Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,763 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star - Celebrities (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star (28158 Views)

Bobrisky: EFCC Warning On Abuse Of The Naira (Photos) / Juliet Ibrahim And Iceberg Slim Step Out On A Date / Iceberg Slim: I Am Not Exploiting Juliet Ibrahim For Fame, She Has The 3 C’s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by jamesversion: 9:05pm On Apr 12
SIRTee15:

If Walt Disney decides to cast snow white as Lupita Nyongo, what's my business. Walt Disney is a white owned company, they can do what they like with their business and movie.
Attack Walt Disney and leave Lupita Nyongo alone she's just looking for what to eat.

Whites have been playing Jesus Christ and ancient Egyptian in their movies for donkey years.
When we know Jesus is a coloured man and ancient Egyptians were dark skin people.
Have U ever complained about that? But all over of a sudden wants to foam over a fictional character given to a black person.

Pls if U have serious inferiority complex issue, deal with it personally and don't rub it on others

Blacks should not partake in any deliberate sensationalism or revisionism by filmmakers because the whites/Asians whose culture are affected by such baseless film production will protest in whatever way they deem fit. Blacks should not put themselves in positions of ridicule because of economic gains
It is not worth it.

And how did you know Jesus was black? Wow, what an effrontery from someone who the whites introduced Christianity to his/her ancestors.

The whites introduced Christianity to you and you're saying that Jesus is black. You're teaching them the religion that they gave you. Oh Goodness me!!! grin grin

Abeg, talk about African religion, atleast you will points for originality.
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by ASAPFERG: 9:10pm On Apr 12
Orlu13:

u sabi dem...foolish ppl... just becos they want to form woke, they wanna turn d world upside down....with the way I'm seeing America, their era as world power will soon come to an end if they don't stop all these their woke activities

these days, u can't even watch any American film without seeing a gayish,racial or feminist agenda...and they are doing everything possible to force d agenda down our throats
useless people and country
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by ASAPFERG: 9:15pm On Apr 12
jamesversion:

Blacks should not partake in any deliberate sensationalism or revisionism by filmmakers because the whites/Asians whose culture are affected by such baseless film production will protest in whatever way they deem fit. Blacks should not put themselves in positions of ridicule because of economic gains
It is not worth it.

And how did you know Jesus was black? Wow, what an effrontery from someone who the whites introduced Christianity to his/her ancestors.

The whites introduced Christianity to you and you're saying that Jesus is black. You're teaching them the religion that they gave you. Oh Goodness me!!! grin grin

black people are very stupid.

Imagine that idiot saying jesus is black? The same jesus that was brought to them by whites.
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by SIRTee15: 9:18pm On Apr 12
jamesversion:

It is not worth it.

Its so obvious U not only naive but highly ignorant. What if whites introduced Christianity to west Africa...so?
The Romans also introduced Christianity to whites.
Ethiopians were Christians long before any white man embraced Christianity.

This idea that Christianity belongs to white people is so nauseating and disgusting. It shows people don't read and don't think deep.
FYI, There's no single white man in the bible. Yes U heard me right.
No single blond hair, blue eyes character in the bible. Instead there are over 20 bible characters that are black.
Abraham's wife Hagar, Moses wife zopporah and David's 2 wives were all black.
The person that helped jesus carried his cross was an African.

And your knowledge of geography should tell U it's impossible for a middle eastern character to be white when all ethnic groups around him are coloured.

So how can Christianity be a white's man religion when no white man is mentioned in the scripture that profess the faith.

U are simply a victim of Hollywood propaganda brainwashing technique. They have painted all bible characters as white and U foolishly swallowed it.

1 Like

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Maxcollins042(m): 9:37pm On Apr 12
SIRTee15:

Then explain why ancient Egyptian are played as whites in movies.

Explain why their whitewashing met backclashes?
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Maxcollins042(m): 9:37pm On Apr 12
Tellmeastory:

DUDE….

THE ANCIENT EGYPTIANS AND PHARAOHS WERE BLACKS.

THE BIBLICAL JEWISH PEOPLE WERE BLACKS.

JUST ABOUT EVERYONE IN THE BIBLE WAS BLACK, INCLUDING JESUS, MARY, MOSES, ABRAHAM, JEREMIAH, SOLOMON, ISAIAH, TIMOTHY, JOSEPH OF ARIMATHEA, JOSHUA, AARON, SAMSON AND DELILAH, EZEKIEL, DANIEL, NEBUCHADNEZZAR, ETC ETC.

ALL BLACKS.

JOB WAS BLACK.

Job 30:30 “MY SKIN IS BLACK…”

SOLOMON, SON OF DAVID WAS BLACK, MEANING DAVID WAS BLACK.

Song of Solomon 1:5 “I AM BLACK…”!

Lamentations 3:10 “OUR SKIN IS BLACK LIKE AN OVEN….!”

They were ALL blacks.

IN FACT JUST THE OTHER DAY THE RUSSIAN PRESIDENT PUTIN RELEASED THOUSANDS OF ANCIENT EUROPEAN PAINTINGS AND ARTEFACTS HIDDEN IN RUSSIAN VAULTS WHICH DEPICTED THE HEBREWS, INCLUDING JESUS AND MARY, AS BLACK PEOPLE.

Have any of these people since you were born, EVER been portrayed as anything other than WHITE by Hollywood?

FOR ALL WE KNOW, SHAKESPEARE HIMSELF WAS BLACK!

THE EUROPEANS WHITEWASHED EVERYTHING DURING THE 17th CENTURY IN THE HEAT OF THE SLAVE TRADE AS THEIR RACISM GREW TO STRATOSPHERIC LEVELS.

SO FOR ALL WE KNOW, SHAKESPEARE HIMSELF WAS PROBABLY BLACK, AS WERE HIS CHARACTERS, ROMEO AND JULIET.

You're very FUNNY

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Orlu13: 9:51pm On Apr 12
Azazyel:

U.S.A would soon crumble like the Romans and Greeks. All these things are weakening the U.S from the inside

yes exactly... they are turning their men into women and women into men,
their men are being taught to be effeminate every minute of d day...they are inculcating gay tendencies to children at young age

when all these come back to bite them in d butt, the whole world will be watching
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by SIRTee15: 10:12pm On Apr 12
Maxcollins042:

Explain why their whitewashing met backclashes?

because whites can't take what they dish out to others.

Since they ve been playing ancient Egyptians white, did U see any African crying?

As I said the whiners should face the movie producers who are whites and leaves black actors alone- they are simply looking for their daily bread.

if I'm an actor and they tell me to come and play king Arthur, U think I will refuse?
What's my own.

2 Likes

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by jamesversion: 10:24pm On Apr 12
SIRTee15:

Its so obvious U not only naive but highly ignorant. What if whites introduced Christianity to west Africa...so?
The Romans also introduced Christianity to whites.
Ethiopians were Christians long before any white man embraced Christianity.

This idea that Christianity belongs to white people is so nauseating and disgusting. It shows people don't read and don't think deep.
FYI, There's no single white man in the bible. Yes U heard me right.
No single blond hair, blue eyes character in the bible. Instead there are over 20 bible characters that are black.
Abraham's wife Hagar, Moses wife zopporah and David's 2 wives were all black.
The person that helped jesus carried his cross was an African.

And your knowledge of geography should tell U it's impossible for a middle eastern character to be white when all ethnic groups around him are coloured.

So how can Christianity be a white's man religion when no white man is mentioned in the scripture that profess the faith.

U are simply a victim of Hollywood propaganda brainwashing technique. They have painted all bible characters as white and U foolishly swallowed it.

The Romans introduced Christianity to Whites. Like the Romans aren't white themselves. grin

The middles eaterners aren't white, they are coloured. Lolz. cheesy

FYI, there are 3 primary classes of Race. Caucasoid aka white, Negroid aka Blacks and Mongoloid aka Yellow people. Every thing else is a variation of the 3.

Christianity belongs to Africa yet your ancestors were worshipping Amadioha and they were living in mud houses and wearing loin clothes when the whites met them in Africa. No civilisation, no school.system. They have no invention for themselves. They know next to nothing about science neither nor technology. You saw in the bible that Paul was a lawyer. If Africans were the ones in the bible with such advanced society in the time of Jesus, why was your village a jungle in 1880.

Abeg. I'm done with this conversation cos its beginning to piss me off.
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Tellmeastory: 10:24pm On Apr 12
Azazyel:

Well... I don't feel inferior to any white person. I do remote jobs in which I communicate with white people regularly. I even lecture some of them on certain things. I don't see it as a big deal. Truly in time past, they were really horrible people and they did nasty things to our forefathers. It's painful but at the end of the day, there's nothing you can do. A lot of them have acknowledged the fact over the years. We have moved on from that era and I chose not to revisit such issues. Black Americans have actually become the toxic ones over the years. They feel entitled to everything in the U.S now without working their way to the top unlike other races. I don't want to be part of such

You are a very stupid pig to speak that way about the African-Americans, without whom you wouldn't get ANY JOB in America today, remote or otherwise.

Brainwashed to self-hate pig you.

Go and study slavery, segregation, and the civil rights movement. Because I know you know NOTHING about it just like you know NOTHING about your own African history.

They are still suffering institutional effects of that 400 year period of brutal misery which MUST and WILL be addressed, from poor schools to housing discrimination, to job discrimination to police brutality and racism.

If African Americans had your disgusting white worshiping slave mentality, they would still be in shackles today, and you, dumbo, would have ZERO access to anything in America, including your fcking remote job.

THEY ARE ENTITLED TO A LOT MORE THAN THEY HAVE BEEN GIVEN, CONSIDERING THAT EVERYONE GOT RICH OFF THEIR LABOUR EXCEPT THEM, CONSIDERING IT WAS THEM THAT BUILT THAT COUNTRY, AND GOT PAID NOTHING.

THEY WILL GET REPARATIONS AS WELL, AND THEY FULLY DESERVE IT.

Frigging SELLOUT Uncle Tom House Negro you.
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Melagros(m): 10:28pm On Apr 12
DoWhatThouWilt:
Black man with him pikin done suffer.
I dey tell you
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Tellmeastory: 10:44pm On Apr 12
jamesversion:

The Romans introduced Christianity to Whites. Like the Romans aren't white themselves. grin

FYI, there are 3 primary classes of Race. Caucasoid aka white, Negroid aka Blacks and Mongoloid aka Yellow people. Every thing else is a variation of the 3.

Christianity belongs to Africa yet your ancestors were worshipping Amadioha and they were living in mud houses and wearing loin clothes when the whites met them in Africa. No civilisation, no school.system. They have no invention for themselves. They know next to nothing about science neither nor technology. You saw in the bible that Paul was a lawyer. If Africans were the ones in the bible with such advanced society in the time of Jesus, why was your village a jungle in 1880.

Let me educate you ANIMAL.

Today, you will learn that AFRICA is the cradle of world civilization, and that without AFRICAN INGENUITY, the entire world would still be in the STONE AGE today.

12 Amazing African Inventions That Changed The World

1 Speech

The first words by humans were spoken by Africans.

''Using statistical methods to estimate the time required to achieve the current spread and diversity in modern languages today, Johanna Nichols — a linguist at the University of California, Berkeley — argues that vocal language must have arisen in our species at least 100,000 years ago. Using phonemic diversity, a more recent analysis offers directly linguistic support for a similar date. Estimates of this kind are independently supported by genetic, archaeological, palaeontological and much other evidence suggesting that language probably emerged somewhere in sub-Saharan Africa during the Middle Stone Age, roughly contemporaneous with the speciation of Homo sapiens.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_language

2 Writing

In 1999, Archaeology Magazine reported that the earliest Egyptian hieroglyphs date back to 3400 BCE which "...challenge the commonly held belief that early logographs, pictographic symbols representing a specific place, object, or quantity, first evolved into more complex phonetic symbols in Mesopotamia."

Who were these original Egyptians?

The Greek historian Herodotus.. described the Colchians of the Black Sea shores as "Egyptians by race" and pointed out they had "black skins and kinky hair."

Apollodorus, the Greek philosopher, described Egypt as "the country of the black-footed ones" and the Latin historian Ammianus Marcellinus said "the men of Egypt are mostly brown or black with a skinny desiccated look."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/specials/1624_story_of_africa/page88.shtml

In his book 'Egypt', British scholar Sir E.A. Wallis Budge says: "The prehistoric native of Egypt, both in the old and in the new Stone Ages, was African and there is every reason for saying that the earliest settlers came from the South." He further states: "There are many things in the manners and customs and religions of the historic Egyptians that suggests that the original home of their prehistoric ancestors was in a country in the neighborhood of Uganda and Punt [present day Somalia]."

''Greek historian Diodorus Siculus devoted an entire chapter of his world history, the Bibliotheke Historica, or Library of History (Book 3), to the Kushites ["Aithiopians"] of Meroe. Here he repeats the story of their great piety, their high favor with the gods, and adds the fascinating legend that they were.. the founders of Egyptian civilization, invented writing, and had given the Egyptians their religion and culture.''

(1st century B.C., Diodorus Siculus of Sicily, Greek historian and contemporary of Caesar Augustus, Universal History Book III. 2. 4-3. 3)

http://wysinger.homestead.com/blackegypt101.html

To summarise:

"Ancient Egypt was a Negro civilisation. The history of Black Africa will remain suspended in the air and cannot be written correctly until African historians connect it with the history of Egypt. The African historian who evades the problem of Egypt is neither modest nor objective nor unruffled. He is ignorant, cowardly and neurotic. The ancient Egyptians were Negroes. The moral fruit of their civilisation is to be counted among the assets of the Black world."

- Cheikh Anta Diop, The African Origin of Civilisation.

3 Medicine

''The earliest known surgery was performed in Egypt around 2750 BC.... The Ebers papyrus (1550 BC) is full of incantations and foul applications meant to turn away disease-causing demons, and also includes 877 prescriptions. It may also contain the earliest documented awareness of tumors..

Homer (800 BC) remarked in the Odyssey: "In Egypt, the men are more skilled in medicine than any of human kind" and "the Egyptians were skilled in medicine more than any other art". The Greek historian Herodotus visited Egypt around 440 BC and wrote extensively of his observations of their medicinal practices. Pliny the Elder also wrote favourably of them in historical review. Hippocrates (the 'father of medicine'), Herophilos, Erasistratus and later Galen studied at the temple of Amenhotep, and acknowledged the contribution of ancient Egyptian medicine to Greek medicine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_medicine

4 Architecture

The African empire of Egypt developed a vast array of diverse structures and great architectural monuments along the Nile, among the largest and most famous of which are the Great Pyramid of Giza and the Great Sphinx of Giza

The pyramids, which were built in the Fourth Dynasty, testify to the power of the pharaonic religion and state. They were built to serve both as grave sites and also as a way to make their names last forever. The size and simple design show the high skill level of Egyptian design and engineering on a large scale. The Great Pyramid of Giza, which was probably completed c. 2580 BC, is the oldest and largest of the pyramids, and is the only surviving monument of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. The pyramid of Khafre is believed to have been completed around 2532 BC, at the end of Khafre's reign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_architecture

5 Mathematics

The invention of mathematics is placed firmly in African PRE-HISTORY.

''The oldest known possibly mathematical object is the Lebombo bone, discovered in the Lebombo mountains of Swaziland and dated to approximately 35,000 BC. It consists of 29 distinct notches cut into a baboon's fibula. Also prehistoric artifacts discovered in Africa and France, dated between 35,000 and 20,000 years old [respectively], suggest early attempts to quantify time.

The Ishango bone, found near the headwaters of the Nile river (northeastern Congo), may be as much as 20,000 years old and consists of a series of tally marks carved in three columns running the length of the bone. Common interpretations are that the Ishango bone shows either the earliest known demonstration of sequences of prime numbers or a six month lunar calendar.

Also, Predynastic Egyptians of the 5th millennium BC pictorially represented geometric designs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mathematics#Prehistoric_mathematics

''Numeral systems have been many and diverse, with the first known written numerals created by Egyptians in Middle Kingdom texts such as the Rhind Mathematical Papyrus.

The earliest uses of mathematics were in trading, land measurement, painting and weaving patterns and the recording of time. More complex mathematics did not appear until around 3000 BC, when the Egyptians and Babylonians began using arithmetic, algebra and geometry for taxation and other financial calculations, for building and construction, and for astronomy''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics

6 Mining of minerals

The oldest known mine on archaeological record is the "Lion Cave" in Swaziland, which radiocarbon dating shows to be about 43,000 years old. Much later on, the Africans of Egypt mined malachite....Quarries for turquoise and copper were also found at "Wadi Hamamat, Tura, Aswan and various other Nubian sites"..The gold mines of Nubia were among the largest and most extensive in the world, and are described by the Greek author Diodorus Siculus. He mentions that fire-setting was one method used to break down the hard rock holding the gold. One of the complexes is shown in one of earliest known maps. They crushed the ore and ground it to a fine powder before washing the powder for the gold dust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining#Prehistoric_mining

7 Iron Smelting

Iron smelting is a form of extractive metallurgy; its main use is to produce a metal from its ore. This includes production of silver, iron, copper and other base metals from their ores. Smelting uses heat and a chemical reducing agent to decompose the ore, driving off other elements as gasses or slag and leaving just the metal behind.

Early iron smelting:

''Where and how iron smelting was discovered is widely debated, and remains uncertain due to the significant lack of production finds.. [but] there is a further possibility of iron smelting and working in West Africa by 1200 BC. In addition, very early instances of carbon steel were found to be in production around 2000 years before the present in northwest Tanzania, based on complex preheating principles. These discoveries are significant for the history of metallurgy.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelting

8 Religion

Greek historian Diodorus Siculus. From his own statements we learn that he traveled in Egypt around 60 BC. His travels in Egypt probably took him as far south as the first Cataract. He wrote about the black races of inner Africa whom he called ''Ethiopians'', dwelling south of Egypt.

"They further write that it was among them that people were first taught to honor the gods and offer sacrifices and arrange processions and festivals and perform other things by which people honor the divine. For this reason their piety is famous among all men, and the sacrifices among the Ethiopians are believed to be particularly pleasing to the divinity."

9 Laws

Stephanus of Byzantium, who is said to represent the opinions of the most ancient Greeks, says:

"Ethiopia was the first established country on the earth, and the Ethiopians were the first who introduced the worship of the Gods and who established laws."

Quoted by John D. Baldwin, Prehistoric Nations, p. 62.

10 International Trade

In 1825, Arnold Hermann Heeren (1760-1842), Professor of History and Politics in the University of Gottengen and one of the ablest of the early exponents of the economic interpretation of history, published, in the fourth and revised edition of his great work Ideen Uber Die Politik, Den Verkehr Und Den Handel Der Vornehmsten Volker Der Alten Weld, a lengthy essay on the history, culture, and commerce of the ancient Ethiopians, which had profound influence on contemporary writers in the conclusion that it was among these ancient Black people of Africa and Asia that international trade was first developed.

He wrote that as a by-product of these international contacts there was an exchange of ideas and cultural practices that laid the foundations of the earliest civilizations of the ancient world. Heeren in his researches says:

"From the remotest times to the present, the Ethiopians (ancient name for blacks south of the Sahara) have been one of the most celebrated, and yet the most mysterious of nations. In the earliest traditions of nearly all the..civilized nations of antiquity, the name of this distant people is found.

..The annals of the Egyptian priests are full of them, and the nations of inner Asia, on the Euphrates and Tigris, have interwoven the fictions of the Ethiopians with their traditions of the wars and conquests of their heroes; and, at a period equally remote, they glimmer in Greek mythology. When the Greeks scarcely knew Italy and Sicily by name, the Ethiopians were celebrated in the verses of their poets, and when the faint gleam of tradition and fable gives way to the clear light of history, the lustre of the Ethiopians is not diminished. They still continue to be the objects of curiosity and admiration, and the pen of clear-sighted, cautious historians places them in the highest rank of knowledge and civilization."

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3025163?seq=2#metadata_info_tab_contents

11 Philosophy

Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language. Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing such problems by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy#Ancient_philosophy

Philosophy in Africa has a rich and varied history, dating from pre-dynastic Egypt, continuing through the birth of Christianity and Islam. Arguably central to the ancients was the conception of "ma'at", which roughly translated refers to "justice", "truth", or simply "that which is right". One of the earliest works of political philosophy was the Maxims of Ptah-Hotep, which were taught to Egyptian schoolboys for centuries...Ancient Egyptian philosophers made extremely important contributions to Hellenistic philosophy, Christian philosophy, and Islamic philosophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_philosophy

''Ancient Egyptian philosophy has been credited by the ancient Greeks as being the beginning of philosophy''.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_philosophy

12 Art

The oldest art objects in the world—a series of tiny, drilled snail shells about 75,000 years old—were discovered in a South African cave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Tellmeastory: 10:54pm On Apr 12
Regarding architecture, of which this mo.ro.n says we ''only had mud huts'', Let's start off with Benin.

In the 15th century, Benin city was a city of multi-storeyed public buildings and monuments..

This is a drawing of Benin City in 1847 by the English visitor, Mary Evans.

This was 50 years before it was invaded by the British.

According to scholars,

''At the end of the 13th century, a European traveler encountered the great metropolis of Benin in West Africa (present Nigeria, Edo State), writing: “The town seems to be very great. When you enter into it, you go into a great broad street...which seems to be seven or eight times broader than the Warmoes street in Amsterdam…The King's palace is a collection of buildings which occupy as much space as the town of Harlem, and which is enclosed with walls. There are numerous apartments for the Prince`s ministers and fine galleries, most of which are as big as those on the Exchange at Amsterdam. They are supported by wooden pillars encased with copper, where their victories are depicted, and which are carefully kept very clean. The town is composed of thirty main streets, very straight and 120 feet wide, apart from an infinity of small intersecting streets. The houses are close to one another, arranged in good order. These people are in no way inferior to the Dutch as regards cleanliness; they wash and scrub their houses so well that they are polished and shining like a looking glass.” (Source: Walter Rodney, ‘How Europe Underdeveloped Africa, pg. 69)

The medieval Nigerian city of Benin was built to “a scale comparable with the Great Wall of China”. There was a vast system of defensive walling totalling 10,000 miles in all. Even before the full extent of the city walling had become apparent the Guinness Book of Records carried an entry in the 1974 edition that described the city as: “The largest earthworks in the world carried out prior to the mechanical era.”

Sadly, in 1897, Benin City was destroyed by British forces under Admiral Harry Rawson. The city was looted, blown up and burnt to the ground. A collection of the famous Benin Bronzes are now in the British Museum in London. Part of the 700 stolen bronzes by the British troops were sold back to Nigeria in 1972.

Here is another account of the great Benin City regarding the city walls “They extend for some 16 000 kilometres in all, in a mosaic of more than 500 interconnected settlement boundaries. They cover 6500 square kilometres and were all dug by the Edo people. In all, they are four times longer than the Great Wall of China, and consumed a hundred times more material than the Great Pyramid of Cheops. They took an estimated 150 million hours ..to construct, and are perhaps the largest single archaeological phenomenon on the planet.” - Source: Wikipedia, Architecture of Africa.” Fred Pearce the New Scientist 11/09/99.

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Medici777: 10:58pm On Apr 12
She’s too ugly
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Tellmeastory: 10:59pm On Apr 12
Regarding the greatness of Benin, there is no better proponent of this than the people who destroyed the city - the British:

Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace

Guardian Newspaper, UK

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/18/story-of-cities-5-benin-city-edo-nigeria-mighty-medieval-capital-lost-without-trace

With its mathematical layout and earthworks longer than the Great Wall of China, Benin City was one of the best planned cities in the world when London was a place of ‘thievery and murder’. So why is nothing left?

This is the story of a lost medieval city you’ve probably never heard about. Benin City, originally known as Edo, was once the capital of a pre-colonial African empire located in what is now southern Nigeria. The Benin empire was one of the oldest and most highly developed states in west Africa, dating back to the 11th century.

The Guinness Book of Records (1974 edition) described the walls of Benin City and its surrounding kingdom as the world’s largest earthworks carried out prior to the mechanical era. According to estimates by the New Scientist’s Fred Pearce, Benin City’s walls were at one point “four times longer than the Great Wall of China, and consumed a hundred times more material than the Great Pyramid of Cheops [in Egypt]”.

Situated on a plain, Benin City was enclosed by massive walls in the south and deep ditches in the north. Beyond the city walls, numerous further walls were erected that separated the surroundings of the capital into around 500 distinct villages.

Pearce writes that these walls “extended for some 16,000 km in all, in a mosaic of more than 500 interconnected settlement boundaries. They covered 6,500 sq km and were all dug by the Edo people … They took an estimated 150 million hours of digging to construct, and are perhaps the largest single archaeological phenomenon on the planet”.

Barely any trace of these walls exist today.

Benin City was also one of the first cities to have a semblance of street lighting. Huge metal lamps, many feet high, were built and placed around the city, especially near the king’s palace. Fuelled by palm oil, their burning wicks were lit at night to provide illumination for traffic to and from the palace.

When the Portuguese first “discovered” the city in 1485, they were stunned to find this vast kingdom made of hundreds of interlocked cities and villages in the middle of the African jungle. They called it the “Great City of Benin”, at a time when there were hardly any other places in Africa the Europeans acknowledged as a city. Indeed, they classified Benin City as one of the most beautiful and best planned cities in the world.

In 1691, the Portuguese ship captain Lourenco Pinto observed: “Great Benin, where the king resides, is larger than Lisbon; all the streets run straight and as far as the eye can see. The houses are large, especially that of the king, which is richly decorated and has fine columns. The city is wealthy and industrious. It is so well governed that theft is unknown and the people live in such security that they have no doors to their houses.”

In contrast, London at the same time is described by Bruce Holsinger, professor of English at the University of Virginia, as being a city of “thievery, prostitution, murder, bribery and a thriving black market made the medieval city ripe for exploitation by those with a skill for the quick blade or picking a pocket”.

African fractals

Benin City’s planning and design was done according to careful rules of symmetry, proportionality and repetition now known as fractal design. The mathematician Ron Eglash, author of African Fractals – which examines the patterns underpinning architecture, art and design in many parts of Africa – notes that the city and its surrounding villages were purposely laid out to form perfect fractals, with similar shapes repeated in the rooms of each house, and the house itself, and the clusters of houses in the village in mathematically predictable patterns.

As he puts it: “When Europeans first came to Africa, they considered the architecture very disorganised and thus primitive. It never occurred to them that the Africans might have been using a form of mathematics that they hadn’t even discovered yet.”

At the centre of the city stood the king’s court, from which extended 30 very straight, broad streets, each about 120-ft wide. These main streets, which ran at right angles to each other, had underground drainage made of a sunken impluvium with an outlet to carry away storm water. Many narrower side and intersecting streets extended off them. In the middle of the streets were turf on which animals fed.

“Houses are built alongside the streets in good order, the one close to the other,” writes the 17th-century Dutch visitor Olfert Dapper. “Adorned with gables and steps … they are usually broad with long galleries inside, especially so in the case of the houses of the nobility, and divided into many rooms which are separated by walls made of red clay, very well erected.”

Dapper adds that wealthy residents kept these walls “as shiny and smooth by washing and rubbing as any wall in Holland can be made with chalk, and they are like mirrors. The upper storeys are made of the same sort of clay. Moreover, every house is provided with a well for the supply of fresh water”.

Family houses were divided into three sections: the central part was the husband’s quarters, looking towards the road; to the left the wives’ quarters (oderie), and to the right the young men’s quarters (yekogbe).

Daily street life in Benin City might have consisted of large crowds going though even larger streets, with people colourfully dressed – some in white, others in yellow, blue or green – and the city captains acting as judges to resolve lawsuits, moderating debates in the numerous galleries, and arbitrating petty conflicts in the markets.

The early foreign explorers’ descriptions of Benin City portrayed it as a place free of crime and hunger, with large streets and houses kept clean; a city filled with courteous, honest people, and run by a centralised and highly sophisticated bureaucracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/18/story-of-cities-5-benin-city-edo-nigeria-mighty-medieval-capital-lost-without-trace
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by SIRTee15: 11:02pm On Apr 12
jamesversion:

The Romans never considered themselves Europeans, they regard themselves as Mediterranean alongside north Africans and Phoenicians the middle east coast.
Romans never regard themselves same as the barbarians in mainland Europe.
They civilised Europe because they were backwards bunch according to Romans.

jamesversion:

So an Indian is what? Mongoloid or Caucasoid? What about native Americans, which race will U classify them.
U better read more b4 spewing nonsense here online.

jamesversion:

Christianity belongs to Africa yet your ancestors were worshipping Amadioha and they were living in mud houses and wearing loin clothes when the whites met them in Africa.
Where did I say Christianity belongs to Africans. If U have comprehension problem, U better improve your English language skills.
jamesversion:

No civilisation, no school.system. They have no invention for themselves. They know next to nothing about science neither nor technology. You saw in the bible that Paul was a lawyer. If Africans were the ones in the bible with such advanced society in the time of Jesus, why was your village a jungle in 1880.

See this big fool who doesnt even know his own race or people.
See how distortion of historical facts in our education books has turned this one into a mental slave to the white race.
He doesnt even know west Africa had a university b4 UK could think of building their first university which is Oxford. There was a time west African biggest export to the rest of the world was books written in the university. People came as far as Baghdad to buy books written in west Africa.

If U ask the ode, he will tell U the only thing we export to Europe was slave. FYI, in the first 100 yrs contact with the white man, west African biggest export to europe was textiles, glass and soap. Yes U heard right textiles and soap and this was more than 400 yrs ago.
Some European countries had to ban imports of soap from west Africa to help with survival of their own soap industry.

Benin empire's currency was accepted as medium of exchange for trade in far away Morocco. When the Portuguese first visited Benin , they noted the roads were paved and they had street lights- this was in the 15th century.

Yet this big fool had the audacity to spit on his ancestors.

jamesversion:

Get out here, U are a big disgrace to your ancestors. One would expect someone to at least learn what they did b4 insulting them online.
Lazy fool. Black man forming woke for white man.

2 Likes

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Maxcollins042(m): 11:16pm On Apr 12
SIRTee15:

because whites can't take what they dish out to others.

Since they ve been playing ancient Egyptians white, did U see any African crying?

As I said the whiners should face the movie producers who are whites and leaves black actors alone- they are simply looking for their daily bread.

if I'm an actor and they tell me to come and play king Arthur, U think I will refuse?
What's my own.

Na Asians dey whine say White people no suppose Cleopatra? Romeo and Juliet na white characters and fans of these fictional characters want it to remain that way. Simple.
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Tellmeastory: 11:23pm On Apr 12
SIRTee15:

The Romans never considered themselves Europeans, they regard themselves as Mediterranean alongside north Africans and Phoenicians the middle east coast.
Romans never regard themselves same as the barbarians in mainland Europe.
They civilised Europe because they were backwards bunch according to Romans.

So an Indian is what? Mongoloid or Caucasoid? What about native Americans, which race will U classify them.
U better read more b4 spewing nonsense here online.

Where did I say Christianity belongs to Africans. If U have comprehension problem, U better improve your English language skills.

See this big fool who doesnt even know his own race or people.
See how distortion of historical facts in our education books has turned this one into a mental slave to the white race.
He doesnt even know west Africa had a university b4 UK could think of building their first university which is Oxford. There was a time west African biggest export to the rest of the world was books written in the university. People came as far as Baghdad to buy books written in west Africa.

If U ask the ode, he will tell U the only thing we export to Europe was slave. FYI, in the first 100 yrs contact with the white man, west African biggest export to europe was textiles and soap. Yes U heard right textiles and soap and this was more than 400 yrs ago.

Benin empire's currency was accepted as medium of exchange for trade in far away Morocco. When the Portuguese first visited Benin , they noted the roads were paved and they had street lights- this was in the 15th century.

Yet this big fool had the audacity to spit on his ancestors.

Get out here, U are a big disgrace to your ancestors. One would expect someone to at least learn what they did b4 insulting them online.
Lazy fool. Black man forming woke for white man.

God bless you my brother.

I'm glad that at least we have some of our people like you who actually know our glorious precolonial history unlike these embarrassments masquerading as 'Africans' like that chap you just schooled.

Their heads are totally empty of their history and filled with Tarzan colonial narratives.

We need major reorientation in Nigeria to educate our people, on their HISTORY, so that they can stop feeling so inferior to everyone.

It's so disgusting.

Thanks bro.

By the way, you mentioned that we exported textiles and soap to Europe 400 years ago. You are absolutely correct. In fact Portugal banned the importation of Nigerian manufactured soap in the mid 1800s in order to boost their fledgling soap making industry.

Another thing we manufactured en masse was GLASS.

According to the Independent Newspaper, UK

Glass Was Made in Africa Centuries before Arrival of Europeans, Says New Evidence

-Chemical analysis of beads found at a site in Nigeria reveals a composition entirely unique to the region

Josh Gabbatiss
Science Correspondent

“The Igbo Olokun excavations have provided that evidence”.

Of the 12,000 glass beads found at the site, the researchers analysed 52 and found none matched the composition of glass produced anywhere else on Earth.

Two groups of glass were found at Igbo Olokun, one with high levels of lime and alumina, and one with low levels of lime and high levels of alumina.

Both were identified as unique to the region, and Dr Babalola and his team noted their composition reflected the local geology and raw materials that were available.

Notably, the glass found at Igbo Olokun was also dated to between the 1100s and 1500s, centuries before Europeans established trade networks in West Africa.

“We are now confident beyond reasonable doubt that both the high lime-high alumina and low lime, high alumina groups of glass represent a glass produced in early Ile-Ife using local recipes, raw materials and technology,” wrote the researchers in their paper documenting the findings.

Their results are published in the Journal of Archaeological Science.

The occurrence of similar beads in other West African societies, as revealed by other archaeological excavations, indicated the glass produced at Igbo Olokun was part of a wider regional trading network.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/glass-africa-made-before-european-arrival-colonialisation-advanced-technology-a8168601.html

1 Like

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Azazyel: 11:23pm On Apr 12
Tellmeastory:

You are a very stupid pig to speak that way about the African-Americans, without whom you wouldn't get ANY JOB in America today, remote or otherwise.

Brainwashed to self-hate pig you.

Go and study slavery, segregation, and the civil rights movement. Because I know you know NOTHING about it just like you know NOTHING about your own African history.

They are still suffering institutional effects of that 400 year period of brutal misery which MUST and WILL be addressed, from poor schools to housing discrimination, to job discrimination to police brutality and racism.

If African Americans had your disgusting white worshiping slave mentality, they would still be in shackles today, and you, dumbo, would have ZERO access to anything in America, including your fcking remote job.

THEY ARE ENTITLED TO A LOT MORE THAN THEY HAVE BEEN GIVEN, CONSIDERING THAT EVERYONE GOT RICH OFF THEIR LABOUR EXCEPT THEM, CONSIDERING IT WAS THEM THAT BUILT THAT COUNTRY, AND GOT PAID NOTHING.

THEY WILL GET REPARATIONS AS WELL, AND THEY FULLY DESERVE IT.

Frigging SELLOUT Uncle Tom House Negro you.

You're a frustrated gay. Nobody would join you in your senseless war. You're just an entitled rat with no purpose in life. Toxic loser. You can't move on from slavery and you want to drag others into your delusion. You have been taking too much Colos and it would turn you to a vegetable very soon. Once it does, I'll be here to mock you. Your tears are so sweet. I remember that Black lives matter movement grin I love what proud boys did. "I can't breathe, give me some weed" grin
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by SIRTee15: 11:23pm On Apr 12
Maxcollins042:

Na Asians dey whine say White people no suppose Cleopatra? Romeo and Juliet na white characters and fans of these fictional characters want it to remain that way. Simple.

All Cleopatra movie has always depicted her as white.

The only one that depicted her as black- docudrama by Jada Pickett led to an uproar on social media.

If fans want Romeo and Juliet as whites, then they should direct their grievance to the appropriate quarter- movie producer.

I don't even get U, are U saying it's ok to insult and make racist remarks against black actors because they played a role they were given.

Are U even ok? If they want them to remain whites, the right way is to attack the actors...how does that even change anything.

1 Like

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Tellmeastory: 11:30pm On Apr 12
Azazyel:

You're a frustrated gay. Nobody would join you in your senseless war. You're just an entitled rat with no purpose in life. Toxic loser. You can't move on from slavery and you want to drag others into your delusion. You have been taking too much Colos and it would turn you to a vegetable very soon. Once it does, I'll be here to mock you. Your tears are so sweet. I remember that Black lives matter movement grin I love what proud boys did. "I can't breathe, give me some weed" grin

Go on the streets of Harlem or even Brooklyn or South Central LA, and mouth off your slave Uncle Tom House Negro sellout shiit and see how fast they SMOKE YOUR HEAD OFF.

Brothers know how to handle HOUSE NEGROS like you, because they've done it for 400 years.

You little coward hiding behind a phone in a secluded place.

Come out in the open and say this, let's see how tough you are, you filthy little maggot.

THE GREAT MALCOLM X DESCRIBED YOUR TYPE. THE 'HOUSE NEGRO'.

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by 1Sharon(f): 11:32pm On Apr 12
SIRTee15:

Sharon don't fall for these micro aggressive racist attacks.
Whites have been playing ancient Egyptians as far as I can remember when we all know ancient Egyptians are not white and possibly black.

If real people who were definitely coloured black can be made white on TV. Then what's the noise about fictional character.

Yes you're right. White people have been playing ancient Egyptians but if you look closer. They made an effort, they darkened their skin slightly to look tanned. And ancient Egypt wasn't just black or white, it was a mixture of different races.
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Azazyel: 11:40pm On Apr 12
Tellmeastory:

Go on the streets of Harlem or even Brooklyn or South Central LA, and mouth off your slave Uncle Tom House Negro sellout shiit and see how fast they SMOKE YOUR HEAD OFF.

Brothers know how to handle HOUSE NEGROS like you, because they've done it for 400 years.

Youlittle coward hiding behind a phone in a secluded place.

Come out in the open and say this, let's see how tough you are, you filthy little maggot.

MALCOLM X DESCRIBED YOUR TYPE.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFHZKYYXUAAJW0n.jpg [/img]

Malcolm X is not an extremist like you that cannot forgive. Get your lazy butt up and do something good for yourself. Stop building castles in the air. "I can't breathe, give me some weed" grin grin
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Tellmeastory: 11:44pm On Apr 12
1Sharon:

Yes you're right. White people have been playing ancient Egyptians but if you look closer. They made an effort, they darkened their skin slightly to look tanned.

You're an embarrassment. Another House Negro. Show us the ''skin darkening''. This is the movie Ten Commandments.

And ancient Egypt wasn't just black or white, it was a mixture of different races.

SHUT UP THERE. THE ANCIENT EGYPTIANS WERE BLACK AFRICANS, AS PROVEN IN THIS EPIC VIDEO THAT IS CRAMMED WITH ENOUGH EVIDENCE TO MAKE YOUR HEAD SPIN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJtk4rRXSPY&ab_channel=AfricanHistoryStation

1 Like

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Maxcollins042(m): 11:45pm On Apr 12
SIRTee15:

The only one that depicted her as black- docudrama by Jada Pickett led to an uproar on social media.

If fans want Romeo and Juliet as whites, then they should direct their grievance to the appropriate quarter- movie producer.

I don't even get U, are U saying it's ok to insult and make racist remarks against black actors because they played a role they were given.

Are U even ok? If they want them to remain whites, the right way is to attack the actors...how does that even change anything.

Go and beat them. Let me be biko.
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Azazyel: 11:51pm On Apr 12
Tellmeastory:

A HOUSE NEGRO LIKE YOU CAN NEVER SPEAK FOR MALCOLM X.

MALCOLM X WAS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU ARE, YOU DIRTY HOUSE NEGRO UNCLE TOM SELLOUT.

LIKE I SAID, GO ON THE STREETS OF BLACK AMERICA, AND SAY HALF OF WHAT YOU SAID HERE.

YOU WILL NOT LIVE LONGER THAN 5 MINUTES AFTERWARDS, YOU SELLOUT PUNK.

DISGUSTING, PUTRID PIG.

I can't breathe, give me some weed grin grin grin. E pain am
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Tellmeastory: 11:58pm On Apr 12
SIRTee15:

Bro, once these people turn slaves, they will find every and every way to justify their sense of inferiority.

Do you know what would have happened if this story was the exact reverse, ie a white woman played Queen Amina of Zaria or something, and blacks had started protesting against that?

These same people here would have attacked the BLACKS complaining and accused them of being too 'sensitive'', always focusing on race, skin colour etc etc.

Think about it. You know it's true.

They're wired to self-hate.

Programmed like a clock.

It doesn't matter how the story goes, they will ALWAYS be against the black side.

And these are so-called blacks. ''Africans''.

They are a real disgrace.

2 Likes

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by SIRTee15: 12:05am On Apr 13
1Sharon:

Yes you're right. White people have been playing ancient Egyptians but if you look closer. They made an effort, they darkened their skin slightly to look tanned. And ancient Egypt wasn't just black or white, it was a mixture of different races.

But blacks who play these white characters are also portrayed as European. They wear european dress, have white mannerisms and culture. The problem is whites don't want to look beyond the skin colour.

As I said, If whites have problem with blacks playing white role. They should direct their complaints to right
Channel - white movie producer.

The attack on these black actors is becoming extreme. They nearly killed the confidence of Halle Bailey when she played little mermaid.

If it were black producers doing the nonsense, I will understand. That's why I said nothing when whites attacked the black Cleopatra in the docudrama about Cleopatra. The producer was Jada Pickett who should know better than portray Cleopatra as a black woman.
Cleopatra is of greek ancestry.

Finally, do not be deceived....ancient Egyptians are dark skinned. Their complexion is very similar to modern day Ethiopians.

Their hair textures can only be seen among African descents. The evidence is clear- ancient Egyptian women depicted in drawings always wear braids.

Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by SIRTee15: 12:11am On Apr 13
Tellmeastory:

Bro, once these people turn slaves, they will find every and every way to justify their sense of inferiority.

Do you know what would have happened if this story was the exact reverse, ie a white woman played Queen Amina of Zaria or something, and blacks had started protesting against that?

These same people here would have attacked the BLACKS complaining and accused them of being too 'sensitive'', always focusing on race, skin colour etc etc.

Think about it. You know it's true.

They're wired to self-hate.

Programmed like a clock.

It doesn't matter how the story goes, they will ALWAYS be against the black side.

And these are so-called blacks. ''Africans''.

They are a real disgrace.

I remember when fans of a German club complained that the team is too foreign due to so many black players and the story made frontpage on nairaland.

I pointed here that the black players are German and not foreigners.
Some idiots here said it doesn't matter, that the fan is right to complain.
I was shocked. So what should German FA do, ban black German players from playing football or what.

Amazingly the foreigners in the team were players from other white countries not Africa.
Some useless ones here still supported the fan saying he's right.

There's something genetically wrong with the black man's brain.
He's wired to feel inferior to other race
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by SIRTee15: 12:13am On Apr 13
Maxcollins042:

Go and beat them. Let me be biko.

Next time learn to keep quiet about what U know nothing or little about.
Re: Francesca Amewudah: Black Actors Condemn Racial Abuse Of Romeo, Juliet Star by Anashe: 1:03am On Apr 13
Tellmeastory:

It's an excellent work and one hell of an eye opener. Ideally it should be compulsory reading in every African school, so that Africans can know what they are up against in relation to the imperialists.

Totally agree

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Beverly Osu Wows In Underwear Photoshoot / Wizkid Celebrates His 29th Birthday Today / Funke Adesiyan's APC Ticket Taken Away From Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.