Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:24 PM

Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained (26297 Views)

Court Orders Binance To Release Names, Details Of Nigerians Trading On Platform / Binance to stop Naira Services Amid Crackdown On Crypto Exchanges / ABCON: Bureaux De Change Tell FG To Ban Binance To Save Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by nlfpmod: 9:47pm On Mar 12
Nigeria is actively seeking information from Binance regarding its top 100 users in the country and all transaction history spanning the past six months, according to a Financial Times report.

This news overlaps with the revelation of the names of the two executives from the cryptocurrency exchange who were detained two weeks ago: Tigran Gambaryan, Binance’s head of investigations, and Nadeem Anjarwalla, the crypto platform’s regional manager for Africa, the Wired reported today.

Last month, Gambaryan, who was a former crypto-focused U.S. federal agent, and Anjarwalla had their passports confiscated and have been held in confinement at a government facility in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital. Their detainment is part of Nigeria’s broader crackdown on cryptocurrency exchanges, coinciding with questionable efforts by the government to revive the naira, the country’s national currency.

Before their detention, Gambaryan, a U.S. citizen, and Anjarwalla, a dual citizen of the U.K. and Kenya, responded to an invitation from the Nigerian government to discuss Binance operations and the restrictions imposed on the cryptocurrency exchange.

Nigeria’s central bank had expressed concerns about the loss of tax revenue from unregistered crypto exchanges. Additionally, it accused Binance of operating illegally and facilitating “illicit flows from sources and users who we cannot adequately identify,” amounting to $26 billion. As a result, a Bloomberg report said the detained executives may face charges related to currency manipulation, tax evasion and illegal operations.

However, according to their families, none of the executives have been formally charged with any criminal offenses as of today. The Financial Times reports that Nigeria’s anti-corruption agency was granted permission to detain both Binance executives for 14 days, which concluded on Tuesday. A proposed hearing to extend the court order is scheduled for Wednesday.

In response to this heightened regulatory scrutiny and contentious negotiation tactics in Nigeria, Binance discontinued its naira (NGN) services last week.

Nigeria’s request for Binance’s top users in the country is the new focal point in negotiations between the largest crypto platform and Africa’s top crypto market. Just last week, local reports claimed that Nigeria’s parliament threatened to issue a warrant of arrest for the company’s executives and summoned Binance CEO Richard Teng to provide explanations regarding investigations into the company’s alleged involvement in money laundering and terror financing.

Meanwhile, documents reviewed by FT reveal that Nigeria, through its national security adviser, has requested that Binance address any outstanding tax liabilities.

https://techcrunch.com/2024/03/12/nigeria-demands-binance-disclose-top-users-executives-remain-detained/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly90LmNvLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFOSDPqLBq-LylWT6_m4eDryd-hpLMdadWOiY3Nr9hSOKLA_VFACnP6E85O2SCE2r4SAHjsRry3n1KycoLOa4A0wZnqgQ2LOPlcuSWk29xV2jrO0W5-QzALjpBv9Z9SYkSFACcGvPfSWtcLFsfmwblvH1diaHnbIpCRdqnr4NjrU

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by Proddigeyy(m): 9:48pm On Mar 12
cool
Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by Massiveglory: 9:48pm On Mar 12
Blame binance
Blame emiefele
Blame peter obi
Blame aboki
Blame buhari
Blame pdp
Blame north

If you leave this cluless and criminal group of grab it and run with it confusionists, they will begin to blame Herbert Macaulay, Lord lugard , Nnamdi Azikwe and Ahamdu bello for their failures and deadness in the country.

157 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by koyeni(m): 9:51pm On Mar 12
What's this grin

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by ChiemellaHQ: 9:51pm On Mar 12
Nawa oo

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by Daniel7543: 9:51pm On Mar 12
Make Binance no disclose anything give government.
I dey among top 10 users.
I no want government wahala.
My money for Binance fit buy Nairaland (#) and Twitter (X).

no disclose anything give government.. I take God beg una

91 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by DryMouth: 9:51pm On Mar 12
Lol..
They won't release that information and they would be set free.
Nigeria is already a manipulated country.
Imagine suspending a senator that opened their nyash

114 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by franugo(m): 9:52pm On Mar 12
Wetin dem wan use am do?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by otunbakolawole(m): 9:52pm On Mar 12
Central Banks and commercial banks have had a monopolistic stranglehold on their customer’s money for centuries. And as we have seen with the Emefiele saga, Central banks and commercial banks are not shy about abusing our privileged trust.
Crypto destroy their monopoly by decentralizing and disintermediating financial transactions hence they will fight tooth and nail to hold onto their powers even as it fades away. Why detain those two? Unto what end?

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by tophempire: 9:52pm On Mar 12
WHY DO WE HAVE ICPC AND EFCC?
What is their job description¿

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by heykims(m): 9:52pm On Mar 12
I like this audacity, the gut of the Nigerian govt, enemies of Nigeria can go hug the transformer.
Anyone behind sabotaging our economy should be handled with iron hands regardless of their nationality.

315 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by lexy2014: 9:52pm On Mar 12
how will all this make the naira rise against the dollar?

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by Stevenson20: 9:52pm On Mar 12
They are doing as if they're fighting corruption. The names of terrorists and their sponsors UAE gave Nigerian government, did you people disclose their names?

Very stupid people in power

112 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by Creditalerts: 9:53pm On Mar 12
Media trial

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by CrownedPhoenix: 9:53pm On Mar 12
undecided
Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by inoki247: 9:53pm On Mar 12
Lol since the ban the Dollar jus stay for one place...

Make the Dollar try go down na abi he don reach bus stop ni...

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by sholikay(m): 9:53pm On Mar 12
This government sha wan collect their share from binance....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by Justinlean02(m): 9:53pm On Mar 12
I don't get the bias, hypocrisy and negativity filed with this platform. Everything positive about crypto never makes front pages, imagine BTC hitting ATH $69,000 since 2021 not a single thread about it here but make deep hit now every tom and dick will fallout with their fish brain

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by ATEAMS: 9:53pm On Mar 12
Indeed
Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by Montaque(m): 9:54pm On Mar 12
They should release the detained staff of Binance. Their detention didn't change anything these last week

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by Paraman: 9:54pm On Mar 12
Good one. No person or an organization is bigger than. Nigeria.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by elasticlala: 9:54pm On Mar 12
Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by Racoon(m): 9:54pm On Mar 12
The is just a useless and wasted effort by the government. Crypto have nothing to do with the staggering uselessness of the naira.

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by Faiththatworks(m): 9:54pm On Mar 12
Seriously,I totally disagree with the methodology the Nigerian Government is applying in dealing with Binance.
This is totally against the norms of business ethics,inviting foreigners for a meeting and thereafter detaining them without a charge for 14 days is totally demoralizing for any serious investor.
Although I totally disagree with the government,but I wrote some few weeks ago that Binance was involved in Economic Terriorism and their Operation was equal to that of Currency Bandits and Terriorist.
Binance was a major currency speculator,it really exploited the lack of stable regulation to undermine the Naira.
I daresay with Bitcoin nearing 75000$ to 1 BTC,I'm sure the Naira would have been close to 3000 naira on binance if it wasn't disabled on the Exchange.
My solution to this impasse is for Binance to comply with the government and provide the details of their top 100 users,while Government works out a solution that will allow binance continue it's operation in Nigeria.
I believe Government can impose a tax,maybe called crypto tax or even VAT on all transaction on the platform,I'm sure if it's handled in a responsible way,it can make more than a lot of money from the exchange.
I end by pleading with Government to please allow transaction on the binance platform.
God bless Nigeria........

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by jmoore(m): 9:54pm On Mar 12
Foolish APC Tinubu government chasing shadows.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by thesicilian: 9:54pm On Mar 12
Are we a dictatorship

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by Shinjawestern: 9:54pm On Mar 12
Stupid govt

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by MrCover: 9:54pm On Mar 12
Inukwa ooooo
Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by baronaaaire: 9:54pm On Mar 12
If clueless was a Govt, PBAT would have been the description

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by Watinhapen(m): 9:55pm On Mar 12
I don’t understand this unnecessary fuse about Binance. How does an app control dollar exchange in Nigeria??

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Asks Binance To Disclose Top 100 Users, Executives Remain Detained by LoveJesus87(m): 9:55pm On Mar 12
Daniel7543:
Make Binance no disclose anything give government.
I dey among top 10.
I no want government wahala.
I receive it too
I dey among top 10 too grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See How To Register As An Uber Partner In Lagos Or Abuja / The Promise Of Dangote’s $12bn Refinery / Chat With The New UBA Banker, LEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.