Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,677 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement (9664 Views)

NLC, TUC to Nigerians: Stock food at home, it will be total and indefinite / NLC, TUC To Ground Activities Nationwide From Oct 3 / Kwara Gov: We Must Fulfill Our Promises We Don't Want To Be Stoned (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by Major7: 3:31pm On Mar 02
EreluRoz:
I'm in my 60s my child. So the young man should get hooked already

Oh I see,ok mommy grin
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by 802oluwaseyi: 3:37pm On Mar 02
kkkk...
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by Exceed15: 4:06pm On Mar 02
Nigerians are already protesting in different states even before the NLC recent protests. It's not about NLc . It's about the current hardship.
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by Image123(m): 5:40pm On Mar 02
bentenny:

Don't act like you don't know that there were timelines for CNG buses and kits,the port-harcourt refinery,the wage awards etc
The FG had clearly stated that the pH refinery will be on stream by December 2023....do you need me to get proof of that for you or are you trying to prolong the argument?

Where was the given timeline? You are hesitant because there was NO timeline given. i repeat, meetings between the FG and Labour have no known agreed timeline. If you do have any, kindly provide i do not know of any.
Of course, this is different from the government making plans and goals and setting audacious targets to implement their goals. Those are not agreements between the FG and Labour.

You are just one Nigerian out of millions of Nigerians!
The truth is millions of Nigerians are suffering and the current administration seem not to have a clue about governance but prefer wasteful spending or galavanting around the world!

Exactly. Millions of Nigerians are suffering and millions more have always been suffering, we were/are the poverty capital of the world before now. No news. Labour Union is not the only voice of Nigerians, FACT. They can only speak for themselves and few thousands of workers in the civil service. Their politics and so called agreements have little or no bearing on the millions of unemployed youths and private workers.

Please tell....when have labour made any statement implying that they were unpatriotic and political?

Does protesting that the policies of the government are bitting hard on the people and the president should honour his agreement imply they are unpatriotic?

Labour mentioned many times in the last two years that their support lies with Peter Obi, that is political. Their leadership was also clearly involved in the run up to Imo State gubernatorial elections. There is nothing wrong with protesting or talking constructively. But something is very wrong and unpatriotic about attempting to shut down the country and its economy FOUR times within the last 9 months. Nigeria is sitting on a gun powder and has been on one for over a decade. That connotes that nationwide protests can easily degenerate into violence and breakdown of law and order. Who takes responsibility for that, Ajaero? No. It's the government.

Yes they are bad and do not complete their protest or strike because of binding agreement for a negotiation with government which made them appear before people as though they were aligning with Tinubu....I guess in future they should stubbornly start completing their protest and strikes dates even if your likes or FG will make people feel they are open to negotiation but labour refused!
There is no such binding agreement. If they want to play politics or ursurp the government in power, they have to wait till 2027, that's the law/rule/constitution.
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by IfnobeGod20: 6:34pm On Mar 02
NinjaMetahuman:
lemme guess, you are obidient right?

You can't tell the difference between campaigning and discussing politics.

Lemme tell you the difference so that you will learn something.

Campaign - is when people go from house to house or do jingle to tell or beg people to vote for a particular candidate.

Political discussion - this what people do after election has been conducted.

What is happening now is political discussion not campaign.

Now that you have learnt something, I hope you won't make the same mistake again in the future.
This is the problem of some of you. Anyone that talk against the policies and programmes of the government is always seen as enemy or obidient. What a myopic mind to always think like that. Better heal yourself of that self inflicted spirit.

Mr. Man, there is a difference between discussion on political issues and governance. You guys always playing politics with governance and doesn't want to separate or diffuse the two. You cannot continue to play politics with people lives and then say you're governing, that's tantamount to operation of witchcraft.

If I may ask you what brought about Labour Leaders should wait till 2027 to contest when in a real sense their demands are for the benefit of the people of country and not self? And you want to feign ignorance that that is not pure politics at display. I will continue to say it, Tinubu, his supporters and his cotravellers are still engrossed in electioneering mood and have forgotten that they've won election and it is the time to be accountable to the people whether they voted APC or not. If they are not ready, that would be their greatest undoing.

The Labour Unions had come out to challenge FG by reeling out what FG claimed they would do for workers to stimulate the economy, I hope they would come out from their shell to disprove the Labour that they have accomplished the demands as signed. I expect you guys to be ashamed of yourself for the FG reneging on what they signed for months, with many of them with time tags. I am a federal worker and till date our wage award had not be paid to the fullness and this month would be the last month. They've only paid 3 out of 6 but by tomorrow you will hear them saying they've cleared workers wage award. They also claimed that the Porthacourt refinery will commence production December, we are now in March. They need to stop playing politics with people's lives.
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by bentenny(m): 7:00pm On Mar 02
Image123:

Where was the given timeline? You are hesitant because there was NO timeline given. i repeat, meetings between the FG and Labour have no known agreed timeline. If you do have any, kindly provide i do not know of any.
Of course, this is different from the government making plans and goals and setting audacious targets to implement their goals. Those are not agreements between the FG and Labour.

For CNG timeline
https://businessday.ng/news/article/fg-set-to-roll-out-11500-cng-buses-orders-55000-kits/?amp=1

https://twitter.com/channelstv/status/1694279534927896581

For port-harcourt refinery timeline

https://www.thecable.ng/fg-port-harcourt-refinery-will-begin-operations-by-dec-well-stop-fuel-importation/amp

https://www.nairaland.com/7817143/port-harcourt-refinery-completed-december

If you need more on the timelines of the others let me know since you cannot do a simple research because of your political affiliation!

Image123:

Exactly. Millions of Nigerians are suffering and millions more have always been suffering, we were/are the poverty capital of the world before now. No news. Labour Union is not the only voice of Nigerians, FACT. They can only speak for themselves and few thousands of workers in the civil service. Their politics and so called agreements have little or no bearing on the millions of unemployed youths and private workers.

Your logic makes no sense!
Since they not the only voice,then allow them to peacefully protest or strike to know if they are not the only voice!
When the port-harcourt refinery becomes functional,will civil servants and labour union worker be the only ones that will benefit from it?
Will the CNG buses only allow labour union members in?
Nah wa ohh

Image123:

Labour mentioned many times in the last two years that their support lies with Peter Obi, that is political. Their leadership was also clearly involved in the run up to Imo State gubernatorial elections. There is nothing wrong with protesting or talking constructively. But something is very wrong and unpatriotic about attempting to shut down the country and its economy FOUR times within the last 9 months.

Labour and TUC created labour party and it was only natural for them to throw their support for their flagbearer!
Besides,not every labour union nationwide supported LP!
Lagos state labour union supported Tinubu!
But that's in the past and should not be used as an evasive tact to distract us from the main issues!
The real issues are the agreements made between FG and organized labour which includes timelines!
You are saying 9 months is too small to protest or strike against a government forgetting that this same president within months after the inauguration of the Jonathan presidency had written a damning article against his leadership style using abusive and vulgar words against the president.....this same Tinubu was the head of a protest 'occupy nigeria' sponsored by the same labour union he is now throwing jabs at!

Image123:

Nigeria is sitting on a gun powder and has been on one for over a decade. That connotes that nationwide protests can easily degenerate into violence and breakdown of law and order. Who takes responsibility for that, Ajaero? No. It's the government.

If protests are well conducted like the one in Lagos where the protesters were actually protected and entertained by the police,would there be violent breakout?
Guy the elections are gone!
The president removed subsidy and floated naira!
Nigeria is sitting on a gun powder not because of protest but because majority of Nigerians have been thrown into hunger and do not know where the next meal will come from!
Their current plight is due to the ill-timed decision to not only remove subsidy without providing ameliorative measures to cushion the effect but also floating the naira knowing fulling well how low in value it is and the very fact that most of the products we consume are imported!
You cannot beat a child and ask it not to cry!
Even if labour doesn't protest or strike,the day the people decide in unison to come out and protest,there will be serious pandemonium and your president won't be able to stop what will happen!

Image123:

There is no such binding agreement. If they want to play politics or ursurp the government in power, they have to wait till 2027, that's the law/rule/constitution.
This is another irrelevant and illogical comment!
Firstly,there was an agreement which is binding on the FG to implement!
You cannot claim not to be aware of that agreement unless you have been sleeping under a rock for the past 6 months!
Nobody including organized labour have said anything about politics!
They are only asking that the FG implement measures that will give the people food on their table and ensure that life should be less of a burden for them.simple!
Unfortunately,a president that has practically done nothing but brought untold hardship to his people will choose the wrong forum to talk about politics as if he is afraid of the 2027 election!
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by bentenny(m): 7:04pm On Mar 02
MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING REACHED BETWEEN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA AND THE NIGERIA LABOUR CONGRESS (NLC) AND TRADE UNION CONGRESS OF NIGERIA (TUC) AS A RESULT OF DISPUTE ARISING FROM WITHDRAWAL OF SUBSIDY ON THE PRICE OF PREMIUM MOTOR SPIRIT (PMS) ON MONDAY, THE 2ND DAY OF OCTOBER, 2023

Arising from the withdrawal of subsidy on Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) by the Federal Government and the resultant increase in the price of the commodity, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) issued a strike notice which had elapsed and they were poised to embark on a strike billed to commence on Tuesday, the 3rd of October, 2023.

Consequently, a meeting was called by the Federal Government to avert the strike and after much discussion, the following agreements were reached:

1. The Federal Government grants a wage award of N35,000 (thirty-five thousand Naira) only to all Federal Government workers beginning from the month of September pending when a new national minimum wage is expected to have been signed into law.

2. A minimum wage committee shall be inaugurated within one month from the date of this agreement.

3. Federal Government suspends collection of Value Added Tax (VAT) on Diesel for six months beginning from October, 2023.

4. Federal Government accepts to vote N100 billion for the provision of high capacity CNG buses for mass transit in Nigeria. Provisions are also being made for initial 55,000 CNG conversion kits to kick start an auto gas conversion programme, whilst work is ongoing on state-of-the-art CNG stations nationwide. The rollout aims to commence by November with pilots across 10 campuses nationwide.

5. The Federal Government plans to implement various tax incentive measures for private sector and the general public.

6. On the leadership crises rocking the NURTW and the purported proscription of RTEAN, the Federal Government commits to handling Labour matters in line with relevant ILO Conventions and Nigerian Labour Acts. A resolution of the ongoing impasse is expected by or before October 13.

7. The issue of outstanding Salaries and Wages of Tertiary Education workers in Federal-owned educational institutions is being referred to Ministry of Labour and Employment for further engagement.

8. The Federal Government commits to pay N25,000 per month for three months starting from October, 2023 to 15 million households, including vulnerable pensioners.

9. The Federal Government will increase its initiatives on subsidized distribution of fertilizers to farmers across the country.

10. The Federal Government should urge State Government through the National Economic Council and Governors Forum to implement wage award for their workers. Similar consideration should also be given to local government and private sector workers.

11. The Federal Government commits to the provision of funds as announced by the President on the 1st of August broadcast to the Nation for Micro and Small Scale Enterprises. The MSMEs beneficiaries should commit to the principle of decent jobs.

12. A joint visitation will be made to the refineries to ascertain their rehabilitation status.

13. All parties commit to henceforth abide by the dictates of Social dialogue in all our future engagements.

14. The NLC and TUC accept to suspend for 30 days the planned Indefinite Nationwide strike scheduled to begin, Tuesday, the 3rd of October, 2023.

15. This Memorandum shall be filed with the relevant Court of competent jurisdiction within one (1) week as consent judgment by the Federal Government.

Signed:

NLC:

Comrade Joe Ajaero Comrade Emmanuel Ugboaja, mni

President NLC General Secretary

TUC

Comrade (Engr) Festus Osifo Comrade Nuhu A. Toro

President Secretary General

Federal Government:

H.E. Simon Bako Lalong

Honourable Minister of Labour and Employment

Hon. Dr Nkeiruka Onyejeocha

Honourable Minister of State for Labour and Employment

Mallam Mohammed Idris

Honourable Minister of Information and National Orientation

@Image123
You claimed there was no agreement....look at it here!
This ain't politics!
Agreement is agreement!
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by NinjaMetahuman: 7:26pm On Mar 02
IfnobeGod20:

This is the problem of some of you. Anyone that talk against the policies and programmes of the government is always seen as enemy or obidient. What a myopic mind to always think like that. Better heal yourself of that self inflicted spirit.

Mr. Man, there is a difference between discussion on political issues and governance. You guys always playing politics with governance and doesn't want to separate or diffuse the two. You cannot continue to play politics with people lives and then say you're governing, that's tantamount to operation of witchcraft.

If I may ask you what brought about Labour Leaders should wait till 2027 to contest when in a real sense their demands are for the benefit of the people of country and not self? And you want to feign ignorance that that is not pure politics at display. I will continue to say it, Tinubu, his supporters and his cotravellers are still engrossed in electioneering mood and have forgotten that they've won election and it is the time to be accountable to the people whether they voted APC or not. If they are not ready, that would be their greatest undoing.

The Labour Unions had come out to challenge FG by reeling out what FG claimed they would do for workers to stimulate the economy, I hope they would come out from their shell to disprove the Labour that they have accomplished the demands as signed. I expect you guys to be ashamed of yourself for the FG reneging on what they signed for months, with many of them with time tags. I am a federal worker and till date our wage award had not be paid to the fullness and this month would be the last month. They've only paid 3 out of 6 but by tomorrow you will hear them saying they've cleared workers wage award. They also claimed that the Porthacourt refinery will commence production December, we are now in March. They need to stop playing politics with people's lives.
how this epistle take relate to what I said na..

Hian
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by Image123(m): 7:26pm On Mar 02
bentenny:

@Image123
This ain't politics!
Agreement is agreement!

i said there was no TIMELINE promised to the Labour leaders. i was clear about that. The agreement is been worked on, every single one.
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by bentenny(m): 7:41pm On Mar 02
Image123:

i said there was no TIMELINE promised to the Labour leaders. i was clear about that. The agreement is been worked on, every single one.

Guy why are you tactlessly prevaricating!
You said there was no timeline,I gave you the link to both the CNG buses/kits and the port-harcourt refinery!
You also claimed there was no agreement,I brought the full agreement signed by the then labour minister and organized labour!
The way I see it,even if I bring the video clip of such agreement and timelines you will still deny it!

1 Like

Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by adez2016(m): 9:04pm On Mar 02
CountinBlessins:
Protest by the people is the only solution . We don't need NLC or TUC these are both corrupt organizations which the government bribes to confuse us .

All we need is to organize street by street take to the roads block major express roads in your area. Set old tyres on fire block the major roads and demand Tinubu step down

Didirin...step down on his appointment abi l don get. The way some of u reason ehn.............................
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by kayusely70(m): 9:26pm On Mar 02
Mynd44:
The problem with Labor is that they didn't stay neutral in the last election. It is difficult for a lot of people to believe they are not doing whatever they are doing for political reasons instead of the welfare of the people in the union. It is a weird place they put and have now found themselves
Yes! They were partisan by openly aligning with the Labour party.
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by IfnobeGod20: 10:14pm On Mar 02
NinjaMetahuman:
how this epistle take relate to what I said na..

Hian
Please didn't you called me obidient? When you're caught pants down, you
always know what to say again. Even trying to teach me the difference between political issue and governance. And I asked you didn't Mr. President still not in the euphoria of election when he bluntly said the labour leaders should wait till 2027 to contest for president, forgetting that they are labour leaders and are constitutionally mandated to front for the needs of workers in Nigeria and also making it look as if it was 2023 general elections labour leaders had been giving support to different parties. At least Oshiobaba was one of those labour leaders once given absolute support. Again, labour party is a creation of Labour Movement and if they give support to it, it is within their constitutionally right and if they not, is still within their constitutionally right. Even on Lagos, they've given support to Tinubu and Fashola and like that in other states.
My advise, you people should learn to separate governance from politics. Government must be put on their toes as to spun them to performance. You cannot continue to part them on their backs for doing the wrongs. Silencing people to submission would augur well and won't help the nation.
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by IfnobeGod20: 10:16pm On Mar 02
bentenny:

You said there was no timeline,I gave you the link to both the CNG buses/kits and the port-harcourt refinery!
You also claimed there was no agreement,I brought the full agreement signed by the then labour minister and organized labour!
The way I see it,even if I bring the video clip of such agreement and timelines you will still deny it!
It's their way of life. They like shifting goalposts when you caught them pants down.
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by Image123(m): 4:56pm On Mar 03
bentenny:

Okay, i will answer this as clearly as i can and the other post about supposed agreements. If you still do not understand, or refuse to understand, no problem, so be it. To paraphrase El Rufai, let the opposers win the jibes, insults and arguments while we win the election.
There were no such timelines given in the agreements of the FG with the Labour unions. If for example, i agree in writing to pay you 1000 naira, that is our agreement. What i say to others or outside doesn't change it. i might tell others that i never said so, or that i will pay you 500 naira. i am certain that you would not add what i told to others as our agreement. You will bring out our written agreement of 1000 naira. Also, if i told others that i would pay you 1000 naira tomorrow, it is still not our agreement. Our agreement did not have such a timeline, and you can't hold me to what we did not sign together, or to what you heard outside. You stick to the agreement.
i clearly maintained this line of thought. You asked Didnt the government make an agreement and gave a timeline for such agreement to materialize? to which i asked you to show such timeline in the agreement. You started telling me not to act like i don't know. i asked again, Where was the given timeline? Because obviously, there was no such timeline in the agreement. That you cannot hold the FG's personal goals and targets as an agreement with Labour union. FG had their own plans which they also communicated to the nation either through the President's speech(es) or one of the aides/ministers. It has little or nothing to do with Labour. They are not Labour's suggestion or agreement. The FG negotiated with Labour to shleve their strikes and give time for work to be done.
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by Image123(m): 5:15pm On Mar 03
bentenny:

@Image123
This ain't politics!
Agreement is agreement!

Great to see you post the agreement. As you probably see, there is NO TIMELINE in this agreement.

1. The Federal Government grants a wage award of N35,000 (thirty-five thousand Naira) only to all Federal Government workers beginning from the month of September pending when a new national minimum wage is expected to have been signed into law.

2. A minimum wage committee shall be inaugurated within one month from the date of this agreement.

Done. i recall FG paid for September and issues arose about minimum wage, payment to ral functioning workers etc. The FG also budgeted N1tn for minimum wage adjustments, promotion arrears and severance benefits for civil servants in analysis of the 2024 appropriation budget.

3. Federal Government suspends collection of Value Added Tax (VAT) on Diesel for six months beginning from October, 2023.

Done and over done.

4. Federal Government accepts to vote N100 billion for the provision of high capacity CNG buses for mass transit in Nigeria. Provisions are also being made for initial 55,000 CNG conversion kits to kick start an auto gas conversion programme, whilst work is ongoing on state-of-the-art CNG stations nationwide. The rollout aims to commence by November with pilots across 10 campuses nationwide.

Done and ongoing.

5. The Federal Government plans to implement various tax incentive measures for private sector and the general public.
Work ongoing, and no obvious timeline.

6. On the leadership crises rocking the NURTW and the purported proscription of RTEAN, the Federal Government commits to handling Labour matters in line with relevant ILO Conventions and Nigerian Labour Acts. A resolution of the ongoing impasse is expected by or before October 13.
i suppose this is resolved, we've not heard such news contrary since.

7. The issue of outstanding Salaries and Wages of Tertiary Education workers in Federal-owned educational institutions is being referred to Ministry of Labour and Employment for further engagement.

Further engagement ongoing and many other wages and pensions have since been paid.

8. The Federal Government commits to pay N25,000 per month for three months starting from October, 2023 to 15 million households, including vulnerable pensioners.

The outcry against this probably paused it. It was a dumb agreement IMHO BTW.

9. The Federal Government will increase its initiatives on subsidized distribution of fertilizers to farmers across the country.

Over done.

10. The Federal Government should urge State Government through the National Economic Council and Governors Forum to implement wage award for their workers. Similar consideration should also be given to local government and private sector workers.

Done.

11. The Federal Government commits to the provision of funds as announced by the President on the 1st of August broadcast to the Nation for Micro and Small Scale Enterprises. The MSMEs beneficiaries should commit to the principle of decent jobs.

Done and ongoing.

12. A joint visitation will be made to the refineries to ascertain their rehabilitation status.

Done.

13. All parties commit to henceforth abide by the dictates of Social dialogue in all our future engagements.

Lol.

14. The NLC and TUC accept to suspend for 30 days the planned Indefinite Nationwide strike scheduled to begin, Tuesday, the 3rd of October, 2023.

This is not FG's part.

15. This Memorandum shall be filed with the relevant Court of competent jurisdiction within one (1) week as consent judgment by the Federal Government.

Again done.

As we can both see, there was no big deal or timeline here. Like i said, if you choose to continue arguing aimlessly, it's up to you. i'll be stopping here.
Re: NLC, TUC To Tinubu: We Are Not After Your Job, Fulfill Our Agreement by Image123(m): 5:56pm On Mar 03
bentenny:

For CNG timeline
https://businessday.ng/news/article/fg-set-to-roll-out-11500-cng-buses-orders-55000-kits/?amp=1

https://twitter.com/channelstv/status/1694279534927896581

For port-harcourt refinery timeline

https://www.thecable.ng/fg-port-harcourt-refinery-will-begin-operations-by-dec-well-stop-fuel-importation/amp

https://www.nairaland.com/7817143/port-harcourt-refinery-completed-december

If you need more on the timelines of the others let me know since you cannot do a simple research because of your political affiliation!

As you might have probably read the previous reply, these are FG plans and doings, irregardless of the labour union. An interview with Channels TV is not an agreement with Labour. You posted the so called 15 agreement points. And BTW, the links you posted showed that the supply and orders were already in place. On refineries, refineries working was not in the agreement that you posted. Your post talked about visiting the refineries to ascertain their rehabilitation status. That's number 12. So coming to strike that refinery is not working is not based on your so called agreement is agrement.
You have posted the agreement already, it has NO TIMELINES. Posting government plans as agreement will not make any further sense.

Your logic makes no sense!
Since they not the only voice,then allow them to peacefully protest or strike to know if they are not the only voice!
When the port-harcourt refinery becomes functional,will civil servants and labour union worker be the only ones that will benefit from it?
Will the CNG buses only allow labour union members in?
Nah wa ohh

On August 2, last year, the Labour Union protesters broke down the National Assembly gates and got away with it. Their protests usually involve barricading roads, beating workers, burning things and molesting people. It is usually a breakdown of peace, law, order and the economy. A sensible and responsible government will not continue to sit back and watch such. CNG and refineries will function because the government is working and spending a lot of money to fix it, not because Labour is doing Nsogbu Nsogbu. Work is seriously ongoing in making these happen irregardless of Labour.

Labour and TUC created labour party and it was only natural for them to throw their support for their flagbearer!
Besides,not every labour union nationwide supported LP!
Lagos state labour union supported Tinubu!
But that's in the past and should not be used as an evasive tact to distract us from the main issues!
The real issues are the agreements made between FG and organized labour which includes timelines!
You are saying 9 months is too small to protest or strike against a government forgetting that this same president within months after the inauguration of the Jonathan presidency had written a damning article against his leadership style using abusive and vulgar words against the president.....this same Tinubu was the head of a protest 'occupy nigeria' sponsored by the same labour union he is now throwing jabs at!

You said earlier that they were apolitical, lol. i said 4 TIMES call for nationwide protest, you must have seen that a couple of times. FOUR TIMES. Nobody is against reasonable protests and opposing views, but calling for a national shutdown of the economy four times in nine months, breakdown of law and order and even insinuating a military takeover, take back the country balablu will not be taken lying down by a sensible leader/President. Put 'four times' in your context.

If protests are well conducted like the one in Lagos where the protesters were actually protected and entertained by the police,would there be violent breakout?
Guy the elections are gone!
The president removed subsidy and floated naira!
Nigeria is sitting on a gun powder not because of protest but because majority of Nigerians have been thrown into hunger and do not know where the next meal will come from!
Their current plight is due to the ill-timed decision to not only remove subsidy without providing ameliorative measures to cushion the effect but also floating the naira knowing fulling well how low in value it is and the very fact that most of the products we consume are imported!
You cannot beat a child and ask it not to cry!
Even if labour doesn't protest or strike,the day the people decide in unison to come out and protest,there will be serious pandemonium and your president won't be able to stop what will happen!

It is not the government and security's job to be distracted and occupied with conducting peaceful protests and entertaining protesters. If labour and opposition doesn't incite people to protest, the country will be just fine. We have done a lot of suffering and smiling for decades, there will be no serious pandemonium and things will bounce back in record time. But when opposers continue to distract, fight back, curse, work against the country, and hope that the nation fails, then that is a different headache for the nation. i can guarantee you that the ruling class and the loser opposition will be unscathed; it is the masses that will suffer the mindlessness of the election losers and their attack dogs.

This is another irrelevant and illogical comment!
Firstly,there was an agreement which is binding on the FG to implement!
You cannot claim not to be aware of that agreement unless you have been sleeping under a rock for the past 6 months!
Nobody including organized labour have said anything about politics!
They are only asking that the FG implement measures that will give the people food on their table and ensure that life should be less of a burden for them.simple!
Unfortunately,a president that has practically done nothing but brought untold hardship to his people will choose the wrong forum to talk about politics as if he is afraid of the 2027 election!

No agreement with a timeline.
God sparing our lives, you will come back to these words and thoughts in 3 years time shaking your head at how wrong you have been about the government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Judiciary Workers Closed Down All Courts Nationwide / President Muhammadu Buhari, Past And Present (in Pictures) / Govs Lead Buhari’s Campaign Onslaught As State Coordinators

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.