Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira (787 Views)

How Is The Electricity Bill In Your Area? / Consumers To Pay Full Electricity Rates From July 2021 / I Will Pay Above 30,000 Minimum Wage If Elected-sanwo-olu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by jmoore(m): 4:19pm On Apr 05
The average electricity rate in USA is 15.45 cents. [Source https://www.energybot.com/electricity-rates/ ]

In the state of Nebraska, they pay the lowest, which is 9.85 cents.

1 cents = 0.01 dollars.

15.45 cents = 0.1545 dollars

1 dollar = 1,251 naira

1 dollar = 100 cents

100 cents = 1,251 naira

15.45 cents = 193 naira.

NOTE: There is nothing like band a or band b in USA. Every customer has access to 24 hours power supply.

NERC recently approved 225 naira for band A users which is way above the average rate in USA.

From these findings and taking into consideration the standard of living in USA and Nigeria, 225 naira per kwh is an overvalued price. NERC is cheating Nigerians.

Let's look at the lowest tariff in USA, which is 9.85 cents in Nebraska, that's 123 naira per kwh. It doesn't make sense for Nigerians to pay 123 naira per kwh or any amount higher than that.

Cost of labour, production, etc is more expensive in USA than in Nigeria. I think The maximum tariff in Nigeria should not exceed 66 naira.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by Nbote(m): 4:29pm On Apr 05
The foolishness of banding areas is laughable. Since u are charging based on units used, why do some areas have to pay more for having more light? W8nce they have more light their unit is used up more so what is th3 meaning having some people pay more?

8 Likes

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by burp18: 4:35pm On Apr 05
Let's look at the lowest tariff in USA, which is 9.85 cents in Nebraska, that's 123 naira per kwh. It doesn't make sense for Nigerians to pay 123 naira per kwh or any amount higher than that.
See as you dey confuse yourself. How is $9.85=123 naira🙄

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by jmoore(m): 4:41pm On Apr 05
burp18:

See as you dey confuse yourself. How is $9.85=123 naira

Where did you see dollar sign in front of '9.85 cents'?

You are the one confusing your own confusion.

5 Likes

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by socialmediaman: 4:44pm On Apr 05
@jmoore you might want to add that at N1,300 = $1, the N225 is 17 cents per KWH
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by LegendHero(m): 4:51pm On Apr 05
I clearly don’t get this argument.

In investor sense, where will it cost more to provide 24hrs of light? Nigeria or USA?

In USA, they have the infrastructure and bandwidth to carry the load and mitigate against wastage and etc.

Why electricity have been low in Nigeria is because the government is subsidizing it massively.

If people are not good with the new increase, then the best thing will be to protest to the government to return the subsidy back. Not comparing nonsense between the two markets.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by jmoore(m): 5:07pm On Apr 05
LegendHero:

In investor sense, where will it cost more to provide 24hrs of light? Nigeria or USA?

In USA, they have the infrastructure and bandwidth to carry the load and mitigate against wastage and etc.

Why electricity have been low in Nigeria is because the government is subsidizing it massively.

If people are not good with the new increase, then the best thing will be to protest to the government to return the subsidy back. Not comparing nonsense between the two markets.

The subsidy is a SCAM. Paying trillions of naira for subsidy for a meagre 5,000 megawatts that is not even steady is a SCAM.

Was it the customers that financed the power infrastruture in USA?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by burp18: 5:10pm On Apr 05
jmoore:

Where did you see dollar sign in front of '9.85 cents'?

You are the one confusing your own confusion.
Is your brain paining you? If the 9 is the cents, what is the .85 that comes after it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by BondRiv: 5:19pm On Apr 05
Those making these insensitive policies are listening to the IMF.

7 Likes

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by jmoore(m): 5:23pm On Apr 05
burp18:
Is your brain paining you? If the 9 is the cents, what is the .85 that comes after it?
Oya, go back to nursery school.

3 Likes

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by Seefinish: 5:26pm On Apr 05
And we have gas in abundance.

1 Like

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by Cindypresh(f): 5:26pm On Apr 05
LegendHero:

Government has been subsidising darkness is that what you mean?? Because the last time nigeria was viewed from the space, more than 85% of it is in total darknes.

Meanwhile, what is wrong if the government subsidises electricity for her citizens or are you one of those that have sworn to be defending incompetent government?? Like you did with buhari
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by slivertongue: 5:39pm On Apr 05
APC is an insensitive collection of political investors. a gang of jobbers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by Racoon(m): 5:44pm On Apr 05
Nigeria practice the US system of democracy but will never copy or implement any similar policies or indices of good governance for its people. What a country.
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by LegendHero(m): 5:51pm On Apr 05
Cindypresh:

Government has been subsidising darkness is that what you mean?? Because the last time nigeria was viewed from the space, more than 85% of it is in total darknes.

Meanwhile, what is wrong if the government subsidises electricity for her citizens or are you one of those that have sworn to be defending incompetent government?? Like you did with buhari

You can call it darkness. But they are still subsidizing that small light they give to people.

If we operate at full capacity, how much of those huge load can government subsidize before it go broke?

Thats the question you should answer. Now for Band A, government pushed the real price and everyone is complaining that it’s outrageous.

So if you’ll now have 24hrs light, how do you or the government afford it conveniently?

1 Like

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by Goodvibes007: 5:52pm On Apr 05
jmoore:
The average electricity rate in USA is 15.45 cents. [Source https://www.energybot.com/electricity-rates/ ]

In the state of Nebraska, they pay the lowest, which is 9.85 cents.

1 cents = 0.01 dollars.

15.45 cents = 0.1545 dollars

1 dollar = 1,251 naira

1 dollar = 100 cents

100 cents = 1,251 naira

15.45 cents = 193 naira.

NOTE: There is nothing like band a or band b in USA. Every customer has access to 24 hours power supply.

NERC recently approved 225 naira for band A users which is way above the average rate in USA.

From these findings and taking into consideration the standard of living in USA and Nigeria, 225 naira per kwh is an overvalued price. NERC is cheating Nigerians.

Cost of labour, production, etc is more expensive in USA than in Nigeria. I think The maximum tariff in Nigeria should not exceed 66 naira.

Where is the basic charge that get added into monthly bills though? Mine is $30 a month irrespective of whether I use that power or not.
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by LegendHero(m): 5:52pm On Apr 05
jmoore:

The subsidy is a SCAM. Paying trillions of naira for subsidy for a meagre 5,000 megawatts that is not even steady is a SCAM.

It is financed by private firm in the USA.

At least for for Georgia, I know we have Georgia Power, Gas South, and Cobb EMC who are all private.

When you buy a house or rent, you just call them and they come to lay all the necessary gadget and amenities you need to get that power in your house. After them, you start paying them monthly.

For my own house, I paid $146 for last month bills alone.

—I agree the price is too much for struggling Nigerians and people can protest that NERC should review the price down and bring back subsidy for band A guys. But I just detest the way Nigerians are going about thinking electricity is cheap anywhere. Not in a country lacking infrastructure like Naija.

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by Goodvibes007: 6:04pm On Apr 05
jmoore:

You don't want subsidy and you also don't want the power companies in the transmission and distribution business to increase tariffs so that they can stay afloat and have money to finance capital projects plus maintenance. Better for gov to bring the subsidy back.
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by Melagros(m): 6:07pm On Apr 05
COMRADES Nigerians brace up for more hardship under the evil APC and Tinubu's government
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by ivandragon: 6:08pm On Apr 05
As long as the government continues to encourage discrimination in the distribution of electricity, that sector cannot develop.

There should be a progressive demographic development of power infrastructure that would be accessible to all.

Once an area has coverage (statewise) everyone in that area should pay a progressively standard rate rather than cherry picking who should get what amount of light even when such an area might be the least productive economically.
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by Gustavowhite(m): 6:43pm On Apr 05
APC

Association of past Criminals

Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by idahme(m): 6:44pm On Apr 05
burp18:
See as you dey confuse yourself. How is $9.85=123 naira🙄

Cents not dollars
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by kettykin: 6:45pm On Apr 05
I hope this new tarrif doesn't apply to aba
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by Slytiger: 6:46pm On Apr 05
kettykin:
I hope this new tarrif doesn't apply to aba
Dey play. Because those ones told you that they are in the business of dashing free electricity after obtaining bank loans to finance the project grin
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by michlins(m): 6:54pm On Apr 05
Since when did we start spending dollars in Nigeria that the government will be using dollar as benchmark to charge electricity bill.

Pay workers using dollar rates and charge accordingly. Unlike developed economies, Nigeria is still blessed with insane resources which are more than enough to power our cities and still be charged based on our income as a people.

Just so you know,we have gas, solar, oceans for wind and coal plus water for dams.

The masses are made to pay for the incompetence of the government. When government was embezzling the funds meant for the power sector, the masses were not party to it. So why should the masses made to pay.

Just before you think you're not affected because you are currently not in band A, your power provider can decide today to upgrade you against your will and you will be made to pay the insane rates with your meager income
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by Bobloco: 7:23pm On Apr 05
LegendHero:

I marvel whenever I come across this lie, falsehood and propaganda being paddle by Tinubu minions just to justify the cluelessness of the current regime

What is wrong in government subsidizing electricity?
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by LegendHero(m): 8:18pm On Apr 05
Bobloco:

I marvel whenever I come across this lie, falsehood and propaganda being paddle by Tinubu minions just to justify the cluelessness of the current regime

What is wrong in government subsidizing electricity?

Nothing is wrong with it if government have the money.
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by Bobloco: 8:23pm On Apr 05
LegendHero:

Nothing is wrong with it if government have the money.

And you believe these people in government when they tell you that there's no money to subsidize electricity.
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by LegendHero(m): 8:56pm On Apr 05
Bobloco:

And you believe these people in government when they tell you that there's no money to subsidy electricity.

Yes I believe them. If power subsidy alone gulps over 3trillion, what the is left for other sector like defense, Agriculture, education, and etc? How much is Nigeria budget and how much is our revenue?

If I am the president, I’ll call a doubtable. Then tell you to choose one. Should we continue to pay the 3trillion and overlook other critical sectors? If Nigerians agree then subsidy should continue. No one should just come tomorrow and start complaining that there is no new road or etc.
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by Bobloco: 9:42pm On Apr 05
LegendHero:

Yes I believe them. If power subsidy alone gulps over 3trillion, what the is left for other sector like defense, Agriculture, education, and etc? How much is Nigeria budget and how much is our revenue?

If I am the president, I’ll call a doubtable. Then tell you to choose one. Should we continue to pay the 3trillion and overlook other critical sectors? If Nigerians agree then subsidy should continue. No one should just come tomorrow and start complaining that there is no new road or etc.

If you can believe this current crop of charlatans in government, you can believe anything
Re: See The Electricity Rates In USA And Why Nigerians Should Not Pay Above 66 Naira by Bukswag(m): 10:29pm On Apr 05
Yet another utterly stupid thread. I don't seem to understand the constant comparison with developed countries, it is the most ignorant thing to do when evaluating policy implications such as this.

The Nigerian economy is every whit different from developed countries like the USA. The factors that govern macroeconomics development are so unique that it is pure bigotry to try to reconcile both economies.

This increase in tariff may be unreasonable and difficult for most Nigerians but the need to justify this argument through comparison with developed countries is baseless to say the least.

(1) (Reply)

Africa Needs Marshall Plan? / Help With A Project From Usa / Ghanaian President Survives Auto Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.