Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,181 members, 7,811,457 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:57 AM

If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? (2211 Views)

Does This Verse Mean Jesus Is God Himself? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: Woman Was Not God's Original Idea (video) / Messi Is Not “god” – Pope Francis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Steep: 4:17pm On Mar 20
If Jesus calls the father " the only true God" does that mean Jesus is not God?

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

In Jesus prayer to his father, he asked the father to glorify him so that he will in turn glorify the father.
Not that Jesus has not being glorifying the father but Jesus wanted to glorify his father more and more.
Jesus glorified his father with his life, his miracles, his teachings and his death. Also after his resurrection Jesus continued to glorify his father, Today Jesus brings glory to his father as he had always done.
The father is glorified when he sees the life, the character of his son in we who are Christians.
Everyday as we grow towards maturity in christ Jesus, as the character of christ continue to develop in us, we bring glory to God our Father. Now to the question,
If Jesus describe the father as the only true God does that mean he is not God?

3 Likes

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by WritingDavid1(m): 4:45pm On Mar 20
Jesus is God… However we always need to understand that in scripture Jesus speaks as both God and as man (owing to the fact that he has two natures) That is why speaking as God, the same Jesus said “to have seen me is to have seen the father” “I and the father are one”

3 Likes

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Steep: 4:48pm On Mar 20
In the Trinity, the father, Son and Holy Spirit do not have same office or position.

The Father has the office or position as the authority of God. Hence he is called God or " The God" he ordains all things, the father ordains the Son to be the saviour,ruler and judge of all things, The father presdestinates sons to come into fellowship with him.

"The word" reveals God, creates hence called the word of God all of the fathers plans, will and decisions can only be fulfilled by the office of the Son. For example it was the father's will for all things to be created but it could only be fulfilled through the Son, it was the father's plan and will for us to be saved but it can only be fulfilled through and in Christ hence Jesus is the only way to be saved.

The Holy Spirit is the power of God he acts base on the authority and will of the father and Son hence he is called the Spirit of the Father or the Spirit of the Son sometimes the Spirit of christ.

The unique offices of the Trinity was stated by Paul in ephesians.

Ephesians 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

1 Corinthians 8:5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Paul is describing the offices of The father, Son and Holy Spirit.
The father is called called the One God
Jesus the Son is called the One Lord
The the Holy ghost as the one Spirit.

So when Jesus was called the father the only true God he was alluding to the father's position as God but however there are other entities who are being paraded or are parading themselves as God, for example Satan is called the God of this world because he is usurping the position or office of the father but he is not God but mere creature.
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Steep: 4:58pm On Mar 20
In position, the father is called "The God" in Greek it is translated as theon.
That is why in John 1vv1, John said in the beginning was logos, the logos was with theon (The God) and the logos was theos (God).

But, however, The father, Son and Holy Spirit are one God, meaning the have one divine essence or being.
What this mean is that whatsoever, the father can do, the Son and the Holy Spirit can also do.
The father is omniscience, omnipresent and omnipotent, he is untreated and eternal, infinite in wisdom, perfect, and on and on. So also the Son is and also the Holy ghost, because they are one God but, when it comes to their operations they function differently but complimentary and there exist a unique relationship between the " The God" the "the word of God" this relationship is a father- Son relationship hence, the word is the Son of God.
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Steep: 6:37pm On Mar 20
WritingDavid1:
Jesus is God… However we always need to understand that in scripture Jesus speaks as both God and as man (owing to the fact that he has two natures) That is why speaking as God, the same Jesus said “to have seen me is to have seen the father” “I and the father are one”
Jesus has two natures both natures are united as one ( hypostatic union) but however The father is a distinct person from Jesus.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 7:57pm On Mar 20
WritingDavid1:
So how can Jesus who is an immortal and eternal God that is equal to the father, become a creation and die?
How come he is referred to as 'God the son's instead of God the father?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 7:59pm On Mar 20
Steep:
Jesus has two natures both natures are united as one ( hypostatic union) but however The father is a distinct person from Jesus.
What are the two nature's of Jesus? If Jesus is distinct from the Father, How come they are equals?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 8:01pm On Mar 20
Steep:
In the Trinity, the father, Son and Holy Spirit do not have same office or position.

The Father has the office or position as the authority of God. Hence he is called God or " The God" he ordains all things, the father ordains the Son to be the saviour,ruler and judge of all things, The father presdestinates sons to come into fellowship with him.

"The word" reveals God, creates hence called the word of God all of the fathers plans, will and decisions can only be fulfilled by the office of the Son. For example it was the father's will for all things to be created but it could only be fulfilled through the Son, it was the father's plan and will for us to be saved but it can only be fulfilled through and in Christ hence Jesus is the only way to be saved.

The Holy Spirit is the power of God he acts base on the authority and will of the father and Son hence he is called the Spirit of the Father or the Spirit of the Son sometimes the Spirit of christ.

The unique offices of the Trinity was stated by Paul in ephesians.

Ephesians 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

1 Corinthians 8:5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Paul is describing the offices of The father, Son and Holy Spirit.
The father is called called the One God
Jesus the Son is called the One Lord
The the Holy ghost as the one Spirit.

So when Jesus was called the father the only true God he was alluding to the father's position as God but however there are other entities who are being paraded or are parading themselves as God, for example Satan is called the God of this world because he is usurping the position or office of the father but he is not God but mere creature.
Since we know the name of the son to be Jesus, What is the name of the father and holy spirit?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 8:03pm On Mar 20
Steep:
In position, the father is called "The God" in Greek it is translated as theon.
That is why in John 1vv1, John said in the beginning was logos, the logos was with theon (The God) and the logos was theos (God).

But, however, The father, Son and Holy Spirit are one God, meaning the have one divine essence or being.
What this mean is that whatsoever, the father can do, the Son and the Holy Spirit can also do.
The father is omniscience, omnipresent and omnipotent, he is untreated and eternal, infinite in wisdom, perfect, and on and on. So also the Son is and also the Holy ghost, because they are one God but, when it comes to their operations they function differently but complimentary and there exist a unique relationship between the " The God" the "the word of God" this relationship is a father- Son relationship hence, the word is the Son of God.
If the Son is equal to the father in qualities, why is he called a 'son'? How can an immortal and eternal God become a creation and die? Does that mean that the Father can die also?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Expanse2020(m): 10:23pm On Mar 20
WritingDavid1:
So did the JESUS/God really Know he will died on the cross..
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:27pm On Mar 20
Why all these questions?

Don't you guys know he's just mimicking what he was told?
How do you expect him to answer all these questions when his teachers can't try it? undecided
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by FxMasterz: 11:01pm On Mar 20
Expanse2020:

So did the JESUS/God really Know he will died on the cross..

Yes He did. His purpose for coming into the world was to die for sins. It was long prophesied .That's why John called Him 'The Lamb of God which takes away the sins of the world."

Long before the crucifixion, Jesus on many occasions told His disciples that He'll die and rise again. On one such occasion, Peter was rebuking Him and telling Him He would not die. He rebuked Peter and said "Get thee behind me Satan, for you do not love the things of God but the things of man" Jesus knew exactly what His purpose was, and when that time came for the purpose to be fulfilled, He asked the Father to glorify Him "with the glory I had with You before the foundation of the world."

I'n John 10:17-18, while His ministry was still at its early stage, He told His Jews:

"The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”

Jesus willingly laid down His life for you on the cross so that through Him you might have eternal life.

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Steep: 4:02am On Mar 21
Michael547:

What are the two nature's of Jesus? If Jesus is distinct from the Father, How come they are equals?
His humanity and is divinity. Jesus is same God with the father.
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Steep: 4:06am On Mar 21
Michael547:

Since we know the name of the son to be Jesus, What is the name of the father and holy spirit?
God reveals himself in the old testament, with different names, God Almighty and the "I am", the father Son and holy Spirit has one name whuch is his character. which means God's name is his character but Jesus christ is the Son's human name.
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Steep: 4:08am On Mar 21
Michael547:

If the Son is equal to the father in qualities, why is he called a 'son'? How can an immortal and eternal God become a creation and die? Does that mean that the Father can die also?
He has a unique relationship as the Son. Yes is equal one God with the Father but has a different relationship with the father.
The scripture tells us God is love meaning love is the nature of God, the Father, Son and Spirit shows us how love is expressed within the Godhead.
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 7:16am On Mar 21
Steep:
His humanity and is divinity. Jesus is same God with the father.
What is the meaning of 'the father is distinct from the son'?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 7:18am On Mar 21
Steep:
He has a unique relationship as the Son. Yes is equal one God with the Father but has a different relationship with the father.
The scripture tells us God is love meaning love is the nature of God, the Father, Son and Spirit shows us how love is expressed within the Godhead.
How come Jesus is a son? Why can't the father also be a son? How come that Jesus who is an immortal and eternal God in heaven just like the father was able to become a creation and die? Does that mean that the father can become a creation and die also?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 7:30am On Mar 21
Steep:
God reveals himself in the old testament, with different names, God Almighty and the "I am", the father Son and holy Spirit has one name whuch is his character. which means God's name is his character but Jesus christ is the Son's human name.
Where does the scripture refers to Jesus and the holy spirit as God Almighty and 'I am'?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Steep: 7:47am On Mar 21
Michael547:

What is the meaning of 'the father is distinct from the son'?
It means the father and the Son are not the same person.

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Steep: 8:04am On Mar 21
Michael547:

How come Jesus is a son? Why can't the father also be a son? How come that Jesus who is an immortal and eternal God in heaven just like the father was able to become a creation and die? Does that mean that the father can become a creation and die also?
God does not change. The person of the father is not the person of the Son and holy ghost, they are different and it is fixed because God's nature does not change.
You seem to think that Jesus Jesus divinity changed, No, Jesus divine nature as God does not change, he only added the human nature.
When Jesus died he only died in the flesh.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

If the father wants to take part in his creation he wants.

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Steep: 8:12am On Mar 21
Michael547:

Where does the scripture refers to Jesus and the holy spirit as God Almighty and 'I am'?

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Hebrews 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

In Hebrews the holy ghost identifies himself as the Lord which in the old testament is yahweh.
The Holy ghost identifies himself as yahweh.

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 9:21am On Mar 21
Steep:
It means the father and the Son are not the same person.
Then if they are not the same person, how are they equals?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 9:26am On Mar 21
Steep:

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Hebrews 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

In Hebrews the ghost identifies himself as the Lord which in the old testament is yahweh.
The Holy ghost identifies himself as yahweh.
Where does the Holy ghost identify himself as Lord? Can't you see that Jesus is saying in John 8:58 that he existed before Abraham, So how does that make him the Almighty God?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 9:31am On Mar 21
Steep:
God does not change. The person of the father is not the person of the Son and holy ghost, they are different and it is fixed because God's nature does not change.
You seem to think that Jesus Jesus divinity changed, No, Jesus divine nature as God does not change, he only added the human nature.
When Jesus died he only died in the flesh.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

If the father wants to take part in his creation he wants.

So if the father is different from the son and holy ghost, how are they equals?
If Jesus divine nature as Almighty God did not change while on earth, why did he say he did not know the hour of judgment in Matt 24:36? Why did he say the Father was greater than him in John 14:28?
So are you implying that the Father can also die in the flesh?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Steep: 9:52am On Mar 21
Michael547:

So only same persons can be equal? You are being mischievous sameness is not the same as equality. Yellow light and blue light are equally light but they are not same.

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Steep: 10:00am On Mar 21
Michael547:

So if the father is different from the son and holy ghost, how are they equals?
If Jesus divine nature as Almighty God did not change while on earth, why did he say he did not know the hour of judgment in Matt 24:36? Why did he say the Father was greater than him in John 14:28?
So are you implying that the Father can also die in the flesh?
You ignored where the scripture said the word became flesh.
Is God not greater than flesh?
If Jesus became a man by taken on the human nature does that not mean the father is greater than him in the flesh?

If the father take on human flesh he could die if he wishes,
Jesus willingly laid down his life he didn't just die
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Emusan(m): 10:08am On Mar 21
Michael547:

How many times will you be taught this same thing?

Jesus and His Father are both EQUAL in essence that is IN NATURE (what makes God to be God) just as you and your father on earth are equal in the nature of HUMAN (what makes man to be human) but your father is greater than you in position.
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 10:34am On Mar 21
Steep:
You ignored where the scripture said the word became flesh.
Is God not greater than flesh?
If Jesus became a man by taken on the human nature does that not mean the father is greater than in as er the flesh he is in?
If the father take on human flesh he could die if he wishes,
Jesus willingly laid down his life he didn't just die
Lol....so are you saying that when Jesus was in the flesh, he was no longer the Almighty God?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 10:36am On Mar 21
Emusan:

How many times will you be taught this same thing?

Jesus and His Father are both EQUAL in essence that is IN NATURE (what makes God to be God) just as you and your father on earth are equal in the nature of HUMAN (what makes man to be human) but your father is greater than you in position.
Lol.....so What Position is the Father Greater than the son? Can I claim equality with my earthly father when I know he lived before me and he procreated me?

1 Like

Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Michael547(m): 10:38am On Mar 21
Steep:
So only same persons can be equal? You are being mischievous sameness is not the same as equality. Yellow light and blue light are equally light but they are not same.
SO how come Jesus who is not the same person with the Father calls himself a 'son'? Please can we also call the Father a 'son'? Are you implying that the title 'Father' and 'son' means the same thing?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Emusan(m): 10:45am On Mar 21
Michael547:

Lol.....so What Position is the Father Greater than the son?

The Father is greater than the Son in Rank

Can I claim equality with my earthly father when I know he lived before me and he procreated me?

You are EQUAL to your earthly father by NATURE

Live before you and procreate you is in RANK.

Let me ask you, is your father MORE HUMAN than you?
Re: If Jesus Calls The Father " The Only True God" Does That Mean Jesus Is Not God? by Emusan(m): 10:48am On Mar 21
Michael547:

SO how come Jesus who is not the same person with the Father calls himself a 'son'? Please can we also call the Father a 'son'? Are you implying that the title 'Father' and 'son' means the same thing?

Another evidence of lack of scriptural understanding.

Jesus became A SON when He came to earth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Confessions Of An Evil Man / Oprah Winfrey Opens Church, Founds Religion. / Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.