Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,025 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo (10339 Views)

Things That Can Weaken A Man's Erection By Dr Olufunmilayo / No Exercise Or Drug Can Grow The Penis- Dr Olufunmilayo / ‘No Man Can Shift Your Womb’ - Dr Olufunmilayo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Bahamas95(m): 12:45pm On Apr 11
If you have opportunity to leave this pathetic country do that fast without hesitation, Nigeria health care is nothing to write home about. Don't let anybody forming patriotism deceive you.

Many citizens that have died wouldn't be in the grave today if we have a working system, everything in Nigeria is messed up....... 70% of medical practitioners in Nigeria don't have regard for human life. They talk to patients anyhow, most especially female nurses. Very annoying animals in uniform.
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Mattabba1: 12:51pm On Apr 11
Maybe they thought they were acting a movie.
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Fatbam005: 12:52pm On Apr 11
Not every risk is worth taking. Life has no spare part. Nawa ooh. We don't even know who licensed those rickety boats
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Angelfrost(m): 12:53pm On Apr 11
For you Anti-Japa activists... This is one of the main reasons people 'flee' this country.

The other day was someone bleeding to death from a cut to the arm while someone was busy filming rather than applying pressure, first aid and calling paramedics.

Speaking of which... Do paramedics even exist anywhere in Nigeria?!!

Is emergency medical help even a culture amongst us?!! How many states have truly functioning emergency services you can access within minutes of dialing a simple number?!!

Some of us know Rico Swarvey would be alive and kicking today if he were in another serious minded nation.
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Paracetamol01: 1:00pm On Apr 11
Emergency landing 🛬🛬🛬🛬
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by spiceadole: 1:04pm On Apr 11
rinzaugustine:
I don’t think he came back to life like they rumored earlier because it is medically impossible for a human being to lay at the bottom of the river ( before local marine divers rescued him) for 2 hour + and still be alive. When I saw him brought out rigor mortis had already set in as his hands and legs are already frozen to the original position he died in. The bigger issue then comes to the fact that in Nigeria they have minsters, commissioners , directors, heads etc from the federal to sometimes local government level who receive billions annually and are charged with overseeing the inland water ways because thousands of Nigerians commute through these routes daily. What do they do with the billions ? Making life jackets compulsory for such trips is what is obtainable in decent societies but in Nigeria you won’t even find them in office and when they are there would be drinking beer with plates of pepper soup and watching TV

I also believe the young man was already dead by the time he was out of the river.
I think the mortician gave them the story of " he is still alive" in order to make them take the body to a hospital to be certified dead by a doctor which is the standard protocol.
The level of ignorance in Nigeria is alarming.
Glad I left when I did

1 Like

Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Britishpea: 1:08pm On Apr 11
Namaster:
"Tomorrow someone will say it’s better to earn 200k in Nigeria than earn $2,000 in usa."

Only fools believe this.

The fact that they took an accident victim directly to a Mortuary then to a ritualist after discovering he was still alive is NOT even the worst part. The worst part is that even if he were taken to a hospital, he would still end up dead due to the nonchalance and negligence of the medical staff and the poorly equipped hospital.

It's people who have not been sick with more than Malaria Fever that believe in the efficacy of Nigerian healthcare.

That's why I will ALWAYS advise anyone who can afford it to LEAVE Nigeria. It's not even about the money. It's about living in a society where life is sacred. And there are systems in place to keep it sacred.

There is no reason this man should be dead. Nigeria failed him like it has failed a LOT of people before him and it'll fail many more after him.

You were making sense until the last part. Nigeria didn’t fail him but Nigerians failed him. Nigerians youths who happen to be unintelligently loud with no deep education about life generally but are quick to come on social media to flood the pages of unconfirmed villain to attack them, who use all avenue to attack Nigeria without rational thinking, just like you, who happen to be the most senseless and busy bodies among all youths in Africa, took him to the mortuary , without first Aid cpr, and then took him to a ritualist, failed him. He also failed himself by not asking for life jacket as an A list actor. He was supposed to stand his ground that he was not going anywhere without a life jacket.

If the youths like you had taken him to the hospital first, instead of the mortuary and then ritualist , a high chance is available for him ti survive.

Again, you are the Nigeria. Nigeria is a space but you make the country. So what do people who make up the country do to help Junior? They helped kill him further. Grow up in your head not your body size.

Correctly, anyone who thinks people leave Nigeria just because of money is sick

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Think9ja(m): 1:12pm On Apr 11
k
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by eteba(m): 1:14pm On Apr 11
What a loss!

May their souls RIP
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by fitinwell: 1:16pm On Apr 11
phemmie06:
You said it all, the only thing our government is fast doing is:

We are sorry for the loss, we will ensure things like this won't happen again. We will investigate the matter and punish anyone culpable according to law.

No Fast disbursing Money, for their selfish interest..

Then Fast declaring Public holidays
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by uvie66: 1:19pm On Apr 11
Dustbinbint:
Here is my emergency preparedness list. By the way, I also think that emergency preparedness as a subject should be taught in schools.
Nothing is assured, so everyone should prepare for the following:

• Financial setback
• Health crisis
• Fire outbreak
• Impending war
• Flooding
• House collapse
• Street violence
• Robbery
• Kidnapping
• Death and burial
• Police arrests
• Food and water shortage
• Emergency fleeing
• Sudden power outage

There are more emergencies we should all be prepared for of course, these are just some basics for a start.
Let me leave this thought from Job 12:5 (NWT)
“The carefree person has contempt for calamity, thinking it is only for those whose feet are unsteady.”
The problems with Nigerians, is the false reliability on "God", you enter a boat without lifejacket, and you are asked why take this risky action, the answer is usually as follows, God is in control, what God cannot do does not exist, my God will see me through bla bla.
A family will give birth to children that their economic situation can't cope with, and you ask why, she it is God that gives children. The other day I saw a blind woman gave birth to twins, the question I ask myself is this woman can't possibly take care of herself because of her disability why then add extra burden to her problems.
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Keegan: 1:21pm On Apr 11
Rich4god:
Nigerians eh.... Wear seat belt, NO!. Wear life jacket, NO!. Drive carefully, NO!. Follow standard safety procedures, NO!. In addition, Don't make calls while driving, NO!. Don't drink and drive, NO!. Don't over speed, NO!. Concentrate fully while operating machine, NO!.

But once tragedy happen, you begin to blame innocent village people, attributing the incident to spirituality.

I saw one facebook post saying that "The actor died because of some comment he made regarding water spirit.

Nigeria is the Risk Capital of this world. It seems we are irredeemable. I always commit my soul unto the Lord whenever I'm traveling, and being alive today is not by my power.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by CaptainFM1: 1:25pm On Apr 11
Basic First Aid should be introduced as a subject in Secondary School.

3 Likes

Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by RIDOO: 1:37pm On Apr 11
Segzy19:
Story story!n. As if Nigerians will listen...
Everyone will move on as if Noth Ng happened until another one happens again....

To be candid this is not the first time this type of incidence will happen and there have not been any drastic effect on the side of the government.How will a private boat company not have ordinary life jackets not to talk about rescuers on board or a stationed ambulance incase of unforseen circumstances.

How do people have the heart to go on large water bodies without a life jacket?

Next time let one take care of one's life by protecting it by oneself.If Nigerian government fail you please don't fail yourself.Everything just happened like a movie..

May God rest the soul of actor jnr.pope and others.Condolenses to their families and love ones.

1 Like

Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Elidrisy20: 1:47pm On Apr 11
Doctor nothing concern death with safety measures
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by wolebest: 2:35pm On Apr 11
Racoon:

Dr Olufunmilayo

Very funny write up.......................

Talking as if most Nigerians know their left from their right ..............

The only places where there is semblance of sanity in the system are the cities but go to the inter land,
most Nigerians are still backward and fetish.

There is general lack of basic infrastructure for sustainable living despite the connected world we live in.

Who is going to wake us up from the self inflicted slumber?
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by wolebest: 2:41pm On Apr 11
Britishpea:

You were making sense until the last part. Nigeria didn’t fail him but Nigerians failed him. Nigerians youths who happen to be unintelligently loud with no deep education about life generally but are quick to come on social media to flood the pages of unconfirmed villain to attack them, who use all avenue to attack Nigeria without rational thinking, just like you, who happen to be the most senseless and busy bodies among all youths in Africa, took him to the mortuary , without first Aid cpr, and then took him to a ritualist, failed him. He also failed himself by not asking for life jacket as an A list actor. He was supposed to stand his ground that he was not going anywhere without a life jacket.

If the youths like you had taken him to the hospital first, instead of the mortuary and then ritualist , a high chance is available for him ti survive.

Again, you are the Nigeria. Nigeria is a space but you make the country. So what do people who make up the country do to help Junior? They helped kill him further. Grow up in your head not your body size.

Correctly, anyone who think people leave Nigeria just because of money is sick

Please help me educate them ..................... most of these youths think they know but at the end of the day you will discover that they are even more ignorant.
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Anatolia: 2:55pm On Apr 11
Our religiosity has turned to stupidity hence we don’t have contingency plan for any negative outcome. We are so complacent!

2 Likes

Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by TUANKU(m): 5:28pm On Apr 11
Well said Dr Olufunmilayo.

1 Like

Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Dustbinbint(m): 5:53pm On Apr 11
uvie66:

The problems with Nigerians, is the false reliability on "God", you enter a boat without lifejacket, and you are asked why take this risky action, the answer is usually as follows, God is in control, what God cannot do does not exist, my God will see me through bla bla.
A family will give birth to children that their economic situation can't cope with, and you ask why, she it is God that gives children. The other day I saw a blind woman gave birth to twins, the question I ask myself is this woman can't possibly take care of herself because of her disability why then add extra burden to her problems.

Indeed.
Because of our fallen nature, we cannot do things right anymore. Notice that the assignment to subdue the earth, originally given to Adam, was NOT repeated to Noah. (Genesis 1:28; 9:1, 7) Why? Because God has a standard of beauty that he wants the earth to reach, but since Adam's offspring had inherited imperfection, i.e, an excessive proneness to mistakes and wrongdoing, we cannot do things right anymore and it will be an impossible assignment for us to be told to subdue the earth.
See the wisdom in that, how we are literally destroying the planet and even driving animals into extinction.

My point is this. We tend to go to either one extreme or another. In this case, the extreme that we might veer towards is expecting God to do our things for us.
We ought do what we can to help ourselves, while trusting God will do what we can't. Whereas, we literally abdicate all our responsibilities in the name of “God will help me.”
It is wrong by all measures and in fact stupid, but it is a tendency that we have inherited. I mean, who doesn't love to lounge around and relax? We even abandon our duties in smaller day-to-day matters, expecting our parents/siblings/spouses/children to handle it. It is the same with when someone expects God to handle what God expects him to handle.

We have a brain to think up solutions to problems, and we have hands to implement those solutions.
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Emday(m): 11:49pm On Apr 11
Racoon:

Dr Olufunmilayo

Hmmmmmmmm
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Librason: 1:07am On Apr 12
Britishpea:

Correctly, anyone who think people leave Nigeria just because of money is sick

I love you Britishpea, you are so enlightened.
You expressed my mind.
Very ignorant and careless set of people.

Namaster.
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Librason: 1:16am On Apr 12
CaptainFM1:
Basic First Aid should be introduced as a subject in Secondary School.

We also hope, majority of the people to acquire this knowledge are present in school , educated and informed ....not those ignoramuses who took a dying man to mortuary and then come back again to perform rituals beside the water, without doctor's effort, report or confirmation.
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by Librason: 1:28am On Apr 12
wolebest:

Very funny write up.......................

Talking as if most Nigerians know their left from their right ..............

The only places where there is semblance of sanity in the system are the cities but go to the inter land,
most Nigerians are still backward and fetish.

There is general lack of basic infrastructure for sustainable living despite the connected world we live in.

Who is going to wake us up from the self inflicted slumber?

Funny write up as how!? and what are you saying?

Someone emphasized that a lot of Nigerians are still dumb, highly ignorant people who don't know their left from their right....that is exactly what you re - echoed...he is not ignorant of the unenlightened statuses of many Nigerians and he called for change and improvement on the part of people and also government...... but you called it funny..if someone calls the attention of people/government to where there should be a change, is it not better than you who keep quiet in your pessimism and hopelessness?
Re: Avoidable Tragedies: The Urgent Need For Emergency Preparedness- Dr Olufunmilayo by writeprof(m): 4:59pm On Apr 12
The whole story is terribly tragic.
Let's learn to place value on our lives as individuals, no matter how difficult it may seem. Lives depend on your being alive than being dead.

(1) (2) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For December 8 2020 In Nigeria / C-section Delivery: How Many Times Is Too Much? / What Is A Real Test Of A Woman Virginty?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.