Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,429 members, 7,812,270 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama (45017 Views)

Barack Obama's Daughter, Sasha Smoking Marijuana In Public goes viral / Barack Obama's Daughters, Sasha & Malia Enjoy An Afternoon Stroll / Obama: I Smoked 9 Cigarettes A Day In White House & Stopped When Malia Caught Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by Thevideoguy: 7:13pm On Feb 25
Malia Obama, daughter of former President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama, has adopted a new name “Malia Ann” as she premiered her first movie as a director, “The Heart,” at the Sundance Film Festival.

Malia Obama, daughter of former President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama, has adopted a new name “Malia Ann” as she premiered her first movie as a director, “The Heart,” at the Sundance Film Festival.

Malia Obama, born on July 4, 1998, now chooses to be called Malia Ann.

Her middle name is chosen in honor of her paternal grandmother mother, who died in 1995 at the age of 52 from ovarian cancer.

Malia focuses to become a screenwriter with a degree majoring in Visual and Environmental Studies from the prestigious Harvard University in USA.

Malia directed and wrote the script for her movie, “The Heart“. It was written in her new name, Malia Ann.

The movie was first premiered at the 2024 Sundance Film Festival in early February, 2024.

As a member of the writing team for the Amazon Prime show “Swarm,” which debuted in 2021, Malia’s first step into the movie business. With Rory Culkin and Billie Eilish in the group, “Swarm” was a good start to her career.

https://reportafrique.com/entertainment/malia-obama-adopts-new-name-launches-her-first-movie/

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by Njic: 7:24pm On Feb 25
That's oyibo for you

12 Likes

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by Chicagograduate(m): 7:25pm On Feb 25
She for disown her papa.Na this yeye man ban free American visa for African countries.If not na there I for dey hustle.

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by Obainoman6: 7:58pm On Feb 25
One thing i noticed about the kids of these overly woked parents is they always have issues am talking mental issues, i mean depression and stuffs over there its like cough if someone sneeze u can catch it unlike here in Africa

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by NSNO(m): 9:10pm On Feb 25
Obainoman6:
One thing i noticed about the kids of these overly woked parents is they always have issues am talking mental issues, i mean depression and stuffs over there its like cough if someone sneeze u can catch it unlike here in Africa
Who told you that we don't have mental issues here in Africa?

127 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by meobizy(f): 6:30am On Feb 26
More of a pseudonym than a name change.

114 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by joseph1832(m): 12:01pm On Feb 26
Hian. This is exactly what happens when you give kids too much freedom.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by NairalandForumo: 12:01pm On Feb 26
Hmmmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by Sonnobax15(m): 12:02pm On Feb 26
lipsrsealed
Imagine the child of a successful man doing this to her father......Even people like some of us wey their papa no even send their face self no fit try this kind play .....

Na once your papa go summon you to family meeting and na better big fine dem go take stone you...

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by chiiraq802(m): 12:02pm On Feb 26
I wish to be addressed as Chiiraq Tilumbu.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by Octopusssy(f): 12:02pm On Feb 26
She didn't drop the name. It is just going to be her work name.

Nicholas Cage did the same thing because he wanted to be recognised in the industry by merit, and not by family connections to F.F Coppola. Malia wants to be recognised through the works of her own hands and not because she is related to a famous father.

205 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by nairalanda1(m): 12:02pm On Feb 26
Chicagograduate:
She for disown her papa.Na this yeye man ban free American visa for African countries.If not na there I for dey hustle.

No, probably does not want to be compared to daddy and mummy all the time

Steven King, the horror novelist, has a son who also writes novels. The son goes by a different name because he doesn't want people comparing him to daddy and he wants to be judged on his own merits as a writer. He has collaborated with his dad, so nothing like disowning

107 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by Sleekfingers: 12:02pm On Feb 26
Obainoman6:

And you think people living in Africa are normal?

12 Likes

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by Nwaokunkpara: 12:03pm On Feb 26
That's their way works for them but you see those our people that will try to replicate oyibos culture here that's pure madness

2 Likes

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by Stanweezy(m): 12:03pm On Feb 26
She's a woman, whether now or later the name will still be changed if she eventually marry sad shocked
Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by joseph1832(m): 12:03pm On Feb 26
Octopusssy:
She didn't drop the name. It is just going to be her work name
pen name or not, whatever happens to sticking with her original name, when the whole world, even ISIS and AL Queda know who she is? grin

4 Likes

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by mrBlunt(m): 12:03pm On Feb 26
This is more like a pen name for her craft, not a name change.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by obinna58(m): 12:04pm On Feb 26
grin
It’s a cycle
Her father did all the work for her and now it’s her life, her decision, her enjoyment, at the end her kids will bear the pain.

8 Likes

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by pelumi25: 12:05pm On Feb 26
She might have her reason for doing that. The problem with celebrities ehe cause I work with 1 they don't like calling there surname which them use know am, them no dey get the freedom to do and undo as we normal human do have. Or it might be the recognition they use to get is too much on them so they will like to shared some weight by removing there surname or any popular name them take know them.
Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by Exceed15: 12:05pm On Feb 26
She is always looking funny. Too much freedom ehn na problem.
Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by nairalanda1(m): 12:05pm On Feb 26
mrBlunt:
This is more like a pen name for her craft, not a name change.

Exactly, she wants to be assessed on her merits and not as the daughter of a former president

50 Likes

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by AfroBeatDiary: 12:06pm On Feb 26
Na her problem be thar
Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by Fuckyoumod: 12:06pm On Feb 26
Why all the sharp American guys no see this Obama daughters and get them out of the market?
Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by IPG25(m): 12:06pm On Feb 26
Hmmm
Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by DamnnNiggarr: 12:07pm On Feb 26
shocked

Old and stale News

1 Like

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by happney65: 12:07pm On Feb 26
Omo ale jakujaku.. grin
Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by GloriousGbola: 12:07pm On Feb 26
nicholas cage is actually Nicolas Kim Coppola, nephew of francis ford copolla

not all nepo Babies want to ride all the way on their parent/family names

https://www.boredpanda.com/celebrities-changed-names-avoid-nepotism-baby-title/

Angelina Jolie was born Angelina Jolie Voight
Emilio Estevez is the son of actor Martin Sheen and the older brother of Charlie Sheen.

i suspect it is some right wing fktards who decided to make a big deal out of nothing to prove some silly points

9 Likes

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by Customised3(f): 12:07pm On Feb 26
That is decision
Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by Badgers14: 12:08pm On Feb 26
People are already drinking pandol for someone's headache.

She just wanted to create a path for herself. The name "Obama" does come with its own pressure. Many people that didn't like her fathers politically views might take their frustrations on her..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by olatade(m): 12:08pm On Feb 26
Wahala

1 Like

Re: Obama's Daughter, Malia Changes Surname, Drops Obama by pocohantas(f): 12:08pm On Feb 26
meobizy:
More of a pseudonym than a name change.

A sensible person. It is just a pen name.
Even James Hadley Chase wasn't a James.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rockets Fired From Lebanon Land Off Israeli Coast, Raising Fears / 12-yr-old Boy With Growth Tail Hailed As god In India / Ben Carson On US Muslim Presidency: "I Would Not Advocate That"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.