Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,224 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) (21260 Views)

FG Suspends Implementation Of Expatriate Employment Levy / Employers Reject Fg’s Expatriate Employment Levy / Tinubu Launches Conditional Cash Transfer For 15 Million Households (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Islie: 8:55am On Feb 28
President Bola Tinubu has launched the expatriate employment levy (EEL) to close wage gaps between expatriates and the Nigerian labour force.

The EEL also mandates firms to pay levies for hiring expatriates and provides guidelines on the employment of Nigerians in foreign-owned companies.

Tinubu said the policy, which was initiated to oversee expatriate employment in the country, should not become a hindrance to foreign investment.

The initiative, according to the EEL handbook, aims to diminish reliance on foreign skills and encourage companies to prioritise the hiring of Nigerians by supporting the development of the local workforce.

The policy document also said the government intends to find a balance between leveraging foreign expertise and fostering local talent in Nigeria’s job market through the EEL.

“I consider it a game changer. It is important to know that EEL is a contribution recently approved by the government, which will impose effective timeline on expatriates working in this country to be able to train and develop Nigerians,” Tinubu said.

“I’ve been further assured that the project has the capacity of plugging loopholes and gaps that have bedevilled the country in dealing with security challenges, and movement of foreigners in and out of the country.”

Tinubu said with the initiatives currently undertaken by his administration, Nigerians will begin to see improvement in their standard of living, adding that several arms of government are partnering to accomplish this purpose.

He said continued cooperation among MDAs would spur advancement and development that would retool and reengineer the nation’s financial system.

“There will be clear lines of implementation and effective acceleration of aims and objectives of this programme,” the president said.

“Immigration matters, expatriate quotas and relevant stakeholders have to be effectively guided to make Nigeria the focus of the objective of this EEL.”

EXPATRIATE WILL ONLY WORK IN NIGERIA IF NO NIGERIAN HAS NEEDED SKILLS’

On his part, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, minister of interior, said the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), a private company, and the federal government will run the initiative through a public-private partnership (PPP) model.

He said the project, which was approved by the federal executive council (FEC) in May 2023, would ensure that expatriates only work in the country where no Nigerian has the needed skills for such jobs.

“That’s the major objective of this particular initiative; balancing employment opportunities between Nigerians and expatriates,” Tunji-Ojo said.

“And of course, closing wage gaps between expatriates and the Nigerian labour force by making it more attractive to hire Nigerians.

“As a guide, the comprehensive handbook has been developed on the project to guide stakeholders, especially foreign-owned companies, joint venture companies, organisations and indigenous company that employ expatriates, to understand the concept as well as to comply with the new ideal.”

Part of the driving force, he said, is to reduce the reliance of companies on foreign personnel as well as the frequency with which businesses pursue the renewal of their expatriate quota.

Tunji-Ojo said the policy would also give priority to the transfer of knowledge, training Nigerians, and creating more opportunities for the youths in the nation.

https://www.thecable.ng/firms-to-pay-for-hiring-foreigners-tinubu-launches-expatriate-employment-levy/amp

58 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Ogiame: 9:09am On Feb 28
You have to give it to Chief Bola Ahmed Tinubu on anything Tax and Levy's....

He might be a notorious Olodo in matters of "Statistics" and good Governance but when it comes to Taxation, Levy's and settling his family with public funds, he is just like Prime Zlatan Ibrahimovic

162 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by fuckJones(f): 9:14am On Feb 28
this is good
initiative

Mr President I can assure you the entire reasonable youths of Nigeria 🇳🇬 are solidly behind your government. ✌🏽

156 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by chatinent: 9:15am On Feb 28
In a typical construction in Nigeria, an engineer in Nigeria is made to work under a white engineer. It could also be that the Nigerian engineer has more paper qualifications than the white but he has to dig while the white seats in the tractor and orders everyone around.

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by dayus444: 9:23am On Feb 28
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Watianoengineer(m): 9:23am On Feb 28
We Nigerians Voted for you over the incompetent Peter Obi because of your trusted and tested ability to deliver. Your template in building modern Lagos is an inspiration to we Nigerians and that is why we gave you our mandate. May God bless president Bola Tinubu and give him strength to fulfill his renewed hope agenda. It shall end in praise and we shall all smile at the end of these reforms. This renewed Hope will Favor me and my Family. Amen

104 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by AzuNas: 9:23am On Feb 28
Alright. . . . . . . Aje

Good one, make we hope say doz in charge no go go back go collect something.

Abeg

9 Likes

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by richiemcgold: 9:24am On Feb 28
If there are capable hands here, why engaging foreigners?

26 Likes

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by zuzuonyi: 9:25am On Feb 28
I no like you unto stolen mandate, confusionist and conman wey you be, but I love this move if well implemented.

They shouldn't just pay a hefty fine but should also be sanctioned severely.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by sekundosekundo: 9:25am On Feb 28
grin

Will you also pay for hiring foreign doctors?

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Dollyak(f): 9:25am On Feb 28
Again, another good policy. Hiring foreign expatriate should be discouraged and more effort to be put into training local employees to be just as good as foreign workers.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Offpoint1: 9:25am On Feb 28
I don't like bulaba, but this one is a welcome development.

I kept wondering why we produce graduate yearly but had all our projects handled by Chinese/others.

Our graduates end up in bank-tellers and Uber.

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by ifytrik(m): 9:25am On Feb 28
Balablu is beginning to make sense this days grin grin grin

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by HateBigots: 9:25am On Feb 28
grin... Will Tinubu pay levy for giving french doctors our money ??

19 Likes

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Daniel7543: 9:25am On Feb 28
Jagaban the slayer of IPOBidents
My president.
May u live long.
Any other president (Pitobi) is a counterfeit.
I bow before u baba agba.
Ride on asiwaju, nothing do u.

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by upower123(m): 9:25am On Feb 28
Good ideas....sound and wonderful...God bless

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by OnlineDude(m): 9:25am On Feb 28
Free Fiverr class...

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Olachase(m): 9:26am On Feb 28
let me wait for the next 10th. commentors below me 😎😎
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by scoobyblogspot(m): 9:26am On Feb 28
fuckJones:
this is good
initiative

Mr President I can assure you the entire reasonable youths of Nigeria 🇳🇬 are solidly behind your government. ✌🏽

If only you can read he's mind
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by WhiteWood: 9:26am On Feb 28
It's so, so refreshing to have this man as the president of my beloved country. Kudos to PBAT.

16 Likes

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by sheyiofficial(m): 9:26am On Feb 28
Wouldn’t this increase the service fee of this company.... they will also increase their price,just saying.

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by merits(m): 9:26am On Feb 28

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by amazingspiderma: 9:26am On Feb 28
Major the minor and Minor the Major.

People are hungry.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Chevrolet076(m): 9:27am On Feb 28
Y
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by OfficialAPCNig: 9:27am On Feb 28
All these protectionist moves won't take us anywhere. The reason we are in this mess today was because Buhari banned importation of foreign rice to protect local farmers.

Results? A bag of local rice went from 8k to whatever price it's selling today.

Jonathan left the exchange rate at around #200 per dollar. Buhari implemented a FX restriction policy.

And what happened? The FX rate started galloping, trading as high as #700 before he left office.

Protectionism is a huge mistake. Allow people to compete on equal playing field.

It seems we don't learn from past experience.

I don't blame Tinubu Sha because he is a Yoruba man. They hate competition. Come to Lagos and you'll be surprised to see union for every small thing, even for.

Pepper seller

Pepper grinders

Agbo sellers

Charcoal sellers

Generator repairers

Roadside engine oil sellers

So many useless unions.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by YOUNGELDER1(m): 9:28am On Feb 28
chatinent:
In a typical construction in Nigeria, an engineer in Nigeria is made to work under a white engineer. It could also be that the Nigerian engineer has more paper qualifications than the white but he has to dig while the white seats in the tractor and orders everyone around.

Just say Chinese

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by SEsellingBabies: 9:28am On Feb 28
Lovely steps toward the right direction, trying to discourage the use of foreign expatiate when there are local alternatives is the best, God bless Asiwaju Jagaban the eze-chukwu of Igbo land, I know Peter girigory Obi rogues are here to gnash their teeth, they can never see good

13 Likes

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Angelfrost(m): 9:28am On Feb 28
If this truly comes to fruition, then Jagaban has scored BIG in the history of the Presidency in this 3rd world country!

I will just counsel Nigerian professionals in all fields to elevate their experiences to international standards... Study to shew thyself approved.

That you are a pharmacist, engineer, or doctor working in Nigeria doesn't mean you refuse to upgrade your knowledge to global standards of practice.

Play your part while the government does its own.

There might yet be hope for this Contraption.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by kerry57: 9:28am On Feb 28
I will always say it TINUBU is not my candidate in the last election but he is a fearless and smart leader. This hardship is a must regardless of the president we have unless the person is not ready to work. It shall pass and Nigeria is on the part of greatness

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Akwamkpuruamu: 9:28am On Feb 28
I support this one

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by CountinBlessins(m): 9:29am On Feb 28
Good One this will santiize the employment market

16 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kaduna Killings: El-Rufai Apologises For Government's Failure To Protect Victims / Protest In Osogbo Over Insecurity / Court Orders Ganduje To Pay Jaafar Jaafar, Company N800,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.