Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

The NTA Did Not Ask General Gowon To Speak In Hausa - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The NTA Did Not Ask General Gowon To Speak In Hausa (17442 Views)

Happy 89th Birthday To General Gowon. See This 50-Year Throwback Newspaper / Who Noticed What NTA Did While Gov. Wike Was Speaking At Etche LGA / General Gowon Sitting And Eating On The Floor In Benin In 1967 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Re: The NTA Did Not Ask General Gowon To Speak In Hausa by JackBizzle: 6:40am On Feb 24
Ishilove:
Is it that comprehension has become a problem with the average Nigerian, going by the comments on the first page? I read the OP and the explanation was very clear, so I am scratching my head at the comments. People no longer read to understand; their brains seem to filter out common sense. They now read to reaffirm their already preconceived notions on a subject, and when what they reading doesn't conform to those notions, they start typing rubbish.

Ishilove, my new year's resolution is to be speaking less this year.

Naptu2 is an intelligent man but he likes posting too much as if he knows everything. The unbiased omniscient storyteller.

He finally made a front page fool of himself.

By the way, I am enjoying your numerous e-battles.
Re: The NTA Did Not Ask General Gowon To Speak In Hausa by naptu2: 8:49am On Feb 24
Ishilove:
Is it that comprehension has become a problem with the average Nigerian, going by the comments on the first page? I read the OP and the explanation was very clear, so I am scratching my head at the comments. People no longer read to understand; their brains seem to filter out common sense. They now read to reaffirm their already preconceived notions on a subject, and when what they reading doesn't conform to those notions, they start typing rubbish.

cheesy

Ishilove! Ishilove! Ishilove!

I'm surprised! Did you really expect anything sensible from them? I didn't.

I created this thread for 3 main reasons.

1) To set the record straight for sensible people. That's easy to do because the facts speak for themselves.

2) To laugh at people that are desperately trying to spin a narrative, even though there's no substance in that narrative.

3) To catch trolls.

As I said, the facts speak for themselves and are incontrovertible. People that try to contradict the facts will only be mocking themselves.

1) They said that the NTA tried to force General Gowon to speak Hausa. It is obvious that it was Ecowas that asked him to speak Hausa and no sensible person can argue about this fact.

2) This is the funniest claim. They said that General Gowon can't speak Hausa because he is not Hausa and so it was wrong to ask him to speak Hausa. Even a child in primary school knows that you don't have to be Hausa to speak Hausa. In fact I posted a clip of General Gowon speaking Hausa in a BBC Hausa interview many years ago.

3) They said that General Gowon did not want to speak Hausa because he did not want to speak the language of the people that were killing his people. That's so much nonsense.

General Gowon actually spoke Hausa right there at that event. One of the people that asked him to translate the letter spoke to him in Hausa and he responded in Hausa.

General Gowon explained why he didn't want to translate the letter. He said that he only spoke English for the past 8 or 9 years and he has forgotten how to speak Hausa perfectly. He said that it would have been OK if he was just conversing with them, they would accept any mistake he makes, but for such an important letter and such an important broadcast that was going out across West Africa, his Hausa wasn't good enough.

4) When they tried all arguments and failed, they started grasping at straws. They asked why the NTA ended the live telecast.

What is the big deal if the NTA ended the telecast? This was not an NTA programme, it was an Ecowas world press conference! The NTA is not the only media house in West Africa. The press conference was covered by media houses from across West Africa (you should see the number of journalists and cameramen in the room), so once again, what is the big deal if the NTA ended its live telecast?

5) They cooked up some nonsense story about northern domination, a story that has no facts except the fantasy in their heads. Hausa is the most spoken language in West Africa. It is the most spoke language in Niger (one of the countries that wants to break away), it is spoken in Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana and even in non-West African countries like Cameroon, Sudan and Chad. General Gowon also speaks Hausa and this is why Ecowas asked him to speak it.

6) They also insinuated that General Gowon was angry, but you can see him in the video for yourself . Was he angry?

Anyone that tries to contradict the facts above will simply be making a mockery of himself. As for the trolls, those are for the mods to handle.

The other joke is that the thread represents something that Gowon mentioned in the video about his visit to Aso Rock. That is, fake news.

They lied that he was dead, they lied that he didn't want to do the press conference and now they are lying about the actual press conference.

So this thread was created for my entertainment and it expired when the Super Falcons match began.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

INEC Rejects Sani Bello, Mamman As Chairman, Secretary Of APC CECPC / Why I Want To Be Senate President – Ndume / Fayose Withdraw His Membership Of PDP Zoning Committe Over Presidential Ambition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.