Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,072 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? (28493 Views)

Bad Roads Vs Good Roads: Which Is Responsible For Accidents? / Breath-Taking Aerial View Of Roads In Abuja - Photos / Pictures Of EPE, LAGOS Roads At Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Metrofox(m): 4:07pm On Mar 31
eepeepook:
Stop asking stupid questions.

Is there anything like a stupid question?
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by enambobo(m): 4:08pm On Mar 31
How many concrete roads have you seen with potholes? Though concrete roads are capital intensive but at the long run it is more durable and can last a lifetime. Asphalt on the other hand will require periodic maintenance. It is cheap on the short term but expensive in the long run. You can't compare the compressive strength of concrete to any other material in road construction.

So there is a large difference between asphalt and concrete both in terms of cost and durability. If you have the money I'll recommend concrete roads. Do it and go to sleep without worries of potholes!

1 Like

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Originalsly: 4:08pm On Mar 31
Bunnatex:

I prefer Asphalt as it's smoother for the car to run on.

But then I'm just thinking, can't both work out? Like to a concrete road and then smoothen it with Asphalt.

NB: This is just an Accountant asking, I'm not an expert in Engineering...

Just an observer as well ..... but I've seen both. I've seen Expressways.... for heavy duty traffic .... built with steel rods and reinforced concrete and topped with asphalt. Of late I see more and more roads built with concrete .... but not topped with asphalt. I found two things about such roads ... more road noise and more wear on tires. I do think temperature variation can be a factor ... since concrete will not be as flexible as asphalt ... more likely to crack and theirfore more difficult and expensive to maintain. From what I've seen generally .... concrete foundation ... asphalt top ... after X number of years ... the shalt is "scraped off" and a new layer laid... road is then renewed.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Bullfallo(m): 4:11pm On Mar 31
Concrete is not fun to drive on. Asphalt is better for smooth move. I think both should be better. After concrete job and a tine layer asphalt wouldn’t be bad.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Ynix(m): 4:12pm On Mar 31
zed7:
Concrete will crack with time. I still prefer asphalt better to maintain.

In like 10 to 20 years if well constructed and don't forget that flexible pavements will be scarified eventually and replaced often
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by palsenator(m): 4:13pm On Mar 31
zed7:
Concrete will crack with time. I still prefer asphalt better to maintain.

There are extension points incase of temperature increase.. The cracking has been reduced drastically with special cement solely meant for road other than building houses.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Ynix(m): 4:15pm On Mar 31
I believe the use of words are just for lay persons. In Civil Engineering it's either Flexible Pavements or Rigid Pavements.

Both has similar pattern of construction only that reinforcement of concrete is deployed for rigid Pavements. Under Normal circumstances Rigid Pavements can also be laid with asphalts
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by YelloweWest: 4:16pm On Mar 31
Asphalt look better but concrete lasts longer
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Prenonjebose: 4:18pm On Mar 31
It's more of the quality of work done by the engineer. Cutting corners that has been the bane of asphalt road construction would easily be replicated in concrete road. Maintaining concrete roads is more expensive, while the wear it has on tyres is worse. In cases of pot holes, which would eventual arise from cutting corners, the sharp edges from concrete roads can be extremely dangerous

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by akaahs(m): 4:20pm On Mar 31
Biodun556:
One is disadvantage I notice about concrete road is that price of cement has gone up.

I don't see how concrete is better than asphalt
Give ur reasons na
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Mac2016(m): 4:22pm On Mar 31
Bunnatex:

But then I'm just thinking, can't both work out? Like to a concrete road and then smoothen it with Asphalt.

It's not new. They are combined in some places. Concrete below asphalt topping. Some roads and in many bridge decks.

2 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by dgitrader(m): 4:24pm On Mar 31
Asphalt is better for cost, and lesser pressure on housing sector.

Effective Rail networks is a must for any asphalt road to last beyond a year or two.

Unfortunately we don't get it right in this country when it comes to development planning.

Concrete will bring more associated problems while only asphalt will continue to fail due to truck overloads. The devil and the deep sea
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by papalsayer(m): 4:29pm On Mar 31
Concrete is better due to many factors. Longer life span, fuel economy for vehicles due to the surface etc though asphalt is cheaper than concrete
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by papalsayer(m): 4:36pm On Mar 31
.Concrete is actually smoother than asphalt thus cars have better fuel economy when on concrete roads. The only reason asphalt is used is due to its low cost. Concrete supersedes asphalt if not considering cost
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by sematec(m): 4:37pm On Mar 31
concrete no dey smooth
asphalt is always better
and the resources is readily available all over Nigeria m
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Benwallt(m): 4:38pm On Mar 31
kenny714433:
Rigid pavement is way better

Although both have their own failures but the advantages of rigid pavement are quite enormous. It's expensive than flexible pavement in construction also.

On to which one is better. Na wa o
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Benwallt(m): 4:40pm On Mar 31
Giving Anambra as case study, flood can hardly wash concrete away as seen in Anambra State. Therefore, concrete is way better.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by ALFADOS(m): 4:43pm On Mar 31
Praying4Nigeria:
Very true.

In another News, GOD of Abraham that is CREATOR of Humanity and HE still answers Prayers of both Christians and Muslims that are pure in mind and action. Khadija(Arab Woman that became Prosperous through Business with Romans) start through Mohamed (Quran confirm they later married). So, Christians and Muslims have no reason to be fighting but to both search for the the Real hidden Truth. That is why so much similarity such as Rosary Praying, Scriptural similarities, Hijab covering of head which Roman Catholic started long before Islam, etc.
Also because the Quran dedicates an entire chapter to Mary - it is said by many that the same Roman Catholic Empire that worships the bisexual godess Queen of Heaven called Diana also know as Artemis READ (Acts 19:24-35) created Islam. Quran refers to "People of the Book" which proves that Christians existed earlier.

Sincerely Prayerfully Search for CREATOR of Humanity and HE would Reveal HIMSELF to you in TRUTH and in SPIRIT. Religion can not make any humanbeing to enter Heaven, only Complete Truth has that Capacity. Like if you Agree. Both Christians and Muslims should Copy and paste this link of the ONLY Site that Exposed all the Hidden Truth into Browser: AhayaSha.Blog spot.com/2023/11/the-true-original-hebrew-name-of-jesus.html?m=1
You have to remove the space between Blog and Spot after pasting into your Browser to enter the BlogSite above that Exposed all the hidden Truth.

Other references:
https://www.religiousforums.com/threads/catholic-church-created-islam.213566/

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Khadijah

the site was created by your god not human being like you, who's prone to errors.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by REGINALD001(m): 4:46pm On Mar 31
Praying4Nigeria:
Very true.

In another News, GOD of Abraham that is CREATOR of Humanity and HE still answers Prayers of both Christians and Muslims that are pure in mind and action. Khadija(Arab Woman that became Prosperous through Business with Romans) start through Mohamed (Quran confirm they later married). So, Christians and Muslims have no reason to be fighting but to both search for the the Real hidden Truth. That is why so much similarity such as Rosary Praying, Scriptural similarities, Hijab covering of head which Roman Catholic started long before Islam, etc.
Also because the Quran dedicates an entire chapter to Mary - it is said by many that the same Roman Catholic Empire that worships the bisexual godess Queen of Heaven called Diana also know as Artemis READ (Acts 19:24-35) created Islam. Quran refers to "People of the Book" which proves that Christians existed earlier.

Sincerely Prayerfully Search for CREATOR of Humanity and HE would Reveal HIMSELF to you in TRUTH and in SPIRIT. Religion can not make any humanbeing to enter Heaven, only Complete Truth has that Capacity. Like if you Agree. Both Christians and Muslims should Copy and paste this link of the ONLY Site that Exposed all the Hidden Truth into Browser: AhayaSha.Blog spot.com/2023/11/the-true-original-hebrew-name-of-jesus.html?m=1
You have to remove the space between Blog and Spot after pasting into your Browser to enter the BlogSite above that Exposed all the hidden Truth.

Other references:
https://www.religiousforums.com/threads/catholic-church-created-islam.213566/

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Khadijah

ONYE ERIRI ERI
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by olaridwan(m): 4:55pm On Mar 31
According to engineers.. Asphalt pavement is better..
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by pek(m): 4:57pm On Mar 31
Only those who don't know about concrete roads will think asphalt is better.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by stevups(m): 5:07pm On Mar 31
Asphalt can be manipulated by the contractors
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by PointZerom: 5:08pm On Mar 31
kenny714433:

Although both have their own failures but the advantages of rigid pavement are quite enormous. It's expensive than flexible pavement in construction also.

Either you lack comprehension abilities or you just login Nairaland and log off your brain.

Shut up.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by blowjohn(m): 5:16pm On Mar 31
kenny714433:

Either you lack comprehension abilities or you just login Nairaland and log off your brain.

Which kind harsh tongue u get like this?
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by brain54(m): 5:26pm On Mar 31
In the end...

It depends on the quality of construction done.

They are asphalt roads that have lasted for years and concrete ones that got washed away after a few months!
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Jeezuzpick(m): 5:31pm On Mar 31
kenny714433:

I can tell you a few reasons why I disagree with you.

You sound like a construction professional, so I will make free with the terminology.

One major advantage of flexible pavements is ease of maintenance.

You can get easily cut out potholes and fill with fresh asphalt, while you get problems with bonding and shrinkage in the case of concrete roads.

Super elevation of roads, where vertical curves are merged with horizontal curves, is handled better during construction with flexible pavements, because the sub-base and road base already have the geometry and you just lay the base and wearing courses to follow suit.

Concrete pavers tend to lay pavement in flat planes, so vertical transition can be a problem. Result? Bumpy ride around curves.

In Africa where we have intense heat in the day and relatively cool nights, thermal expansion is also a problem, especially when you consider the expansion differential between concrete and the reinforcing steel bars. Result? Some hideous cracks with sharp, jagged edges that can fuckup your tyres.

I say Asphaltic roads are waaay better from cost to operation and maintenance.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by mywells: 5:33pm On Mar 31
The combinations of concrete and asphalt is good to go,after concretely constructed they I think laying at least 2 inches of asphalt would change the face of the road ,won't be that raid.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by kiddkash(m): 5:34pm On Mar 31
post=129199904:
Concrete is a stronger material and can withstand heavier loads and harsher weather conditions.
It also does not soften in high temperatures like asphalt can, which can lead to cracks and potholes.
However, if repairs are needed, they can be more expensive and time-consuming for concrete roads.
Concrete crack overtime. Eg pillars of buildings
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by integrity16(m): 5:39pm On Mar 31
Concrete is by far better than asphalt.

Have you seen Oshodi Apapa Badagry express way? Reason why I'm so happy Lagos to Calabar coaster expressway was awarded to HITECH Construction who introduced that concrete technology.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by COMPAQ(m): 5:40pm On Mar 31
Bunnatex:

That can be done and is what you see play out on bridges because bridges are concrete to begin with and asphalt laid on top. That's why 3rd mainland bridge repair was so fast, cos the concrete base is still there and solid.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by 99thEnemy(m): 5:44pm On Mar 31
Biodun556:
One is disadvantage I notice about concrete road is that price of cement has gone up.

I don't see how concrete is better than asphalt

Ask any civil engineer who really knows what he or she studied and they will tell you that Concrete roads are by far better.

Even with the cost of cement now, its advantage outweighs its disadvantage.

Copied: 👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾

”Both concrete and asphalt roads have their advantages and are suitable for different situations:

1. Concrete Roads:

• Durability: Concrete roads tend to have a longer lifespan compared to asphalt roads. They can withstand heavy loads and are less prone to deformation over time.

• Low Maintenance: Concrete roads typically require less maintenance than asphalt roads. They are more resistant to weathering, erosion, and chemical damage.

• Reflectivity: Concrete has higher reflectivity, which can improve visibility at night and reduce the need for artificial lighting.

• Initial Cost: Concrete roads may have a higher initial construction cost compared to asphalt roads.

2. Asphalt Roads:
• Flexibility: Asphalt is more flexible than concrete, allowing it to better withstand fluctuations in temperature and minor ground movement without cracking.

• Quieter: Asphalt roads tend to produce less noise from traffic compared to concrete roads.

• Faster Construction: Asphalt roads can be constructed more quickly than concrete roads, reducing traffic disruptions during construction.

• Initial Cost: Asphalt roads generally have a lower initial construction cost compared to concrete roads.

In summary, the choice between concrete and asphalt roads depends on factors such as durability requirements, budget constraints, climate conditions, and traffic volume. Each material has its advantages and disadvantages, and the best option for a specific project will vary based on these factors.”
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by COMPAQ(m): 5:44pm On Mar 31
Jeezuzpick:

I can tell you a few reasons why I disagree with you.

You sound like a construction professional, so I will make free with the terminology.

One major advantage of flexible pavements is ease of maintenance.

You can get easily cut out potholes and fill with fresh asphalt, while you get problems with bonding and shrinkage in the case of concrete roads.

Super elevation of roads, where vertical curves are merged with horizontal curves, is handled better during construction with flexible pavements, because the sub-base and road base already have the geometry and you just lay the base and wearing courses to follow suit.

Concrete pavers tend to lay pavement in flat planes, so vertical transition can be a problem. Result? Bumpy ride around curves.

In Africa where we have intense heat in the day and relatively cool nights, thermal expansion is also a problem, especially when you consider the expansion differential between concrete and the reinforcing steel bars. Result? Some hideous cracks with sharp, jagged edges that can fuckup your tyres.

I say Asphaltic roads are waaay better from cost to operation and maintenance.

Thermal expansion should be worse in Europe cos the temperature differential there is even more. Houston can go from 23C in the day to 5c at night. Not sure I've ever seen temperature differential more than 5C in a day between high and low in southern Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4 Junior Cadet Officers Die In Road Accident Along Kano-Zaria Expressway (Photos / How Are Local Flights Boarded In Nigeria? / CRCC to construct 560km railway line in Ghana at $2bn, cost of 156km Lagos-Ibada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.