Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,875 members, 7,810,333 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:16 AM

Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders (10273 Views)

2023 Presidency: Don’t Denigrate Yourself By Joining APC, Sagay Warns Jonathan / Tinubu Appeals To EndSARS Protesters To Call Off Protests / What Will Happen To Religious Leaders Involved In Partisan Politics – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by Fareke: 5:15am On Mar 29
President Bola Tinubu has called on religious leaders to refrain from vilifying or denigrating the nation in their sermons.

Speaking during Ramadan Iftar with traditional rulers and religious leaders at the State House on Thursday in Abuja, the President emphasized the important role of religious leaders in shaping public opinion and fostering a sense of unity among citizens.

He urged the leaders to be more constructive in their criticism of those in elective positions.

President Tinubu also declared that his administration is determined to turn Nigeria’s challenges into prosperity.

He reiterated that no terrorist can defeat the collective will of Nigerians, no matter how hard they try to prey on innocent citizens.

He urged traditional and religious leaders to forge a strong bond with the government to defeat terrorism, banditry, kidnapping, and other forms of criminality in the country.

”Yesterday in Abuja, I attended the burial of the 17 soldiers killed in action at Okuama, Delta State. I saw their pregnant wives and little kids.

”The love of the nation is in your hands. Pray for our country. Educate our children. The sermons we preach to the members of our churches and mosques are important.

”Do not condemn your own nation. As a Yoruba man and as our fathers will say, ‘No matter how slippery the bottom of your child is, you must leave the beads there.’

"Leave the beads there. This is your country; do not condemn it in sermons, do not abuse the nation. Leadership is meant for change.

”Yes, this leader is bad, fine. Wait until the next election to change him, but do not condemn your country. Do not curse Nigeria. This is a beautiful land.

The President, who acknowledged the birthday wishes and goodwill extended to him on the occasion, reminded the leaders that his birthday on March 29, 2024, coincided with Good Friday.

"I have earned the honour of having my birthday fall on Good Friday, and I pray that on this Maundy Thursday, you all shall return to your homes safely. May God guide and keep you and your families in good health, and lift your spirits,” the President prayed.

Different speakers at the dinner expressed gratitude for the opportunity to come together in the spirit of Ramadan to share a meal with the President and renew the bonds of friendship that unite the nation.

Vice-President Kashim Shettima emphasized the pivotal roles of religious and traditional rulers in promoting peace and unity, urging them to continue to ‘‘build bridges that transcend ethnic and religious divides.’’

The Vice-President expressed delight that the nation’s economy is on a rebound, noting the strengthening of the naira against the dollar.

”The President means well for the nation, and he has continued to redefine the meaning and concept of modern leadership.

”For many years, fuel subsidy was an albatross. The President took a bold decision from day one, and he hit the ground running. Now the economy is turning the corner,” the Vice-President said.

Speaking on behalf of the Traditional Rulers Council of Nigeria, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, assured the President of the unwavering support of traditional rulers and commended the government’s efforts to address the hike in food prices and the security challenges.

”You are not alone, Mr. President. The prices of food items and goods are gradually coming down. You are doing your best on security, and we cannot allow you to do it alone. We will join hands to support your vision for the betterment of our nation,” the Ooni said.

Ambassador Ahmed Nuhu Bamalli, Emir of Zazzau, speaking on behalf of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), highlighted the significance of Ramadan as a period of reflection, empathy, and unity.

On the security situation in the country, the Emir of Zazzau, who represented the Sultan of Sokoto and President General of NSCIA, expressed optimism that the country will return to peace and stability.

”I am happy to see representatives of Muslim and Christian communities in this room. I pray God Almighty blesses the President for him to do more to take the country to the Promised Land,” the Emir prayed.

Apostle Samson Fatokun, General Secretary of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), noted that the Ramadan dinner with religious and traditional leaders, coincided with Maundy Thursday, the Thursday before Easter, observed in commemoration of Jesus Christ’s institution of the Eucharist during the Last Supper.

The General Secretary, who delivered the address of CAN President, Archbishop Daniel Okoh, commended President Tinubu for fostering a harmonious relationship between the State and the Church.

”We are encouraged that your administration has shown great determination in tackling the challenges of kidnapping and banditry and bringing to justice the perpetrators of this dastardly act.

”We shall continue to show our support to your administration so that you can execute your noble intention for the nation,” CAN General Secretary said.
https://www.channelstv.com/2024/03/29/do-not-denigrate-nigeria-in-your-sermons-tinubu-appeals-to-religious-leaders/

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by id4sho(m): 5:18am On Mar 29
tongue

1 Like

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by BigkokoRep: 5:25am On Mar 29
The first sensible thing he has said since last year. But was quick to indirectly accuse his ministers and close associates of bribe talking to the Qataris. Wetin I Sabi sef, Asiwaju Sabi he people pass me!

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by helinues: 5:26am On Mar 29
They should stop being reckless with their statements .

Including those holding the key to gate of hell

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by SwissMass: 5:31am On Mar 29
eze-chukwu Bola Ahmed Tinubu

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by BigkokoRep: 5:32am On Mar 29
Mr. hell, don't you think this recklessness includes those subtly accusing his ministers and close associates of bribe taking to the Qataris? Don't you think so, old man!

I do tell some of these young people who look up to me for directions in life, "of you don't work hard and have hand work, you will most likely end up like Mr. Hellinus or Reno Omokri"

helinues:
They should stop being reckless with their statements .

Including those holding the key to gate of hell

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by helinues: 5:33am On Mar 29
BigkokoRep:
Mr. hell, don't you think this recklessness includes those subtly accusing his ministers and close associates of bribe taking to the Qataris? Don't you think so, old man!

I do tell some of these young people who look up to me for directions in life, "of you don't work hard and have hand work, you will most likely end up like Mr. Hellinus or Reno Omokri"

All this una shalaye is unnecessary except if you have issue with my initial comments

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by BigkokoRep: 5:36am On Mar 29
Failure to address my comment shows you as a double standard person, which majority of people see as!

Abi na only Asiwaju Sabi make reckless statements? Na so una former messiah go UK go accuse Nigeria youths of laziness whereas na the clown 🤡 no fit multiply he cows despite receiving millions from the State coffers as former Head of State....

helinues:

All this una shalaye is unnecessary except if you have issue with my initial comments

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by helinues: 5:37am On Mar 29
BigkokoRep:
Failure to address my comment shows you as a double standard person, which majority of people see as!

Abi na only Asiwaju Sabi make reckless statements? Na so una former messiah go UK go accuse Nigeria youths of laziness whereas na the clown 🤡 no fit multiply he cows despite receiving millions from the State coffers as former Head of State....

Ose aro kutukutu. Ain't interested in Oroki advert

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by BigkokoRep: 5:39am On Mar 29
I Sabi where your interest dey bruh..... continue. At this rate, your own go worse pass Lamidi Apapa that's if you no old pass am!

helinues:

Ose aro kutukutu. Ain't interested in Oroki advert

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by ideatoprince18(m): 5:44am On Mar 29
Oşarò Thursday!!!

Na now day break for him eye!!! .... He dosent want people to insult the country and its leaders but way back in 2012 he promoted and encouraged his fellow hooligans to insult and even parade the photo of a living president in a coffin!!!

May Almighty Allah have mercy on him

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by Racoon(m): 5:45am On Mar 29
Hear this drug baron, certificate forger, and mandate thief.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by sleek214(m): 5:45am On Mar 29
Especially those obidient pastors

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by Trigga001(m): 5:45am On Mar 29
I’m beginning to like this man.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by Alexlalax1(m): 5:46am On Mar 29
" your leader is bad, wait till the next election to remove him" see who is talking. You hijacked power in the name of it's my turn and you are now taking about elections. Oga, stop all these deceptive talks and fix the country oooo or .......

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by helinues: 5:48am On Mar 29
Racoon:
Hear this drug baron, certificate forger, and mandate thief.

Point out to the exact issue you have with his excellency statement.

See, you guys can't just be coming online to be hating on the president and Nigeria unnecessarily.

Na witch dey behave that way. You guys should stop being one

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by Obyangel: 5:49am On Mar 29
I pray for you Mr president, You really need to return this country back to the days of PDP/Jonathan time, bcuz Nigerians are dying in hundreds.

Hunger
Insecurity
Terrorism
Nepotism
Corruption
Kidnapping
And others are speedily raising everyday.

11 Likes

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by IfnobeGod20: 5:49am On Mar 29
I don't think any reasonable person want to denigrate Nigeria. It's the Nigeria situations that made many to speak out and tell the real situations as they are, which you yourself did when you were in opposition.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by enemyofprogress: 5:49am On Mar 29
Please what is the meaning of
vilifying and denigrating?
Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by greenermodels: 5:50am On Mar 29
I wonder how many paid social influencers are on the APC government payroll, they're always around to write senseless posts praising the government while insulting peaceful Nigerians, Nairaland moderators, please do something about these nauseating fools.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by enemyofprogress: 5:50am On Mar 29
Trigga001:
I’m beginning to like this man.
na him jazz dey work

6 Likes

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by Musty112: 5:51am On Mar 29
This is something that should go without saying. Do not bask or rejoice in the failings of the country, surely one way or the other, you as a citizen will be affected

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by malali: 5:52am On Mar 29
[b]Addressing the challenges of inflammatory sermons and ensuring the safety of Nigerians requires a nuanced approach that respects both freedom of speech and public safety. One avenue to explore is empowering state-level agencies, such as the Department of State Services (DSS), to collaborate with religious leaders in promoting responsible discourse within their communities.

It's crucial for state DSS to establish communication channels with prominent religious figures, ensuring they have access to their contact information. This partnership aims not to suppress religious expression but to prevent sermons that may incite violence or endanger the public.

In Nigeria, religious leaders often wield considerable influence over large congregations, sometimes using their platform for political purposes rather than solely religious teachings. It's essential to recognize the potential impact of such statements on social cohesion and political stability.

To address concerns about mental health and ensure the well-being of congregants, a system for periodic psychosocial assessments of religious leaders could be implemented. This preventive measure would help identify any late-onset mental illnesses that could compromise the safety of worshippers.

Furthermore, introducing a licensing system for mosques and churches with congregations exceeding a certain size could provide a regulatory framework for promoting responsible leadership. This system, managed by the government in collaboration with religious bodies, would require periodic license renewal and could include a nominal fee to cover administrative costs.

By implementing these measures, the government can demonstrate a commitment to safeguarding public safety while respecting religious freedoms and maintaining neutrality. It's imperative to engage with the broader public and religious communities to ensure understanding and support for these initiatives, fostering a culture of responsible leadership and civic responsibility.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by IfnobeGod20: 5:53am On Mar 29
helinues:

Point out to the exact issue you have with his excellency statement.

See, you guys can't just be coming online to be hating on the president and Nigeria unnecessarily.

Na witch dey behave that way. You guys should stop being one
Do you think everybody will be hailers of Tinubu. No reasonable person will want to denigrate his country but the prevailing situations made many to speak out and tell the story the way they are. That things are bad, you don't expect people to say they are good when in a real sense they have endure too long. Even Tinubu himself have one time denigrate the nation and her leaders ferociously. So it is not a new thing.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by UselessBuharist: 5:53am On Mar 29
Says a mandate thief

6 Likes

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by seanwilliam(m): 5:54am On Mar 29
Lead by example mr president

1 Like

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by socialmediaman: 5:55am On Mar 29
Don’t steal someone else’s mandate, that’s all

Nigerian leaders are just very bold. You embezzle funds meant for the people, then start blaming those calling you out for the consequences of your actions

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by FireUpNow(m): 5:56am On Mar 29
Are the politicians and leaders in this country not doing worst than the religious leaders Mr president?😄😄

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by helinues: 5:56am On Mar 29
IfnobeGod20:

Do you think everybody will be hailers of Tinubu. No reasonable person will want to denigrate his country but the prevailing situations made many to speak out and tell the story the way they are. That things are bad, you don't expect people to say they are good when in a real sense they have endure too long. Even Tinubu himself have one time denigrate the nation and her leaders ferociously. So it is not a new thing.

Do you have comprehension problem?

What's the correlation between the guy's comments with this thread?

So what opata are you writing in his defense when you yourself couldn't point out to what is wrong with Mr president statement.

Na witch dey hate unnecessary, make una stop being one

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by BluntCrazeMan: 5:58am On Mar 29
Is there any dint of glory left in Nigeria to be praised.??

So Tinubu wants religious leaders to tell lies?
And be telling the people to continue to pray for Nigeria, while he and his team continue to loot the little life that is remaining in the dieing Nigeria??

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by Kizzygentle: 6:01am On Mar 29
Thunder fire you .ozuor.. why if I may ask? You increase fuel to about 600 naira in the name of subsidy whereas no subsidy was removed. Basic commodities and food stuffs that should commonly be easily affordable for a normal life of an average or even below average citizen increased beyond affordability, national grid collapses almost every month,even the weather has become unbearably hot due to such, when u come out to talk or give speech, u always talk about corruption that we know should be the last thing in any govt agenda knowing u and your cohorts are the corruption, a lot has gone wrong in this country since u entered office , we complained about buhari bitterly thinking u would help ease that pain but instead u trippled the suffering to the extent buhari was a child's play. And u expect the religious leader to be quiet about it . Of course its affecting them too because their members can't even afford to give offerings and tithes again. They can't continue their building projects because cement that used to be 3k when we were complaining is now 8k and even at reduced rate .. And u open that shepe mouth to yarn okpat. May thunder finish u and that your wife that condemned immigrating for a better life..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Denigrate Nigeria In Your Sermons, Tinubu Appeals To Religious Leaders by IfnobeGod20: 6:05am On Mar 29
helinues:

Do you have comprehension problem?

What's the correlation of the guy's comments with this thread?

So what opata are you writing in his defense when you yourself couldn't point out to what is wrong with Mr president statement.

Na witch dey hate unnecessary, make una stop being one
Mr. President should stop preempting people because he is guilty of the same offence. The religious leaders that he thinks denigrate the nation, are not in real sense denigrating it but when they say things as they are, you people see it as they are against the government but all of us cannot sleep and face the same direction, says Yoruba adage. As some of you have taken the pleasure to be hailing government whether they do go or bad is immaterial to you people while those that want good for the country, tell the story the way they are and not trying to use one finger to cover it. Remember just lately he also denigrated the nation in Qatar by labeling his lieutenants as bribe takers. That's the worst thing a president should have said in a foreign trip.

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Lawyer's Explanation Of The Freedom Of Information Act 2011 / Enugu Monorail Nearing Completion / $1m Bribe Allegation: Ondo REC Threatens To Sue Jimoh Ibrahim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.