Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,323 members, 7,811,953 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

Number Of Languages By Country - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Number Of Languages By Country (24412 Views)

The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / Chadic Group Of Languages. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Omoapena(m): 5:31pm On Mar 24
Natives language or immigrants languages inclusive, coz which other language do they speak in USA, UK and Canada if not English?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by meum: 5:31pm On Mar 24
Hmmm
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Mindlog: 5:31pm On Mar 24
Diversity.
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by daben1(m): 5:31pm On Mar 24
shadrach77:
How did countries like US, UK and Canada have several languages? I thought it's only English they speak cry
no mind dem, apart from English, which other language do they speak? Yeye list

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by kheny12(m): 5:32pm On Mar 24
baike:
What's the population of that first country?
Not up to Lagos island local government.
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Gabayo17(m): 5:32pm On Mar 24
God is too deep for any mortal man to comprehend

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by jamesversion: 5:32pm On Mar 24
Abeg USA dey speak English.
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by kheny12(m): 5:33pm On Mar 24
shadrach77:
How did countries like US, UK and Canada have several languages? I thought it's only English they speak cry
They have some indigenous languages in those countries.But we all know that they do speaks English.sane thing they will think of us too.

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by netmillionaires(m): 5:33pm On Mar 24
Those countries have migrants. The migrants are the reasons for the language diversity in those countries. But in Nigeria, those listen languages are languages spoken mainly by the indigenous.

shadrach77:

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by DeepSight(m): 5:34pm On Mar 24
[quote author=Realtord43 post=129086881][/quote]

For some nations here, the number of languages only really reflects the simple fact that foreigners also dwell there by immigration.

Otherwise saying that the UK has 85 languages or Germany ninety something, or Canada almost two hundred is simply a laugh.

On second thoughts let me leave Canada out of this. Old tribes exist there before the European.

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by 99thEnemy(m): 5:34pm On Mar 24
PNG no the carry last grin
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Urgent1Million: 5:34pm On Mar 24
Wawoooh!!
Over 800 languages for about 12 million people in PNG!!
That's massive baby!!
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by boxypane(m): 5:35pm On Mar 24
osazsky:
myth
Pls explain how o or recommend what you read.

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by gurujoe(m): 5:36pm On Mar 24
Kaduna state has more than 50 especially southern kaduna
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by geoworldedu: 5:36pm On Mar 24
boxypane:
Omo you go fear. See wetin Tower of Babel cause for World.

Lying story from the bible is what you're holding on to in this 21st century. The reason why we have different languages is very simple. People live in different parts of the world and they have to create different languages for themselves to use. The bible story writers were real clowns. Trying to seek answer to that common sense stuff, they ended up bringing up false stories. Smh.

Maybe you'll have to tell us how tower of balablu also caused the difference in our skin colours too grin

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by musicwriter(m): 5:37pm On Mar 24
@all asking why many languages in a country like the USA.

Before Europeans got to the USA, there were native people already living in America and speaking many languages.

English was used to enslave them but the people and their native languages still exist just as we have our native languages here in Africa but instead speak the slave masters language.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Astra101: 5:37pm On Mar 24
shadrach77:

I think this is a dumb research, they added countries with aboriginal languages with countries with imported languages.

All 524 languages are original to Nigerian tribes. That of USA and UK are imported languages that came with immigrant.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by SMARTMOTORS(m): 5:38pm On Mar 24
Some people dey mistake Dialect as Language....very bad!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by ednut1(m): 5:39pm On Mar 24
shadrach77:
us and Canada have indigenous people there before white man came plus other immigrants

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by inoki247: 5:40pm On Mar 24
netmillionaires:
Those countries have migrants. The migrants are the reasons for the language diversity in those countries. But in Nigeria, those listen languages are languages spoken mainly by the indigenous.

Lol not about immigrants at least I know about Canada they've other Language apart from English and French they've indigenous language....

I know about Inuktitut language in Canada is an indigenous language...

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by ednut1(m): 5:40pm On Mar 24
Astra101:

I think this is a dumb research, they added countries with aboriginal languages with countries with imported languages.

All 524 languages are original to Nigerian tribes. That of USA and UK are imported languages that came with immigrant.
usa has indigenous Indians tribes

3 Likes

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Astra101: 5:41pm On Mar 24
Kizzygentle:
Surprised about UK... Thought they all speak English.. US and Canada still understandable because of the boundaries between fellow soutthern and northern American countries that speak Spanish and Latin.

All 524 languages in Nigeria are of Nigerian origin . That of USA and UK are imported languages that came with immigrant. What's the immigration records of north Korea? Your guess is as good as mine. That's why they have just 1
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Joy2dworldxyz: 5:41pm On Mar 24

So in north Korea there's no gossip....
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Realtord43: 5:42pm On Mar 24
For USA and UK, they mostly migrates that comes into the country
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by MrsAminaBello(f): 5:43pm On Mar 24
PulaPower:
North Korea no dey everly get joy sha..
Omo I just went back to confirm it omo Kim Jung no get joy ooo
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by IronGalaxy: 5:43pm On Mar 24
shadrach77:
There are lot of Spanish speakers in the US. A lot of Korean, Chinese speakers etc. Italian speakers etc..

2 Likes

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by StraightGaay: 5:43pm On Mar 24
shadrach77:
Native Americans

2 Likes

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Donchieli: 5:43pm On Mar 24
B lyk say dem de count migrants join, when dem de count languages

Cuz how UK take get 85 language abeg abi na USA 335! HOW? atmost 4 languages

Canada? Haba na

Australia? Am not surprised sha

Na people come together from different continent create dat continent /country

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by emmyN(m): 5:43pm On Mar 24
Top 20 Spoken languages in the US

English (245 million speakers)

Spanish (41.3 million speakers)

Chinese (including Mandarin, Cantonese and other varieties) (3.4 million speakers)

Tagalog (1.72 million speakers)

Vietnamese (1.52 million speakers)

Arabic (1.39 million speakers)

French (1.18 million speakers)

Korean (1.07 million speakers)

Russian (1.04 million speakers)

Portuguese (937,000 speakers)

German (810,000 speakers)

Polish (800,000 speakers)

Italian (780,000 speakers)

Japanese (430,000 speakers)

Greek (400,000 speakers)

Hindi (380,000 speakers)

Persian (Farsi) (350,000 speakers)

Bengali (340,000 speakers)

Hebrew (310,000 speakers)

Ukrainian (260,000 speakers)
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by MrsAminaBello(f): 5:44pm On Mar 24
Kizzygentle:
Surprised about UK... Thought they all speak English.. US and Canada still understandable because of the boundaries between fellow soutthern and northern American countries that speak Spanish and Latin.
shadrach77:
Honestly I'm so confused abi they also included the various English accents as parts of languages?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by panpan(m): 5:44pm On Mar 24
I wonder how Papua New Guinea has the most languages, considering that their population is just 10 million.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chukwuemeka Eri Hosts World Eri Festival In Aguleri, 2019 / Speaking Jamaican Patois... / ‘Egbira’ Finally Gazetted As Common Name For An Ethnic Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.