Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,019 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? (28505 Views)

Bad Roads Vs Good Roads: Which Is Responsible For Accidents? / Breath-Taking Aerial View Of Roads In Abuja - Photos / Pictures Of EPE, LAGOS Roads At Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Aforxzy(f): 3:42pm On Mar 31
Concrete pavement lasts longer than asphalt pavement.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Donedeal1(m): 3:42pm On Mar 31
Our love for cutting corner

Made me know what's going to happened

To concrete road

Level of failure will be high.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Chetas81(m): 3:43pm On Mar 31
LEARN FROM ADVANCE COUNTRY, DON'T DISTURB PEOPLE'S PEACE
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by dangoteinlaw: 3:43pm On Mar 31
Concrete but too expensive so therefore for areas with light traffic asphalt is economical but for heavy trucks passage concrete is preferrable. Concrete has a negative effect on economies coz it drives up the cost of homes thereby causing homelessness. Recently Nigeria has adopted the use of rigid pavement ie concrete now look how much cement costs and it's going to get worse. Dangote is set to become worlds 5th billionaire soon and house will become almost unafordable
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by EducasionMe(m): 3:44pm On Mar 31
Rug or capet is good
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by dangoteinlaw: 3:46pm On Mar 31
Aforxzy:
Concrete pavement lasts longer than asphalt pavement.
easier said engr but it causes shortage of cement thereby increasing house cost and causing homelessness. Just like fuel subsidy any country that starts going rigid pavement should causion the effects or else mass homelessness looms.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by HitRun(m): 3:48pm On Mar 31
Concrete pavement portholes are extremely dangerous if not repaired immediately. The edges are hard and sharp and can tear a vehicle tire easily.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Biodun556(m): 3:48pm On Mar 31
adioolayi:
Well, with what I have seen and experienced with concrete roads on Apapa-Oshodi Expressway (Iyana Oworo to Apapa)...I will go for concrete...

Since that road was completed, no portion of the road have any form of irregularities, bend, or what have you.

Lagos-Ibadan Expressway that is constructed with asphalt...some portions of that road is already having some sort of uneven surfaces, bendings and won't be long before we start seeing potholes.

Concrete evidence
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by dangoteinlaw: 3:49pm On Mar 31
MrProlific95:
Let the Engineers speak. We have a housing deficit, why waste money for increasing cement because of Umahi and his concrete road rave
exactly my fear for concrete roads coz it creates even a worse economic effect than fuel subsidy removed and u will have a room selfcon going for 2m naira.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by hotseat: 3:49pm On Mar 31
Apart from the the cost difference, I would go for concrete roads for the purpose of durability.

This is because most asphalt roads don't stand the test of time and they give room for shoddy jobs by unscrupulous contractors.

We don't want a situation where roads said to have been completed are reawarded year in, year out.

Soup wey sweet, na money kill am!

@hotseat
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by nini007(m): 3:51pm On Mar 31
Biodun556:
One is disadvantage I notice about concrete road is that price of cement has gone up.

I don't see how concrete is better than asphalt
Concrete is way better
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by bennynaza(m): 3:51pm On Mar 31
Eleporobi:
Concrete is a stronger material and can withstand heavier loads and harsher weather conditions.

It also does not soften in high temperatures like asphalt can, which can lead to cracks and potholes. However, if repairs are needed, they can be more expensive and time-consuming for concrete roads.

Asphalt softens because the constructor was economical. If they had applied more stone/chippings than asphalt, the road shouldn't have that hot temperature worries.

1 Like

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by jaytime(m): 3:52pm On Mar 31
Concrete is better. You can't do shoddy job with concrete but with Asphalt, wicked contractors have a way of coating 'coal tar' over laterite sand and call it road construction. You know such job when rain comes and wash it off within a short period of time.
But with concrete, as you are doing the road, everybody is seeing the kind of iron reinforcement you are deploying, the thickness of the aggregate etc. In short, an average passerby knows about concrete so you can't manoeuvre anything.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Faruq987: 3:53pm On Mar 31
Biodun556:
One is disadvantage I notice about concrete road is that price of cement has gone up.

I don't see how concrete is better than asphalt

Dave umahi concrete road is becoming durable in Ebonyi state!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Tdotbluejays1: 3:56pm On Mar 31
Front an engineering point of view, Asphalt is better.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by BarrElChapo(m): 3:57pm On Mar 31
dangoteinlaw:
easier said engr but it causes shortage of cement thereby increasing house cost and causing homelessness. Just like fuel subsidy any country that starts going rigid pavement should causion the effects or else mass homelessness looms.

This is capping. If you know the amount of housing projects undertaken in parts of Nigeria you'll know that no amount of road construction will cause prices of cement to go up rather it's the housing projects that should make it go up when compared to road construction.

The manufacturers aren't being sincere.

2 Likes

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by emperor4love(m): 3:59pm On Mar 31
As an engineer, asphalt
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Urgent1Million: 4:00pm On Mar 31
GreatOchuks:
I prefer Glass
Seconded.
😂😂😂😂
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by BarrElChapo(m): 4:01pm On Mar 31
Tdotbluejays1:
Front an engineering point of view, Asphalt is better.

How ? Care to elaborate?
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by maxiuc(m): 4:01pm On Mar 31
Any Asphalt that is 2 3 inch is just yeye
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by emperor4love(m): 4:01pm On Mar 31
MisterSuccess:
Good afternoon, well-meaning Nigerians,

Please I need your help Sir. I need your help Ma.

My name is Olaoluwa. I am 32 and an O-Level holder. I had a car accident last year, lost my job, and became jobless for months.

Please help me; I am seriously hungry. The last time I ate was Thursday evening, and it was my remaining garri that I drank. I have not eaten any other food since Thursday evening other than the water that I have been drinking to gain some strength. I can no longer endure the hunger; my body is starting to shake. Please, my people, I am really sorry for begging, but it is just that I am starving to death. Please, someone should help me with something to eat, no matter the amount. I don't mind. I will always appreciate you. I am starving. I know things are very hard these days. Anything you have to spare, I would really appreciate.

I live at No. 26, Osuolale Street, Bode Olude, Abeokuta, Ogun State.

If you live near me, please invite me for lunch; I am dying of hunger. May you never lack the good things in life. Please have mercy on me and help me.

My phone number is 0 7 0 1 8 9 7 4 5 8 3

Please help me with any amount; #600 will do a lot for me at this time.

Please, my bank details are:

Access Bank PLC
0 0 2 4 8 6 9 3 2 3
My name is Olaoluwa

I want to sell my Vivo V3.

Price: 20k

Please buy my phone. I need to buy food. I am beginning to feel pain in my stomach.
wen will u stop dis
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by BucketHat(m): 4:01pm On Mar 31
linkers:
It is an eyesore with ones the deceptive umahi did for us in Ebonyi

Ebonyi state concrete road constructed under the former governor is super sub standard compared to that of Oshodi-Apapa express way.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by survival1(m): 4:02pm On Mar 31
Both can as we have what is called composite pavements where you lay the rigid (concrete) pavement before laying the flexible (Asphalt) pavement. That's what is used in Nigeria bridges.
Bunnatex:
I prefer Asphalt as it's smoother for the car to run on.

But then I'm just thinking, can't both work out? Like to a concrete road and then smoothen it with Asphalt.

NB: This is just an Accountant asking, I'm not an expert in Engineering...

1 Like

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by wildernessVoice: 4:02pm On Mar 31
Get ready for tyre regular worn out when riding on rigid pavement. The noise is embarrassing. Try Kabba road you'll understand better.
Concrete is only suitable on road ply by heavy duty trucks.
The newly awarded Lagos Calabar coastal road was awarded over #1 trillion in a country where hunger is raging and at long run expensive to maintain.
Why not save money and feed the hungry in the land.
We need power more than expensive rigid pavement. Powe will accelerate industrialization, employ our Youth.
We should be thinking of rail transport for heavy haulage and eliminate the heavy trucks causing damage to our asphalt roads.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Jeje247: 4:03pm On Mar 31
It's possible this talk of concrete roads have made cement manufacturers and marketers to hike cement prices. They want to eat national cake too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by pinknipple: 4:05pm On Mar 31
No pavement is absolutely rigid. But concrete, and reinforced concrete ones are considered are so considered, compared with asphalt (macadam) and cobblestone pavements for example.

All types of pavements require a careful preparation of the sub base, the ground underneath them, in order to guarantee its sustained use under transit loads. Clays and friable materials must be removed and replace by selected soils that have to be compacted to specified bearing capacity by the Proctor assay to be able to support the road above.

Now, the main drawback of rigid pavements is that when the sub base caves in ever so slightly, due to ground movement, or leaching out due to improper or unforeseen surface water runoff, they will not accommodate by following the resulting slump, as a flexible tarmac would, leaving a hollow underneath that, refilled with water will start pumping out a sludge by the alternating movement of the pavement itself acting like a piston under the cyclic loads of vehicles, and this pumping will increase the hollowed out area until the pavement break due to flexural stress and a nasty pothole develops.

When paving up large areas in regions with high precipitation, concrete and reinforced concrete share with tarmacs the characteristic of being impervious, thereby magnifying runoffs and inundating urban areas. Cobblestone paving, seated on a layer of sand, require more maintenance but are able to absorb rainwater in a much higher degree,
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by mabea: 4:05pm On Mar 31
zed7:
Concrete will crack with time. I still prefer asphalt better to maintain.
Not that easily because the outer layer is still lain with asphalt
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by funsho75(m): 4:06pm On Mar 31
Hmmm

If you have well constructed projects for both concrete and Asphalt

After observing 2 roads constructed by Dangote in kogi. The one from kabba junction to Obajana was done with asphalt and the second side from Obajana to kabba was done with concrete

I think asphalt is better.
1. It has the ability to heal itself to a large extent due to changes in temperatures
2. It is healthy for tires
3. It last longer

But concrete roads can be easily repair without need for serious professional, locals can mix cement and repair little damage.
Re: Concrete Vs Asphalt Roads: Which Is Better? by Skyehigher1: 4:07pm On Mar 31
I prefer concrete than asphalt in many ways

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Federal Government Evacuates 542 Stranded Nigerians From UAE (Photos) / My Street In Canada After 6am heavy Snowfall / Nigerians In Ireland,how are you Coping With The Recession And The Eu Bailout?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.