Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,901 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

Number Of Languages By Country - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Number Of Languages By Country (24411 Views)

The Number Of Igbos Who Cannot Speak The Language Is Alarming! / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / Chadic Group Of Languages. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by MajorOvakporaye(f): 5:45pm On Mar 24
seanwilliam:
Ondo state alone has over 300

Na so. You for kukuma make am 17 million languages for Ondo.

2 Likes

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Realtord43: 5:45pm On Mar 24
Joy2dworldxyz:

So in north Korea there's no gossip....
you want gossip Kim k grin

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Moniya4Real(m): 5:46pm On Mar 24
Exactly bro. I don’t understand a single word spoken by some yorubas, especially in Ondo state.

boxypane:
Omo you go fear. See wetin Tower of Babel cause for World.

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Calitoscassius(m): 5:46pm On Mar 24
Kizzygentle:
Surprised about UK... Thought they all speak English.. US and Canada still understandable because of the boundaries between fellow soutthern and northern American countries that speak Spanish and Latin.
I don't know what the UK is doing on that list, UK speaks only one language, English, apart from Welsh language. Even the welsh speaks English also. Unless they are counting foreign languages spoken in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Realtord43: 5:47pm On Mar 24
thís figures might be overbloated
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by abikason(m): 5:47pm On Mar 24
USA, UK Germany and others are not supposed to be on that list, if languages spoken by foreigners are to be included, Nigeria speaks 1000 languages

Bengali
Boro
Dogri
Punjabi
Sanskrit
Santali
Tamil
Telugu
Urdu.....represented in our Indian community

Lebanese
French
Thai
Japanese
Chinese
Turkish
Kurdish
Arabic
Greek
Spanish
Korean ........... Etc
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by MrsAminaBello(f): 5:47pm On Mar 24
geoworldedu:

Lying story from the bible is what you're holding on to in this 21st century. The reason why we have different languages is very simple. People live in different parts of the world and they have to create different languages for themselves to use. The bible story writers were real clowns. Trying to seek answer to that common sense stuff, they ended up bringing up false stories. Smh.

Maybe you'll have to tell us how tower of balablu also caused the difference in our skin colours too grin
languages are not created.
It's a natural God given ability.
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by IronGalaxy: 5:48pm On Mar 24
South Africa has 11 official languages, others I think it's different Khoi languages like Griqua, Kwe etc.. White South Africans outside of Afrikaans and English, have Greeks and Portuguese primarily, then you have the Indians! South Africa has the highest of Indians outside of India so I'm guessing it's their languages like Tamil, Hindi, Gujarati etc etc.. everybody in Africa is also in SA I'm guessing they're also including their languages, but is a lot more than the 42

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Onewazobia(m): 5:48pm On Mar 24
That means language is not the barrier development, other stuff which I cannot figure out must be responsible for our chaos
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by MrsAminaBello(f): 5:49pm On Mar 24
SMARTMOTORS:
Some people dey mistake Dialect as Language....very bad!
and even accent, if not I see no reason why UK should be in that list
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by remsonik(f): 5:49pm On Mar 24
Really!! Please can you give a list of the 524 languages spoken in nigeria. I only know of English, yoruba,hausa,igbo,fulani,akwa ibom,edo

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by DJInfluence: 5:49pm On Mar 24
Was dialects counted or how come Nigeria has 524 languages?
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Maj196(m): 5:49pm On Mar 24
A lot of dem would soon go extinct
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Calitoscassius(m): 5:49pm On Mar 24
Since when has the UK began to speak 82 languages?
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Fryx: 5:50pm On Mar 24
shadrach77:
How did countries like US, UK and Canada have several languages? I thought it's only English they speak cry

There are locals before the US was founded.

Plus, most US founders are from English and neighboring countries.
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by ellizy(m): 5:52pm On Mar 24
shadrach77:
How did countries like US, UK and Canada have several languages? I thought it's only English they speak cry
Their English varies per states or my ethnic I should say
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Omoapena(m): 5:54pm On Mar 24
clefstone:
Kindly explain US and UK numbers

The guy just did copy and paste without asking proper question....

Those English speaking countries have more than 1 language cox of immigrants that dominated some parts of their countries...
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Omoapena(m): 5:55pm On Mar 24
ellizy:

Their English varies per states or my ethnic I should say

Varies in what sense?

If you say their English varies, does it mean they aren't speaking English or what do you mean?
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Omoapena(m): 5:55pm On Mar 24
Fryx:

There are locals before the US was founded.

Plus, most US founders are from English and neighboring countries.

And what language does this locals speak?
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Omoapena(m): 5:57pm On Mar 24
remsonik:
Really!! Please can you give a list of the 524 languages spoken in nigeria. I only know of English, yoruba,hausa,igbo,fulani,akwa ibom,edo

I know few tho, gbagi
Igala
Idoma
Tiv
Ishan
Many more sha

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Fryx: 5:57pm On Mar 24
Omoapena:

And what language does this locals speak?

What language do Hausas, Yorubas, and Igbos speaks before the English came to colonize us?
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by 7upnigeria: 5:59pm On Mar 24
smokinloud:
So, Papua and Guinea,with their little landmass, get number of languages pass Nigeria and dem no dey fight themselves like us

No mind igbo people, na dem be troublemakers. They're all over the whole place. They always want to claim ownership of anywhere they're welcomed with open arms. Hausa no get joy, that's why dem no fit drag land with Aboki.
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Omoapena(m): 5:59pm On Mar 24
Moniya4Real:
Exactly bro. I don’t understand a single word spoken by some yorubas, especially in Ondo state.

Ondo Yoruba is still Yoruba,their own way of speaking it is just different.

Just as UK English speaking is different from US English speaking but both are English language...

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Ykc2(m): 6:00pm On Mar 24
Who ever wrote this need to be flogged so you count people from Pakistan afganistan or somalia and nigeria that seek for asylum in Germany or Italy as Germany or italy having another language? How many languages are in oduduwa or igbo biafra
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by smokinloud(m): 6:01pm On Mar 24
7upnigeria:

No mind igbo people, na dem be troublemakers. They're all over the whole place. They always want to claim ownership of anywhere they're welcomed with open arms. Hausa no get joy, that's why dem no fit drag land with Aboki.
grin grin grin
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by ReubenE(m): 6:04pm On Mar 24
daben1:
no mind dem, apart from English, which other language do they speak? Yeye list
Almost every other language in the world is spoken in those places because of immigrants. The languages in reference are not indigenous but spoken cause of immigrants

1 Like

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by BigDawsNet: 6:05pm On Mar 24
shadrach77:

They are native Americans..

2 Likes

Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Omoapena(m): 6:05pm On Mar 24
Fryx:

What language do Hausas, Yorubas, and Igbos speaks before the English came to colonize us?

You're a clown bro, how does this answer the question?

You said their are locals before US founders found US and colonize it with English...

At least you know Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo were being spoken before English became universal language and this same Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo are still well spoken up till date, and it's recognized globally...

So what was the native language locals were speaking in US before the US founders found it, at least, the language should have it's identity...
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Globad(f): 6:14pm On Mar 24
boxypane:

You believe in the tale of Babel?
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Pootle: 6:18pm On Mar 24
boxypane:

so you still belive those old tales
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by gly2ken: 6:22pm On Mar 24
Does England has other languages other than English.
Re: Number Of Languages By Country by Ashawoman82: 6:23pm On Mar 24
musicwriter:
@all asking why many languages in a country like the USA.

Before Europeans got to the USA, there were native people already living in America and speaking many languages.

English was used to enslave them but the people and their native languages still exist just as we have our native languages here in Africa but instead speak the slave masters language.
mention the native languages in the USA...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chukwuemeka Eri Hosts World Eri Festival In Aguleri, 2019 / Speaking Jamaican Patois... / ‘Egbira’ Finally Gazetted As Common Name For An Ethnic Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.