for exams for other people in the UK.

You don't see it happening with the Ashantis or Twi people from just along the coast in Ghana and nor will you find Ibos up to this kind of game.

When I worked and lived in a part of London called Hackney I had a lot of dealings with Ibos.

classes at one time for reasons which I won't go into now, but I had quite a few
connections there which of course is how I met Colonel Ojukwu who used to be the leader of biafra. He lived in Hackney which is where he ended up after the Civil War.

OP get rid of your inferiority complex.

There is no reason to post this idiot’s opinion.

His being a so-called white man does not make his opinion more valid than that of an orange seller in Mushin.

Next!

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by Nice2023(m): 5:00pm On Feb 18
Same thing is happening in Most offices in Nigeria.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by Chimarto: 5:04pm On Feb 18
This is coming from there oyibo master, they should avoid Igbos here.

5 Likes

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by dawno2008(m): 5:07pm On Feb 18
Low self esteem,even shame is ashamed of you,this your bigotry is on another level of stupidity.
I can't even equate you to an animal,cos animals in their kingdom still do have some reasoning capabilities,but you don't have any.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by Sirianese: 5:08pm On Feb 18
ShoeGetSize:

mysteriously changing
names.

identity you see.

I guess he's yet to learn about international trafficking of narcotics

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by MMWandali: 5:21pm On Feb 18
No comment
Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by ShoeGetSize: 5:29pm On Feb 18
Where or when did I say that I agreed with him? He has a right to his opinion which is based on decades of interaction with Nigerians from different ethnic and religious walks of life.

As an outsider who has no personal ties to Nigeria, it's interesting to know what he has to say from a neutral man's perspective.

Topman7:

OP get rid of your inferiority complex.

There is no reason to post this idiot’s opinion.

His being a so-called white man does not make his opinion more valid than that of an orange seller in Mushin.

Next!

2 Likes

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by TruthHurts1(m): 5:30pm On Feb 18
Most people opened this thread seeking to have their biases confirmed and they left in annoyance🤣

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by UncleAyo: 5:42pm On Feb 18
g

1 Like

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by paramakina202: 5:56pm On Feb 18
The same reason why they have ran the country to the ground with their fraud.
Fear people who choose to support a character like Tinubu to become president of this country.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by Rahkman: 5:58pm On Feb 18
The way this people don spoil uk ehn .....them full everywhere engaging in different froms of fraud and crime dem don do crime soteey UK metro don yoruba lingua into must learn languages

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by NairalandForumo: 5:59pm On Feb 18
You see how it hurts when you single out a tribe to castigate based on a foreigner's observation, but the same Yoruba's on nairaland who posted a video of an Asian police officer interrogating an Igbo boy caught for trafficking and talking about Igbos in the video where busy insulting Igbos.

Some were even praising the police officer for doing it, and a most likely tribalistic mod took the video to front page, now the table has turned and they are insulting the foreigner saying this....

The truth is every tribe has good and bad people.....

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by Goodvibes007: 6:01pm On Feb 18
Fergie01 mynd44 seun. Come and take a look at this tribal thread.

I thought you guys said you were cleaning up Nairaland..

This thread is an invitation to bring tribalists/tribalism back to Nairaland.
Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by adamusuleiman2: 6:05pm On Feb 18
budaatum:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/14/nhs-nurses-being-investigated-for-industrial-scale-qualifications

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-wore-wig-disguise-took-29587655

Claiming this is a Nigerian thing or specific to Yoruba is like saying something antisemitic against Israelites.
I just checked the man's YouTube account. He is a white supremacists. People are now bringing racist trash white people content to post on here.

https://m.youtube.com/@HistoryDebunkedsimonwebb/videos

As expected, the comment section of that video is full of bigots shitting on Nigeria and black people in general.

The man said he was colonel Ojukwu's friend at the 5.32 mark. Hatred transfered. No suprise here. The man is biased.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by ShoeGetSize: 6:34pm On Feb 18
Simon Webb has written several history books and he is a widely travelled man.
He has even spoken up for the rights of Pakistani immigrants to the United Kingdom.
It's rather odd to refer to someone like that as a white supremacist.

adamusuleiman2:

I just checked the man's YouTube account. He is a white supremacists. People are now bringing racist trash white people content to post on here.

As expected, the comment section of that video is full of bigots shitting on Nigeria and black people in general.

The man said he was colonel Ojukwu's friend at the 5.32 mark. Hatred transfered. No suprise here. The man is biased.

3 Likes

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by NairalandForumo: 6:54pm On Feb 18
Goodvibes007:
Fergie01 mynd44 seun. Come and take a look at this tribal thread.

I thought you guys said you were cleaning up Nairaland..

This thread is an invitation to bring tribalists/tribalism back to Nairaland.

You want them to delete it, you have forgotten so soon when a video was made about Igbos, one of your person has even posted the video up here to insult Igbos, guess what? That thread was moved to front page for the whole world to see with a lot of your people insulting Igbos....

1 Like

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by franchasofficia: 7:29pm On Feb 18
Yorubas are known for identity fraud, document forgery, wire fraud, accounting fraud, procurement fraud and anything paper fraud.

Due to economic hardship on Igbos resulting from the aftermath of the Nigeria-Biafra civil war, Igbos were pushed into crime, mostly drug trafficking crime abroad because they still preferred anything that has to do with buying and selling more than identity fraud and paper fraud which Yorubas are the masters in Nigeria.

Due to Yorubas widely known fraud in UK, British government made Yoruba dialect almost an official language in UK, and it's also a lingua franca in some parts of the UK, which British authority did so it will be easy to catch Yoruba scammers and to decode their identity frauds and office frauds perpetrated using Yoruba dialect

3 Likes

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by Osoboshi: 7:39pm On Feb 18
Seun,mynd 44 thought you guys were cleaning up nairaland

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by BiafranPatriot: 7:53pm On Feb 18
Dem dey cry blood grin
Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by KillingJoke: 8:06pm On Feb 18
Niggers will be niggers

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by Putinofrussia: 8:06pm On Feb 18
franchasofficia:
Yorubas are known for identity fraud, document forgery, wire fraud, accounting fraud, procurement fraud and anything paper fraud.

Due to economic hardship on Igbos resulting from the aftermath of the Nigeria-Biafra civil war, Igbos are mostly into drug trafficking crime abroad because they still prefer anything that has to do with buying and selling more than identity fraud and paper fraud which Yorubas are the masters in Nigeria.

Due to Yoruba widely acclaimed fraud in UK, British government made Yoruba dialect almost a lingua franca in UK so it will be easy to catch Yoruba scammers
All tribes have criminals amongst them,only that Igbos are topnotch in the crime thing more than any Nigerian.
Okay,who are the FBI-80 who were fraudsters?
And if one is to look at Nigerians in prisons abroad,Igbos will be 70%.

1 Like

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by Divystores: 8:48pm On Feb 18
firstly, we're humans and we are all different from each other...
Our ideology and characters are different but calling out a tribe just to speak negative about all of them is very bad...

There are good and also bad tomatoes ... I have good Yoruba friends...
Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by paramakina202: 8:51pm On Feb 18
accordadoga24:

Hehehe

You endangered species have started.

Na seun dey Protect una, we for don put all of una for una place.

Ndi cocaine pushers known worldwide for drug trafficking

Armed robbery, one-chanve robbery, kidnapping na una trade

90% of your population dey asian prisons

Face the Birtish man who is accusing Yoruba people of fraud not me.

1 Like

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by 1Sharon(f): 9:21pm On Feb 18
ShoeGetSize:
Simon Webb has written several history books and he is a widely travelled man.
He has even spoken up for the rights of Pakistani immigrants to the United Kingdom.
It's rather odd to refer to someone like that as a white supremacist.

He has a strange liking for Jews and Islam.

I'm interested in reading his books on white slaves sha. It's history that isn't spoken about.

2 Likes

Re: 80 Yr Old British Historian Explains Differences Between Yorubas & Ibos by budaatum: 11:01pm On Feb 18
adamusuleiman2:

I was hoping someone would do the research you did, and I'm glad you bothered.

Anyone in UK would know these sort of crimes are not unique to Nigerians.

(1) (2) (Reply)

" : Out Of Many We Are Truly One : " / Yar'adua Wants To Jail Obasanjo - El Rufai / Is Development All About Personal Wealth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.