Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,736 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination (24771 Views)

Nigerians Narrate Their Ordeal At Ghana Airport Over COVID-19 Test: Video / FAAN Shuts Down Enugu Airport For Repairs / Man Who Climbed Azman Aircraft At Lagos Airport Is From Niger Republic - FAAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by bestofnollywood: 12:39pm On Mar 28
The management of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) has, with immediate effect, closed down KFC facility at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos.

A statement by Mrs. Obiageli Orah, Director, of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, FAAN, said that this was in connection with the discriminatory treatment received by a Passenger with Reduced Mobility (PRM) at the airport on Wednesday from the outlet.

The statement said that the closing down of the company was in line with Lagos State Law on People with Special Needs, Part C, Section 55 of General Provisions on Discrimination.

The law states that: “A person shall not deprive another person of access to any place, vehicle or facility that members of the public are entitled to enter or use on the basis of the disability of that person.”

The statement hinted that Mrs. Olubunmi Kuku, the Managign Director, FAAN, immediately intervened by deploying a management team comprising the Director, Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, Mrs. Obiageli Orah, the Regional Manager South West, Mr. Sunday Ayodele, Ag. General Manager Public Affairs, Mrs. Ijeoma Nwosu-Igbo and the International Terminal Manager, Mr. Kerri, to investigate the allegation of discrimination against the physically challenged traveller.

Orah emphasised that the shutting down of the facility at the MMIA, where the incident occurred, was based on the findings of the team deployed by FAAN to investigate the matter.

FAAN also directed the KFC management to tender an unreserved apology, in writing to the affected PRM and a policy statement of non-discrimination written and pasted conspicuously at the doorpost of their facility at the airport before it would be allowed to resume operation.

“FAAN uses this medium to express our unreserved apology to the affected passenger with reduced mobility and assures all airport users that we shall continue to work tirelessly to ensure that the rights of every passenger are not infringed upon,” the statement said.

It would be recalled that Debola Daniel, the son of Senator Gbenga Daniel, was ridiculed yesterday because of his disability by staffers of KFC.

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by immortalcrown(m): 12:40pm On Mar 28
The madness is usually identified and addressed with immediate effects when influential people are affected.

If not the big name of the guy, only the poor would have spent weeks carrying placards on streets or nagging on X. But as a big name is involved, the concerned authority is not deaf, dumb and blind. That is why the KFC branch is quickly shut down, not minding how the closure will affect the employees. If the guy was of a poor background, you will hear, "Go to court". Even in the court, the judgement will take eternity.

I am not in support of what the KFC branch did to the guy. I appreciate justice. But I hate selective justice. Will the branch be closed in the same manner if the affected individual is not influential? If yes, I support the closure. But if no, it is what it is.

203 Likes 18 Shares

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by fnep2smooth(m): 12:43pm On Mar 28
Nice way to go

3 Likes

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by seborrhic: 12:49pm On Mar 28
Assuming it was the child or relation of an unknown person,would this same action had been taken?
In Nigeria,once you hear this kind of prompt action,just know it's because an influential person is directly or indirectly affected.

75 Likes 9 Shares

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by Namaster: 12:49pm On Mar 28
I like the swift response.

I realized there is an accessibility crisis in Nigeria the day I saw a hospital with stairs and NO ramp.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by Finquas: 1:01pm On Mar 28
Good one.. but as they are swift to respond to this cuz its a former Govs son.. same should be extended to any infringements on basic rights of all citizens regardless of status or class

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by Patented: 1:01pm On Mar 28
they should have been sanctioned, perhaps fined but not shut down. shutting them down means certain people are out of work now. whatever little economic value that was being created by their activities is lost now.

bestofnollywood:
The management of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) has, with immediate effect, closed down KFC facility at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos.

A statement by Mrs. Obiageli Orah, Director, of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, FAAN, said that this was in connection with the discriminatory treatment received by a Passenger with Reduced Mobility (PRM) at the airport on Wednesday from the outlet.

The statement said that the closing down of the company was in line with Lagos State Law on People with Special Needs, Part C, Section 55 of General Provisions on Discrimination.

The law states that: “A person shall not deprive another person of access to any place, vehicle or facility that members of the public are entitled to enter or use on the basis of the disability of that person.”

The statement hinted that Mrs. Olubunmi Kuku, the Managign Director, FAAN, immediately intervened by deploying a management team comprising the Director, Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, Mrs. Obiageli Orah, the Regional Manager South West, Mr. Sunday Ayodele, Ag. General Manager Public Affairs, Mrs. Ijeoma Nwosu-Igbo and the International Terminal Manager, Mr. Kerri, to investigate the allegation of discrimination against the physically challenged traveller.

Orah emphasised that the shutting down of the facility at the MMIA, where the incident occurred, was based on the findings of the team deployed by FAAN to investigate the matter.

FAAN also directed the KFC management to tender an unreserved apology, in writing to the affected PRM and a policy statement of non-discrimination written and pasted conspicuously at the doorpost of their facility at the airport before it would be allowed to resume operation.

“FAAN uses this medium to express our unreserved apology to the affected passenger with reduced mobility and assures all airport users that we shall continue to work tirelessly to ensure that the rights of every passenger are not infringed upon,” the statement said.

It would be recalled that Debola Daniel, the son of Senator Gbenga Daniel, was ridiculed yesterday because of his disability by staffers of KFC.

https://applesbite.com/faan-shuts-down-kfc-outlet-at-lagos-airport-over-discrimination/

14 Likes

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by MatrixReloaded: 1:12pm On Mar 28
In South Africa who are you to stop "umu ita" from entering mall. With there haggad look and tartard cloths they walk in shop rite pick anything(snacks) and zoom...
Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by Hoelujohn: 1:15pm On Mar 28
Namaster:

I realized there is an accessibility crisis in Nigeria the day I saw a hospital with stairs and NO ramp.
Dey play! The father has direct access to Tinubu.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by Randal: 1:39pm On Mar 28
Very good
Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by christejames(m): 1:39pm On Mar 28
That's good, I don't know why some people will feel they are more superior to the other undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by erai30(m): 1:40pm On Mar 28
Good riddance to bad rubbish cool
Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by phemmie06(m): 1:40pm On Mar 28
Nice move

1 Like

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by papyjaypaul: 1:40pm On Mar 28
When the rich cry, we must weep with them.

When the poor cry, they can sweep it away.

Animal kingdom

It is not that Nigerians are not compassionate enough but these wicked politicians will rather close an outlet where people are working and foreign investment is coming in because it is a rich man's son. We are not blind, we see how you selectively apply the law when it involves you but when it involves the poor man, you tell them to go to Court because you control them from behind. I am not angry because it is a rich man, I ak angry because his dad is a public servant and an engineer. Let us start from the buildings and infrastructure built during his time as governor. Were they accessible? Is Kresta laurel accessible? What changes did they make when they had the opportunity to serve us? You see these our politicians, they think they are smart but God has a way of handling them.

Many Nigerians have been complaining about inaccessibility to public facilities. The government has not shown example but it is making example of KFC. What a joke

Care for Nigerians first and I will start to empathise with you. Don't care for us and i will be waiting like a hyena who is waiting for your death because you have taught me how to be a jackass with your wickedness and insensitivity as a so-called public servant.

Michael Jackson

Beat me, hate me
You can never break me
Will me, thrill me
You can never kill me
Jew me, sue me
Everybody, do me
Kick me, kike me
Don't you black or white me

All I wanna say is that they don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that they don't really care about us

Tell me what has become of my life
I have a wife and two children who love me
I'm a victim of police brutality, now (Mhhm)
I'm tired of bein' the victim of hate
Your rapin' me of my pride
Oh, for God's sake
I look to heaven to fulfill its prophecy...
Set me free

Are we all not human enough to be treated with dignity

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by Vickym1(f): 1:41pm On Mar 28
sad

This was carried out because of the influence of his father. Had it been is a nobody then nothing will happen

7 Likes

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by Kloenboi: 1:41pm On Mar 28
It affected a big man son grin

1 Like

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by Dee60: 1:42pm On Mar 28
Very welcome news.

We should appreciate FG for acting promptly.

They should do same when the kids of poor people also complain.

Let our citizens feel their worth as citizens, rich or poor.

4 Likes

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by Zxcvbnmghtr: 1:42pm On Mar 28
Namaster:

Not only in Nigeria even Europe and America. Things are only beginning to change lately with architectural, structural and industrial designs to functionally accommodate the physically challenged.

14 Likes

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by adecz: 1:42pm On Mar 28
grin

1 Like

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by bigdammyj: 1:43pm On Mar 28
Noted.
Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by phemmie06(m): 1:43pm On Mar 28
seborrhic:
Assuming it was the child or relation of an unknown person,would this same action had been taken?
In Nigeria,once you hear this kind of prompt action,just know it's because an influential person is directly or indirectly affected.

I carefree whoever it happened to since no name was mentioned.
They have learned in a bitter way

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by bassdow: 1:44pm On Mar 28
m
Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by bassdow: 1:44pm On Mar 28
was about to praise FAAN team, till I realize the victim was Debola Daniel, the son of Senator Gbenga Daniel, a former Ogun state governor.

if to say na ordinary poor man, e sure me say nothing for happen

6 Likes

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by Zimzy(m): 1:44pm On Mar 28
Good
Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by yewit37486: 1:45pm On Mar 28
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Not only in Nigeria even Europe and America. Things are only beginning to challenge lately with architectural and structural designs that accommodate the physically challenged.

Please don't joke.

2 Likes

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by meum: 1:45pm On Mar 28
Because it happened to a big man’s son abi? See them making it look like they do things to favour physically challenged people in this country.

Well, let me commend them for doing something because it happened to the son of a big man.

1 Like

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by Kelklein(m): 1:45pm On Mar 28
while I do not think that KFC as an entity would support discrimination against PWD, this is just an action of one overzealous ignorant staff, as shown in the video making the rounds online

..and the more reason why you should always take time to train your staff in order to avoid incidents like this one.

4 Likes

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by Blitzking: 1:46pm On Mar 28
Dem Don treat one rich man Bleep up or him pikin..he don report..or this is a planned work
Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by adecz: 1:46pm On Mar 28
If na ordinary citizen, na flog the
KFC security or police for flog am
together with him wheel chair and
nothing go happen sef❗️❗️❗️

2 Likes

Re: FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination by IBB007: 1:46pm On Mar 28
Lol…na gbenga Daniel pikin no wonder

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

After Buhari's Visit, Petrol Tankers, Trucks Return On Lagos Bridge(Pix) / Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators / Trailer Fails Break & Crushes A Car In Jikwoyi, Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.