Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,024 members, 7,814,506 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) (21279 Views)

FG Suspends Implementation Of Expatriate Employment Levy / Employers Reject Fg’s Expatriate Employment Levy / Tinubu Launches Conditional Cash Transfer For 15 Million Households (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Pascal9: 10:26am On Feb 28
Angelfrost:

All Nigerians??! I have worked with a lot of Nigerian professionals across sectors and they delivered magnificently.

Why make such sweeping generalizations?!!

Besides, the ones who are dubious do so because they are not well monitored or supervised.

Well, let those who have no faith in their countrymen go ahead and hire expatriates... They haven't banned them from doing so.

Just be prepared to do it at a higher cost.
why would adenuga hire indians to manage glo, why would Dangote hire indians, the are more efficient, your soo call nigerians no matter how good is looking for how to steal, how come your country that is manage by your country man is in stagnation and perpetual reverse mode , as for the cost, it the consumer that will pay
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by dettolgel: 10:29am On Feb 28
Ogiame:
You have to give it to Chief Bola Ahmed Tinubu on anything Tax and Levy's....

He might be a notorious Olodo in matters of "Statistics" and good Governance but when it comes to Taxation, Levy's and settling his family with public funds, he is just like Prime Zlatan Ibrahimovic

It is a commendable move I hope they implement it. I am afraid those companies will bribe the authority and they will look the other way.

Nigeria is one of the country with best policies but implementation is zero.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Pascal9: 10:29am On Feb 28
Angelfrost:

All Nigerians??! I have worked with a lot of Nigerian professionals across sectors and they delivered magnificently.

Besides, the ones who are dubious do so because they are not well monitored or supervised.

Well, let those who have no faith in their countrymen go ahead and hire expatriates... They haven't banned them from doing so.

udemzyudex:
Nigeria Sabi make laws ehn but to implement na wahala.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Pascal9: 10:32am On Feb 28
Angelfrost:

Nigerian arrested for stealing company car

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Ogiame: 10:32am On Feb 28
dettolgel:

It is a commendable move I hope they implement it. I am afraid those companies will bribe the authority and they will look the other way.

Nigeria is one of the country with best policies but implementation is zero.
God bless you with more wisdom
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by phineas: 10:33am On Feb 28
Finally someone did this, better late than never.This one has been used against Nigerians in other African countries ,yet we do not complain whenever they come to our country to work. You all have no idea the sheer amount of expatriates in Nigeria in every sector.

They should please make sure they implement this and create a method to check that companies comply.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Maxtipulation(m): 10:40am On Feb 28
lexy2014:

how will expatriate employment levy (EEL) close wage gaps between expatriates and the Nigerian labour force?

By enacting laws that will discourage the employment of expatriates in the country
unless areas we don't have a capable working force then an expatriate could be employed for a short term only with an agreement to teach our working force whilst his stay here and after then they go back
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by commoditiesnig: 10:40am On Feb 28
Highly commendable!
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Geovanni412(m): 10:44am On Feb 28
Dollyak:
Again, another good policy. Hiring foreign expatriate should be discouraged and more effort to be put into training local employees to be just as good as foreign workers.

If there were capable Nigerian hands, they would have been hired

No businessman wants to spend more money on labour than he needs to

It cuts into his profit margin

For every good Nigerian contractor or engineer, there are seven bad ones who will run away with your money or give you excuses
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Optimuss: 10:44am On Feb 28
Small small e go win una heart
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by maltinacoke: 10:47am On Feb 28
Nice one
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by bukatyne(f): 10:49am On Feb 28
Pascal9:
i pity these country, anyway a typical yorubas is afraid of competition, even America hire foreigners, Google is headed by an Indian.

Do you understand the policy sir?
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by owem19(m): 10:50am On Feb 28
And smokes cigarettes
chatinent:
In a typical construction in Nigeria, an engineer in Nigeria is made to work under a white engineer. It could also be that the Nigerian engineer has more paper qualifications than the white but he has to dig while the white seats in the tractor and orders everyone around.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by ezechi24(m): 10:55am On Feb 28
Watianoengineer:
We Nigerians Voted for you over the incompetent Peter Obi because of your trusted and tested ability to deliver. Your template in building modern Lagos is an inspiration to we Nigerians and that is why we gave you our mandate. May God bless president Bola Tinubu and give him strength to fulfill his renewed hope agenda. It shall end in praise and we shall all smile at the end of these reforms. This renewed Hope will Favor me and my Family. Amen

This one is totally gone...chai God create sha, because of 22k this one sell him entire family to suffering and hunger...tufiakwa

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Pascal9: 10:57am On Feb 28
bukatyne:

Do you understand the policy sir?
companies should be allowed to hire anyone that is deemed fit yo work for them, stop this protectionism, learn to compete, it's the only stimulant for growth.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by abbeyd2(m): 11:06am On Feb 28
chatinent:
In a typical construction in Nigeria, an engineer in Nigeria is made to work under a white engineer. It could also be that the Nigerian engineer has more paper qualifications than the white but he has to dig while the white seats in the tractor and orders everyone around.
I have them around me the Lebanese and Surian. They are employed as security they don't know anything they earn big. As Nigerian Engr. with over a decade of experience in all the fields of infrastructure, my wages are far less than them.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by GUNITGuy: 11:09am On Feb 28
Wrong moves....
It was the same thing obj sis with oil companies in Ph....What did Nigerians who became managers dis with the same opportunities.,.
Use their office to employ relatives, Friends, Cronies some even Girlfriends and Mistresses.....

Regulation means checkmating possible infringement on Rights and Abuse of Power ...
We definitely need Expatriate and Foreign direct investment.....
Protectionist idea is not the way to go but a Climate of Healthy Competition and Reward for excellence
But just employing people for just being Nigerians is not a way to go ...
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by rainz(m): 11:13am On Feb 28
Bad move. With the bad educational system. Who will replace the expatriates. Its not about piling all the irrelevant certificates, without having a clue on what to do in the field. Its a bad move from the president that will backfire.
The president should invest more in Education.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Walllee: 11:19am On Feb 28
Let him implement it first,then put committee to mornitor those crook immigration officers,that's they only time he will be serious,
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Octopusssy(f): 11:24am On Feb 28
Putindbutt:

WE voted for Asiwaju Tinubu Jagaban.
You voted for him, "we" did not vote for him.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 11:25am On Feb 28
Watianoengineer:
We Nigerians Voted for you over the incompetent Peter Obi because of your trusted and tested ability to deliver. Your template in building modern Lagos is an inspiration to we Nigerians and that is why we gave you our mandate. May God bless president Bola Tinubu and give him strength to fulfill his renewed hope agenda. It shall end in praise and we shall all smile at the end of these reforms. This renewed Hope will Favor me and my Family. Amen

Writing an epistle over the introduction of a levy?
Una mumu too much normally.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by rowlandwhy: 11:28am On Feb 28
i see people praising the government on this post and i'm shaking my head.
Guy, this is still one of those blablablues.....

for your information, these expatriate employment laws have been in existence since the 90s, for you to hire foreign personnel, you must have explored the local talent pool, if no one have the qualification/profile, that's when you hire an expat, also the expat must have 2 local people understudying him, these people would eventually take over the role after 2 years or based on the validity of the quota position. However, companies pay heavily for the quota positions and bypass all these laws.

To me, nothing has changed, they are just re-inventing something that has been in existence.

Also look at this from a different perspective, some multinational companies do transfer their workers outside the Nigeria for cross assignment and career exposure, if govt insists that Nigerians must take all positions, that automatically means that such cross transfers with cease immediately thereby limiting the exposures.

APC/Tinubu should focus on basics needs of citizens for now and fight complex battles later.

We need food, 24hours electricity, good roads and security.

i come in peace kiss
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 11:29am On Feb 28
While this is a good step in the right direction, there are more pressing issues which require federal attention.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by PHAYOL81: 11:33am On Feb 28
Noted
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by wink2015(m): 11:37am On Feb 28
A lot of Indians, Chinese, Lebanese and or Arabs have entered the Nigerian labour market through the backdoor with the connivance of the Nigeria immigration and the company senior management engaging the worker(s ).

During the covid 19 pandemic we all saw the number of indians Dangote disengaged for them to return back home to India due to the pandemic.

I guess some of these indians returnees must have come back to take up their former jobs in Nigeria.

Most of the jobs that were being performed by these indians that Dangote employed could be done by Nigerians.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Iziquiel(m): 11:40am On Feb 28
lexy2014:

how will expatriate employment levy (EEL) close wage gaps between expatriates and the Nigerian labour force?

Ok, now I get it. It's obvious you're paid to wail on every thread that has to do with this Govt.

Continue, the Lord is your strength.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Deebami: 11:44am On Feb 28
This is a welcome idea, if you know, you know.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by FuckYeyeMods: 11:46am On Feb 28
Extremely good moves
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by AdelokikiMr(m): 11:55am On Feb 28
This is a very good move, I have always wondered when Nigerian will be making such move until now, as much am not happy with the present situation I still feel this government has a good plan according to all this new developments.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Johnjustice: 12:05pm On Feb 28
Nigerians deserve the top high paying jobs.
Re: Tinubu Launches Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL) by Ifyz0001: 12:20pm On Feb 28
The company will place all those cost on their goods or outputs. So who still pays for it? The masses.

Confused president.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Igala Offers Igbo Free Land To Develop / Sheriff Testing A Motorcycle When He Was Governor (Photo) / Poll Must Not Clash With Oba’s Coronation – Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.