Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,438 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively (214860 Views)

These Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively / What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented / My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by sesanrota(m): 10:46am On Jul 29, 2012
Siena, i must really commend your effort on this thread, please my Xterra 2002 model has a gear problem and has been reworked but nothing changed, it does not start on drive like most auto, starts on 2 then i always take it back to drive when its steady. pls this is my question, i need a new gear box, whats is the price implication and where is ur station pls email me on sesanrota@hotmail.com
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by gulfer: 4:21pm On Jul 29, 2012
sesanrota: Siena, i must really commend your effort on this thread, please my Xterra 2002 model has a gear problem and has been reworked but nothing changed, it does not start on drive like most auto, starts on 2 then i always take it back to drive when its steady. pls this is my question, i need a new gear box, whats is the price implication and where is ur station pls email me on sesanrota@hotmail.com
Talk to Nissparts on the auto section.
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by spyroxy1(m): 4:36pm On Oct 09, 2012
Chynx: Nice one Siena. You ar too good!
Kindly advise me on this issue:
My car (Nissan Altima 2.5s 2002 model) no longer accelerates as usual. When driving normally, it always drags when I try to move faster except I step hard on d gas pedal then I get this roar and subsequent surge 4wrd with serious muscle.
I have serviced d injector, changed d fuel pump and washed d fuel filters, yet no improvement has been noticed. In addition, my car no swallows fuel more than I gozzle beer. Your professional advice will be very much welcome.

2ndly, I have always suffered dis noise from d front legs each time t drive on rough surfaces like inter-locking tiles. I have changed my 4 shock absorbers, lower arms and thyroids and painfully, d noise hasnt stopped.

Please help me out on this.
My email is c4mine@yahoo.com
May God bless u.

[size=20pt]Hello Chynx.. i have exactly similar story... mine is altima 2003 ... and behaves the same way as your car.My car gulped 50ltr of fuel for a to & fro trip to Ibadan from lagos. Please were you able to fix it... and help me out... what did u do please.. abeg ooo[/size]
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by cjpanta: 11:22pm On Oct 20, 2012
I just bought a Toyota Avalon 2001 model. The fuel consumption is crazy. And it also emits black smoke when the engine is fired. I am wondering what the issue is exactly. When I drove from Laagos to Bayelsa, I used two full tanks of fuel which is about 160 liters. Pls I need help. I service the car regularly
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by kaykay27(m): 4:48pm On Oct 22, 2012
Hi Siena,

Good job U re doing.

please advice. does this apply to Honda brands only. My Corolla 2005 came with a 195/65R15 tyres and just ordered 4pcs of 205/65R15. Will this have any effect on the fuel condumption?

Please advice.

1 Like

Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by tentsetal: 5:35pm On Jan 11, 2013
Hi Sienna,
Please help! My Toyota Sienna 1999 CE model consumes a lot of fuel. No error codes after running OBD II scan. Just bought it november last year and discovered the silencer, from the manifold end to the tail pipe has a lot of rust. All noticed leakages on the silencer has been welded yet fuel consumption is still high. Catalyst has bbeen checked and still intact. What do I do to reduce the fuel consumption or bring it back to normal. Also the injector and nozzle are working well.
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by tsekeok(m): 6:22pm On Jan 14, 2013
if your check engine light is on ,check for the oxygen sensor,catalytic converter and the throtle position sensor.You may need to change them.
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by tunaprex: 3:04pm On Jan 16, 2013
I changed my 2005 Toyota matrix XR 4WD tires 4rm d factory recommended P205/55R16 89H to P205/60R16 89H. Of course, I found out dat I've deviated 4rm d factory recommendation long after I changed it. Please I'll like 2 know if dis will have any effect on the car.
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jan 16, 2013
tunaprex: I changed my 2005 Toyota matrix XR 4WD tires 4rm d factory recommended P205/55R16 89H to P205/60R16 89H. Of course, I found out dat I've deviated 4rm d factory recommendation long after I changed it. Please I'll like 2 know if dis will have any effect on the car.

It will cause slightly higher fuel consumption in traffic / slow driving. But will be better on fuel at highway speeds.
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 16, 2013
tentsetal: Hi Sienna,
Please help! My Toyota Sienna 1999 CE model consumes a lot of fuel. No error codes after running OBD II scan. Just bought it november last year and discovered the silencer, from the manifold end to the tail pipe has a lot of rust. All noticed leakages on the silencer has been welded yet fuel consumption is still high. Catalyst has bbeen checked and still intact. What do I do to reduce the fuel consumption or bring it back to normal. Also the injector and nozzle are working well.

What engine size does your car have? When you say your car consumes a lot of fuel, what exactly is a lot? How many miles do you get to a full tank?

What engine size was your previous car?
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by daefx: 10:32pm On Jan 16, 2013
Hi siena, I am considering buying a tokunbo Volvo v40 1996 manual drive in next few days, pls want to find out what major things do I look out for before issuing ma check. Pls e mail me at olaleyeaustine@airtelng.blackberry.com. Thanx
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by latifatai: 12:40am On Jan 17, 2013
@siena[b][/b]
I just bought 1999 toyota camry and discovered the fuel consumption is outrageous. I'm scared about quack mechanics touching anytin on the car, however these are my observations:

Both fans come on immediately d key is turn to on position
The temperature hardly leave the lower limit position.
It also indicates check engine light.

What do u think I do cos I changed car simply because my former car consumes fuel excessively and my mechanics help to spoil it further and I'm really scared allowing any of them touching my car
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by aisog: 2:08am On Jan 17, 2013
latifatai: @siena[b][/b]
I just bought 1999 toyota camry and discovered the fuel consumption is outrageous. I'm scared about quack mechanics touching anytin on the car, however these are my observations:

Both fans come on immediately d key is turn to on position
The temperature hardly leave the lower limit position.
It also indicates check engine light.

What do u think I do cos I changed car simply because my former car consumes fuel excessively and my mechanics help to spoil it further and I'm really scared allowing any of them touching my car
I think your thermostat might have been removed and your fan connected permanently...
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by ceonuchukwu(m): 6:02pm On Jul 28, 2013
I saw your posts on nairaland on the issue of fuel consumption.
I've an Avensis 05 model. I use 205/65 tyres instead of 195. I've noticed its mpg is not constant and depends on where fuel is bought. I do between 90-120km/hr and travel a lot. From Keffi to Akure I use about 37litres which gives about 13km/litre but anytime I buy fuel at Akure NNPC Mega station I achieve less. I've noticed this over 4times on my journey through that route.
What can be responsible for this? Type of fuel? I need this car to achieve about 14km/l on a highway what can I do to achieve this?
Do I need to change the tyres?
How do one know when the airflow meter is bad?

How much does corolla auto transmission go for now? Mine is the 2007 japan xli model 1.6l engine.
Thanks and God bless.

1 Like

Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by cardoctor(m): 12:24am On Jul 29, 2013
Siena: Things that can make a car thirstier than normal:

01) Dirty / clogged air filter.
02) Incorrect ignition timing. *
03) Under-inflated tyres (higher rolling resistance).
04) Binding brakes.
05) Leaking fuel injectors.
06) Blowing exhaust system.
07) Faulty MAF (mass air flow meter).*
08) Faulty CTS (coolant temperature switch).*
08) Faulty o2 sensor (Lambda).*
09) Thermostat stuck open, or removed by some dodgy mechanic. Over cooled engine.
10) Split / perished vacuum hoses, engine drawing in unmetered air.*

I would suggest an OBD scan, your '03 Honda Accord is fully OBD II compliant. All the items marked with an asterisk will normally trigger an engine check light (CEL). It would help too, if you can recall when you noticed the higher than normal fuel consumption. Did it occur after any work was carried out on the car? The thermostat is an area I would look into - if it's stuck open (or it's been removed) the engine will never reach its optimum operating temperature. The CTS will sense the engine is not hot, and the ECU will send more fuel through the injectors as a result. This is done by altering the duty cycle (the amount of time the injectors are held open will be longer).

Tyre pressures are also important, if the pressures are too low, the rolling resistance will place more load on the transmission, then the engine will work harder. The same goes for brakes that are binding (sticking on).

Nothing more to add. Seperb write up and analysis.

2 Likes

Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by kingschild123(m): 2:27pm On Jul 29, 2013
An unexplained increase in fuel consumption
by your car costs you money and is a symptom
of potentially expensive problems. Identifying
the reasons your car is burning more gas than it
should and correcting them will save you
money and help you to avoid costly repairs.
Familiarizing yourself with the more common
causes of poor fuel economy is a smart way to
help keep your car running as economically and
efficiently as possible.
1. Fuel leaks
Fuel leaks can cause a sudden drop in
fuel economy and create a potentially
dangerous fire hazard. You should
suspect a fuel leak if you smell a strong
gasoline odor near the vehicle or notice
unexplained wet spots on the ground
underneath your car.
2. Dragging brakes
Brakes can malfunction, causing a
condition where they do not fully release.
This increases the load on the engine,
forcing it to work harder and burn more
gas. Suspect dragging brakes if you
notice excessive gray dust on wheels and
tires, or the accelerator must be depressed
farther than usual to achieve normal
driving speeds.
3. Vacuum leaks
Vacuum leaks cause a car to burn more
gas than it should by introducing
excessive air into the engine, unbalancing
the fuel to air mixture. The engine
compensates for this uneven fuel to air
ratio by introducing more gasoline into
the mixture to compensate for the
increased air volume. A vacuum leak will
typically cause rough idle, poor
acceleration and misfires at operating
speeds. Cracked hoses, worn out gaskets
and loose fittings are common causes of
vacuum leaks.
4. Clogged air filter
Air filters trap dirt particles, preventing
them from entering the engine. Over time
the air filter will become clogged with dirt
particles, reducing its ability to allow the
free flow of air into the engine.
Symptoms of a clogged air filter are
burning more gas than normal and poor
acceleration.
5. Worn spark plugs
Worn spark plugs reduce an engines
ability to burn all of the gas in the
combustion chamber. Some of the gas
remains unburned and is expelled into the
exhaust. This reduces power, causing the
vehicle to use more gas to do the same
amount of work, lowering fuel efficiency.
Worn spark plugs cause misfiring,
reduced power, poor acceleration and
reduced fuel economy.
6. Underinflated tires
Tires that are not fully inflated increase
resistance to rolling, requiring more
energy to move the car forward. The
engine has to work harder to overcome
this increased resistance, resulting in the
car burning more gas than it should. Tire
inflation should be checked regularly
with a tire pressure gauge and kept at the
manufactures inflation specifications.
7. Driving habits
Aggressive driving, jack rabbit starts,
exceeding normal speed limits and
excessive idling increase fuel
consumption and should be avoided.
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by klipse: 1:34pm On Oct 06, 2013
Hello guys. I love this thread.
Here's my issue. I just bought a honda accord 2008 4cyl and i noticed that fuel consumption is alot higher than my previous 03. It guzzles alot fuel. Each time i accelerate it makes a loud roar like and open air intake, the kind of sound you hear in race cars with turbo chargers. The dealer said it is due to the pimped up exhaust. But i don't hear the sound from the rear but from around the dashboard and below. I also noticed that the air intake pipe that is supposed to run from the front grill on top of the radiator to the air filter is missing. My mech said its a missing catalyst but i suspect it has sometime to do with the missing pipe and the loud roar. Ps i hate noisy cars. Oh and when i accelerate on highways i can literally see the fuel needle drop.
Please help.
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by Nobody: 3:48pm On Oct 06, 2013
klipse: Hello guys. I love this thread.
Here's my issue. I just bought a honda accord 2008 4cyl and i noticed that fuel consumption is alot higher than my previous 03. It guzzles alot fuel. Each time i accelerate it makes a loud roar like and open air intake, the kind of sound you hear in race cars with turbo chargers. The dealer said it is due to the pimped up exhaust. But i don't hear the sound from the rear but from around the dashboard and below. I also noticed that the air intake pipe that is supposed to run from the front grill on top of the radiator to the air filter is missing. My mech said its a missing catalyst but i suspect it has sometime to do with the missing pipe and the loud roar. Ps i hate noisy cars. Oh and when i accelerate on highways i can literally see the fuel needle drop.
Please help.

When you say your '08 Honda Accord's gas consumption is high, you need to be more specific. What would you class as high? What engine size is it, and what engine size was your previous '03 model?

The roar around the dash area could well be an exhaust leak, that should be checked. The Accord being FWD has a flexi pipe linking the exhaust mid-section to the front, covered with braided steel (in most cases). Make sure the flexi section (corrugated steel) has no cracks.

The air intake pipe from the lower section of the airbox to the grille is your cold intake. If it's missing, your engine will be drawing in hot air from the engine bay. Cold air is denser, and allows a more complete fuel burn. It CAN affect gas mileage adversely. I would get it replaced, then re-assess gas consumption.

1 Like

Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by simdam500(m): 9:52pm On Dec 06, 2013
Caburator... Lmao

1 Like

Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by solasalako(m): 9:53pm On Dec 06, 2013
3.0 ltr engine...... chairman go and check the fuel injection line / air flow meter
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by kennytidistar(m): 9:54pm On Dec 06, 2013
due for service
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by ibe9ja: 9:58pm On Dec 06, 2013
OP, stop bothering yourself. Nothing is wrong with your car. A 3.0L engine must consume fuel na... The engine is a big engine and requires big food. If you want low consumption consider buying at most, a 1.8L, dats all. Anything from 2.0L upward means you are ready to be purchasing fuel as big ogas do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by nairaman66(m): 9:58pm On Dec 06, 2013
Five things!

* FUEL FILTER

* FUEL PUMP

* EXHAUST PIPE

* FUEL INJECTION- ENGINE COMPACTMENT

* AIR FLOW METER
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by xp17(m): 10:01pm On Dec 06, 2013

Rich fuel mixture is caused when the air-fuel ratio is not correct. This is the mass ratio of air to fuel present during combustion. Some symptoms of a rich mixture include excessive soot on the exhaust tip and a noticeable drop in fuel efficiency
1 check the PSI of ur tyres, Mk show it thesame as d car manual specification
2. Use nitrogen in ur tyre instead of regular air,
3. Check ur catalytic converter , Mk sure its not clogged,
4. Check for vacuum leaks,
5. Troubleshoot with obd scan

Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by olanyte: 10:03pm On Dec 06, 2013
pls check the brain box this is exact problem that my own Honda is giving me b4 i change it,and is wking well now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by koboko69: 10:04pm On Dec 06, 2013
@ OP are u sure ur 'akara' (catalyst) have not been removed? If ur check light is on....something might be wrong electrically or ur catalyst tampered with. I knw exactly what I'm saying. Tire size and under inflation actually affects consumption of fuel....but not as bad as the picture u are painting.
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by disloman(m): 10:05pm On Dec 06, 2013

04) Binding brakes.
09) Thermostat stuck open, or removed by some dodgy mechanic. Over cooled engine.

I would suggest an OBD scan, your '03 Honda Accord is fully OBD II compliant. All the items marked with an asterisk will normally trigger an engine check light (CEL). It would help too, if you can recall when you noticed the higher than normal fuel consumption. Did it occur after any work was carried out on the car? The thermostat is an area I would look into - if it's stuck open (or it's been removed) the engine will never reach its optimum operating temperature. The CTS will sense the engine is not hot, and the ECU will send more fuel through the injectors as a result. This is done by altering the duty cycle (the amount of time the injectors are held open will be longer).

Tyre pressures are also important, if the pressures are too low, the rolling resistance will place more load on the transmission, then the engine will work harder. The same goes for brakes that are binding (sticking on).
@Siena:U r right bt take a look at lifespan of d engine.Has d engine bn changed b4?If nt,that's may b d cause N 3.0L engive is a V6 engine.Let mi advise u d steps to take.(1)service d fuel line(injector nozzles,suction filter,replace spark plugs(check. D clearance of the plugs),air filter.After u've done that n no positive result,Change d engine shikena.V6 engines r very delicate n expensive to maintain.
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by disloman(m): 10:06pm On Dec 06, 2013

04) Binding brakes.

@Siena:U r right bt take a look at lifespan of d engine.Has d engine bn changed b4?If nt,that's may b d cause N 3.0L engive is a V6 engine.Let mi advise u d steps to take.(1)service d fuel line(injector nozzles,suction filter,replace spark plugs(check. D clearance of the plugs),air filter.(2)Check if ur catalyst had not bn removed.After u've done that n no positive result,Change d engine shikena.V6 engines r very delicate n expensive to maintain.
Re: What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively by disloman(m): 10:09pm On Dec 06, 2013
j diadem: [font=Lucida Sans Unicode]In addition to all that has been said, consider the weight of oil used. If intended denotes 20 or 30 weight oil and you fit in 20w-50 or something in that order, you re going to have parasitic drag in your chamber. The oil is too heavy and driveability suffers. Consider fuel treatment/stabiliser also and your source of fuel purchase. You can control and slowly eliminate port fuel deposits by using these treatments every month. If the gasoline sold where you are contains ethanol, in the long run, your vehicle will trap in moisture in the gas chamber that might eventually lead to water. You can figure what might happen over an extended period of time.[/font]

i thought some experts said we don't actually need any form of treatment (fuel or engine oil) that it destroys the engine.
can someone clarify this - Siena, what's your take on this.
not advisable.its scam.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help.my Honda Crv Drive "d" Indicator Light Blinks (Now solved) / BMW Owners' Forum / Club-Lexus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.