Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,743 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs (36205 Views)

NPFL Clubs To Slug It Out For Dozy Mmobuosi/npfl Super Cup Star Prize Of N1.5bn / Fan To Tony Elumelu: 'Buy Manchester United' - He Reacts / Coronavirus: NPFL Clubs To Pay N2.5 Million Per Game For Tests (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by ednut1(m): 11:03pm On Apr 08
spartachico:
I'm talking about pre season match against a Nigerian league team
Portsmouth also played kano pillars at same abuja stadium . 5-0

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/3871194/pompey-punish-pillars

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by unscripted(m): 11:05pm On Apr 08
sonnie10:
Did iwuanyanu not buy Spartans of Owerri to become iwuanyanwu Nationale?
Even Abiola babe
El kalemi worriirs
E cLeventis
Julius Berger
These are not state owned. That concept of private ownership is football clubs is not new to Nigeria.
don't mind the children comment ing up and down , shooting stars is still a very big deal to ibadan people.. they don't know what rangers mean to the people of enugu .. we just need proper administration and a robust investment ,, that sector will be a huge employer of labour

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by porthouse7(f): 11:15pm On Apr 08
Juliusganduje:
Local league is not worth investing in.
if the the league is well organized and price money is increased it will be worth investing
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by almayda: 11:17pm On Apr 08
Better late Than never

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by Crownbackhome: 11:34pm On Apr 08
Eleporobi:

Exactly

England premier league is also a local league in their country.
It makes it to be international league when you're watching from other countries. This is because, many of their billionaires purchase those clubs and make it big. So if, our billionaires here in Nigeria do the same, it will go a long way.

God day

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by onuman: 11:43pm On Apr 08
Juliusganduje:

Did you not witness the beautiful football years of Rangers International of Enugu, Stationery Stores of Lagos, Kano Pillars, Mighty Jets of Jos (which wouldn't complete a match without a fight erupting), Shooting Stars of Ibadan, the almighty Abiola babes of Abeokuta, Sharks of Portharcourt, etc?
Nigeria's football league was stronger in the 1970s than present European leagues.
Because recent past leaders of Nigeria had no interest in football, Nigeria's football league collapsed.
In the last 8 years for example, Nigeria's major preoccupation was on cattle roaming the streets and how Fulani cattle farmers would occupy a spot in every local government area of Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by Berankis: 11:48pm On Apr 08
Nazgul:

That's because the league currently lacks investors. Most of the clubs are managed by state governors who care very little about the welfare of the players.

With the right investors, enough money would be pumped into the league. Thus increasing the quality of players, giving it a facelift and an increased fan base. And with time we'll give the south African league a run for their money. Youths would troop into various stadiums across the country every week to catch a glimpse of the action.

Even European clubs wouldn't mind coming down here for pre-season tour cos our league would be standard.
Reminds me of when we used to follow the American hip-hop Artists in the 90s and by 2000s from Tuface, Plantation Boys, Tequila, PSquare, Ruggedman etc we started following our own music Artists and look at where we are today.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by 1972xy: 12:35am On Apr 09
Late Moshood Abiola ( mko) tried it with Abiola babes. He was frustrated by Nfa and Nigerian government until he disbanded the team.
Same thing went with Leventis united.
Our Government is our problem.
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by DLawD1: 1:10am On Apr 09
Juliusganduje:
Dreaming is allowed.
correct
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by ussv: 1:59am On Apr 09
I`m surprised nobody is blaming APC yet lol
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by agabusta: 2:08am On Apr 09
Freshtruth:
you think if it happens dey will engage Nigerian refs? The ref will be from Europe

To much corruption in Nigeria. It affects everything.

Will all the officials from top to bottom also come from Europe?

Nigerians that see white but call it blue and still expect the country to develop. Too much nepotism. It affects the common good.

1 Like

Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by agabusta: 2:10am On Apr 09
ebenholer2:
They should do first thing first…by putting in place good management team(i.e. referees, assistant referees, match commissioners and people of high repute). If these will not be done then the billionaires money is about going down the drains

Unfortunately the integrity level of 90% of Nigerians are nothing to write home about when put in a position of influence.
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by Saviola86: 3:54am On Apr 09
The billionaires will use it as another private vehicle to siphon more money with help from the government
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by mctowel01: 4:50am On Apr 09
Best players and best leagues are two different things. Just as Premier league is the best league, it doesn’t mean it has the best players as there are better players in germany, spain.

Same with brazilian league. No one really watches it but they sure produce one of the best players in the world

Pumpi
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by onadana: 6:29am On Apr 09
Nazgul:

That's because the league currently lacks investors. Most of the clubs are managed by state governors who care very little about the welfare of the players.

With the right investors, enough money would be pumped into the league. Thus increasing the quality of players, giving it a facelift and an increased fan base. And with time we'll give the south African league a run for their money. Youths would troop into various stadiums across the country every week to catch a glimpse of the action.

Even European clubs wouldn't mind coming down here for pre-season tour cos our league would be standard.

Dey dream .. European club's coming for preseason tour in a land filled with insecurity,no rule of law...are the European club's progressing or..... what?
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by Dpharisee: 7:08am On Apr 09
kereman1:
Naija league wey referee dey bet for the match wey him dey officiate, over 6.5 yellow card.
Home to score penalty.

Naija referee go cashout big time.
That was in the past. Nigerian league is now unpredictable, the matches are televised and recorded and referees are under scrutiny by CAF

1 Like

Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by Menclothing1: 7:27am On Apr 09
Each club should be sold at 10b
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by Sleekfingers: 7:28am On Apr 09
MALLEOLUS2017:
It's a good idea but with the nature of local leagues, how many people buy tickets to go watch live local matches Possibility of investment will now be minimal except if they want to run charity.

People will start buying tickets to watch ..if there is improvement..

I remember back in the day , people do watch Nigerian leagues ,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by Armaggedon: 8:13am On Apr 09
Shikena:
The likes of Remo Stars, Sporting Lagos and Doma United at the top level of Nigerian league are private ownership ventures.

There is a nice Youtube documentary on Sporting Lagos.

More people should think outside the box. Sports is huge business and sports marketing is not something to ignore. We have ignored this goldmine for too long. Teams like Pillars, Shooting Stars, Rangers, Bendel, Rivers, Enyimba etc should be real money spinners. This is already happening in smaller African countries including Tanzania.
neither Doma nor sporting Lagos is at any top level.
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by commoditiesnig: 8:45am On Apr 09
It will be great for billionaire investors to buy these clubs.. Just like what happens the world over
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by TYCO77: 9:43am On Apr 09
[color=#000099][/color]
Juliusganduje:

See them, self enemies. Let me remind you should you have forgotten, investment is the act of putting money, effort, time, etc. into something to make a profit or get an advantage, or the money, effort, time, etc. used to do this. It is traditionally defined as the "commitment of resources to achieve later benefits". Presently, our local league might not be viable but with injection of money, formulation of good policies and efforts over a period of time definitely it will a worthwhile venture.
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by zedegit: 10:29am On Apr 09
nlfpmod:
Tony Elumelu has hinted at plans by Nigerian billionaires to buy Nigerian league clubs. This he revealed while reacting to a post by a social media user, Adedayo Mustapha, suggesting that.

Adedayo Mustapha

Tony O. Elumelu, CFR

I no see viability with the insecurities the country get. I no even loud say na taboo for you to beat another team for their home.Na stones go settle am.
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by Femeto: 10:43am On Apr 09
Good idea but don't expect ROI until after 10 years.
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by Babyielo: 11:18am On Apr 09
My crush...
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by magabounce(m): 11:25am On Apr 09
This is absolutely interesting..
Imagine content creators with fresh content the ripple effect on, hotels and transportation..
The benefits are endless
Nazgul:

Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by Owaincouncil: 11:40am On Apr 09
Na bribe and refree go kill the idea. It won't be competitive again but the highest bidder
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by IbeOkehie: 12:24pm On Apr 09
Love800:
Are u saying there should not be ministry of sports? I thought other nations have something like a sport head in the government. Though they dont call it minister of sports.

Well I don't know EVERYTHING but I know that most markets experience increased quality and productivity when government controls are removed. So I don't need to know any particulars, it's a macroeconomic thing.

In the USA all sports are private. The only sport I know with government legal controls is baseball, the law allows Major League Baseball to maintain a legal monopoly for cultural and sentimental reasons. There may be others but I doubt it. I'm 99% sure all the other leagues are private.

The USA Olympic Teams are purely private.

There's no Ministry or Department regulating professional sports in the USA. It doesn't exist at any level of government.

Government gets a say in school sports because they fund schools. City governments subsidize the cost of stadiums and such but they're privately owned. There's always been strong opposition to such subsidies but most of the time when city referendum are called to decide on it, the people vote to give the teams the money.

I'm almost certain it's all private in Western Europe too.

I was shocked when I discovered that government owns and controls sports in Nigeria. Not that I should have expected anything better sha.

Good Luck to Nigeria
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by robosky02(m): 12:44pm On Apr 09
Juliusganduje:

Even EPL was not worth investing in some years back

Park well
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by Shikena(m): 2:32pm On Apr 09
Top level means top division of the football league.

In Nigeria, we have the NPFL at the top level with other divisions at various lower levels.

Armaggedon:
neither Doma nor sporting Lagos is at any top level.
Re: Elumelu Reacts To Suggestion That Nigerian Billionaires Should Buy NPFL Clubs by Shikena(m): 2:38pm On Apr 09
Most of these guys have no clue on what they are talking about.

Full matches and match highlights of Nigerian league matches are on youtube for those truly interested in the current state of Nigerian league.

Our people have this habit of making emphatic statements based on stale information with no effort to update to current status.

Dpharisee:

That was in the past. Nigerian league is now unpredictable, the matches are televised and recorded and referees are under scrutiny by CAF

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Throwback Photo Of John Mikel Obi / Alan Ruschel Back To The Football Pitch After Surviving Plane Crash / Ahmed Musa Celebrates His 26th Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.