Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,136 members, 7,821,879 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? (894 Views)

How Did You Survive Your Divorce In The UK? / Nigerians Abroad, How Do You Cope With The Coronavirus Issue? / Nigerian Students In Australia: Survival Tips!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gigdraft: 5:33pm On Apr 04
Let’s be honest with ourselves. Studying abroad (Japa) isn’t particularly easy for average Nigerians who are self-sponsored (paying their own fees). If, for example:

1. Obi takes a Japa loan of N20m to study Cyber Security in Canada.

2. The lender expects Obi to pay N1m monthly for 24 months (with N4m as interest).

3. Not that bad, right?

4. However, the reality is that Obi has no means of amortizing his loan. He is supposed to study and not to work.

5. Meanwhile, Obi’s only hope is to work while also studying in Canada to meet his monthly loan commitment.

6. Unfortunately for Obi, he got to Canada, and reality suddenly dawned on him.

7. Obi meets loads of assignments, coursework, group work, class presentations, and exercises, which demand more time than he could spare for work. To make matters worse, Obi’s wife and kids won’t stop ringing his phone to send some $ for their upkeep.

Can you relate to Obi's situation? Maybe? How then do you survive? Do you just abandon schoolwork and focus on your loan repayment or cut communication with your lender and family?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:39pm On Apr 04
I can't advise a married man with children to leave Nigeria on a student visa. Better off finding a sponsorship job or getting permanent residency from Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gift96: 5:46pm On Apr 04
4. However, the reality is that Obi has no means of amortizing his loan. He is supposed to study and not to work..

Obi Shouldn't have taken a loan of 20 million to go study knowing he has wife and kids back in Nigeria. He could have taken half of that loan and invested it in a reasonable business.

Wait for a turn over (ROI) for 3 years and travel convinently. No clear cut path to success sha. Obi good luck o

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gigdraft: 5:47pm On Apr 04
tensazangetsu20:
I can't advise a married man with children to leave Nigeria on a student visa. Better off finding a sponsorship job or getting permanent residency from Nigeria.
That's another way to look at it, but how about a married man with a low CRS score (and no PNP alternative)?
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gigdraft: 5:49pm On Apr 04
Gift96:

Obi Shouldn't have taken a loan of 20 million to go study. She could have taken half of that loan and invested it in a reasonable business.

Wait for a turn over (ROI) for 3 years and travel convinently. No clear cut path to success sha. Obi good luck o
What if Obi is already in Canada and going back to Nigeria is not an option now because the N20m is almost exhausted?
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:51pm On Apr 04
Gigdraft:
That's another way to look at it, but how about a married man with a low CRS score (and no PNP alternative)?

Then the person should stay back in Nigeria cause studying in Canada at the moment doesnt guarantee a permanent residency. The scores are still high even after graduating. The person is better off learning french in Nigeria and getting PR.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gift96: 5:51pm On Apr 04
Gigdraft:
What if Obi is already in Canada and going back to Nigeria is not an option now because the N20m is almost exhausted?

Naa so money dey quick finish.

If he is ready to cut off his Lenders, that solves the problem. That means he will have to cut off his wife and kids too.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by LordIsaac(m): 6:03pm On Apr 04
tensazangetsu20:
I agree. It is almost impossible to serve two masters here, especially when you are doing advanced degrees!
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:04pm On Apr 04
LordIsaac:

I agree. It is almost impossible to serve two masters here, especially when you are doing advanced degrees!

Bros. It should be listed amongst the top 1000 ways to die.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by LordIsaac(m): 6:04pm On Apr 04
Hmmm…life!
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Lordlontor: 6:48pm On Apr 04
Gigdraft:
Let’s be honest with ourselves. Studying abroad (Japa) isn’t particularly easy for average Nigerians who are self-sponsored (paying their own fees). If, for example:

1. Obi takes a Japa loan of N20m to study Cyber Security in Canada.

2. The lender expects Obi to pay N1m monthly for 24 months (with N4m as interest).

3. Not that bad, right?

4. However, the reality is that Obi has no means of amortizing his loan. He is supposed to study and not to work.

5. Meanwhile, Obi’s only hope is to work while also studying in Canada to meet his monthly loan commitment.

6. Unfortunately for Obi, he got to Canada, and reality suddenly dawned on him.

7. Obi meets loads of assignments, coursework, group work, class presentations, and exercises, which demand more time than he could spare for work. To make matters worse, Obi’s wife and kids won’t stop ringing his phone to send some $ for their upkeep.

Can you relate to Obi's situation? Maybe? How then do you survive? Do you just abandon schoolwork and focus on your loan repayment or cut communication with your lender and family?
How old be obi sef?
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Lordlontor: 6:49pm On Apr 04
Gift96:

Naa so money dey quick finish.

If he is ready to cut of his Lenders, that solves the problem. That means he will have to cut off his wife and kids too.
Sharp guy
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gigdraft: 6:54pm On Apr 04
Lordlontor:
How old be obi sef?
Let's say 35 years.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Lordlontor: 6:55pm On Apr 04
Gigdraft:
Let's say 35 years.
Cool. Make obi DM this account if e gallant
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Lordlontor: 6:58pm On Apr 04
tensazangetsu20:

Then the person should stay back in Nigeria cause studying in Canada at the moment doesnt guarantee a permanent residency. The scores are still high even after graduating. The person is better off learning french in Nigeria and getting PR.
Naira no good. If you no your way you will run it. Nothing dey there. Nigerians can survive anywhere. All my guys dem buy car and house within 1 year. I no fit just dey cast update for here
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gigdraft: 7:01pm On Apr 04
Lordlontor:
Cool. Make obi DM this account if e gallant
For what exactly, and why does he needs to be gallant?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Lordlontor: 7:04pm On Apr 04
Gigdraft:
For what exactly, and why does he needs to be gallant?
happy survive
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Lordlontor: 7:08pm On Apr 04
Onye ji ugwo. You de inside gbese you still get pride 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gigdraft: 7:14pm On Apr 04
Lordlontor:
Onye ji ugwo. You de inside gbese you still get pride 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Your account was registered today, so I would assume you are a troll. FYI: Obi's case was an analogy, and not necessarily a personal scenario.

Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Lordlontor: 7:21pm On Apr 04
Gigdraft:
Your account was registered today, so I would assume you are a troll. FYI: Obi's case was an analogy, and not necessarily a personal scenario.

Chill na help I won help. I register acc today is not mean I want to troll. Take chill pill relax. Who obi help sef
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gift96: 7:34pm On Apr 04
Lordlontor:
Chill na help I won help. I register acc today is not mean I want to troll. Take chill pill relax. Who obi help sef

You fit o cry
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Lordlontor: 7:40pm On Apr 04
Gift96:

You fit help me too sha oo cry
If u get OT why I no go help u?
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gigdraft: 8:01pm On Apr 04
Gift96:

You fit help me too sha oo cry
It's quite glaring. @Lordlontor is trying to lure anyone gullible enough into something shady. Please be careful of falling victim.
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Lordlontor: 8:10pm On Apr 04
Gigdraft:
It's quite glaring. @Lordlontor is trying to lure anyone gullible enough into something shady. Please be careful of falling victim.
I no get ur time
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Lordlontor: 8:31pm On Apr 04
Gift96:

You fit o cry
Drop location make boys mend u
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gift96: 8:34pm On Apr 04
Lordlontor:
Drop location make boys mend u
Jew cheesy I go tell my B40 dem make we H.I.T if you lose guard. Obote
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Lordlontor: 8:36pm On Apr 04
Gift96:

Jew cheesy I got tell my B40 dem make we H.I.T you
Dem never born ur pale when I don dey game. Drop location if e sure 4 u
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gift96: 8:37pm On Apr 04
Lordlontor:
Dem never born ur pale when I don dey game. Drop location if e sure 4 u

God for all man. All man for hin sef
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Lordlontor: 8:39pm On Apr 04
Gift96:

God for all man. All man for hin sef
U no get level I sabi who I dey follow talk?
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gift96: 8:39pm On Apr 04
Lordlontor:
U no get level I sabi who I dey follow talk?
who goes you?
Wetin be your 411
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Lordlontor: 8:42pm On Apr 04
Gift96:
who goes you?
Wetin be your 411
see dis one wey dem no mend finish dey id me. Ib lord 4 my caba wo ur pale b sef
Re: Nigerian Students Abroad: How Do You Survive? by Gift96: 8:43pm On Apr 04
Lordlontor:
see dis one wey dem no mend finish dey id me. Ib lord 4 my caba wo ur pale b sef

You dey Jonze

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bad Experiences You've Had Living Outside Of Naija / Travel Expert Advice Needed / Adventure To Owu Falls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.