Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,157 members, 7,825,615 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? (2331 Views)

Does This Verse Mean Jesus Is God Himself? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: Woman Was Not God's Original Idea (video) / Messi Is Not “god” – Pope Francis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 10:35am On Mar 29
Ken4Christ:

God, The Word and The Spirit
So is the 'word' and 'spirit' not God?
Why the difference?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 10:36am On Mar 29
Ken4Christ:

Jesus is the God we see. The father is the God we don't see. And you can't separate them. They are one.
So when Jesus was on earth, where was the father?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Ken4Christ: 1:52pm On Mar 29
Michael547:

So when Jesus was on earth, where was the father?

The Father was in heaven and he is still in heaven and has always been in heaven.
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Ken4Christ: 1:56pm On Mar 29
Michael547:

So is the 'word' and 'spirit' not God?
Why the difference?

The Word is God and the Spirit is also God. But they each have their specific roles.

God does nothing apart from his Word and it is done by the power of his Spirit.
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 2:16pm On Mar 29
Ken4Christ:

The Word is God and the Spirit is also God. But they each have their specific roles.

God does nothing apart from his Word and it is done by the power of his Spirit.
So why is one of the God named 'word' and the other God named 'spirit'
Does that not imply that they are three Gods with different names?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 2:17pm On Mar 29
Ken4Christ:

The Father was in heaven and he is still in heaven and has always been in heaven.
Meaning that the father and Jesus is not the same right?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Ken4Christ: 5:22pm On Mar 29
Michael547:

Meaning that the father and Jesus is not the same right?

Jesus is the express image of the father who also exist separately but does nothing of his own agenda. To answer your question. They are not the same.
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by TruthHurts1(m): 12:01pm On Apr 01
But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
Matthew 24:36

You will also find the same statement in Mark 13:32
But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

The mistake you have made which most people make is to think that the verb know or knoweth means "ignorant", however given the context here, It doesn't mean ignorant.

It actually means choose not to make known

This is same word that is used in 1st Corinthians Chapter 2 verses 1 to 2.

And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified

Does that mean Paul literally did not know about anything except the crucifixion of Christ? No it doesn’t because that would mean that Paul didn't know anything else about the people he was writing to, like he didn't know their names, didn't know their ethnicity etc,

When Paul says “All I know is Jesus crucified and I know nothing else” what he means is, I chose not
to make known to you anything but Jesus Christ crucified
. It's the same word used in Mark 13:32 and Matthew 24:36.

Just like Paul knew a lot more but chose not to reveal the things he knew, what Jesus is actually saying in Matthew 24:36 and Mark 13:32 is that the day or hour is not for any man to make known; nor is it for the angels to make it known or to reveal nor is it My Prerogative as the Son to reveal it. Only the Father can reveal it.

Jesus is saying that it is the Father's prerogative to determine when the hour will be made known to the whole of Creation.

Michael547:

How come the only Almighty true God who is Jesus says that the father is greater than him in John 14:28. And that he does not know the hour of Judgment in Matt 24:36?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 4:59pm On Apr 01
TruthHurts1:

But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
Matthew 24:36

You will also find the same statement in Mark 13:32
But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

The mistake you have made which most people make is to think that the verb know or knoweth means "ignorant", however given the context here, It doesn't mean ignorant.

It actually means choose not to make known

This is same word that is used in 1st Corinthians Chapter 2 verses 1 to 2.

And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified

Does that mean Paul literally did not know about anything except the crucifixion of Christ? No it doesn’t because that would mean that Paul didn't know anything else about the people he was writing to, like he didn't know their names, didn't know their ethnicity etc,

When Paul says “All I know is Jesus crucified and I know nothing else” what he means is, I chose not
to make known to you anything but Jesus Christ crucified
. It's the same word used in Mark 13:32 and Matthew 24:36.

Just like Paul knew a lot more but chose not to reveal the things he knew, what Jesus is actually saying in Matthew 24:36 and Mark 13:32 is that the day or hour is not for any man to make known; nor is it for the angels to make it known or to reveal nor is it My Prerogative as the Son to reveal it. Only the Father can reveal it.

Jesus is saying that it is the Father's prerogative to determine when the hour will be made known to the whole of Creation.

Oga nawa for you oo....so you believe that Jesus said the father had the prerogative to determine the hour and you still dey argue say Jesus know the hour when He has told you that he does not know.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by TruthHurts1(m): 7:30pm On Apr 01
I don't know how much clearer I can make it for you.

Jesus electing to leave the duty of making known or declaring the last hour to His Father, is consistent with other Scripture.

For example, Jesus had earlier told His disciples that the Day of the Lord would come as a "Thief in the Night." In other words, it was going to take the entire world by surprise.

Matthew 24:43, “Understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into,”

1 Thessalonians 5:2, “You know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.”

In 2 Peter 3:10, similar wording is used, as “the day of the Lord will come like a thief.“

Therefore if Jesus had made known or declared the Day after He had earlier told them that it was meant to be a surprise, He would have been guilty of contradicting Himself

Michael547:

Oga nawa for you oo....so you believe that Jesus said the father had the prerogative to determine the hour and you still dey argue say Jesus know the hour when He has told you that he does not know.

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 8:55pm On Apr 01
TruthHurts1:
I don't know how much clearer I can make it for you.

Jesus electing to leave the duty of making known or declaring the last hour to His Father, is consistent with other Scripture.

For example, Jesus had earlier told His disciples that the Day of the Lord would come as a "Thief in the Night." In other words, it was going to take the entire world by surprise.

Matthew 24:43, “Understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into,”

1 Thessalonians 5:2, “You know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.”

In 2 Peter 3:10, similar wording is used, as “the day of the Lord will come like a thief.“

Therefore if Jesus had made known or declared the Day after He had earlier told them that it was meant to be a surprise, He would have been guilty of contradicting Himself

So how does that deny the fact that Jesus said he did not know the hour?
Why are you insisting he knew the hour?
So does him knowing the hour and saying he does not know it not mean that he was lying?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by TruthHurts1(m): 10:47am On Apr 02
It doesn't deny that Jesus said He did not know the hour.

All I did was explain WHAT Jesus meant when He used the word "know"

I explained that in the unique context in which the word was used by Jesus in both Matthew 24:36 and Mark 13:32, it doesn't mean "ignorance" which is how you and other non Christians interprete it.

Sometimes it can mean having knowledge but refusing to declare it.

Michael547:

So how does that deny the fact that Jesus said he did not know the hour?
Why are you insisting he knew the hour?
So does him knowing the hour and saying he does not know it not mean that he was lying?

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 12:47pm On Apr 02
TruthHurts1:
It doesn't deny that Jesus said He did not know the hour.

All I did was explain WHAT Jesus meant when He used the word "know"

I explained that in the unique context in which the word was used by Jesus in both Matthew 24:36 and Mark 13:32, it doesn't mean "ignorance" which is how you and other non Christians interprete it.

Sometimes it can mean having knowledge but refusing to declare it.

So what is your point exactly?
I want you to stay one place.
Did Jesus Christ know the hour of judgment?
Yes or no?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by TruthHurts1(m): 10:02pm On Apr 02
Yes, He does. Scripture even tells us that He knows ALL things

John 16:30

Now we know that You know all things, and have no need for anyone to question You; by this we believe that You came from God.”

John 21:17

He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.” Jesus *said to him, “Tend My sheep.

Michael547:

Yes or no?

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 10:05pm On Apr 02
TruthHurts1:
Yes, He does. Scripture even tells us that He knows ALL things

John 16:30

Now we know that You know all things, and have no need for anyone to question You; by this we believe that You came from God.”

John 21:17

He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.” Jesus *said to him, “Tend My sheep.

Oga what about the angels, do they know the hour of judgment?
Yes or no?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by TruthHurts1(m): 5:12am On Apr 03
No, they don't know the Hour because they are divine.

Angels are creations just like you and I.

Angels worship God and carry out His will on earth (Psalm 103:20). Like humans, angels possess limited knowledge about the End Times (Matthew 24:36), although the Bible indicates that they have an overall greater knowledge and higher rank than humans (Hebrews 2:7–9; Mark 13:32).

Michael547:

Oga what about the angels, do they know the hour of judgment?
Yes or no?

2 Likes

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 5:42am On Apr 03
TruthHurts1:
No, they don't know the Hour because they are divine.

Angels are creations just like you and I.

Angels worship God and carry out His will on earth (Psalm 103:20). Like humans, angels possess limited knowledge about the End Times (Matthew 24:36), although the Bible indicates that they have an overall greater knowledge and higher rank than humans (Hebrews 2:7–9; Mark 13:32).

😁😁😁😁
Do you see that your logic is flawed.
Jesus said that he did not know the hour of judgment just as 'nobody' knew, neither the 'angels', but you have insisted that he knew.
Oga how does that even make any sense?
You've just been twisting that verse up and down with Logic that has not been consistent.
You've said to 'know' means to make 'known' in that context.
So how did you arrive at the conclusion that the angels did not know the hour?
Can't we say that Jesus too was saying the angels knew the hour but were not required to make known the day just like everyone including Jesus himself?
I knew you were going to shoot yourself in the foot with your inconsistent logic😁😁.
Down below is your explanation of the verse.

1 Share

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:06am On Apr 03
Michael547:

Yes or no?

There are two things regarding the judgment:

Season and hour.

Regarding the season Jesus knew very well that is why he talked about what will be happening during that SEASON:

“For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress. Then people will hand you over to tribulation and will kill you, and you will be hated by all the nations on account of my name. Then, too, many will be stumbled and will betray one another and will hate one another. Many false prophets will arise and mislead many; and because of the increasing of lawlessness, the love of the greater number will grow cold. But the one who has endured to the end will be saved. And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come" Matthew 24:7-14

But regarding the HOUR or DAY that JEHOVAH will choose to order His son to start destroying the evildoers Jesus didn't know.

The reason why he didn't know is because during creation Jesus was with his father as the one doing the work while taking instructions from his father and out of all the things made Jesus so much love humans the most {Proverbs 8:31} so when he became human and walked among sinners Jesus was so happy and overjoyed that his interest in humans was not misplaced.
WHY?
Because despite all the background damage Satan has caused to render mankind faithless Jesus still found some humans who love truth and were ready to give up everything they had for the love of truth {Luke 18:28} so he was willing to share whatever he knew with them as his friends as in everything his father has told him in secret! John 15:15

No wonder his father never revealed to him the day or hour because with the way Jesus loves humans he would have revealed it to his friends! smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Top Hamas Leader's Son Converts To Christianity / Bizarre: Lagos Pastor Impregnated His Own Daughter Twice / Healing And Deliverance On Nairaland By The Power Of God In The Name Of Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.