Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge (79510 Views)

Best Gifts For Your Family Under $150 / Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge / Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 2:08am On Nov 13, 2011
This's just too sad.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Yeske2(m): 8:03am On Nov 13, 2011
Na wah o!
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Johndoe100(m): 9:49am On Nov 13, 2011
I will go to the place later today to see if I can locate these people. I will offer them 1,000 naira for sex with the wife. Her mouth should still be functunal. Just hope she does'nt have body odor.
I don't believe all the sob stories. The man is a layabout.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by tpia5: 9:53am On Nov 13, 2011
^^stay away from that family and it will be well with you. angry
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by osasp(m): 12:17pm On Nov 13, 2011
Johndoe100:

I will go to the place later today to see if I can locate these people. I will offer them 1,000 naira for sex with the wife. Her mouth should still be functunal. Just hope she does'nt have body odor.
looool dickhead, oboy u no well o
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by 9to5365(m): 12:23pm On Nov 13, 2011
@tpia@

Take it easy. There is nothing wrong in what JD is saying. It's just life in Lagos. No free lunch for Eko, don't you know that? The money is his to do as he likes with.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Odunnu: 1:41pm On Nov 13, 2011
Johndoe100:

If you really can spare N1K and I know you can, please abeg, give it to her and dont ask her for anything in return. The hand that gives is always on top.
michelin89:

Oh please. Do women get pregnant every time they Be Intimate? Condoms are not the only way to practise safe sex, if he comes out the moment he releases, the chances of impregnating his wife wil become very slim.

They are just ignorant and irresponsible parents. No sympathy for them, but a lot of pity for their kids.

Not having money is not an excuse to have 100 kids because they can't afford condoms.
Women dont get pregnant everytime they Bleep it just happens that somehow those who dont really want/need the babies get pregnant easily - check the mad women on the streets, the teenage gurls and the poverty stricken woman with a jobless husband under the bridge.
Making love especially with a legal partner doesnt give room for withdrawal method. Its just not right
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Crotalus: 2:23pm On Nov 13, 2011
Step 1 - Verification: We need to ascertain that Monday Obuh is a real person that lives under a bridge with his family.
Step 2 - Need Assessment: We need to assess the degree of need(medical, housing, economic) from the people directly involved; in this case, Mr Monday Obuh and his wife. The general state of well being of the couple and their child will be assessed. Also find out we will use KII to find out what Mr Obuh did for a living and why he failed at that. Fourthly, we will also find out what kind of business Mr Obuh can do to sustain his family.
Step 3 - Intervention: I suggest we use Meaningful Involvement of People Affected (MIPA) We set up a bank account with Mr Monday Obuh and CAIV as signatories. That way one party cannot withdraw money without the knowledge of the other. This is for transparency; and to build trust. We will also create a direct line of communication (a gsm number) between Mr Obuh and anybody willing to donate. At any given time, you can find out what is being done and how much is in the account.
Step 4 - Monitoring : The first six months to one year will be crucial. We need to help Mr Obuh and his wife make the right decisions so they don't go back to the bridge. This is where our counselors come in. They will receive regular counselling at least for the first six months to ensure their reintegration into normal life is as smooth as possible.
This is a summary of what can be done. We can start this week. At the very least we should get this couple decent accommodation to ensure the survival of both their children.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by yamakuza: 5:42pm On Nov 13, 2011
^ nice info, Crotalus. Hope it comes out of the spambot soon.

Do you mind cross referencing it with what Mrs Chima and Talina opined on the thread r231 created?

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-802184.0.html#msg9542518
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by isalegan2: 5:55pm On Nov 13, 2011
Thanks to everyone who wants to help.  I daresay there is some mental illness at play here.  According to the story, the woman's family put pressure on her to leave the husband.  While she's admirably refused to do that, I don't see why she can't go stay with someone for a while until she and her husband can be reunited.

That man will never be able to find time to go seek work as long as the whole family is living in such condition.  Because I suspect he needs to stick with the wife so she doesn't get jumped by the hooligans in the area.  That's what goes on when you live on the street, I imagine.  

The best help will be, not gifts of cash (to prevent the likelyhood of robbers attacking them), but a way to get them lodging with one years paid rent.

P.S: We had a similar story this time last year - about a destitute 5-yr-old.  It was hard doing much from afar.  Many of us were ready to contribute whatever we could spare.  But efforts to generate interest from people (Naijas who are already so worn down by daily life) was fruitless, to be honest.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-565111.0.html

Thankfully, a followup article stated that the boy had found a home.  Hope he's doing well.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=591914
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 13, 2011
^^^ This is what I would like to see. 1 years paid rent for that family. I think then they would have a chance to get things together and not be so stressed out. They could take a deep breath,and smile when looking for work.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by lukkie(m): 6:59pm On Nov 13, 2011
I won't be surprised if this couple tells you that condoms & other contraceptives are sins, God put us in this position & will provide for our children. That's how silly Nigerians have become, even the very poor ones.

I think the man is lazy. I live in Lagos and believe me, menial jobs are not so hard to find. There are car washes in every corner of Lagos where he can earn like N1000 or more per day. I really pity the poor kids but I think a lot more questions need to be asked before anyone steps in to help. You might just be throwing away your money.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by coogar: 6:59pm On Nov 13, 2011
Odunnu:

Women dont get pregnant everytime they bleep it just happens that somehow those who dont really want/need the babies get pregnant easily - check the mad women on the streets, the teenage gurls and the poverty stricken woman with a jobless husband under the bridge.
Making love especially with a legal partner doesnt give room for withdrawal method. Its just not right

michelin89 is not serious.

a man is jobless, he stays at home 24/7. what else is he expected to do apart from shaggi[i]n[/i]g his wife?
besides that, poverty fosters fertilization. i don't think i have ever seen a barren woman that is poverty stricken in my entire life.
all poor people produce children like magic. many don't even need medical care. they produce the children in their bedroom without a midwife. grin
i am on a research. if you know any well-to-do woman who cannot put to bed - she should leave her life of opulence and try the rough life for a year.
i guarantee you, she would put to bed.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 7:09pm On Nov 13, 2011
lukkie:

I won't be surprised if this couple tells you that condoms & other contraceptives are sins, God put us in this position & will provide for our children. That's how silly Nigerians have become, even the very poor ones.

I think the man is lazy. I live in Lagos and believe me, menial jobs are not so hard to find. There are car washes in every corner of Lagos where he can earn like N1000 or more per day. I really pity the poor kids but I think a lot more questions need to be asked before anyone steps in to help. You might just be throwing away your money.

We could analize this and guess all day,but the fact is, they have been living under a bridge for too long a time and for whatever reasons. I would gladly help them get in a place for a year but then its up to them to help themselves. It a leg up! If everyone chipped in a bit of money, its irrelevant to worry about it IMO. A family will have a home!Isnt that enough?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Crotalus: 9:45pm On Nov 13, 2011
While I agree wholehertedlyy with mrs Chima's suggestions, I must go with talina's. When a person needs help, you help them. Now. Yes is all well and good to set up Nairaland Charity, a website and partnership with UNESCO. I bet you the couple will probably be dead before any of these gets off the ground.Its a miracle the child survived this long. We have dealt with these people severally. It will take weeks, months even, to do what she is talkin about. Very few people grasp the urgency needed here. Talina is one of them. WHAT WE NEED TO DO RIGHT AWAY IS REMOVE THIS COUPLE FROM UNDER THE BRIDGE AS A MATTER OF URGENCY.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Odunnu: 11:12pm On Nov 13, 2011
You've done it before, please do it again with your NGO. dunno why i'm so uncomfortable with you
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by tpia5: 12:13am On Nov 14, 2011
WHAT WE NEED TO DO RIGHT AWAY IS REMOVE THIS COUPLE FROM UNDER THE BRIDGE AS A MATTER OF URGENCY.

how to go about that?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 12:32am On Nov 14, 2011
Who here is in Lagos?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by yamakuza: 1:16am On Nov 14, 2011
talina:

Who here is in Lagos?

[s]i'm not, but even if i was i might not want to get directly involved. [/s]

I think its good to work with formal/established structures in situations like these.

How many ppl on NL run NGOs or work for NGOs?

Crotalus seems to be the only one so far, and he happens to be willing.

1. If we cant get substitutes/alternatives, perhaps he can do the needful to remove the doubts and reservations people have about him?

2. He has mapped out a strategy. Can he execute it alone or what assistance will he require?

r231, whats the agenda or next step for our NGO? Seems Seun doesnt want to get personally involved and thats understandable. It might just be a cell thing then. Item 2 is?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 4:17am On Nov 14, 2011
There are people on this forum I would entrust as the treasurer, and I would send a donation to, if they would be willing to rent the place and inform the couple living under the bridge. I would do the hands on work,with the support of members here, if I could. It just seems so simple to me and its frustrating.
Its like: Collect the money
Person goes and pays the rent for a year on an apartment
Then, go inform the couple and give them bus money,or take them there

Am I being naive about the simplicity of this?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by tpia5: 4:41am On Nov 14, 2011
a lot of people are looking for ways to reach this couple, but it seems there arent a lot of avenues to contact them.

no one seems to know how to go about it.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 4:51am On Nov 14, 2011
sad
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by ifyalways(f): 5:18am On Nov 14, 2011
God have mercy!

But wait oh,Is Cele bus stop not the one close to Chosen church @ Amuwo odofin?I can't help but wonder why they've not been able to get help from millions of people who obviously pass them by on their way to and fro church.

I don't also buy the snake part,i know that place quite well and there possibly could be no such rodents that side.The journalist added that for pity effect.

Anyone verified this story yet,the said couples actually exist?

I'd see if I can locate them btw today and morrow and if i do,wud get a different set of pictures of them and upload here(if they consent),find out why the man is not hustling,how to possibly contact them etc.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 5:30am On Nov 14, 2011
^^^ You know the place! smiley Well,snakes,rodents or not, theyre still homeless sad. I dont know why something like this would be reported for no reason but how then, can this be verified?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by tpia5: 5:34am On Nov 14, 2011
snakes can live anywhere and there are swamps, canals, ponds, puddles etc not too far from that area.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by ifyalways(f): 5:41am On Nov 14, 2011
@Talina,I want to believe I do.
If they meant Cele @ Amuwo Odofin then Yes,I do.
I modified my previous post.lol
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 5:45am On Nov 14, 2011
ifyalways:

@I want to believe I do.
If they meant Cele @ Amuwo Odofin then Yes,I do.
I modified my previous post.lol

Wonderful! This is good! Thank you cheesy
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 5:48am On Nov 14, 2011
ifyalways, You made my night!
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 5:54am On Nov 14, 2011
ifyalways:

God have mercy!

But wait oh,Is Cele bus stop not the one close to Chosen church @ Amuwo odofin?I can't help but wonder why they've not been able to get help from millions of people who obviously pass them by on their way to and fro church.

I don't also buy the snake part,i know that place quite well and there possibly could be no such rodents that side.The journalist added that for pity effect.

Anyone verified this story yet,the said couples actually exist?

I'd see if I can locate them btw today and morrow and if i do,wud get a different set of pictures of them and upload here(if they consent),find out why the man is not hustling,how to possibly contact them etc.

Please do, ifyalways.
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Johndoe100(m): 8:44am On Nov 14, 2011
I was there yesterday. When people live under bridges, they don't spend the day there like they rented the place. They vanish during the day and come there at night. It was an interesting experience.

@tpia
I read your original post. I thought they has cured you. Never tell me what I can or can not do capish?
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 14, 2011
If you aint ready to find them a job other than housecleaning, plz leave the folks alone kiss
The man looks like he carries a certificate, the woman on the other hand. . . . .

This is why women should get their education and find high salary end jobs. If your man cant work, you be the bread winner kiss

Having children in poverty. . . SMH!
Re: Man Raises Family Under Lagos Bridge by Freiburger(m): 9:58am On Nov 14, 2011
While we ll continue to lament over this family's dielemma, there is need to be very carefull at the same time. Look we know the hardship in Lagos, but some ppl we do everything portraying their leaders with the worst image ever. This man doesen't look ill enough not to be able to pick up a job that can cover up the cost of putting a roof over his family. There are lot questions to yet to be answered.
-why is he raising a family under a bridge?
-Does this man have friends or family members who aren't sleeping under the bridge?
-Is he seeing other families who aren't living under the bridge?
-Are there no brickslayer jobs in Lagos
-Are there not ppl doing conductor in molue buses?
-Is no rubber plantation in his village or the village nereby?
-Does Lagos state has a socialsystem that states that homeless ppl need to be cared for?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (45) (Reply)

I Finally Took My Children For DNA Test / Anthony Chijioke: Dr. Ozuzu George Davidson Slept With My Wife (Photos) / My Mother Is Seeing Other Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.