Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,265 members, 7,811,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:45 PM

The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) (42557 Views)

I Just Killed This Snake In My Room. / The Snake I Killed In My Room / The Snake I Killed In My Room In Enugu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by 99thEnemy(m): 11:10am On Mar 26
Alfabest07:
as of when you begin know toothpaste.
90’s

Macleans was the standard

you fa?

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by MissIndependent(f): 11:11am On Mar 26
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by ogaontop(m): 11:12am On Mar 26
Wawelexy:
Na this one I sabi(mortein or raid), and dem no born you well make you stay inside the room we y dem use am.

Even though na for mosquito and other insects, rat sef still dey fear am. grin
Some of those strong insecticides were also harmful to man even if you inhaled after so many hours.
Their half-life is days, and they attack internal organs by long time accumulation. You may not feel the effects immediately but many years later and by then, you won't know it's the cause of your problems.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by DeLaRue: 11:12am On Mar 26
Mosquito wey see person enter room with that kind heavy equipment must know the end don come cheesy

That 'flit' word has confused me to no end. It just never appears to be a proper word. I often wondered if it was spelt fleet, fleat, flit etc It's one of those words that is so jarring to my ears, I hate hearing it.

'...flit the room' just never made grammatical sense to me.

Sigh...finally, I know the origin of this absurdity.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by TYCO77: 11:14am On Mar 26
[color=#000099][/color]
OboOlora:
cheesy
Nigerians and turning brands to generic names

To them...:

Every noodles is indomie
Every detergent is Omo
Every toothpaste is Macleans
Every SUV is Jeep
Every hair is Brazilian
Every pen is Biro

Add yours grin
Every seasoning is maggi
Every biro is bic
Every beverage is bournvita
Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by yomi531(m): 11:15am On Mar 26
KingMack:
if you know that GO AND FLIT MY ROOM and you're not married pls gather here🤣
We full ground oo😅😅😅

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by Geofavor(m): 11:17am On Mar 26
OboOlora:
cheesy

To them...:

Every noodles is indomie
Every detergent is Omo
Every SUV is Jeep
Every hair is Brazilian
Every pen is Biro

Add yours grin
I learnt something. Thanks. I never knew "jeep" is actually a brand name. Thought it's the general name for those kind of vehicles.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by 99thEnemy(m): 11:17am On Mar 26
Deebami:

Graduates you mean.
I believe that guy’s statement is a hyperbole.

If not, he obviously lacks perception of proportion.
Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by 99thEnemy(m): 11:18am On Mar 26
Mode01:

You mean flit doesn't mean "to spray"?
E shock you? 🤣🤣

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by Justdare: 11:18am On Mar 26
OboOlora:
cheesy

To them...:

Every noodles is indomie
Every detergent is Omo
Every SUV is Jeep
Every hair is Brazilian
Every pen is Biro

Add yours grin
Every seasoning cube is Maggi
Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by DeLaRue: 11:18am On Mar 26
TYCO77:
[color=#000099][/color]
Every seasoning is maggi
Every biro is bic
Every beverage is bournvita

I am guilty of that last one.

9 out of 10 times, I can't remember the name 'Ovaltine'.

I end up saying 'the other bournvita', hoping the person around me will say, 'you mean ovaltine?' grin

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by 99thEnemy(m): 11:19am On Mar 26
Evolutionism:

Upload the plastic one.

We used the old version of this tire those days.
This one is the universal. just buy the refill of any insecticide and use grin

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by Mode01: 11:20am On Mar 26
99thEnemy:

E shock you? 🤣🤣

I swear

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by Hopez456(m): 11:20am On Mar 26
OboOlora:
cheesy

To them...:

Every noodles is indomie
Every detergent is Omo
Every SUV is Jeep
Every hair is Brazilian
Every pen is Biro

Add yours grin
Every Seasoning is Maggi

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by 99thEnemy(m): 11:21am On Mar 26
airsaylongcome:

It just goes the show the success if those brands in Nigeria. And let's not think this is a Nigerian thing. It's worldwide. In the UK, there was a time all Vaccum cleaners were called "Hoover"
Just like Photocopy is called Xerox in some countries.
Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by officialfestus(m): 11:21am On Mar 26
Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by Thoughts007: 11:22am On Mar 26
Wawelexy:
Na this one I sabi(mortein or raid), and dem no born you well make you stay inside the room we y dem use am.

How much you dey sell am? grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by 99thEnemy(m): 11:22am On Mar 26
Smartguyboy:

If flit is a product
What are we suppose to say nah
I have been pondering on this question since I saw this Topic.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by 99thEnemy(m): 11:23am On Mar 26
Alfabest07:
So na the shelltox be this wey my papa still dey talk. I thought the spelling would be sharetoss, grin grin grin
I swear grin

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by demoBaba: 11:25am On Mar 26
Freshtruth:
You use this and u never marry or at least born pikin

Village people on the lead on your case

If you come still dey your papa house join

Village people has succeeded

You suppose don born finished

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by DCmonster: 11:25am On Mar 26
This was the Genesis of Asthma in many Nigerian families.
Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by ThothHermes: 11:29am On Mar 26
OboOlora:
cheesy

To them...:

Every noodles is indomie
Every detergent is Omo
Every SUV is Jeep
Every hair is Brazilian
Every pen is Biro

Add yours grin
It's not a Nigerian thing. When a brand becomes a household name, it can become a generic name for the product. It is known as genericization.
Global examples...

Xerox
Taser
Kleenex
Dumpster
Escalator
Popsicle
Laundromat
Even kerosene, if you can believe that grin

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by Bahamas95(m): 11:30am On Mar 26
I haven't seen it before until now, what my mum used then was RAID.......I don't know if it's still in the market.

Though I have heard people say "please go and flit the house".

Pawpaw even said it in one old movie.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by soccerlite: 11:31am On Mar 26
Nawa

"Flit" doesn't even mean spray

Most people say flit the house

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by DeLaRue: 11:31am On Mar 26
Another famous one is Bata.

Bata was a famous shoe brand in Nigeria until the 80s, I think.

I don't know about other regions, but till today, Yorubas still refer to shoes as 'bata' grin

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by ThothHermes: 11:32am On Mar 26
SEGLIZ:
Nigerians and generic names!? still that's our uniqueness, one of the reasons we're Nigerian.
It's a language thing. It's not a Nigerian thing.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by ThothHermes: 11:33am On Mar 26
DeLaRue:
Another famous one is Bata.

Bata was a famous shoe brand in Nigeria.

I don't know about other regions, but till today, Yorubas still refer to shoes as 'bata' grin
Really?
What's the real word for shoe in Yoruba?
Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by foxxydude: 11:35am On Mar 26
OboOlora:
cheesy

To them...:

Every noodles is indomie
Every detergent is Omo
Every SUV is Jeep
Every hair is Brazilian
Every pen is Biro

Add yours grin

Detergent is called OMO in almost all West Africa countries 😂
I have experienced it
Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by DeLaRue: 11:35am On Mar 26
ThothHermes:
Really?
What's the real word for shoe in Yoruba?

I don't know to be honest.
Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by ppogba: 11:43am On Mar 26
HisaacPlus:

You probably grew up from one of those remote, autonomous communities.

Very well said.
Na threads like this dey expose some of them.

Remote is even a mild adjective. Bush would have been appropriate.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by free2ryhme: 11:43am On Mar 26
Wawelexy:

mortein is recent to the Nigerian market.

this must be from a foreign country

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of "Go And Flit My Room" (Throwback Photo) by spencekat(m): 11:44am On Mar 26
cardoctor:
Mosquitoes wept during that era
grin Those mosquitoes were not strong enough those years.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

See The Big Python That Was Killed In My Hostel / Bus Collides With Truck At Niger Bridge In Onitsha. Passengers Dead. Graphic Pix / Dangote Truck Crushes Vehicles On Kaduna-Abuja Road, Many Dead. Photos

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.