Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,473 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators (24806 Views)

United Nigeria Airline Lagos-Abuja Flight Lands In Asaba / Passengers Groan As British Airways Diverts Abuja Flight To Lagos Over Terror Al / Arik Passengers Use Hand-Fan On Abuja Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by EcoBrick: 6:59am On Aug 24, 2023
The Spokesperson for the Airline Operators of Nigeria and Chairman of United Nigeria Airlines, Obiora Okonkwo has said that with the increase in cost operations, an air ticket from Lagos to Abuja should cost N250 thousand. He said this in an Exclusive interview on AriseTv.

In his words,

“If you think tickets are expensive, then you probably don’t appreciate the sacrifices made by local operators. If we have to charge the fares, the way the costs are increasing every day, we should be paying not less than N250,000 from Lagos to Abuja,”

Airlines should have a special window for Forex.

Going further Prof. Okonkwo who doubles as the Chairman of United Nigeria Airlines highlighted the urgent need for local airlines to access foreign exchange through a designated window facilitated by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

He called upon the newly appointed Aviation Minister, Festus Keyamo, to collaborate with other governmental bodies to identify and rectify obstructive elements within the system, which exacerbate the existing challenges.

Addressing the foreign exchange predicament, Okonkwo stated,

“You have naira and you can’t convert it to the dollar. So, the solution to this is for our minister to understand that we need a special window with the CBN to access foreign exchange.”

High cost of aviation fuel caused by speculation.

He expressed concern over the unjustifiably high cost of aviation fuel, attributing the excess charges to speculative practices. He called on the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to play its part in stabilizing the industry by curbing these practices.

He remarked thus,

“There is no reason, no matter the international price of crude oil, that the aviation fuel should be delivered to the pump for more than N500. Everything you see on top of it is speculations and I am calling out on NNPC staff to set this country free.”

The aviation sector should be designated an essential sector.

Recognizing the significance of the aviation sector, Okonkwo advocated for its acknowledgement as an essential industry within Nigeria. He cautioned against any interference with the existing regulatory framework, stressing that stability and consistency were paramount.

He remarked,

“The government and new aviation minister have to recognize the aviation industry as one of the essential industries in the country. It is no more for the rich only but a means of transportation.”

New Minister should not tamper with existing regulation

Drawing attention to the industry’s unique challenges, Okonkwo highlighted the currency disparity that local operators grapple with. Earnings in naira must cover significant dollar-denominated expenses, making the industry particularly vulnerable to currency fluctuations.

In this context, he urged the minister not to tamper with the existing regulations and institutional structures.

“The current minister should not interfere with the regulations. We had a very terrible past where the regulatory employees were given employment letters from the Federal Ministry of Aviation. That’s absurd and unacceptable. So, let the regulatory system remain. Also, look into the latest appointments that were made before the end of the last administration,”
Okonkwo asserted.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nairametrics.com/2023/08/23/lagos-to-abuja-flight-ticket/%3famp=1

6 Likes

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by ShortBiscuit: 7:01am On Aug 24, 2023
Why is it that a currency ($) that Nigeria doesn't own nor print keeps having such an insane influence on our local economy??

232 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by igwebuike01: 7:20am On Aug 24, 2023
Crushing the middle-class

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Goodlyhrt(m): 7:21am On Aug 24, 2023
Hmm
Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Pierocash(m): 7:25am On Aug 24, 2023
Make it 600k. Thieves.

153 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Newdawn30: 7:26am On Aug 24, 2023
The middle class or average families are the ones feeling these harsh economic policies . I think what this present govt is doing is devilish

67 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by NOwazobia: 7:26am On Aug 24, 2023
Na wa oooo...

How much be Bus fare again... 😒

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Guyman01: 7:27am On Aug 24, 2023
Pierocash:
Make it 600k. Thieves.

You won't say this if you run a business under the current atmosphere even if its pure water you are selling, but I won't blame you since your work is extorting struggling bus and Keke drivers and threatening to break their side mirrors and windscreen while screaming "Owomida and Owo Shiaman"

149 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by DenreleDave(m): 7:28am On Aug 24, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin

For folks like me and some many others who haven't boarded a plane before because we can't afford it, this increment will only make the hope of boarding on a plane draw longer....

If i never get money to take it when it was 50k, shey na when dem increase am to 250k, na hin I go get the money to take flight within Nigeria. So I rather go for train or bus 🚍

Nigerians just always love to extort Nigerians

103 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Mcreloaded(m): 7:28am On Aug 24, 2023
ShortBiscuit:
Why is it that a currency ($) that Nigeria doesn't own nor print keeps having such an insane influence on our local economy??
Because we import everything we consume and you can't buy things from another country in naira.
Learnt thus in primary 1

117 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Acidosis(m): 7:28am On Aug 24, 2023
Frankly, airline is relatively cheap. No justification for charging less than 60k for a 1 hour trip while God is Good Motors charge around 30k for a journey of over 10 hours with high risk (robbery, kidnapping). In fact, airline only increased their fees recently. It's always been a 10-15k difference between airline and road trips (totally not worth it). Airline operators have been fair.

56 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by BigYash: 7:29am On Aug 24, 2023
Its Obi that caused the high cost of operation. And Obi won't be able to travel with air anymore. Let the agbadorians breath cheesy

On his mumudate they stood,they are now queuing for sachet of garri..

What about those fake bishops during campaign? Those guys must be enjoying the country now.. Fools!

Apc messed una up for good 8years.. Una still carry dey support same APC.

When Bat was avoiding debates ,them no still fit get sense to know that he has got nothing to offer.. cheesy

90 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by mrvitalis(m): 7:32am On Aug 24, 2023
I honestly don't get why u can get flight from London to Paris for under £50 ... There are flights under £20

Their pilots earn more, their workers generally earn more than Nigerian aviation workers by a factor of over 7

Aviation fuel is way cheaper in Nigeria

So why exactly is flight far more expensive in Nigeria

I honestly can't get it honestly

129 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by JaneYave(f): 7:41am On Aug 24, 2023
The expense of movement now is getting outrageous. Gone are the days people fly for business appointments and fly back after meetings. These days, you only move when necessary. This phase will surely pass.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by seborrhic: 7:50am On Aug 24, 2023
mrvitalis:
I honestly don't get why u can get flight from London to Paris for under £50 ... There are flights under £20

Their pilots earn more, their workers generally earn more than Nigerian aviation workers by a factor of over 7

Honestly,the distortion and paradox is puzzling.
Far higher paid workers,higher taxes,more regular and therefore costlier maintenance,yet their fares are still cheaper than that of Nigeria.
It just doesn't add up and doesn't seem to make sense.

86 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by CodeTemplar: 7:56am On Aug 24, 2023
What ?

Give some blackmen trade unions and they will fix prices instead of advancing services they render. Heard flight from Cotonou to Paris is way cheaper than from Lagos to London. Now what makes ours so expensive?

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by flokii: 7:57am On Aug 24, 2023
mrvitalis:

It's greed of the black man... The airline operators won't disclose the exact amount of money they make with just one trip carrying hundreds of passangers.. not to talk of the multiple trips per day and amount they make on weekly and monthly basis.
They have formed cabals in the aviation industry to be milking Nigerians just like other sectors.

One bus will carry 18 - 22 people max at 35k for 10 - 14 hours journey but plane will lift as much as 400+ passangers at once for airbus for a 1hr 15mins trip.
They are telling us rubbish just to jistify their own 419 activities.

79 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Calabar1stSon: 8:00am On Aug 24, 2023
DenreleDave:
grin grin grin grin grin

For folks like me who haven't boarded a plane before because I can't afford it, this increment will only make the hope of boarding on a plane draw longer....

If i never get money to take it when it was 50k, shey na when dem increase am to 250k, na hin I go get the money to take flight within Nigeria

And in your mind you think those of us glamouring for good governance are poor.

You're nothing yet but you keep supporting the wrong people to lord over you. You better grow up mister so you'd one day make enough to board airplanes too.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Chetas81(m): 8:05am On Aug 24, 2023
THIS IS WHAT YOU EXPERIENCE IN SHITHOLE

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Mosba: 8:06am On Aug 24, 2023
e no cost N1m?

7 Likes

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by IPG25(m): 8:06am On Aug 24, 2023
Let the p00r breath
Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Mindlog: 8:06am On Aug 24, 2023
Very expensive!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by zinaunreal(m): 8:06am On Aug 24, 2023
APC TWERKERS where una dey grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by yinchar(m): 8:06am On Aug 24, 2023
n
Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Brendaniel: 8:06am On Aug 24, 2023
Chai Tinubu is disappointing his supporters.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 24, 2023
APC is a failure

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by lokotamak(m): 8:07am On Aug 24, 2023
grin grin grin
Funny people.
Imagine 250k for a local flight

15 Likes

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Judolisco(m): 8:07am On Aug 24, 2023
Even if it's 300k Nigerians will still buy flight tickets.... Na we dey endure pass for dis world.... Other countries get breaking point, but I'm not sure it's in our own DNA

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by Sijo01(f): 8:07am On Aug 24, 2023
Patience! it will get there cheesy
Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by FuckTheMod: 8:07am On Aug 24, 2023
Thieves grin grin grin

It should cost a million naa

ABUJA TO LAGOS SHOULDN'T EVEN COST UP TO 100K EVEN WITH THE PRESENT INFLATION.
THE MAJOR PROBLEM IS GOVERNMENT EVIL AND HIGH TAXES

A country blessed with so much riches but still lacks many major basic amenities, yet government is still taxing services providers heavily.

YOU'LL BUY A CAR FROM YANKEE FOR TWO MILLION NAIRA AND GOVERNMENT WILL STILL TAX YOU ANOTHER TWO MILLION NAIRA JUST TO CLEAR IT.
WE NEED REVOLUTION IN THIS COUNTRY.
ALL THESE CORRUPT OLD FOOLS GOVERNING US NEEDS TO GO.

15 Likes

Re: Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators by GetSenseNow: 8:07am On Aug 24, 2023
DenreleDave:
grin grin grin grin grin

For folks like me who haven't boarded a plane before because I can't afford it, this increment will only make the hope of boarding on a plane draw longer....

If i never get money to take it when it was 50k, shey na when dem increase am to 250k, na hin I go get the money to take flight within Nigeria

Poor man supporting same people whose useless policies add to his poverty.
What a paradox

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Many Cows Dead After Truck Veered Off Highway And Crashed Into A Bush. Photos / Be Wary Of Northern Cyprus: FG Issues Travel Advisory For Nigerians / Lady Who Was Left In A Coma With Broken Ribs After Accident Tells Her Story.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.