Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,676 members, 7,816,777 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star (28138 Views)

Bobrisky: EFCC Warning On Abuse Of The Naira (Photos) / Juliet Ibrahim And Iceberg Slim Step Out On A Date / Iceberg Slim: I Am Not Exploiting Juliet Ibrahim For Fame, She Has The 3 C’s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Techbanky: 4:48pm On Apr 12
Wow
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by grandstar(m): 4:49pm On Apr 12
I condemn the racial slurs in all its entirety.

It is a complex issue though. "Juliet" is white. So a white person playing that role is the expectation.

Hollywood has usually been fluid when casting roles relating to ethnicity and race. White actors usually play the roles of Jesus or Jews in Bibilical movies.

Wentworth who played "Scofield" in "Prison Break" isn't white but white passing. That's why he had to cut his hair short all the time lest they gave the secret away.

A Nigerian British actor played the role of Martin Luther King. Forest Whittaker played the role of "Idi Amin" un the "Last king of Scotland"

The truth is that these actually fully blended into their roles.

A black person for an obviously prominent white role may be stretching it too far or may just be a first. How would the black community feel if a white man played the role of a Idi Amin for instance? They'd ask were there not black actors who could take the part?

If it was a Quentin Tarantino flick, he could pull it off as his films are always eccentric.

Anyway, this is the theater and are usually more liberal in regards to these things as they are masters of improvisation.

What's important now is for the actress to be thoroughly convincing and appealing to the audience so they can see beyond her color.

At the end of the day, it's ticket sales that count.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Niok: 4:50pm On Apr 12
Even tribalistic bigots dey follow talk ewus
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by lexy2014: 4:50pm On Apr 12
dsocioemmy:
These racists think everything should be under their control. To them, blacks should always take lesser roles

yeye people

wetin concern black with juliet?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Avedonn: 4:51pm On Apr 12
BlackhatMentor:

But a white man played Tarzan 😐

Tarzan is also a white man story about white couples dying and living their infant baby in the jungle.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by lexy2014: 4:53pm On Apr 12
brunobaba:
na crime to be black?

its not but why white cast a black person in a traditional white role?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by westside365: 4:53pm On Apr 12
DoWhatThouWilt:
Black man with him pikin done suffer.

No be small. Life is not easy but as a black man na double. You face the normal life struggles then then you face another struggle been black.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by positivelord: 4:56pm On Apr 12
Elsueno:
I actually did not like how the whites ganged up on d young girl.

But to be fair, let's be honest, Juliet should not be black just as much as black panther cannot be white.

its much better to look for or create an original story that requires a young black actress.

It's a shame really, I perfectly understand how she's feeling sha

So we cant have a different version of the same story line

2 Likes

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by tollyboy5(m): 4:57pm On Apr 12
Debater:
We're the ones doing ourselves
Shakespeare's character was obviously a white British lady.

Must we try to abuse "inclusivity"?

Next, they will use a black woman for Snow White. At least apply common sense.

Imagine using Jackie Chan for Black Panther grin
Jackie Chan 4 black panther . We d kung fu lovers go watch am grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by AZControversial(m): 4:57pm On Apr 12
undecided

Racism is a mental disorder!!!

2 Likes

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by PressMyButton: 4:59pm On Apr 12
1Sharon:
They should stop black washing historically white characters though undecided

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, stop portraying yourself as inferior regardless the coins they throw at you. The whites have been acting the character of Jesus yet he was a black man.

5 Likes

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Maxcollins042(m): 4:59pm On Apr 12
dsocioemmy:
These racists think everything should be under their control. To them, blacks should always take lesser roles

yeye people

The characters shouldn't be black-washed. That's what they are simply agitating for. Blacks won't be happy if Black Panther or any black-centric film character is portrayed by a white. We cried foul when Cleopatra was whitewashed and they are doing same for theirs.

Do unto others what you want done to you. It's as simple as ABC.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by francismob: 5:00pm On Apr 12
Still don't know why even the educated ones still refer to a class of human being as black and one as white. Make reference to people based on where they born. That's how an ideal world is supposed to be. It's left for the receiver to be guessing how they look cos anyone could be born anywhere. Calling yourself black as a person knowing what it means in today's society is a racist thought itself

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Jayhome24: 5:00pm On Apr 12
But if even as a black lady should not be the Juliet that does not necessarily mean it should end in racist slurs, its so shameful and bad.

By the way I kept wondering where did these pink or butter colour mofos got these ego from.

I had said it so many time "No white man exist". I have never seen anybody under the heaven that have "A4 white paper skin color" or anyone with "White Cotton wool skin colour" pls if you have ever seen such human let us know.

These mofos are just so poorly mentally trained to believe white man exist and feel stupidly arrogant in their ignorant.

No white man exist its all a fallacy and fake submission.

1 Like

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by okoroemeka(m): 5:01pm On Apr 12
Waakanda:
That mentality of "All men are born equal but some more equal than others" must be suppressed cool
the sense of superiority by white skinned individuals over blacks is a genetic trait that has been breed into the Caucasian bloodline for thousands of years,no matter how liberal or moderate a white person maybe In his mind he or she will always believe they more superior than a negro,let us stop deceiving ourselves,but seriously the casting is dead wrong,,Juliet is the daughter of one of the most prominent family in renaissance Italy in the middle ages and to cast a black woman as the daughter of the medicis or sfrozas is a deliberate insult,it is similar to casting a Korean girl as okonkwos daughter in things fall apart.i am also wondering if she is even an actual girl , a transgender or my eyes are deceiving me

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by phr0nesis(m): 5:03pm On Apr 12
Elsueno:

But to be fair, let's be honest, Juliet should not be black just as much as black panther cannot be white.

its much better to look for or create an original story that requires a young black actress.

Well said💯

2 Likes

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by kingthreat(m): 5:03pm On Apr 12
Based on the story, neither Romeo and Juliet were was black. The director caused this shit.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by crixlight2(m): 5:05pm On Apr 12
DoWhatThouWilt:
Black man with him pikin done suffer.
But must they dilute the stories to make the blacks happy , na so dem change little mermaid to black. Romeo and Juliet na white story why change it to black

10 Likes

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by joseph1832(m): 5:05pm On Apr 12
DoWhatThouWilt:

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/10/too-much-to-bear-black-actors-condemn-racial-abuse-of-romeo-juliet-star
isn't Juliet suppose to be a white girl? I mean, what's with all this shift in the norm we know? Sometimes I just wonder what the world is turning to.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Orlu13: 5:06pm On Apr 12
foolish black ppl dat keeps falling into d trap of these US leftist...original characters are now being tampered with impunity..they want a lady to play a role originally meant fr a man, they want a man to play a ladies role,
black man to play a white mans role
white man to play a black mans role

not to mention the infusion gays and lesbians and all sorts of creepy things inside their movies...

thank God I have deleted Netflix... bunch of leftist piece of shits

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by crixlight2(m): 5:11pm On Apr 12
brunobaba:
na crime to be black?
it is not crime ooo but I don’t understand why dem Dey change the white story to black , black writers can also write beautiful love stories , imagine using Tom Holland as black panther. Romeo and Juliet , Cinderella and little mermaid are all white stories why changing the characters to black just to please the black community . They can produce a new blockbuster romantic movie that black will be the main character

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by tivity101: 5:17pm On Apr 12
You are not far from the fact. We need reorientation towards a change of mindset.

Only if we agree we can do it

Bruisecruise:
They love setting Black people up for insult ehn.

No white production company would allow a movie of Idris Elba to pair with some hideous white girl whatever the story line may be.

It’s time Black people build and take complete ownership of their own EVERYTHING and stop ranting or complaining to get treated better in white spaces.
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Difrent: 5:18pm On Apr 12
Elsueno:

To some Nigerians , what you just wrote make you a tribalistic person
But to Sane minds, it's the truth.
Juliet in the original story was white
If you wanted a black Juliet, invent a story

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by We4all: 5:18pm On Apr 12
Juliet was a fictional character and this is a remake or a stage play, I presume. This means anyone can play the role of Juliet as long as the 'love themed' story is still intact. The people complaining are just being mischievous.

3 Likes

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by sunsweet33: 5:19pm On Apr 12
Elsueno:

There is nothing wrong with Juliet or any of the characters being black.

This is a work of Shakespeare that has been re-interpreted and performed a million times. As far as she was the best actress who auditioned, she earned her right to act the role.

By the way in the 1996 film adaptation starring Leonardo di Caprio and Claire Danes, Mercutio was played by a black man and his performance is still lauded as one of the best in history.

They just wanted to finish the girl over nothing.

1 Like

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Elidrisy20: 5:20pm On Apr 12
They should all come back to mama Africa, we have Nollywood,ghawood, firewood
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by We4all: 5:22pm On Apr 12
Difrent:

To some Nigerians , what you just wrote make you a tribalistic person
But to Sane minds, it's the truth.
Juliet in the original story was white
If you wanted a black Juliet, invent a story

Have you ever heard of the word 'remake' in the film world? Juliet was a fictional character and anyone can play that role if there is ever going to be a remake. People are just crying foul due to ignorance.

4 Likes

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by sylve11: 5:26pm On Apr 12
Veste:
There is bigger racism or whatever you may call it in Nigeria.
Nigerian Tribalism is worse than Oyibo racism.

I tell you. cool

3 Likes

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by We4all: 5:27pm On Apr 12
sunsweet33:

There is nothing wrong with Juliet or any of the characters being black.

This is a work of Shakespeare that has been re-interpreted and performed a million times. As far as she was the best actress who auditioned, she earned her right to act the role.

By the way in the 1996 film adaptation starring Leonardo di Caprio and Claire Danes, Mercutio was played by a black man and his performance is still lauded as one of the best in history.

They just wanted to finish the girl over nothing.

Out of everyone that commented, you were the only one that said the most reasonable thing.
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by flexyrule(m): 5:28pm On Apr 12
Bruisecruise:

No white production company would allow a movie of Idris Elba to pair with some hideous white girl whatever the story line may be..
The Mountain Between Us.

1 Like

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Waywardson6: 5:29pm On Apr 12
To be honest, Juliet is a white role. I don't get why a black girl should play it. Black's always shouting racism, meanwhile they are hard racists themselves.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by achillesfoot(m): 5:30pm On Apr 12
Debater:
We're the ones doing ourselves
Shakespeare's character was obviously a white British lady.

Must we try to abuse "inclusivity"?

Next, they will use a black woman for Snow White. At least apply common sense.

Imagine using Jackie Chan for Black Panther grin
Very reasonable comment..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Seun Egbegbe Remanded In Prison Till Court Case On Feb 8th / Mary Remy Njoku Disagrees With Angela Okorie Over Father's Day Post / #10yearschallenge: Kupe Boys Share 10 Years Throwback Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.