Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me (11732 Views)

Senator Abdul Ningi Resigns As Chairman Of Northern Senators Forum / Boy Places Shirt For Senator Akpabio To Walk On, Gets N500K To Buy New One / Senator Akpabio To Be Formally Received Into APC On Thursday - APC UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Paraman: 7:15pm On Apr 05
Mr Umeh Kalu (SAN), counsel for the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, has said that the decision and resolution to suspend Senenator Abdul Ningi (PDP-Bauchi) was that of the Senate sitting in plenary and not that of Akpabio.

Kalu stated this in a letter to human rights lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN) titled, “Re: Request to Lift the Suspension of Sen. Abdul Ningi” and made available to newsmen in Abuja on Thursday.

Ningi was suspended by the Senate for three months on March 12 over the 2024 Budget padding allegation.

Kalu in the letter said, “We are solicitors to Sen. Godswill Akpabio and write you in respect of the above subject matter at his instance.

“Your letter of March 27, with the above caption has been referred to us with instructions to react thereto.

“We have carefully read through your analysis of the facts and circumstances leading to your client’s suspension from the Senate.

“We are unable to find reason in your verdict of our client’s sole culpability in the said suspension. We therefore plead non est factum for our client. ”

The letter further read, “In addition to the above and contrary to the contents of your letter under reference, our client was at no time your client’s accuser, prosecutor and
judge.

“Our client’s role at the session of the Senate that led to your client’s suspension was and remains the statutory role of a Legislative House Presiding Officer, which role equally includes pronouncing the majority decision of the Legislative House at the end of debate and voting.

“Permit us to mention your attempt at drawing our client’s attention to legal authorities and pronouncements of our courts of record on the unconstitutionality of suspending members of Legislative Houses.

“Which attempt we dare say was unhelpful, due to your failure or refusal to make available, the relevant particulars of the said court decisions in your letter.

“You may wish to provide these legal authorities which you have alluded to, bearing in mind that every decision of a court emanates from its peculiar facts, circumstances and extant laws.

“In as much as it may not be necessary to canvass herein all the remedies available to our client, in response to your threats of a court action and petition to the Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee (LPDC), it is important we mention that legislative proceedings are guided by rules.

“We urge you to give due consideration to the legal issues raised in this letter and be guided accordingly in your further and future action in respect of this matter.”

https://punchng.com/senate-not-akpabio-suspended-ningi-counsel-replies-falana/?utm_source=telegram&utm_medium=social

8 Likes

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by successmatters(m): 7:16pm On Apr 05
The summary of this long epistle is, Akpabio is afraid of the northern power brokers, who may be speaking through Falana.

Next topic o jare

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by bolaayenimo: 7:24pm On Apr 05
Nonsense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by shortgun(m): 7:31pm On Apr 05
Lawless rascals, the senate doesn't have the power to suspend a senator or any legislator.
I wonder the version of the constitution these miscreants read

9 Likes

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Oghene86: 8:39pm On Apr 05
Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Laurene: 8:54pm On Apr 05
shortgun:
Lawless rascals, the senate doesn't have the power to suspend a senator or any legislator.
I wonder the version of the constitution these miscreants read
I wonder too.
His electorate voted him into power and they alone should recall or remove him.

What's the need of going to vote in Nigeria when judges determine who finally holds the mantle?

Of what use is the people's votes when a bunch of charlatans can disenfranchise a whole constituent by suspending their leader without their endorsement?

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Chicagograduate(m): 10:37pm On Apr 05
There was no investigation of Akpabio s budget padding before Ningi was suspended.He was not summon to defend the allegation in the floor of the senate chamber like they do during ministerial screening and budget defence.
Akpabio is a thief.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Paraman: 10:45pm On Apr 05
successmatters:
The summary of this long epistle is, Akpabio is afraid of the northern power brokers, who may be speaking through Falana.

Next topic o jare
Did you even go through the article at all Chibuzor? grin

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Paraman: 10:48pm On Apr 05
Chicagograduate:
There was no investigation of Akpabio s budget padding before Ningi was suspended.He was not summon to defend the allegation in the floor of the senate chamber like they do during ministerial screening and budget defence.
Akpabio is a thief.
Ningi was giving the chance to defend himself

Ningi, who brought various documents to defend himself said he never said the budget bwas padded but insisted that N 3 trillion is not traced to any project in the 2024 bugget.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/businessday.ng/news/article/senate-in-rowdy-session-over-2024-budget-allegations/%3famp=1

Ningi later got the arithmetic and denied what he said, but it was too late for him.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Helinuesmybaby: 10:59pm On Apr 05
A republic of rogues

16 Likes

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by malali: 12:17am On Apr 06
Thats how you know a weak leader.

Tinubu did not say Nigerians removed oil subsidy, not me.

Tinubu did not say Nigerians removed dollar subsidy, not me.

Tinubu did not say Nigerians removed electricity tariffs, not me.

When e reach Akpabio turn, he bucked and defaulted the blame to "The senate"

Akpabio you are in charge of the senate, anything that happens in the senate, you shoud be able to defend it with logical explanations. Not passing the buck to others.Those are signs of a weak leader.

10 Likes

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by oz4real83(m): 6:57am On Apr 06
Akpabio just came to consolidate corruption in the house. I still remember when Akpabio was alleged to be planning to run away from Nigeria because he thought APC under PMB will fight corruption, he realized that all Nigerian politicians were the same and his conclusion was right, he stayed back and has been enjoying the dividends of corruption ever since embarassed

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by adioolayi(m): 6:58am On Apr 06
It's true..

Na Senate suspended him, Senator Akpabio was only a presiding officer at that time grin cheesy grin cheesy

Falana should sue the Senate and leave Akpabio alone.

grin cheesy grin cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Phred1717: 6:58am On Apr 06
Who is the Senate... Mr President
Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Whyme24(m): 6:59am On Apr 06
Ok
Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Cassandraloius: 6:59am On Apr 06
Thieves.
Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by NaijaCover(m): 7:00am On Apr 06
Following
Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by pretydiva(f): 7:01am On Apr 06
Oga are you not part of the senate? You are just a lily liver

2 Likes

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by DeltaBachelor(m): 7:01am On Apr 06
issues upon issues. Which way 9ja ?
Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Ofunaofu: 7:01am On Apr 06
If someone must be guided, it is certainly Akpabio.
Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by broadman20: 7:02am On Apr 06
Laurene:
I wonder too.
His electorate voted him into power and they alone should recall or remove him.

What's the need of going to vote in Nigeria when judges determine who finally holds the mantle?

Of what use is the people's votes when a bunch of charlatans can disenfranchise a whole constituent by suspending their leader without their endorsement?

You forgot that the senate has rules and regulations guiding her which is empowered by the law of the federal republic of NIGERIA.

9 Likes

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by otomatic(m): 7:05am On Apr 06
Excellent response.
Ningi should drag the Senate to court.
Such actions deepen our democracy. Let the court determine if the Legislature can suspend a member they did not elect.
However, instead of being away from the Senate for 3 months, a court case might make him away for 8 years plus a little further complication when INEC announces a new senator for his constituency during next general elections.

3 Likes

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Yankee101: 7:05am On Apr 06
You’re on your own
Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by seunmsg(m): 7:11am On Apr 06
successmatters:

Next topic o jare

It’s obvious you read another letter. Ningi remains suspended by the Senate and that’s it. Media propaganda is not working. He will serve his full suspension. Period!

4 Likes

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Kingpele(m): 7:12am On Apr 06
There's no country that have the kind of citizens we have without having wicked leaders. This man exposed official corruption within the budget and got suspended yet citizens kept quite...I thought what the senate should have done will be to clear the areas he raised...explaining to citizens how such huge amounts allocated to same areas repeatedly will be implemented without any corrupt practices...or acknowledge the error within the budget and remove the padded part of the budget...suspending a senator who came to the chamber of senate the same way u guys came in .without clear evidence of error in what he said is undemocratic and evil...yet the so called friends of the country (enemies in disguise) won't see anything wrong with what the senate did to one of their own...others have now decided to avoid, talking about what they know about the budget.same budget which impart will be felt by the citizens and residents of this great nation ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by kennyz247(m): 7:22am On Apr 06
We hear
Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Laurene: 7:26am On Apr 06
broadman20:

You forgot that the senate has rules and regulations guiding her which is empowered by the law of the federal republic of NIGERIA.
Which law is that? Which part of the constitution?
If there's any, there should be a process where the matter is debated and deliberated before a vote call is brought to the floor where it's decided.

Not some bunch of agbada-wearing fascists deciding to disenfranchise quarter of a state's electorate.
Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by badoh(m): 7:33am On Apr 06
successmatters:

Next topic o jare
If it was a southern senator that was suspended by senate presided by a northerner, would the north demand that he be reinstated? The guy don misyearn and let him face the consequence of his utterances. The southerners should unite on the suspension, no one is above the law.

3 Likes

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Gbajabiamila1: 7:45am On Apr 06
malali:
Thats how you know a weak leader.

Tinubu did not say Nigerians removed oil subsidy, not me.

Tinubu did not say Nigerians removed dollar subsidy, not me.

Tinubu did not say Nigerians removed electricity tariffs, not me.

When e reach Akpabio turn, he bucked and defaulted the blame to "The senate"

Akpabio you are in charge of the senate, anything that happens in the senate, you shoud be able to defend it with logical explanations. Not passing the buck to others.Those are signs of a weak leader.
Person sue Pastor or Imam for excommunicaiting him and you expect the pastor or imam to keep quiet when it was a joint decision of the church or mosque elders?

2 Likes

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by Gbajabiamila1: 7:49am On Apr 06
Kingpele:
There's no country that have the kind of citizens we have without having wicked leaders. This man exposed official corruption within the budget and got suspended yet citizens kept quite...I thought what the senate should have done will be to clear the areas he raised...explaining to citizens how such huge amounts allocated to same areas repeatedly will be implemented without any corrupt practices...or acknowledge the error within the budget and remove the padded part of the budget...suspending a senator who came to the chamber of senate the same way u guys came in .without clear evidence of error in what he said is undemocratic and evil...yet the so called friends of the country (enemies in disguise) won't see anything wrong with what the senate did to one of their own...others have now decided to avoid, talking about what they know about the budget.same budget which impart will be felt by the citizens and residents of this great nation ...
Try dey watch Seun's program on Channels TV once in a while. He has invited some senators to discuss this issue and they have shed light on it. You may not completely agree with their defence but you won't type all these after watching.

7 Likes

Re: Akpabio to Falana: Be guided, Senate suspended Ningi not me by broadman20: 8:11am On Apr 06
Laurene:
Which law is that? Which part of the constitution?
If there's any, there should be a process where the matter is debated and deliberated before a vote call is brought to the floor where it's decided.

Not some bunch of agbada-wearing fascists deciding to disenfranchise quarter of a state's electorate.

Waooooo!

What you are doing now is like asking me, WHO GAVE THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT POWERS TO MAKE BY-LAW, WHEN WE ALREADY HAVE A CONSTITUTION?

The constitution has already empowered them to do that. Just like the constitution gave the national assembly the power to make rules and regulations guiding the houses and if you go against it you will be sanctioned just like Ningi.

This are all necessary as a tool for SOCIAL CONTROL.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Nnyin Ayaya - O! / Pictures Of Governor's House Built By Former Ekiti Governor / Ayade Wins Supreme Court Ruling, His Election Upheld

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.