Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,676 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel (52974 Views)

Bride-to-be, Hajara Dies A Day To Her Wedding In Nasarawa State (Photos) / Woman Who Tested Negative For Coronavirus In Enugu Dies A Day After / UNIPORT Fresh Graduate Dies Of Brain Tumor (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by lilyheaven: 6:23pm On Feb 24
Ibuprofen on ulcer patient?
God saved you from vomiting blood.
Back to the story, this family didn’t sign consent for general Anesthetics, they have to sue them to court.
larryking78:
May her soul rest in peace. But this is too painful...imagine this beautiful girl. Had she known, she would just go to UK like that, once it comes to tube Introduction I decline it because of different sad news have heard on the procedure. May God comfort the parents.

My advice, don't let the voice of "this is my job and profession by anyone scare you,
Whenever you are about to be treated in the hospital, try to question the doctors, or the nurse before treatment. This may be the only thing that will save you from mistake..I know it can be hard but summon the courage to know what they want to give you or your children before they do. If possible in jiffy quickly go online and search the usefulness of the drug.

I had Ulcer issue when a physiotherapist decided to call himself a Doctor, and was administering ibuprofen drug as a minor pain killer, but the pain was not that aggravated or severe pain, meanwhile in administering such drugs measures should be there for controlled usage but no caution was given, this caused ulcer in the stomach for a while back then, I could not fast for 2 years. But today, Thank God for wisdom and how I managed it. I am Hale healthy and Fine now.

May God have mercy upon us.

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by matify83: 6:36pm On Feb 24
Thegamingorca:

First off, the "procedure" is not a surgery. Like an endoscopy, it is done to merely to have a look at the womb and vagina for a probable cause of a symptom a patient might be having. In this case, the doctors wanted to look out for the cause of her rather "acute" amenorrhea. Whether a hysteroscope is what you use to investigate the probable cause of delayed menstruation will be discussed later.

2) Unfortunately "the procedure itself" was abandoned and we might not know what would have been the outcome but let's assume you want to do the procedure in your clinic, is it a spinal anaesthetic you apply to do an endoscopy or hysteroscopy?

You seem to be trying to compare apples and oranges with your submission that death from an idiosyncratic reaction from being administered a benzodiazepine is somehow equal to the foul play that reeks in what was been done here where an invasive procedure that wasn't supposed to be done in the first place was prepped for by using a spinal anaesthetic when a local anaesthetic would have sufficed if needed

3) From your own explanation of what the process of hysteroscopy involves, it is clear you have your complications mixed up. The tubes you need to fill with fluid for better visualization do not harbour clots and as such a thrombus cannot just dislodge from within the womb and go and cause an embolism in her lungs. A thrombus can only form within a blood vessel.

Another key thing to note here which you missed and I reiterate previously is that The part where the procedure would have been done was not arrived at. Hence an embolus from her pelvis cannot be the cause of this as There was no op

Please read the story the op put there before making assumptions or deductions

From you opener, I kind of have the feeling that you don't fully grasp what an hysteroscopic procedure entails.

Hysteroscopy (transvaginal) can be DIAGNOSTIC or THERAPEUTIC or BOTH.

Like I enumerated earlier, a diagnostic hysteroscopy is just fact finding.

A suspicious growth can be taken (biopsy) during the process or a uterine polyp completely excised.

A myomectomy can be done using the same scope.

All these later procedures fall within the definition of a therapeutic hysteroscopy and much more.

You limit the procedure when you called it mere looking at the uterus.

As for the team using a spinal anaesthesia, I duly noted the error in their judgement but I left it to them to explain themselves.

However when conscious sedation is employed in this procedure by use diazepam and pentazocine, deaths have occurred from idiosyncratic reactions.

Oh yes hysteroscopy is minimal invasive surgery. If you don't know this, then I'm done.

Your other points are also noted but like your opener, they are all spurious assumptions.

Enjoy your weekend.

3 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by NemoDatQuod(m): 6:51pm On Feb 24
I am saddened by your loss. This is not the time. When you have come to terms with her loss, you then need to sit down and ask yourself some questions.

How on this mother effing earth, did you allow your precious daughter to go anywhere near a Nigerian hospital for such so called "Minor procedure"? A girl who was due to go abroad in a week's time and you couldn't wait for her to get there and get medical consultation. You have the money. Instead you sent her to the house of butchers.

I am pointing this out so you don't make the mistake a second time. Yes, go to a Nigerian hospital if it is malaria and be very observant of the butchers and don't leave someone you love with them alone. But anything other than malaria, don't go anywhere near a Nigerian hospital or butcher. Not even for headache as it can be the symptom of a serious underlying problem and they will still not get it right.

Those who use Nigerian hospitals do so because they don't have a choice. if we are to hold these butchers accountable for the deaths that have occurred in their hands, there will not be a single butcher ( sorry Doctor) left in Nigeria . They will all be in prison.

We must also be thinking persons. When a society has become so decayed as ours, you should know that the decay is everywhere including in medicine. You should not have driven that girl to any hospital. If your thought was that it will be cheaper in Nigeria than her planned destination, well there, you have your answer. If you can afford it, don't go to a Nigerian hospital. It is that simple. A hospital in Benin Republic or Ghana will give you better outcomes, if you can't afford one in Europe or North America.

Until the day the Nigerian people, who are holding themselves down by allowing riff raffs to govern them, wake up and "prefer death to a life that is worse than death.

miracle4:
The family of Rebecca Sekidika, a 24-year-old first-class graduate of Benson Idahosa University, who died on February 2 after a routine checkup at Paragon Clinics and Imaging Diagnostics in Port Harcourt suspects medical negligent after an overdose of spinal anesthesia led to her untimely death.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 6:54pm On Feb 24
Anashe:

Was it a conversation you were engaging in? Mr. abortion. cho cho cho cho cho ...busy body. You won't find something else to do than to say nonsense about a dead girl that cannot defend herself. Mr. Divine Evidence, you will go to church tomorrow now and lift up holy hands abi? Hypocrite.

Frustrations? Lol. That's you darling. Next time use your sense! Read, you won't read. There are things that should not be coming out of your mouth at your big age!

I'm not your darling.
Rest.
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by FavoredbyGOD: 7:13pm On Feb 24
NemoDatQuod:
I am saddened by your loss. This is not the time. When you have come to terms with her loss, you then need to sit down and ask yourself some questions.

How on this mother effing earth, did you allow your precious daughter to go anywhere near a Nigerian hospital for such so called "Minor procedure"? A girl who was due to go abroad in a week's time and you couldn't wait for her to get there and get medical consultation. You have the money. Instead you sent her to the house of butchers.

I am pointing this out so you don't make the mistake a second time. Yes, go to a Nigerian hospital if it is malaria and be very observant of the butchers and don't leave someone you love with them alone. But anything other than malaria, don't go anywhere near a Nigerian hospital or butcher. Not even for headache as it can be the symptom of a serious underlying problem and they will still not get it right.

Those who use Nigerian hospitals do so because they don't have a choice. if we are to hold these butchers accountable for the deaths that have occurred in their hands, there will not be a single butcher ( sorry Doctor) left in Nigeria . They will all be in prison.

We must also be thinking persons. When a society has become so decayed as ours, you should know that the decay is everywhere including in medicine. You should not have driven that girl to any hospital. If your thought was that it will be cheaper in Nigeria than her planned destination, well there, you have your answer. If you can afford it, don't go to a Nigerian hospital. It is that simple. A hospital in Benin Republic or Ghana will give you better outcomes, if you can't afford one in Europe or North America.

Until the day the Nigerian people, who are holding themselves down by allowing riff raffs to govern them, wake up and "prefer death to a life that is worse than death.

Please Sir can I send you a PM
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Bigkoko: 7:13pm On Feb 24
Crazy doctors in Nigeria..... I remembered vividly in 2014, when I suddenly became sick while at work.

I quickly took excuse and head straight to a friend house which was closer than my own to help take me to hospital. When we got there the foolish doctor and nurses start preparing me for surgery, can you imagine? Luckily for me the sleeping injection they fired me refused to work.... And with my last strength I told the doctor that I'm not ready for a surgery and don't have the deposit of 100k (2014). That was my saving Grace!!!!!! I thank G-d for not allowing the anaesthesitics to work on me. Trust women na, my wife don dey cabash while me dey use my small knowledge of chemistry and biology to determine whether dey happen.

By then, my wife have arrived, together with my friend fiance, who happens to be a nurse too. They immediately asked I be discharged and we went to a military hospital. We waited though, until one refined Captain, the doctor on duty, fresh from training in UK attended to me. He simply wrote some drugs & injections to buy and said any nurse can administer. I only spent less than 45k. That particular hospital is owned by a former governor! Tufiakwaaaa.... useless people!

That same night, after the injection, I was the one that cooked dinner because my wife was tired..... I fear Nigeria private hospitals more than even bro Edu chemist shop!

Anytime I'm in Nigeria, I don't stay in a town or city without a functional Military hospital or a govt funded General hospital!

Forget those efezy private hospitals..... owned by crooks who stole too much! I know that Paragon in GRA by Stadium Link road. Na efezy hospital with overbloated bills which only overpaid people can actually afford!

3 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Arabk25: 7:30pm On Feb 24
Just imaging say the man no get money to pursue this case. Nah person way get money they fight for justice I feel for my dear nation Nigeria
NLNG should help this man and his family get justice at least they're richer than the hospital this one cannot be swept under the carpet
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Jman06(m): 8:08pm On Feb 24
osigiepurr:
When government tries to put the medical practitioners in checks, both nurses and doctors, they will all flood the streets by joining forces with gullible Nigerians with placards by insulting the government. This is what you all get when sentiments and emotions evades the minds of people to shy away from the truth.
Government shouldn't listen to anyone in situations like that, rather they should go ahead and do what ought to be done. Like in this case at hand, I expect the government to get involved and ensure the doctors involved face the full weight of the law. That way, others would sit up!

Another way government can help restore confidence in our health sector is to ensure that these doctors don't have monopoly of our hospitals! Take for instance, the issue of doctor of Pharmacy that is being practiced even in Ghana, Nigerian doctors appear to have problems with it even when it is clear that the idea is to ensure that patients get the best in their drug therapy and that it does not in any way amount to usurping doctors' jobs, yet some Nigerian doctors are fighting it. Government has to insist in ensuring that the practice takes full effects in Nigeria.

Assuming for instance you have a learned clinical pharmacist in the team managing a patient, he or she could be the one that makes the input that would eventually save the patient from dying, especially as regards drug therapy or use of anaesthetics. We all complain of situations where doctors administer a drug and patients died or their conditions worsen. Such scenarios could be avoided if clinical pharmacists got fully involved in patients management in the aspect of drug therapy.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Amhappy(f): 8:26pm On Feb 24
What a pathetic story. May God console the family of this young girl. May her soul rest in peace
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Jevica: 8:52pm On Feb 24
So sad . May her soul rest in peace

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Thegamingorca(m): 9:08pm On Feb 24
matify83:

From you opener, I kind of have the feeling that you don't fully grasp what an hysteroscopic procedure entails.

A suspicious growth can be taken (biopsy) during the process or a uterine polyp completely excised.

All these later procedures fall within the definition of a therapeutic hysteroscopy and much more.

As for the team using a spinal anaesthesia, I duly noted the error in their judgement but I left it to them to explain themselves.

However when conscious sedation is employed in this procedure by use diazepam and pentazocine, deaths have occurred from idiosyncratic reactions.

Oh yes hysteroscopy is minimal invasive surgery. If you don't know this, then I'm done.

Your other points are also noted but like your opener, they are all spurious assumptions.

Enjoy your weekend.

Oga how has this poor attempt at salvaging your embattled ego helped this deceased patient and her relatives now? You are busy explaining components and applications of a procedure that where not even employed. I'm certain she still lies in a morgue.

Instead of being empathic and coming to terms with the grevious medical error that has occurred you are desperately trying to save face by moving purulent stuff whilst forgetting and mixing up the possible complications from this procedure. You are busy ignoring the bollocks reason you gave as the cause of death being a thromboembolism that needs further redress and clarification grin.

Kindly note that even if a postmortem is done tomorrow this knowledge you just spewed will not be applicable.

I do hope you sleep well this night. Good weekend to you. grin
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by mii4u(f): 9:26pm On Feb 24
subcbouy:
When you see a doctor reading from a medical dictionary book, just know that you are in 50:50 dilemma.
Hmmmm, deep
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Babangidapikin: 9:29pm On Feb 24
Discountsempai:

I am a doctor. And I read books regularly as well as papers because medicine changes

Like now, treatment of diabetic emergencies. When I was a medical student, they told is we did it this way. Now, it has changed a lot.

Hypertension treatment has so changed since I was in medical school , and new stuff is coming out all the time

Even treatment for malaria. When I was in medical school, chloroquine was the standard. Now, ( infact the last time I prescribed chloroquine was in 2009)

Typhoid, dem dey tell is before don't use Cipro in children under 2, as a student. Then I became a house officer and during my pediatric rotation, I saw a 2 year old placed on iv cipro. I even had the gall to correct the senior doc giving the drugs...lol.

One of our top pediatric lecturers in my medical school days, every now and then him go study for him office at night. Na consultant him be.

As a doctor, if you are not reading, or checking up on your methods, you will kill a patient and you go no know. Reading does not stop after graduation
So what is the cause of constant excruciating back pain that has lasted five years.
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by MrRemedyAlagbo(m): 11:33pm On Feb 24
This is very sad to read

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Johnn87: 11:45pm On Feb 24
matify83:
This is a tragic case indeed and I commiserate with the family on this heartfelt painful loss.

Before I open up my line of argument while not holding brief for the hospital, I want all of us to recollect that sometime in October 2005, we lost our first lady [on table] from complications of cosmetic surgery in far away Spain.

Also, Our popular actor RMD lost his first wife MEE [on table] from complications of myomectomy surgery in one of the best hospital in Lagos [1996].

Agreed that a vaginal hysteroscopy may not have required a spinal anaesthesia, we leave the team to explain why they chose to administer it.

The plausible explanation from the patchy one sided history given by the dad could be that the daughter suffered a pulmonary embolism which carries a near 100% fatality in our environment.

If the attending team did inform the patient on the procedure, reasons for the procedure, other available options and afterward extracted a signed informed consent for the surgery, they may go scott free if no negligence is established against them.

There are no minor or major surgeries these days as a minor case can quickly go awry.

Like I said earlier, I am equally traumatized reading this story but we can not crucify the medical team yet until after all processes are concluded.

RIP

cool
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by kinguwem: 1:21am On Feb 25
Immatex:

If this narrative was actually what happened, the invasive visual examination can be done with or without a local anaesthetic. That way, the doctor knows when patient is in real pain and stops.

Spinal anaesthetic should be for very serious operations like CS especially if cutters are not to be used.

Standard practice is to explain the details of a procedure with the patient and possibly with a family member present, including details of possible complications and risk assessment of the procedure. Doctors must confirm that patient understands the risk involved, that they're in sound mind prior to the operation and that they agree both verbally and in writing by the signing the operation consent form before any procedure is embarked on.

Whether detailed due care was taken by the medical team should be the subject of the investigation.
The indication for the hysteroscopy was not clear. Absence of menses in a young lady that's not pregnancy & doesn't desire to get pregnancy has a management algorithm. Medications (hormonal drugs) are used to evaluate & correct the menstrual cycle. If this fails & a uterine factor is suspected to be the problem before a hysteroscope is indicated.
Spinal anaesthesia is usually complicated by hypotension & rarely respiratory paralysis (high Spina) & unconsciousness (total Spina). Spinal anaesthesia is not usually associated with vomiting of blood unless the anaesthesia was converted to general anaesthesia & they was an attempt to intubate the patient with trauma to the airway & asphyxia. Another possibility is perforation of the uterus with the bowels during the procedure. The blood could've been from a bleeding uterine vessel & there could've been an associated intra-abdominal bleeding which was not picked up.
This complications can happen during surgery & anaesthesia but better preparation, early identification & involvement of more experienced physicians & surgeons could've prevented the death.
May God comfort the bereaved parents & family; may the soul of the departed rest in peace. Amen!
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by otokx(m): 5:04am On Feb 25
So sad, the hospital ought to be sealed off immediately pending conclusion of the investigation.
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by seanery: 7:15am On Feb 25
She don too announce am.
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Ruwaha: 7:34am On Feb 25
I've never been so confused reading the cause of morbidity and mortality like this case because nothing is adding up at all
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Ruwaha: 7:44am On Feb 25
Agreed but the picture they are painting here isn't clear at all and let's not rule out the possibilities anaphylactic shock here.

Why did the anaesthetist op for such and what was the indication for spinal anaesthesia in that hysteroscopy? Was it to incur more cost to the patients bill since it's a private hospital because it could stimulate a cascade of events that led to this,and again,I ll quarry the type of anaesthetic agent used.

What could have caused vomiting of blood (Upper GI bleeding) when there's no gastric varices or chronic ulcer etc.The massive vaginal blood loss maybe as a result of DIC but what was the predisposing factor that led to DIC even if we would entertain it, could it be that there was instrumentation because a hysteroscope cannot be that sharp to pierce the uterus.
Endometriosis gives a pointer b4 it sets in,I ll not even entertain such either.

Amenorrhea for a while b4 visiting the hospital,has something attached to it,because a landmine could be set and it just happens to have exploded when they stepped on it.

Any combination here is possible.

But by and large,I'm not getting the full picture

Thegamingorca:

First off, the "procedure" is not a surgery. Like an endoscopy, it is done to merely to have a look at the womb and vagina for a probable cause of a symptom a patient might be having. In this case, the doctors wanted to look out for the cause of her rather "acute" amenorrhea. Whether a hysteroscope is what you use to investigate the probable cause of delayed menstruation will be discussed later.

2) Unfortunately "the procedure itself" was abandoned and we might not know what would have been the outcome but let's assume you want to do the procedure in your clinic, is it a spinal anaesthetic you apply to do an endoscopy or hysteroscopy?

You seem to be trying to compare apples and oranges with your submission that death from an idiosyncratic reaction from being administered a benzodiazepine is somehow equal to the foul play that reeks in what was been done here where an invasive procedure that wasn't supposed to be done in the first place was prepped for by using a spinal anaesthetic when a local anaesthetic would have sufficed if needed

3) From your own explanation of what the process of hysteroscopy involves, it is clear you have your complications mixed up. The tubes you need to fill with fluid for better visualization do not harbour clots and as such a thrombus cannot just dislodge from within the womb and go and cause an embolism in her lungs. A thrombus can only form within a blood vessel.

Another key thing to note here which you missed and I reiterate previously is that The part where the procedure would have been done was not arrived at. Hence an embolus from her pelvis cannot be the cause of this as There was no op

Please read the story the op put there before making assumptions or deductions

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Ruwaha: 8:10am On Feb 25
matify83:

Enjoy your weekend.
Doc let's not call a spade a shovel,they were going in for a dignostic procedure not therapeutic,a uterine polyp would have been picked by a scan before instituting a therapeutic measure.

We are not getting the picture clear,so let's not argue over something we were given piecemeal info on

2 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Thegamingorca(m): 8:25am On Feb 25
Ruwaha:
Agreed but the picture they are painting here isn't clear at all and let's not rule out the possibilities anaphylactic shock here.

Why did the anaesthetist op for such and what was the indication for spinal anaesthesia in that hysteroscopy? Was it to incur more cost to the patients bill since it's a private hospital because it could stimulate a cascade of events that led to this,and again,I ll quarry the type of anaesthetic agent used.

What could have caused vomiting of blood (Upper GI bleeding) when there's no gastric varices or chronic ulcer etc.The massive vaginal blood loss maybe as a result of DIC but what was the predisposing factor that led to DIC even if we would entertain it, could it be that there was instrumentation because a hysteroscope cannot be that sharp to pierce the uterus.
Endometriosis gives a pointer b4 it sets in,I ll not even entertain such either.

Amenorrhea for a while b4 visiting the hospital,has something attached to it,because a landmine could be set and it just happens to have exploded when they stepped on it.

Any combination here is possible.

But by and large,I'm not getting the full picture

Left to me the whole hospital should be shutdown until the bottom of this has been arrived at.

From the report,

1) It is possible that They could be peddling a different surgery as hysteroscopy.

2) it is possible the doctor or anaesthetist in theatre that day are CHEWs or nurses who graduated from these mushroom hygiene schools springing up. Even if as a doctor you are asked to explain the probable cause of what happened in theatre and the first thing you do is point at the anaesthetist. You have lost all respect.

3) the fact that she was there for a hysteroscopy for her amenorrhoea but somehow ended up in a theatre where she was even given spinal suggests to me that these ppl might have mixed up the whole thing and perhaps wanted to do a major surgery or something else equally horrifying as a hysteroscopy.

4) the death certificate they gave was that the patient died of a heart failure from a pulmonary embolism/ vascular rupture. Wtf?!

If true then entire hospital needs to be run a foot and the manager who doubles as CMD needs to be locked up for a very long time

2 Likes

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by matify83: 9:01am On Feb 25
Ruwaha:

Doc let's not call a spade a shovel,they were going in for a dignostic procedure not therapeutic,a uterine polyp would have been picked by a scan before instituting a therapeutic measure.

We are not getting the picture clear,so let's not argue over something we were given piecemeal info on

Thanks!

Going by the original story as recounted by the dad, I'm even of the opinion that a hysteroscopy was not needed at this stage.

If an abdominopevic scan was not elucidating enough after a negative pregnancy test, they had other options like a hormonal profile since it is amenorrhea we are dealing with and not a cryptomenorrhoea from imperforate hymen.

How they wound up with a hysteroscopy beats my imagination when it wasn't a case of abnormal PV bleeding.

However, like I said in one of my contributions, this history is patchy and may have been doctored to cover up something sinister.

Since I don't have all the facts of the case, I still give the team the benefit of the doubt to explain some grey areas causing confusion here.

Our argument actually spiralled beyond the case and went wild.

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Okoroawusa: 9:13am On Feb 25
The girl, the father, the mother, the doctor and the report are not telling us the whole story. This girl went for a D and C simple.
If a non sexually active young lady is having a delayed menstruation then it's purely hormonal imbalance and doesn't require any form of doctor's appointment. There are over the counter drugs she could take and her mensis would be restored as long as she knows that she has not been sexually active recently.

The man should just go and bury his daughter and leave the press out of this before they make a mess of him and his family.
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by Originalsly: 9:17am On Feb 25
Hmmm ... and we want to know why people seek medical attention abroad. I'm almost sure she was pregnant but greed would not make the doctors say so. There is money to make in tests ... tests they are not qualified to do . I just hope her father file criminal charges against the doctors involved and he uses his money and connection to make sure they remain in prison for the rest of their lives . I'm almost sure she is not the first victim. Who knows.... hope they check if both her kidneys are intact.
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by sunsweet33: 10:50am On Feb 25
larryking78:

Hmmmm,...this is quite sad that the medical field really meant their word,... We care....we only try...but this story doesn't even showed they cared. This story is so sad.... God why?

Period! That's the point...

That’s just it…people here are lamenting the state of Nigerian hospitals but the truth is that you have to have confidence wherever you go…that somebody is a doctor doesnt mean they are truly interested in doing the right thing.

I was even thinking maybe it was a black woman telling this horrible story but it was a well-educated white lady…so racism isn’t even a factor here…they simply weren’t interested in saving the little girl…
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by sunsweet33: 10:53am On Feb 25
matify83:

If an abdominopevic scan was not elucidating enough after a negative pregnancy test, they had other options like a hormonal profile since it is amenorrhea we are dealing with and not a cryptomenorrhoea from imperforate hymen.

Thanks!

Thank you so much. Whatever happened to giving a simple ultrasound! Even common blood test, what now happened! This story is crazy, damn
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by lebienconnu: 10:53am On Feb 25
LordIsaac:
I’m so sorry…but it looks like the story was painted not to look like an abortion! Well, I pray God comforts them. A female child is work o….from birth till even after you get them weded.

This is called hitting the nail on the head. There is more to the story than meets the eye. Life has taught me to always listen to the other side of the story before jumping to conclusion.

No doctor, I repeat, no doctor on earth will do hysteroscopy for a patient because she missed her period for one week. And yes, anaesthesia may be indicated for hysteroscopy. Never say never in medicine. I leave it to the team involved to defend themselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by oluku86: 12:12pm On Feb 25
Her organs must have been harvested.

Trust naija doctors at your own peril
miracle4:
The family of Rebecca Sekidika, a 24-year-old first-class graduate of Benson Idahosa University, who died on February 2 after a routine checkup at Paragon Clinics and Imaging Diagnostics in Port Harcourt suspects medical negligent after an overdose of spinal anesthesia led to her untimely death.

Sources: thenation, punchng, and bnnbreaking
Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by ruggedtimi(m): 12:39pm On Feb 25
Damn she / her elder brother were my juniors at secondary school...her elder brother played for galatasaray in turkish league. Dont know much about her but i know she was awesome cos of her brother's popularity then as a good footballer in school.

1 Like

Re: Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel by subcbouy: 1:23pm On Feb 25
PoliteActivist:

Actually that can be a good sign, instead of the ones who will pretend they know everything
Actually that can be a good sign until you see another profession before you will start to complain.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

COVID-19: Six Private Hospitals In Lagos Secretly Treating Patients Revealed -SR / I Turned Down Opportunity To Move To Canada — Nigerian Doctor (Photos) / Jilted Lover Commits Suicide In Kano By Stabbing Himself To Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.