Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia (23902 Views)

True Election Or Mass Suicide? / Chinese Protestors Attempt Mass Suicide In Bid For Justice / MASS SUICIDE: 20 Die Scooping Fuel From Fallen Tanker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by bigfrancis21: 4:45pm On Feb 12, 2013
Dudu_Negro: actually, its not everywhere that the name ibo is mentioned in slave narrative that the subject is truthfully of ibo origin. i think ibo, being a three letter word and easy on the tongue was circulated more often and used as a generic term for slaves whose African descent could not be recalled or maybe not even known. These narratives preceeded the times of Alex Haley's research into his own roots and which resulted in his book ROOTS and on which the movie was also based. After the movie, names such as Nago, Wolof, Mandingo gained popularity and no one used Ibo anymore to describe the slaves because of the new knowledge.

I have studied slave narratives extensively and I can analyze and dissect them for you. You can tell from a narrative what general area of Africa the narrator or subject is from. When a slave says he built a hut with clay plaster on the wall and flat roof adorned with palmetto fronds, I know right away that this person was from the sahel and not a person of the rain forest. When a slave is said to live in wild swamp far from salt water and did not know how to fish and did not plant crops but gathered fruits and he talked about monkeys and parrots, I know this person lived in marshy forest. When a slave named Bilal Mahomet is referred as Ibo, I know there is an error. He is either an Ibo and not a Bilal or he is a Bilal and not an Ibo. In case you don't know what Bilal is, it is a name and a title for the muezzin....the one who calls the muslim prayers. Were there muslim Igbos in the 1800s?
Well there was no slave called Bilal Mahomet referred to as Igbo. grin
@Bolded: How did you know that? Were you there during that time? grin. Your sources please.
What about the tribe, Ga? Isn't the word, 'Ga' a two-letter word and very easy to pronounce for that matter? Following your logic, why didn't it become popular like Ibo? They were also sold into slavery. What about the Fon people? And Ewe? Fallacy! grin
What right have you due to your own personal belief to refute what is well-recorded in history? Even without the name 'ibo', the ibo people were still well known by their physical and personal characteristics and spirit. They were easily identified by these characteristics while in the midst of others, even when the identifier didn't know beforehand the Igbo origin of the slave.

2 Likes

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by DuduNegro: 9:03pm On Feb 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Well there was no slave called Bilal Mahomet referred to as Igbo. grin
@Bolded: How did you know that? Were you there during that time? grin. Your sources please.
What about the tribe, Ga? Isn't the word, 'Ga' a two-letter word and very easy to pronounce for that matter? Following your logic, why didn't it become popular like Ibo? They were also sold into slavery. What about the Fon people? And Ewe? Fallacy! grin
What right have you due to your own personal belief to refute what is well-recorded in history? Even without the name 'ibo', the ibo people were still well known by their physical and personal characteristics and spirit. They were easily identified by these characteristics while in the midst of others, even when the identifier didn't know beforehand the Igbo origin of the slave.

how much have you studied about slave narratives? id hate to be here arguing on sentiments, i foresee that once i prove it you will descend into name calling instead of accepting the truth.

shouldn't ibo culture and customs have been prevalent and dominated in these places if ibo slaves were truly dominant?
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by bigfrancis21: 11:28pm On Feb 12, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

how much have you studied about slave narratives? id hate to be here arguing on sentiments, i foresee that once i prove it you will descend into name calling instead of accepting the truth.

shouldn't ibo culture and customs have been prevalent and dominated in these places if ibo slaves were truly dominant?
@first bolded: grin grin. I don't ever engage in name-callings. Checking my posts will prove that to you.

@second bolded: Don't tell me you didn't read my previous post on the ubiquity of the Igbo culture all over the caribbean?

I'm so sure you think the Yoruba culture is more dominant out of every other slave groups. Now, apart from the Yoruba religion tell me other aspects of your culture that is prevalent in the caribbean? The several yoruba-derived traditional religions aren't even practised all over the caribbean but only in four countries (Brazil, Haiti, Cuba etc) and still in those countries the religion is practised only by a few hundreds, maybe thousands, of adherents (mostly blacks) as compared to the several millions in national population numbers. grin. A heavy chunk of the populations of these aforementioned countries and, the Caribbean in general, are Roman catholics and Protestants! Now tell me, how does that make the Yoruba culture 'prevalent' in those places?? grin
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by DuduNegro: 11:37pm On Feb 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:
@first bolded: grin grin. I don't ever engage in name-callings. Checking my posts will prove that to you.

@second bolded: Don't tell me you didn't read my previous post on the ubiquity of the Igbo culture all over the caribbean?

I'm so sure you think the Yoruba culture is more dominant out of every other slave groups. Now, apart from the Yoruba religion tell me other aspects of your culture that is prevalent in the caribbean?

You are diverting the theme. Please read the thread and understand the issue.

1. Ibo is claiming that the mass suicide in Ibo's Landing is an act of "bravery". Is it?
2. By extension, that the mutiny in Haiti was spearheaded by Ibo bravery. Was it?

on matter of culture, there is no field to even begin to compare Yoruba with anyone else. Even the Dahomeans, who were the mutineers in Haiti dared not come up and compare their culture with Yoruba on a global scale, neither can Ashanti, neither can Bambara....talk less a far distant and miniscule Ibo cultural footprint.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by bigfrancis21: 12:11am On Feb 13, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

You are diverting the theme. Please read the thread and understand the issue.

1. Ibo is claiming that the mass suicide in Ibo's Landing is an act of "bravery". Is it?
2. By extension, that the mutiny in Haiti was spearheaded by Ibo bravery. Was it?

on matter of culture, there is no field to even begin to compare Yoruba with anyone else. Even the Dahomeans, who were the mutineers in Haiti dared not come up and compare their culture with Yoruba on a global scale, neither can Ashanti, neither can Bambara....talk less a far distant and miniscule Ibo cultural footprint.
@No. 1: by and large, their act is deemed an act of bravery. These white slave traders were well versed in the several african tribes and had preferences. The Igbo slaves were more favored by the British and the Yoruba slaves by the Portuguese. That is why the Igbo slaves were more prominent in former English colonies such as the US, Jamaica, Belize, Trinidad and Tobago etc. However, this doesn't mean that these white groups didn't buy little of other african groups. And despite the fact that the Igbo slaves were considered suicidal and rebellious, the white slave traders found it difficult to do away with them.
The fact that they commited suicide might sound cheap to your ears but you know very little of the dehumanizing conditions many of these slaves, especially the males, were subjected to. The igbo male slaves were sent off to man huge plantations, and lumber thick forests and trees into finished mahogany woods (this was very physically stressing and back breaking). The environmental working conditions were deathly and these slaves worked under heavy chains tied to their waists, feets and around their mouths to prevent them from talking!
The Igbo spirit and values embodies personal integrity, and healthy pride. Being a people with such spirit, coupled with the general saying of 'igbo enwe eze' (Igbo have no king. Igbo people believe that every man is equal and nobody should lord himself over another), they rather chose to commit suicide than succumb to the White man's treacherous inhuman conditions. 400 years ago the act was deemed rebellious but currently, the caribbean people deem the act of their Igbo ancestors honorific and heroic. Why should you succumb to the white man's rules? Who is he anyway? O bu onye? Is he God? O bu Chukwu? angry angry
2) Yea, the Igbo spirit of bravery and rebelliousness is recorded to have contributed immensely to the Haiti revolution. That is why Haiti was quick to support their Igbo brothers (Biafra) during the Biafran war, the fact of blood relatedness which they acknowledged. No other african tribe group were as rebellious as the Igbo group or carried out rebellions as frequently as the Igbo. Or have you forgotten that in 1745 in Brazil, where the Igbo group were third in numbers following the Kongo group first and Yoruba group second, the Igbo slaves successfully hatched and carried out a revolution that toppled and overcame the white slave owners in the plantation trade and established their own union, 'The Ibo republic of palmeres' which they presided over and dictated the rules and regulations of the plantation trade? This Ibo republic lasted for 45 long years! Until it was later crushed by a larger white opposition. This shows you the extent of the Igbo spirit of bravery and independence which they fearlessly displayed. If you've read the Igbo ex-slave slave account you'll read of the author's amazing journey of being sold into slave trade and how he fought and fought to obtain his freedom, which he finally did at long last. This is the same freedom that many slaves fought for but never obtained till they died and the same freedom that was to be achieved by their descendants, not them, in years to come. Throughout his account you'll notice his non-contentment for his slave status and his ever-burning desire to be free. That is the typical Igbo spirit we are talking about!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by bigfrancis21: 12:25am On Feb 13, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Every culture is unique and no culture is better than the other. This is what you're taught in Philosophy and History (general studies) classes in the University. The Igbo culture is unique and rich, so is the Yoruba culture.
However, note that unlike the Hausa man who is binded by religion, or the Yoruba man who is binded by a conservative tradition, the Igbo man is religiously and traditionally free to exploit change and make the best out of what comes his way. It is a well known fact that embracing change is the catalyst for progress and dwelling in conservatism leaves you stuck in the past and non-progressive. Look at the great nations of today and see how they were able to inculcate change and adapt quickly. America, a place funnily described as having no tradition, is the world's greatest power today simply because she threw her arms wide open to change and adopted foreign values and ideology into theirs. Meanwhile, Britain stuck to conservatism and lost her world power and has remained behind ever since, watching the little colony she once ruled rise to power and overtake her in the helms of world affairs. I forsee the same great pattern of rise for the Igbo nation in a few years to come.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by pazienza(m): 1:20am On Feb 13, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Every culture is unique and no culture is better than the other. This is what you're taught in Philosophy and History (general studies) classes in the University. The Igbo culture is unique and rich, so is the Yoruba culture.
However, note that unlike the Hausa man who is binded by religion, or the Yoruba man who is binded by a conservative tradition, the Igbo man is religiously and traditionally free to exploit change and make the best out of what comes his way. It is a well known fact that embracing change is the catalyst for progress and dwelling in conservatism leaves you stuck in the past and non-progressive. Look at the great nations of today and see how they were able to inculcate change and adapt quickly. America, a place funnily described as having no tradition, is the world's greatest power today simply because she threw her arms wide open to change and adopted foreign values and ideology into theirs. Meanwhile, Britain stuck to conservatism and lost her world power and has remained behind ever since, watching the little colony she once ruled rise to power and overtake her in the helms of world affairs. I forsee the same great pattern of rise for the Igbo nation in a few years to come.

Chai! Nnaa,imalu akwukwo. Dalu.

1 Like

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by cfours: 2:16am On Feb 13, 2013
bigfrancis21:

what do you mean Yoruba people are binded by conservative tradition. abeg go and park jor. Yorubas are a very balanced tribe. we keep a good balance of progressiveism but at the same time, we keep our traditions. best of both.
and your comparison between UK and US makes no sense.
First, US became world power only by taking advantage of the fact that WWI&II virtually destroyed most parts of Europe
Second, US is a country of immigrants hence the reason people describe it as having "no tradition" because duh the culture and traditions is always influx and changing based on immigration patterns. America did not throw her arms wide open to "accept" or "adopt" foreign values. Actually, the opposite is the case.

America throws its hands wide open to accept foreign people (as sources of labor and talent whether through immigration or slavery etc.) yea but it definitely doesn't accept their values or ideals. infact, it often disrespects them.
it wants the people. not their opinion or cultures LOL
and bonus points if the foreigners can adopt American culture and values (aka assimilation) instead.
so far asians are the best (non white races) at this. that' why asians are called "model minority" in USA. they don't try too hard to influence american culture or speak out to assert themselves in the country. they assimilate really fast. yet they contribute immensely through labor and academic talent to it economy.

I think we yorubas have similar mentality. we will welcome you to our lands. but really we only want your labor/talent. we prefer you return to your land when you are no longer needed. otherwise learn to assimilate and adopt yoruba culture. with the hopes that by the third generation, traces of your tribe will be erased. your grandkids will not even remember that they had one igbo ancestor.
how think yoruba cultures were preserved so strongly for over 200 yrs in cuba, brazil, haiti etc? we recruit and assimilate blacks from other parts of africa too to help build our culture and nation stronger! cool

so yea keep dreaming.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by redsun(m): 2:43am On Feb 13, 2013
Culture! I bet u are talking about area boys waylaying and asslicking otimkpu cultures protrayed by ekoile and ragamuffins like u.
Who wants to copy that?

2 Likes

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Crayola1: 2:49am On Feb 13, 2013
c.fours:

what do you mean Yoruba people are binded by conservative tradition. abeg go and park jor. Yorubas are a very balanced tribe. we keep a good balance of progressiveism but at the same time, we keep our traditions. best of both.
and your comparison between UK and US makes no sense.
First, US became world power only by taking advantage of the fact that WWI&II virtually destroyed most parts of Europe
Second, US is a country of immigrants hence the reason people describe it as having "no tradition" because duh the culture and traditions is always influx and changing based on immigration patterns. America did not throw her arms wide open to "accept" or "adopt" foreign values. Actually, the opposite is the case.

America throws its hands wide open to accept foreign people (as sources of labor and talent whether through immigration or slavery etc.) yea but it definitely doesn't accept their values or ideals. infact, it often disrespects them.
it wants the people. not their opinion or cultures LOL
and bonus points if the foreigners can adopt American culture and values (aka assimilation) instead.
so far asians are the best (non white races) at this. that' why asians are called "model minority" in USA. they don't try too hard to influence american culture or speak out to assert themselves in the country. they assimilate really fast. yet they contribute immensely through labor and academic talent to it economy.

I think we yorubas have similar mentality. we will welcome you to our lands. but really we only want your labor/talent. we prefer you return to your land when you are no longer needed. otherwise learn to assimilate and adopt yoruba culture. with the hopes that by the third generation, traces of your tribe will be erased. your grandkids will not even remember that they had one igbo ancestor.
how think yoruba cultures were preserved so strongly for over 200 yrs in cuba, brazil, haiti etc? we recruit and assimilate blacks from other parts of africa too to help build our culture and nation stronger! cool

so yea keep dreaming.

The funny thing is that American culture is a mix of all cultures, our food a mix of Native American/European/African/Hispanic cuisine. Music no need to to dwell on that. The only real place that the White majority dictates their culture is mostly the law which are old England customs and even then Minorities have slowly been chipping away at that so how is anyone's culture disrespected? Half the stuff you do in America would be considered sacrilegious in Nigeria and get you hanged so who respects what?

The rest is bs but whatever
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by DuduNegro: 2:52am On Feb 13, 2013
Bigfrancis,

I am very pleased to read from you that the white slave owners know who is who - that they knew who belonged to what tribe and who did what. I am bringing to you the various revolts and the people that led them. This is what white people (according to you, the authorities)said, this is not Negro's claims. None of these revolts or mutiny is attributed to Ibo slaves. Of all slave revolts, these were the pioneers and the most reverberating....the ones that shook and caused slave owners to look at their black slaves differently. These pioneers earned the honor to be called BRAVE. not anyone else.

1. The Father of all Revolts - Saint Domingue/Haiti

A slave rebellion of 1791 finally toppled the colony. Launched in August of that year, the revolt represented the culmination of a protracted conspiracy among black leaders. According to accounts of the rebellion that have been told through the years, François-Dominique Toussaint Louverture [/b]helped plot the uprising. Among the rebellion's leaders were Boukman, a voodoo houngan (priest)

The Haitian Revolution (1791–1804) was a slave revolt in the French colony of Saint-Domingue, which culminated in the elimination of slavery there and the founding of the Haitian republic. The Haitian Revolution was the only slave revolt which led to the founding of a state.

The first effective maroon leader to emerge was the charismatic [b]François Mackandal
, who succeeded in unifying the black resistance. A Vodou priest, Mackandal inspired his people by drawing on African traditions and religions. He united the maroon bands and also established a network of secret organizations among plantation slaves, leading a rebellion from 1751 through 1757. Although Mackandal was captured by the French and burned at the stake in 1758, large armed maroon bands persisted in raids and harassment after his death

2. The Muslim Slave Revolt of Bahia and Brazil.

The Malê Revolt (also known as The Great Revolt) is perhaps the most significant slave rebellion in Brazil. On a Sunday during Ramadan in January 1835, in the city of Salvador da Bahia, a small group of black slaves and freedmen, inspired by Muslim teachers, rose up against the government. (Muslims were called malê in Bahia at this time, from Yoruba imale that designated a Yoruba Muslim.

The remainder of surviving leaders of the revolt were then deported back to Africa by the authorities; it is believed that some members of the Brazilian community in Lagos, Nigeria, Tabom People of Ghana are descended from this deportation, although descendants of these Afro-Brazilian repatriates are reputed to be widespread throughout West Africa (such as Sylvanus Olympio, the first president of Togo). The term "Aguda" on the other hand refers to the mainstream, predominantly Christian Brazilian returnees to Lagos who brought Roman Catholicism in their wake; which is why that denomination is often referenced in Yoruba as "Ijo Aguda" (The Portuguese Church). Fearing the example might be followed, the Brazilian authorities began to watch the malês very carefully and in subsequent years intensive efforts were made to force conversions to Catholicism and erase the popular memory and affection towards Islam. However, the African Muslim community was not erased overnight, and as late as 1910 it is estimated there were still some 100,000 African Muslims living in Brazil.

3. Tacky's War of Jamaica

Tacky's War, or Tacky's Rebellion, was an uprising of black African slaves that occurred in Jamaica in May, June and July 1760. It was the most significant slave rebellion in the Caribbean until the Haitian Revolution in 1790

The leader of the rebellion, Tacky (Takyi), had been a Coromantin (a Fanti coastal fort town in the Central region of present-day Ghana) chief before being enslaved. Beginning in St. Mary in the early morning of Easter Monday, Tacky and a group of supporters, most or all Kormantse, moved inland. They took over plantations and killed the white plantation owners. Their plan was to overthrow British rule and to establish an African kingdom in Jamaica.

4. Louisiana slave revolt.

This revolt is more often, and more credibly, described as the largest ever on U.S. territory. See, for example, the recent book American Uprising: The Untold Story of America's Largest Slave Revolt, by David Drummond, or the timeline entriy at The Slave Rebellion Website.

The known facts are minimal. On January 8, 1811, Charles Deslondes, a free mulatto from St. Domingo, led a body of slaves in a rebellion west of New Orleans along Louisiana's "German Coast.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by DuduNegro: 2:57am On Feb 13, 2013
I have given you four revolts, each dubbed the greatest or the most effective or the largest. None of them has anything Ibo in it. We have Dahomey in St. Domingo/Haiti, we have Yoruba in Baha/Brazil, we have remnant of St Domingo in USA and we have Ghana in Jamica.

According to you, these were the domain of Ibo slaves....this is where we should expect to see Ibo bravery. Beside walking into a river in suicide, what other landmark do you have? If I hear you say Ibo is brave one more time you will be in trouble.

I have not used emoticon so far...I have earned the right to use it here.. grin grin grin
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Crayola1: 3:14am On Feb 13, 2013
Dudu_Negro: I have given you four revolts, each dubbed the greatest or the most effective or the largest. None of them has anything Ibo in it. We have Dahomey in St. Domingo/Haiti, we have Yoruba in Baha/Brazil, we have remnant of St Domingo in USA and we have Ghana in Jamica.

According to you, these were the domain of Ibo slaves....this is where we should expect to see Ibo bravery. Beside walking into a river in suicide, what other landmark do you have? If I hear you say Ibo is brave one more time you will be in trouble.

I have not used emoticon so far...I have earned the right to use it here.. grin grin grin

That's funny, my source from York University did lmao. Try again shifty bastard grin
Or because Voodoo is mentioned that means cased closed? Last time I checked Voodoo is a mix of W. African and Central African faiths. Not Yoruba alone.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by DuduNegro: 3:21am On Feb 13, 2013
Crayola1:

That's funny, my source from York University did lmao. Try again shifty bastard grin
Or because Voodoo is mentioned that means cased closed? Last time I checked Voodoo is a mix of W. African and Central African faiths. Not Yoruba alone.

mothrfvkr,

yeah, voodoo is used all over W. Africa but Hounsu, Male, and Kumasi are specific and they are not Ibo. grin cheesy cheesy
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by redsun(m): 3:23am On Feb 13, 2013
Dudu_Negro: I have given you four revolts, each dubbed the greatest or the most effective or the largest. None of them has anything Ibo in it. We have Dahomey in St. Domingo/Haiti, we have Yoruba in Baha/Brazil, we have remnant of St Domingo in USA and we have Ghana in Jamica.p
O

I have not used emoticon so far..I have earned the right to use it here.. grin grin grin

Africans like you arr sick. You tend to derive joy in the horrors of slavery and even priding yourselves to be affiliated to those who bore the real brunts of the horrors as if it is price trophy.

Same reason why oyinbo is getting away with the atrocities of slavery today and refusing to apologise and compensate the black race because animals like u failed to see that what happened to Africans in the hands of oyinbos was worse than what the nazis did to the Jews that the present Germans are still apologising and paying for today.

It is not am issue to tribalize,not an issue to belittle,not an issue to mock,but an issue every right thinking African should take to heart at all tims and always ask the question of why did it happen and what are the measures to heal the wounds and stop it from happening again. Because from all indications African are still very mentally enslaved today,even worse than the time of slavery and still at the mercy of any barbaric race that will want to take them as slaves today.

2 Likes

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by DuduNegro: 3:32am On Feb 13, 2013
redsun: qo
o
Africans like you arr sick. You tend to derive joy in the horrors of slavery and even priding yourselves to be affiliated to those who bore the real brunts of the horrors as if it is price trophy.

Same reason why oyinbo is getting away with the atrocities of slavery today and refusing to apologise and compensate the black race because animals like failed to see that what happened to Africans in the hands of oyinbos was worse than what the nazis did to the Jews that the present Germans are still apologising and paying for today.

It is not am issue to tribalize,not to belittle,not an issue to mock,but an issue every right thinking African should take to heart at all times and always ask the question of why did it happen and what are the measures to heal the wounds and stop it from happening again. Because from all indications African are still

oh, you just realized that?
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by redsun(m): 3:47am On Feb 13, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

oh, you just realized that?

Realized what? What Any of those unfortunate Africans did to get out of the horrors of oyinbos was an act of valour. The ones that chose to die than take it from the satanic oyinbos were even braver.They shoved it in ptheir albinos asses by saying they will rather die than stand their sight. I know if they had weapons at that moment,they would have fought and take some crackers with them.

4 Likes

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by DuduNegro: 3:54am On Feb 13, 2013
redsun,

there is difference between honor and brave. you can have honor and not bravery; but if you are brave then you have earned honor.

thir intention was to march back to Africa, it was not to walk into death. Unfortunately their intended journey did not take them home, it drowned them. How is that bravery?
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by DuduNegro: 3:56am On Feb 13, 2013
it is very well within human culture to honor their memory and pray for them but it is fraud to call such misfortune an act of bravery.

Those slaves that revolted against all odds, thats what you call bravery.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Crayola1: 4:07am On Feb 13, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

mothrfvkr,

yeah, voodoo is used all over W. Africa but Hounsu, Male, and Kumasi are specific and they are not Ibo. grin cheesy cheesy

Go and Fvck your mother shiftless bastard. Voodoo does not give ethnic origin. I gave a scholarly source that listed the prominent groups that fought during Haiti's revolution. Or are you going to ignore that too because your people are left out. You provided the religion and everyone else provided the muscle at least you get credit for something grin

You claim that Igbo people are always trying to brag, yet every source I bring is not from Igbo people and yet you still deny. Stay mad loser.

There are all types of bravery, standing in the face of oppression is one and not giving your captor the satisfaction of watching you suffer by committing suicide and taking your own fate into your two hands is another. Only an idiota would try to split hairs to make a dumb point. The Japanese who were miles above you, considered suicide in some instances the highest form of bravery and honor are you going to open you filthy putrid mouth and call them cowards too?

I provide sources from all kinds of people and still its not through enough.

Even your own slave narrative mentioned the Igbo. The Georgia State website says the same damn thing. Which way now?

At no time did anyone say every last African brought to the America's was Igbo, but you dummies are trying to not only downplay their significance but damn near every other group that was brought over. And you say Igbo people are the ones with fat egos?

4 Likes

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by redsun(m): 4:15am On Feb 13, 2013
It is a great act of honor for one to kill him or herself when he/she is abysmally helpless.

Sometimes it takes cowards to hang on to life when they don't have to. Just like present day nigerians who are living in abject miseries,perpetuated by their own people,yet they don't have the guts to fight for a fundamental change because they don't want to die.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by DuduNegro: 4:18am On Feb 13, 2013
Crayola1:

Go and Fvck your mother shiftless bastard. Voodoo does not give ethnic origin. I gave a scholarly source that listed the prominent groups that fought during Haiti's revolution. Or are you going to ignore that too because your people are left out. You provided the religion and everyone else provided the muscle at least you get credit for something grin

You claim that Igbo people are always trying to brag, yet every source I bring is not from Igbo people and yet you still deny. Stay mad loser.

There are all types of bravery, standing in the face of oppression is one and not giving your captor the satisfaction of watching you suffer by committing suicide and taking your own fate into your two hands is another.

domdom, they had plenty opportunities before the boat sailed to jump overboard, they had opportunities when the ship was asail to jump overboard.....in fact, they had opportunity in Africa and back in their village to commit suicide than be subjected to the humiliation of the slave catcher.

get a life, dummy! I want you to bring me reasons why Ibos were dominant (as you have claimed) in jamaica, US, carribean, haiti....and yet, you failed to put down a landmark. The only landmark you can come up with is suicide. Do you know how many other people jumped into sea, drowned themselves to escape slavery. You idiots talk as if Ibo slave was the only one that commited suicide..... brave my as*s!
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Crayola1: 4:20am On Feb 13, 2013
Its only insecure bastards that will come out and say committing suicide in the face of what was a brutal and dehumanizing life that awaited is cowardly. The people who suffered through it were brave and the people who rather die free than die at the hands of the slave masters are brave.

Since suicide is such an easy thing to do why don't you try and see if you can do it yourself. Or is it mouth that you will use to off yourself.

Its only cowardly because they didn't mention your own people.

2 Likes

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Crayola1: 4:24am On Feb 13, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

domdom, they had plenty opportunities before the boat sailed to jump overboard, they had opportunities when the ship was asail to jump overboard.....in fact, they had opportunity in Africa and back in their village to commit suicide than be subjected to the humiliation of the slave catcher.

get a life, dummy! I want you to bring me reasons why Ibos were dominant (as you have claimed) in jamaica, US, carribean, haiti....and yet, you failed to put down a landmark. The only landmark you can come up with is suicide. Do you know how many other people jumped into sea, drowned themselves to escape slavery. You idiots talk as if Ibo slave was the only one that commited suicide..... brave my as*s!

See this idiota. Because it was a lovely canoe ride from Africa to the Americas? Because when you are being bound and gagged under the cover of night and made to walk in shackles the nxet day its easy for you to get up and leave? Yes I'm sure the slaves knew that they were in America when they were released from below deck right?

You get a life you unwashed baboon. Quote me where I said dominant one time in this whole thread. Show me one post that I said that Igbo slaves were the most dominant in the New World. Stop deflecting you pig faced blackened bastard, we are talking about Igbo people. Everyone, that is not you knows other groups resisted, if you refer back to my Haiti source from York Univ you would see several groups in addition to the Igbo fought for the country's independence. Why are you so mad your group was not listed front and center. You got to spread your chicken religion be happy with that and stop bitching grin
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by DuduNegro: 4:26am On Feb 13, 2013
Crayola1: Its only insecure bastards that will come out and say committing suicide in the face of what was a brutal and dehumanizing life that awaited is cowardly. The people who suffered through it were brave and the people who rather die free than die at the hands of the slave masters are brave.

Since suicide is such an easy thing to do why don't you try and see if you can do it yourself. Or is it mouth that you will use to off yourself.

Its only cowardly because they didn't mention your own people.

here we go, the ibo code word. of course your discussion will not be complete without the brave/coward symmetry. ibo is the only brave people in the world.....even when an ibo kill himself, it's an act of bravery.

i will let you have the last word on that.... here is a tease, who is a coward between me and you? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Crayola1: 4:29am On Feb 13, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

here we go, the ibo code word. of course your discussion will not be complete without the brave/coward symmetry. ibo is the only brave people in the world.....even when an ibo kill himself, it's an act of bravery.

i will let you have the last word on that.... here is a tease, who is a coward between me and you? cheesy cheesy cheesy

Your mother is the biggest coward for not swallowing the abortion meds before the 1st trimester of your conception. Next question punkass loser.

I guess the Japanese are cowards too, right? Go and tell them so they can slit your grape sized balls off your misshapen body and hand them back to you grin
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by redsun(m): 4:29am On Feb 13, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

domdom, they had plenty opportunities before the boat sailed to jump overboard, they had opportunities when the ship was asail to jump overboard.....in fact, they had opportunity in Africa and back in their village to commit suicide than be subjected to the humiliation of the slave catcher. O

Opportunity where? In shackles? You don't know what u are talking. From the moment the slaves were caught,they were caged and dehumanized. The slightest freedom they get is when loose to work like donkies in the plantations.

3 Likes

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by DuduNegro: 4:31am On Feb 13, 2013
Crayola1:

Your mother is the biggest coward for not swallowing the abortion meds before the 1st trimester of your conception. Next question punkass loser.

by that statement you have also insulted your mother. wink
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Crayola1: 4:33am On Feb 13, 2013
redsun:

Opportunity where? In shackles? You don't know what u are talking. From the moment the slaves were caught,they were caged and dehumanized. The slightest freedom they get is when loose to work like donkies in the plantations.

He's being phony. As though slaves didn't try to escape and were not shot to death for it. Or the fact that slaves perished before they even got to the Americas because they were forced to march to the sea in shackles and starved and beaten into walking faster.

He's just bitter. I would think the fact that Orisha's are in Brazil and Cuba should placate him but if his people don't have top billing in everything its not good enough.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by Crayola1: 4:34am On Feb 13, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

by that statement you have also insulted your mother. wink

wink Too bad that's not true, but if it helps you sleep at night be my guest.

This is the same guy who had a fit in my Nsibiri thread. Why are you mad that Efik, Igbo, and others had a system of writing? Instead of finding out if your own people had a script you are bitter and spiteful.

1 Like

Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by DuduNegro: 4:36am On Feb 13, 2013
Crayola1:

He's being phony. As though slaves didn't try to escape and were not shot to death for it. Or the fact that slaves perished before they even got to the Americas because they were forced to march to the sea in shackles and starved and beaten into walking faster.

He's just bitter. I would think the fact that Orisha's are in Brazil and Cuba should placate him but if his people don't have top billing in everything its not good enough.

it is very well within human culture to honor their memory and pray for them but it is fraud to call such misfortune an act of bravery.

Those slaves that revolted against all odds, thats what you call bravery.
Re: The Little Known Mass Suicide Of Igbo Slaves In Savannah Georgia by redsun(m): 4:36am On Feb 13, 2013
Crayola1:

I think he is a little demented.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why It Is Incorrect To Say President Must Appoint 37 Ministers - Festus Keyamo / Akpabio: I Never Asked Where God Was When I Made Emmanuel Governor / Akpabio, APC Threaten To Boycott Rerun Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.