Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,180 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel (52967 Views)

Bride-to-be, Hajara Dies A Day To Her Wedding In Nasarawa State (Photos) / Woman Who Tested Negative For Coronavirus In Enugu Dies A Day After / UNIPORT Fresh Graduate Dies Of Brain Tumor (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by egojeny1(f): 1:11pm On Feb 24
Chai, what kind of sad news is this? This used to be my hospital, and a very good one at that. What could have gone wrong?

RIP beautiful one. So so sad
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by wonyi: 1:12pm On Feb 24
Hysteroscopy is a minor procedure. I had it 9 years ago without ab anesthesia . Maximum 30 minutes you are done. There's actually a monitor to check the blood pressure of patients and how the patient is responding to the pain.

Moreover the tube and camera is passed through the vagina no business with the throat. How did the doctor rupture her vessel?

If only they had a camera. Although far back 2015, the paragon at rumuokrusi administered an injection that killed the foetus of a friend and led to her miscarriage. No explanation. Even the nurse disappeared and refused to display the injection that administered. A pregnant woman that was supposed to be saved ,lost her baby and no compassion.

7 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by regenerateman(m): 1:14pm On Feb 24
May God console the family of Sekidika. This is very painful and devastating. The man would feel guilty for allowing the daughter to run the test in in Nigeria.
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Thegamingorca(m): 1:19pm On Feb 24
miracle4:
The family of Rebecca Sekidika, a 24-year-old first-class graduate of Benson Idahosa University, who died on February 2 after a routine checkup at Paragon Clinics and Imaging Diagnostics in Port Harcourt suspects medical negligent after an overdose of spinal anesthesia led to her untimely death.

This is bad

Sources: thenation, punchng, and bnnbreaking

This is really bad
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by fabolouz1(m): 1:21pm On Feb 24
In as much as it's painful , some of these things aren't ordinary.

2 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by RevenuesBoost(f): 1:21pm On Feb 24
What's this now!

I see why our politicians go out of the country for treatment.

This is how my 21 year old cousin died last week because no oxygen in General Hospital Lagos.
They were looking for oxygen up and down.
God will help Nigeria.

They saw a customer they didn't want to let go, so they did rub**sh on somebody's daughter.

Very sad!!!

May her soul rest in peace and grant her family the strength to bear the loss.

3 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by tosyne2much(m): 1:23pm On Feb 24
I'm so particular about some comments here

Like things also don't go out of hand abroad or people over there can't be agile now and the next minute they're gone ?

3 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Thegamingorca(m): 1:23pm On Feb 24
matify83:
This is a tragic case indeed and I commiserate with the family on this heartfelt painful loss.

Before I open up my line of argument while not holding brief for the hospital, I want all of us to recollect that sometime in October 2005, we lost our first lady [on table] from complications of cosmetic surgery in far away Spain.

Also, Our popular actor RMD lost his first wife MEE [on table] from complications of myomectomy surgery in one of the best hospital in Lagos [1996].

Agreed that a vaginal hysteroscopy may not have required a spinal anaesthesia, we leave the team to explain why they choose to administer it.

The plausible explanation from the patchy one sided history given by the dad could be that the daughter suffered a pulmonary embolism which carries a near 100% fatality in our environment.

If the attending team did inform the patient on the procedure, reasons for the procedure, other available options and afterward extracted a signed informed consent for the surgery, they may go scott free if no negligence is established against them.

There are no minor or major surgeries these days as a minor case can quickly go awry.

Like I said earlier, I am equally traumatized reading this story but we can not crucify the medical team yet until after all processes are concluded.

RIP

A minor case like inserting a cannula or a catheter cannot spiral out of control and become fatal.

Someone that was scheduled for a hysteroscopy where a camera is used to view the vagina and womb is not what you expect to spiral out of control.

2 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by yewit37486: 1:24pm On Feb 24
VIKTO83:
Most of u that are making unguarded noise here and there forgot that Mrs Stella Obasanjo died overseas. Akeredolu died overseas. Yaradua died overseas. A lot countless people died overseas.
Abi u dey tell me say otibo no dwy die?

U never hear d part of d doctors or the diagnostic center...
Make una dey calm down biko.
Yet our doctors are sorted after all over d world.

Whilst not excusing the doctor in this particular case, a lot of Nigerians act like people don't die overseas. Meanwhile, medical errors account for 9.5% of all deaths in the U.S. each year.

According to a study by Johns Hopkins, more than 250,000 deaths every year are due to medical malpractice. This staggering figure makes medical malpractice the third leading cause of death in the United States, behind heart disease and cancer.

3 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Orelafintun: 1:26pm On Feb 24
subcbouy:
When you see a doctor reading from a medical dictionary book, just know that you are in 50:50 dilemma.
Not in all cases, in the Western world doctors check to be sure. In fact, Nigeria trained doctors that used to prescribe drugs off hand are usually made to check BNF to avoid this type of calamity/catastrophic event. Of course something went wrong which could have been averted in experienced hands. Having said that complications know no bounds. It could occur at any time with no respect for climes.
This was a sad event. RIP to this brilliant lady. So painful
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Jman06(m): 1:26pm On Feb 24
This is really heartbreaking.

This is why some of us keep lamenting about our messed up healthcare sector.
Nigerian doctors have this attitude of feeling that they know it all, yet everyday they keep slaughtering Nigerians on the alter of sheer ignorance and negligence.

Many other Nigerians have been killed by doctors just like Rebecca but the government would rather look away than putting measures in place to ensure that these unscrupulous doctors don't go scot-free when a patient dies as a result of their negligence. It's good that Rebecca's dad has vowed to seek justice for her beloved daughter. Many other Nigerians would rather keep quiet even when it is obvious that the doctors' negligence and incompetence killed their loved ones.

I pray justice gets served in this matter.

May Rebecca's soul rest in perfect peace and may God console her family for this loss....Amen

2 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Thegamingorca(m): 1:27pm On Feb 24
tosyne2much:
I'm so particular about some comments here

Like things also don't go out of hand abroad or people over there can't be agile now and the next minute they're gone ?

This is not about abroad and here this is because it can be anyone.

The first red flag is the fact that she was taken to a theatre. Like wtf

4 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Babangidapikin: 1:28pm On Feb 24
Reason I am always afraid to go to Nigeria hospital or even collect injection...I rather take drugs ...Just wasted fine beautiful lady with brains... But God knows best sha.

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by rilChilz: 1:29pm On Feb 24
The good dey die while the bad dey survive
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by ufuosman(m): 1:29pm On Feb 24
So sad
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by plessis: 1:30pm On Feb 24
Any sickness i eat fruits for one week and the sickness dissappear. I have banned myself from entering hospitals.

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by paskal16: 1:31pm On Feb 24
E be like say na quack doctors our institutions dey produce These days
God no go let us suffer wetin go carry us go hospital iseeee
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Orelafintun: 1:31pm On Feb 24
yewit37486:

Whilst not excusing the doctor in this particular case, a lot of Nigerians act like people don't die overseas. Meanwhile, medical errors account for 9.5% of all deaths in the U.S. each year.

According to a study by Johns Hopkins, more than 250,000 deaths every year are due to medical malpractice. This staggering figure makes medical malpractice the third leading cause of death in the United States, behind heart disease and cancer.
Exactly. RIP to the brilliant lady
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Thegamingorca(m): 1:31pm On Feb 24
EreluRoz:
Such a bright light has been shut down by a psychotic doctor over minor issues, it's so painful and unforgivable.

Only God knows what spinal anaesthetic was used
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Thegamingorca(m): 1:32pm On Feb 24
plessis:
Any sickness i eat fruits for one week and the sickness dissappear. I have banned myself from entering hospitals.

Pls go to hospital when your symptoms don't improve

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by plessis: 1:33pm On Feb 24
Thegamingorca:

Pls go to hospital when your symptoms don't improve
so they can sell poison to me?
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Orelafintun: 1:34pm On Feb 24
paskal16:
E be like say na quack doctors our institutions dey produce These days
God no go let us suffer wetin go carry us go hospital iseeee
What do you expect? The quality of their training is depreciating. Only God will safe us.

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by LordIsaac(m): 1:35pm On Feb 24
advanceDNA:

No let over-sense kill you oooo....

You know say person don die

No be everything Dem dey talk....
That’s why I no talk everything. I just responded to the public message how every rational man should respond not laced with sentiments.

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Phabulous4(m): 1:39pm On Feb 24
In my lay man understanding; They wanted to on tochlight to her private part for a check, they gave sleeping injection. Why??
miracle4:
The family of Rebecca Sekidika, a 24-year-old first-class graduate of Benson Idahosa University, who died on February 2 after a routine checkup at Paragon Clinics and Imaging Diagnostics in Port Harcourt suspects medical negligent after an overdose of spinal anesthesia led to her untimely death.

Sources: thenation, punchng, and bnnbreaking
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Thegamingorca(m): 1:40pm On Feb 24
plessis:
so they can sell poison to me?

All medicines are poisons. But atleast you will get better in the long run

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by SIRTee15: 1:40pm On Feb 24
Why would a doctor perform hysteroscopy on a woman who just missed her period for few weeks. She didn't present in your clinic for fertility issues.
What was he hoping to find??
What exactly is the hysteroscopy for The commonest indication is for unexplained bleeding, look for growth, heavy menstrual bleeding or to investigate infertility.
The way some private hospitals perform needless procedure all in a desperate need to make money is annoying!!!

6 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by elpochas: 1:40pm On Feb 24
[quote author=Phabulous4 post=128623399]In my lay man understanding; They wanted to on tochlight to her private part f
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Thegamingorca(m): 1:44pm On Feb 24
SIRTee15:
Why would a doctor perform hysteroscopy on a woman who just missed her period for few weeks. She didn't present in your clinic for fertility issues.
What was he hoping to find??
What exactly is the hysteroscopy for The commonest indication is for unexplained bleeding or heavy menstrual bleeding or to investigate infertility.
The way some private hospitals perform needless procedure all in a desperate need to make money is annoying!!!

It is mostly indicated in elderly women at risk of endometrial CA as well lol! I'm pretty sure the facility did not have a hysteroscope cos wtf?!

Spinal for a camera test?!

3 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by plessis: 1:45pm On Feb 24
Thegamingorca:

All medicines are poisons. But atleast you will get better in the long run
Fruits were designed for my immunity by God himself. They have not failed me. I patronised hospital consistently for 3 years buying drugs up to 30k a month but I never got better. I ate fruits in just 3 months and I recovered. I'm done with the whitemans medicine.
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by SIRTee15: 1:46pm On Feb 24
RevenuesBoost:
What's this now!

I see why our politicians go out of the country for treatment.

This is how my 21 year old cousin died last week because no oxygen in General Hospital Lagos.
They were looking for oxygen up and down.
God will help Nigeria.

They saw a customer they didn't want to let go, so they did rub**sh on somebody's daughter.

Very sad!!!

May her soul rest in peace and grant her family the strength to bear the loss.

If your politicians use naija hospitals, they will make it work. Trust me.
When Abacha was banned from travelling overseas. National hospital Abuja was top notch with world class expertise and care.
Immediately Obasanjo entered and they were allowed to travel out, our politicians abandoned the hospital and it's now a shadow of itself.

4 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Thegamingorca(m): 1:48pm On Feb 24
plessis:

Fruits were designed for my immunity by God himself. They have not failed me. I patronised hospital consistently for 3 years buying drugs up to 30k a month but I never got better. I ate fruits in just 3 months and I recovered. I'm done with the whitemans medicine.

The drugs you ingest are made from plants designed by God Almighty who impacted the knowledge into the white man to make these drugs.

They were not made by the devil

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Jman06(m): 1:49pm On Feb 24
VIKTO83:
Most of u that are making unguarded noise here and there forgot that Mrs Stella Obasanjo died overseas. Akeredolu died overseas. Yaradua died overseas. A lot countless people died overseas.
Abi u dey tell me say otibo no dwy die?

U never hear d part of d doctors or the diagnostic center...
Make una dey calm down biko.
Yet our doctors are sorted after all over d world.
So, what are you trying to imply? That an obvious case of medical negligence should be swept under the carpet?

Truth is that Nigerian doctors practicing in Nigeria are mostly evil with overblown ego even while they continually send many Nigerians to their early graves.

Government need to put measures in place to curtail the high-handedness of these doctors in our hospitals. The laws need to be activated to check medical negligence in the country!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dangers Of Drinking Cold Water / COVID-19: Six Private Hospitals In Lagos Secretly Treating Patients Revealed -SR / I Turned Down Opportunity To Move To Canada — Nigerian Doctor (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.