Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,760 members, 7,817,102 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? (28508 Views)

Bad Roads Vs Good Roads: Which Is Responsible For Accidents? / Breath-Taking Aerial View Of Roads In Abuja - Photos / Pictures Of EPE, LAGOS Roads At Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by COMPAQ(m): 5:46pm On Mar 31
99thEnemy:

Ask any civil engineer who really knows what he or she studied and they will tell you that Concrete roads are by far better.

Even with the cost of cement now, its advantage outweighs its disadvantage.

Copied: ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿพ

So tell me why The roads done by JB in Lagos in 2001, which I assume are asphalt are still superb

Awolowo road, Ikoyi
Kudirat Abiola, Oregon
Broad str, Marina
Inner Marina
Tejuosho rd, Yaba

1 Like

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Soknown: 5:50pm On Mar 31
The only downside to Concrete surface is the noise. Way too noisy than Asphalt.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by 99thEnemy(m): 5:53pm On Mar 31
COMPAQ:

So tell me why The roads done by JB in Lagos in 2001, which I assume are asphalt are still superb

Awolowo road, Ikoyi
Kudirat Abiola, Oregon
Broad str, Marina
Inner Marina
Tejuosho rd, Yaba

Where you expecting them to spoil?

it is known that standards concrete roads have a higher longevity to Asphalt roads.

If you have a standard asphalt road with a certain longevity, expect a standard concrete road to last longer.

donโ€™t forget the mention of the term โ€œstandardโ€
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by ignis: 5:57pm On Mar 31
Asphalt is far better than concrete in terms of sustainability.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by ignis: 5:57pm On Mar 31
Soknown:
The only downside to Concrete surface is the noise. Way too noisy than Asphalt.

What about the environmental carbon impact ?
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Ybholy(m): 5:58pm On Mar 31
MisterSuccess:
Good afternoon, well-meaning Nigerians,

Please I need your help Sir. I need your help Ma.

My name is Olaoluwa. I am 32 and an O-Level holder. I had a car accident last year, lost my job, and became jobless for months.

Please help me; I am seriously hungry. The last time I ate was Thursday evening, and it was my remaining garri that I drank. I have not eaten any other food since Thursday evening other than the water that I have been drinking to gain some strength. I can no longer endure the hunger; my body is starting to shake. Please, my people, I am really sorry for begging, but it is just that I am starving to death. Please, someone should help me with something to eat, no matter the amount. I don't mind. I will always appreciate you. I am starving. I know things are very hard these days. Anything you have to spare, I would really appreciate.

I live at No. 26, Osuolale Street, Bode Olude, Abeokuta, Ogun State.

If you live near me, please invite me for lunch; I am dying of hunger. May you never lack the good things in life. Please have mercy on me and help me.

My phone number is 0 7 0 1 8 9 7 4 5 8 3

Please help me with any amount; #600 will do a lot for me at this time.

Please, my bank details are:

Access Bank PLC
0 0 2 4 8 6 9 3 2 3
My name is Olaoluwa

I want to sell my Vivo V3.

Price: 20k

Please buy my phone. I need to buy food. I am beginning to feel pain in my stomach.

Since 2022,

Youโ€™re on this.

From Ogun state. Now living at Ajah Badore. Was trying to sell Vivo Y1 before, now Vivo V3 ๐Ÿ˜‚ u go soon enter V6.

Rest oga

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by prophetfire: 6:07pm On Mar 31
kenny714433:
Rigid pavement is way better

Although both have their own failures but the advantages of rigid pavement are quite enormous. It's expensive than flexible pavement in construction also.

Either you lack comprehension abilities or you just login Nairaland and log off your brain.
what is rigid pavement?
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by ebufa: 6:19pm On Mar 31
Bunnatex:
I prefer Asphalt as it's smoother for the car to run on.

But then I'm just thinking, can't both work out? Like to a concrete road and then smoothen it with Asphalt.

NB: This is just an Accountant asking, I'm not an expert in Engineering...
That is exactly how its done in high load bearing freeways in Indiana USA...........but you need experienced engineers to effectively accomplish such projects! If you use quacks ....you will regret ever going that route!

This is the disaster that ruined the ebonyi airport runway!

1 Like

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Ten06(m): 6:23pm On Mar 31
The concrete roads they constructed in Yenagoa are all rubbish.
They do not last more than a year before they scatter and look like the way it was
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by ellizy(m): 6:35pm On Mar 31
kenny714433:

Although both have their own failures but the advantages of rigid pavement are quite enormous. It's expensive than flexible pavement in construction also.

Either you lack comprehension abilities or you just login Nairaland and log off your brain.
Jesus!
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by stanisbaratheon: 6:42pm On Mar 31
Depends of some factors.

Cost, ease of maintenance, durability under traffic loads, ease of construction.

1. If you live where it rains every time then RC road is better.

2. If you live in a salty region (Southern region of Nigeria with high salinity), RC roads are also better because salty moisture could degrade bitumen easily than concrete.

3. Northern states with little rain fall throughout the year compared to the south can do better with Bituminous roads.

4. Overall, in terms of longevity, and long term cost, reinforced concrete roads are better.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by kenny714433(m): 6:42pm On Mar 31
prophetfire:
what is rigid pavement?

In Civil Engineering, what everyone knows as concrete road is actually rigid pavement. Flexible pavement is road done with asphalt.

1 Like

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by ellizy(m): 6:44pm On Mar 31
Asphalt is cost effective
Asphalt doesn't take much time, once it done, the road is motorable in 24hrs or less
It tends to have a longer span when standard material are been used.

Concrete isn't cost friendly
It requires a long time to come into completion
It tends to have a longer span on all weather conditions provided standard material are used
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Themandator: 6:53pm On Mar 31
Eleporobi:
Concrete is a stronger material and can withstand heavier loads and harsher weather conditions.

It also does not soften in high temperatures like asphalt can, which can lead to cracks and potholes. However, if repairs are needed, they can be more expensive and time-consuming for concrete roads.

I was in Ebonyi state on Tuesday and Wednesday and those concrete roads done within the last 5 years had already begun to go bad .
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by SoloCraft306: 8:51pm On Mar 31
It's the Rigid Pavement for me because it could withstand appreciable amount of Axial load and could still withstand the atmospheric conditions of any sort unlike the Flexible Pavement that lacks those merits to some extents still it depends on the cost implications as to what,where and how the project needed to be carried out and who is awarding the project to who. That is why you would see some company will never collect a flexible contract job just because of the demerits I just spoke of.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Jeezuzpick(m): 8:51pm On Mar 31
COMPAQ:

Thermal expansion should be worse in Europe cos the temperature differential there is even more. Houston can go from 23C in the day to 5c at night. Not sure I've ever seen temperature differential more than 5C in a day between high and low in southern Nigeria.

Hmmmmm......the differential might not be as important as the highest temperature reached in the day. I know I talked more about the differential, though.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Bimpe29: 9:01pm On Mar 31
flokii:
Concrete roads will last longer because of the iron rods embedded but asphalt ones are also good in terms of cost effectiveness. The only issue now is that quack engineers have made asphalt road works undesirable due to their shoddy and sub-standard jobs with pot holes visible within few months.
That's really where the challenges lies, lack of professionalism by the contractor/consultant. Asphalt roads in Nigeria have been disliked due to the shoddy efforts of the building process.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Jeezuzpick(m): 9:05pm On Mar 31
kenny714433:

I am shocked you disagree with me ๐Ÿ˜…
I am not shocked because you disagree, I am shocked because from your reply, you have intensive knowledge of what I said and should know better.

I agree with all what you have said, they are the disadvantages of rigid pavement. But don't also forget flexible pavement has it's own numerous disadvantages.

If we look at lifespan, rigid pavement has over 50 years while flexible has like 30 years if both are constructed properly.

Rigid pavement has greater load bearing capacity. It's always a better option compared to flexible pavement regardless of it's disadvantages.

Nevertheless, your response shows we still have intelligent people who can hold discourse. Others just quoted me to show how dumb they are.

We are allowed to take differing positions on a subject matter even when we possess good information about it.

Rigid pavements have a lot of advantages, but they are not a good replacement of flexible pavements where flexible pavements will do just fine.

You know, we consider many factors when choosing a type of infrastructure over another. Cost, speed of construction, environmental considerations, etc.

I like to tell people, the reason we in Nigeria feel that rigid pavements are totally better and should 100% replace flexible ones is because of corruption, which leads to substandard infrastructure. If an asphalt road is well built and properly drained, it will last and last.

There are roads in Abuja built in the 80s by Julius Berger that are still in use, with maybe a little patching in about 40 years. There are also concrete roads that are rutted and cracked even though they were built less than 10 years ago.

However, if we were to be honest, we will only consider rigid parents under special conditions where they are the absolute better choice.

Thanks for respecting my position. I respect yours, as well.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Ravenna: 10:01pm On Mar 31
Eleporobi:
Concrete is a stronger material and can withstand heavier loads and harsher weather conditions.

It also does not soften in high temperatures like asphalt can, which can lead to cracks and potholes. However, if repairs are needed, they can be more expensive and time-consuming for concrete roads.

Lie, you know nothing about road construction.

Concrete is better and cheaper to maintain.

I'm a Dangote staff tho and we've built over 2000km concrete roads in Nigeria.

Our loaded trucks of cement weighing 45tons performed better on concrete roads than on Asphalt.

Any repairs can be made easily by cutting out the bad portion with a precision engineered cutter and replace with concrete mixture.

No compression vehicle, no oils, no rakes, no spades nothing- just some well mixed gravels and a skillful Workman.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Abagworo(m): 10:16pm On Mar 31
Concrete without asphalt is useless but concrete with asphalt is the best
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by VIKTO83(m): 3:14am On Apr 01
All your analysis is it based on 12000 naira/bad of cement or on 3000/bag cement?
If our government should have to switch to Concrete basement, I suggest they set up a government owned cement factory which will ensure they use their stipulated quality.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Soknown: 5:04am On Apr 01
ignis:

What about the environmental carbon impact ?
I made that statement as a lay road user not an expert, So enlighten me.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Konquest: 6:54am On Apr 01
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Konquest: 6:58am On Apr 01
Ravenna:

Lie, you know nothing about road construction.

Concrete is better and cheaper to maintain.

I'm a Dangote staff tho and we've built over 2000km concrete roads in Nigeria.

Our loaded trucks of cement weighing 45tons performed better on concrete roads than on Asphalt.

Any repairs can be made easily by cutting out the bad portion with a precision engineered cutter and replace with concrete mixture.

No compression vehicle, no oils, no rakes, no spades nothing- just some well mixed gravels and a skillful Workman.
Succinctly stated.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by oyeb15: 7:48am On Apr 01
Concrete weaken over years. Asphalt get stronger
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by BALLOSKI: 8:49am On Apr 01
Biodun556:
One is disadvantage I notice about concrete road is that price of cement has gone up.

I don't see how concrete is better than asphalt
you're contradicting yourself.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by BALLOSKI: 8:53am On Apr 01
oyeb15:
Concrete weaken over years. Asphalt get stronger
lol no be asphalt wey we de see everywhere?

If there's no soil shift, concrete stays longer.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Biodun556(m): 11:11am On Apr 03
M

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Federal Government Evacuates 542 Stranded Nigerians From UAE (Photos) / Nigerians In Ireland,how are you Coping With The Recession And The Eu Bailout? / My Street In Canada After 6am heavy Snowfall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.