Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,132 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel (52957 Views)

Bride-to-be, Hajara Dies A Day To Her Wedding In Nasarawa State (Photos) / Woman Who Tested Negative For Coronavirus In Enugu Dies A Day After / UNIPORT Fresh Graduate Dies Of Brain Tumor (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by EreluRoz: 2:37pm On Feb 24
Thegamingorca:

Only God knows what spinal anaesthetic was used
I actually cried reading the story kos it brought back memories of a young woman who suffered same fate in Abuja, she didn't die but has been rendered incapacitated and bedridden for years now from this same wrong administration of spinal anaestheic.

A young mother with a rising beautiful career now in her home town rendered incapacitated by some unfortunate doctor

3 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by VIKTO83(m): 2:40pm On Feb 24
Jman06:
So, what are you trying to imply? That an obvious case of medical negligence should be swept under the carpet?

Truth is that Nigerian doctors practicing in Nigeria are mostly evil with overblown ego even while they continually send many Nigerians to their early graves.

Government need to put measures in place to curtail the high-handedness of these doctors in our hospitals. The laws need to be activated to check medical negligence in the country!

This is what someone replied on my comment.

"Whilst not excusing the doctor in this particular case, a lot of Nigerians act like people don't die overseas. Meanwhile, medical errors account for 9.5% of all deaths in the U.S. each year.

According to a study by Johns Hopkins, more than 250,000 deaths every year are due to medical malpractice. This staggering figure makes medical malpractice the third leading cause of death in the United States, behind heart disease and cancer."

2 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 2:43pm On Feb 24
Anashe:

You both don't have sense. Zero sense. Have you ever heard of PCOS? Fibroids? Or do you need me to Google it for you? If you know nothing about medicine, then shut up! Ozuo

I'm not the cause of your frustrations.
If you cannot engage people in conversation without an infusion of curses, abuse and insults then avoid me.

5 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by ceeceeuwa: 2:52pm On Feb 24
All the competent medical personnels don Japa finish. Tinubu said they can be replaced with inexperienced ones. RIP young chap!

2 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by jogojogo: 2:57pm On Feb 24
miracle4:
The family of Rebecca Sekidika, a 24-year-old first-class graduate of Benson Idahosa University, who died on February 2 after a routine checkup at Paragon Clinics and Imaging Diagnostics in Port Harcourt suspects medical negligent after an overdose of spinal anesthesia led to her untimely death.

Sources: thenation, punchng, and bnnbreaking
I had not seen this post when I was telling a lady yesterday how my pregnant wife was almost killed in this same hospital 8 years ago. She came there for malaria treatment and the doctor prescribed a certain anti malaria drugs to her. My w8fe being knowledgeable argued with the doctor that its not safe to give such to a pregnant woman...the doctor insisted he was right until he called a colleague, putting the phone a speakers to ask his colleague who didn't know it was on speakers told him the same my wife said to his shame. Na so we run leave that hospital and transfered to pamo clinic, from there we ported to Phonyx clinic where she gave birth. It was a scary period for us. My younger brother was unlucky to have dies from the poor attitude and negligence of Hospitals in Nigeria

6 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by enemyofprogress: 2:58pm On Feb 24
Village people are real. Respect them
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by jogojogo: 3:00pm On Feb 24
ceeceeuwa:
All the competent medical personnels don Japa finish. Tinubu said they can be replaced with inexperienced ones. RIP young chap!
Upu still find way brong Tinubu into this. Was Tinubu the president 8 years ago when wrong prescription was given to my in the same hospital?

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by sunsweet33: 3:04pm On Feb 24
Spinal anaesthesia?! Just to have a look in there?

They were trying to run up her bill or what Hai! So sad.

4 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Yahoodelababe: 3:06pm On Feb 24
I remembered when i was sick going from hospital to hospital before i was finally referred to Luth. Omo the doctors had to ask me if i studied medicine at school cos i was even the one telling them the big big names and stuff they expected me not to know. Its very important to read ahead cos everything they were telling me to do was inline with the best practices abroad. I refused taking one injection at the previous hospital and my elder sister and the doctor was so mad with me . but i stood my ground. When At luth i asked the consultant about the injection and she immediately shouted that no doctor prescribes it anymore cos of the bad side effect. I still thank God i didn't cos the side effect from that injection i refused taking is so deadly. Till today I'm still suffering the effect of a tablet a doctor prescribed . He is lucky we are not abroad i would have sued him .

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by bomsybomsy(m): 3:11pm On Feb 24
bluefilm:
End time First class UK traveller
Foooooooooooooool...Big fool

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 3:14pm On Feb 24
descartes400:
How is a tube inserted into the vagina to see what not via monitor able to rupture an artery to cause internal bleeding of such magnitude?

How?

Someone suspected a botched abortion attempt and I tend to agree with them.

2 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Emman08: 3:18pm On Feb 24
Bloody hell. Some medical practitioners sha. If you don't know the work just simply say you don't knowm nobody will harm you. Now look, a promising life gone just like that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by 8stargeneral: 3:18pm On Feb 24
So sad
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by efemena5050(m): 3:51pm On Feb 24
LordIsaac:
I’m so sorry…but it looks like the story was painted not to look like an abortion! Well, I pray God comforts them. A female child is work o….from birth till even after you get them weded.
sense will not kill u now shout amen .......I said shout amen......see make the baba calm down make him no go open the can of worms cuz he no go fit eat am ....he wan use "do u know who I am power intimidate" that him girl fit dey hide something.....forget the negative result .....
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Babinski: 3:56pm On Feb 24
EreluRoz:
Some of these doctors are psychotic , what a painful death. Some doctors should not be licensed because of their negligence and very careless attitude to human life .

RIP to her, no one can console the parents and siblings they would have to cry till they are tired. Very sad

It is not about doctors being psychotic. This may be the results of corruption right from higher education stage where incompetent doctors get graduated based on corruption. Then poor regulation and all other contributing factors from corruption. Public hospitals are not very well regulated, how much more private hospitals?
When we run a country that is not based on merit, these are the kind of painful results that come out.

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Oizee(f): 3:59pm On Feb 24
This is too sad
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by sunsweet33: 3:59pm On Feb 24
larryking78:

My advice, don't let the voice of "this is my job and profession by anyone scare you,
Whenever you are about to be treated in the hospital, try to question the doctors, or the nurse before treatment. This may be the only thing that will save you from mistake..I know it can be hard but summon the courage to know what they want to give you or your children before they do. If possible in jiffy quickly go online and search the usefulness of the drug.

May God have mercy upon us.

This one you said now is advice that can be applied internationally. A big case just happened in the UK, a young girl was riding he bicycle when she fell in a very awkward manner and landed on Top of the steering with her stomach. In the night she complained of fever and when her parents checked, there was one red mark on there so they took her to hospital where they discovered that she had injured her pancreas.

You know pancreatic injury is extremely dangerous because it will just be leaking Chemicals and toxins all over. As the girl was in the hospital doctors were passing in and out without giving proper information on her condition.

The girl started showing signs of sepsis but when they tried to approach the doctors about it, they just shooed them away. The nurses now castigated the parents that they shouldn’t keep browsing on google and disturbing themselves, that they should trust the doctors who know what they’re doing.

all the senior doctors went home for the weekend without informing the nurses that the girl needs to be observed. When the trauma nurses in another department tried to ask about her, the doctors said they should leave her, that they were handling it. She was left under the care of newly qualified doctors who didn’t have Any idea what to do.

That’s how the girl got up to go to the toilet and had an extremely bad running stomach that she fainted, went into a coma. All the doctors who were relaxing at home quickly realised their mistake and tried to rush her to a children’s hospital, but it was too late and she gave up.

The parents made the same statement you did, that if they had just shouted and demanded proper information instead of trying to be polite about it, their daughter would still be here today. The injury was serious but in a top London teaching hospital she can’t just die like that without serious negligence.

When they took the matter to court they found that almost everyone working in the hospital was afraid to challenge the doctor even though they could see the girl going downhill.

So you see, all over the world people need to be more assertive with doctors because your life May Hang in the balance.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Oizee(f): 4:00pm On Feb 24
subcbouy:
When you see a doctor reading from a medical dictionary book, just know that you are in 50:50 dilemma.
and they do this a lot now in government hospitals, I was explaining to one and he was busy browsing it

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by PoliteActivist: 4:03pm On Feb 24
subcbouy:
When you see a doctor reading from a medical dictionary book, just know that you are in 50:50 dilemma.

Actually that can be a good sign, instead of the ones who will pretend they know everything

2 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by LordIsaac(m): 4:04pm On Feb 24
efemena5050:
sense will not kill u now shout amen .......I said shout amen......see make the baba calm down make him no go open the can of worms cuz he no go fit eat am ....he wan use "do u know who I am power intimidate" that him girl fit dey hide something.....forget the negative result .....
Exactly.
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Jman06(m): 4:04pm On Feb 24
VIKTO83:

This is what someone replied on my comment.

"Whilst not excusing the doctor in this particular case, a lot of Nigerians act like people don't die overseas. Meanwhile, medical errors account for 9.5% of all deaths in the U.S. each year.

According to a study by Johns Hopkins, more than 250,000 deaths every year are due to medical malpractice. This staggering figure makes medical malpractice the third leading cause of death in the United States, behind heart disease and cancer."
Just 9.5%, in Nigeria death due to medical negligence could account for up to 60% of all deaths! And while the doctors in America are receptive of ideas that can help curtail such deaths like working in teams comprising different healthcare Professionals, Nigerian doctors would not allow such due to their unnecessary insecurities

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by wman(m): 4:06pm On Feb 24
This is sad.
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by LordIsaac(m): 4:08pm On Feb 24
DIVINEEVIDENCE:

You're sharp-minded!

1. Delayed menstruation.
2. Hospital ran pregnancy tests
3. Also did womb examination.
4. "Even 'evacuation' does not require anaesthesia" according to a relative doctor.
5. Uncontrolled bleeding. When did hysteroscopes start severing major blood vessels?

In all, I should be suspecting a prominent character in all of this, but what do I know sef?

The more you look, the less you see.
Exactly…those are the indices. Plus the “she drove her mother in the car…then I went to pick them up….” Hmmm…it’s why I’m careful not to say anything about the doctor.

2 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by onadana: 4:29pm On Feb 24
VeeVeeMyLuv:
Result of corruption in our higher institution of learning and corrupted process of recruitment of manpower in the labour force.

No vetting, no checking, no competence test nothing. Just based on man know man or man know trib or man know religion.

Honestly,when it comes to anything operation teaching hospitals are better.Only one consultant doctor doesn't take decisions there and they have many doctors from different department on ground Incase anything goes wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by onadana: 4:33pm On Feb 24
madridguy:
May God comfort the Sekidikas family. The story is too touching and emotional... I'm just feeling for her parent, the father will be feeling guilty of taking his daughter to a slaughter house called hospital.

Imagine dropping your hale and hearty daughter off at the hospital, only for you to come back later to found her dead body in pool of her blood... The father and mother will nurse the trauma for a very long time... I pray God Almighty give them the faith, courage and strength they will be needing to overcome the painful and sudden death of their daughter.

Honestly,when it comes to anything operation teaching hospitals are better.Only one consultant doctor doesn't take decisions there and they have many doctors from different department on ground Incase anything goes wrong.

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Thegamingorca(m): 4:53pm On Feb 24
matify83:

I hope I am addressing someone who has seen an endoscopy done first hand?

Fluid is also sent via the tubes to dilate the uterus for easy visualization. This process may dislodge a thrombus that may have been responsible for this fatality.

Though rare in the hands of an expert but a hysteroscopy may very well result in PV bleeding especially when biopsy was taken or an ablative procedure was done. Which was not the case in this situation.

I also marvel at your assertions. Have you heard of idiosyncratic reaction before.
A patient can develop a rare anaphylactic reaction to even common benzodiazepine and die before you even commence surgery.

Like I said earlier, there are no minor surgeries these days. Anything can happen intra- or post-op.

First off, the "procedure" is not a surgery. Like an endoscopy, it is done to merely to have a look at the womb and vagina for a probable cause of a symptom a patient might be having. In this case, the doctors wanted to look out for the cause of her rather "acute" amenorrhea. Whether a hysteroscope is what you use to investigate the probable cause of delayed menstruation will be discussed later.

2) Unfortunately "the procedure itself" was abandoned and we might not know what would have been the outcome but let's assume you want to do the procedure in your clinic, is it a spinal anaesthetic you apply to do an endoscopy or hysteroscopy?

You seem to be trying to compare apples and oranges with your submission that death from an idiosyncratic reaction from being administered a benzodiazepine is somehow equal to the foul play that reeks in what was been done here where an invasive procedure that wasn't supposed to be done in the first place was prepped for by using a spinal anaesthetic when a local anaesthetic would have sufficed if needed

3) From your own explanation of what the process of hysteroscopy involves, it is clear you have your complications mixed up. The tubes you need to fill with fluid for better visualization do not harbour clots and as such a thrombus cannot just dislodge from within the womb and go and cause an embolism in her lungs. A thrombus can only form within a blood vessel.

Another key thing to note here which you missed and I reiterate previously is that The part where the procedure would have been done was not arrived at. Hence an embolus from her pelvis cannot be the cause of this as There was no op

Please read the story the op put there before making assumptions or deductions

6 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by SAMAJ: 5:09pm On Feb 24
My brother who is a medical doctor in SA confided in me that 80% of hospital death in Nigeria is caused by Doctors.

2 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by bluefilm: 5:13pm On Feb 24
bomsybomsy:

Foooooooooooooool...Big fool

Is that how you greet your father everyday?
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by soccerlite: 5:52pm On Feb 24
What a long write-up or is it a tribute

That's the fragility of Life

No one owns tomorrow

What a world

Evil people who have ruled or presently ruling are alive, while young innocent people die

What a life
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by larryking78(m): 5:57pm On Feb 24
sunsweet33:

This one you said now is advice that can be applied internationally. A big case just happened in the UK, a young girl was riding he bicycle when she fell in a very awkward manner and landed on Top of the steering with her stomach. In the night she complained of fever and when her parents checked, there was one red mark on there so they took her to hospital where they discovered that she had injured her pancreas.

You know pancreatic injury is extremely dangerous because it will just be leaking Chemicals and toxins all over. As the girl was in the hospital doctors were passing in and out without giving proper information on her condition.

The girl started showing signs of sepsis but when they tried to approach the doctors about it, they just shooed them away. The nurses now castigated the parents that they shouldn’t keep browsing on google and disturbing themselves, that they should trust the doctors who know what they’re doing.

all the senior doctors went home for the weekend without informing the nurses that the girl needs to be observed. When the trauma nurses in another department tried to ask about her, the doctors said they should leave her, that they were handling it. She was left under the care of newly qualified doctors who didn’t have Any idea what to do.

That’s how the girl got up to go to the toilet and had an extremely bad running stomach that she fainted, went into a coma. All the doctors who were relaxing at home quickly realised their mistake and tried to rush her to a children’s hospital, but it was too late and she gave up.

The parents made the same statement you did, that if they had just shouted and demanded proper information instead of trying to be polite about it, their daughter would still be here today. The injury was serious but in a top London teaching hospital she can’t just die like that without serious negligence.

When they took the matter to court they found that almost everyone working in the hospital was afraid to challenge the doctor even though they could see the girl going downhill.
Hmmmm,...this is quite sad that the medical field really meant their word,... We care....we only try...but this story doesn't even showed they cared. This story is so sad.... God why?

So you see, all over the world people need to be more assertive with doctors because your life May Hang in the balance.
Period! That's the point...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by osigiepurr(m): 6:02pm On Feb 24
When government tries to put the medical practitioners in checks, both nurses and doctors, they will all flood the streets by joining forces with gullible Nigerians with placards by insulting the government. This is what you all get when sentiments and emotions evades the minds of people to shy away from the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Anashe: 6:05pm On Feb 24
DIVINEEVIDENCE:

I'm not the cause of your frustrations.
If you cannot engage people in conversation without an infusion of curses, abuse and insults then avoid me.

Was it a conversation you were engaging in? Mr. abortion. cho cho cho cho cho ...busy body. You won't find something else to do than to say nonsense about a dead girl that cannot defend herself. Mr. Divine Evidence, you will go to church tomorrow now and lift up holy hands abi? Hypocrite.

Frustrations? Lol. That's you darling. Next time use your sense! Read, you won't read. There are things that should not be coming out of your mouth at your big age!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dangers Of Drinking Cold Water / COVID-19: Six Private Hospitals In Lagos Secretly Treating Patients Revealed -SR / I Turned Down Opportunity To Move To Canada — Nigerian Doctor (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.