Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,766 members, 7,813,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal (19203 Views)

FG Agrees To Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage As NLC Suspends Nationwide Strike / Ganduje Agrees To Pay 30,000 Minimum Wage With Additional N600 (N30,600) / FG Proposes N24,000 Minimum Wage; States N20,000; NLC Wants N30,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by emmykk(m): 1:52pm On Apr 14
SoNature:
NLC should be realistic in their desire to get a raise. The minimum wage shouldn't exceed 100k. Do they know the number of workers this country pays salaries? Tinubu needs to shut down many MDAs that don't generate revenue for the government ASAP

Most of you ranting here are not workers and don't have family.

If fuel that was formally N180 is now N710 what is the percentage increase?
Apply that increase of N30,000 and see the range of figure that it will be.

Go and ask CBN,NNPC and FIRS and custom how much they earn

Meanwhile expect industrial action to fight the minimum wage to stay...

1 Like

Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by Noblemanonpoint: 1:54pm On Apr 14
triplechoice:

You have come with you moronic talk again.

You keep repeating it would lead to hyperinflation without for once providing instances in the past it led to that in Nigeria and other countries where minimum wage was increased. I don't think you even know what's hyperinflation .

It's quite obvious you are severely uneducated, which is quite a pity because you have access to the internet and i assume you also have a smart phone.

Do the needful yourself, i'm not a teacher.
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by triplechoice(m): 1:55pm On Apr 14
PHAYOL81:
Labour don't seem to be ready for a change. They're not realistic with their demand.

You and your likes are judging them as not realistic because you're are not too well informed about wage negotiations in this country

The 600k announced by labour is a means to achieve an end .

2 Likes

Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by Elidrisy20: 1:57pm On Apr 14
It not possible
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by Noblemanonpoint: 1:57pm On Apr 14
emmykk:

You are listing CBN,NNPC and FIRS. What of the private sector, the Adelabu and co limited and other businesses?
Can they pay this?
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by triplechoice(m): 2:09pm On Apr 14
Noblemanonpoint:

It's quite obvious you are severely uneducated, which is quite a pity because you have access to the internet and i assume you also have a smart phone.

Do the needful yourself, i'm not a teacher.

Quit the wayward talk and just provide enough evidence from the past in Nigeria to support your hyperinflation claim .

If you have to refer me to Google then it means you're the one who's "severely uneducated "

Instead of getting yourself busy somewhere else,you're here on Nairaland trying to advise the government who has in their employ seasoned economic experts to advise them on what they need to know. I'm sure in your small mind you think you know better than them.

Yeye the smell .
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by SoNature(m): 2:10pm On Apr 14
emmykk:

Unfortunately, Nigérian public servants are not productive. You come to work to gist and gossip. At the end of the month, you start asking for salaries. grin
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by triplechoice(m): 2:20pm On Apr 14
Noblemanonpoint:

You are listing CBN,NNPC and FIRS. What of the private sector, the Adelabu and co limited and other businesses?
Can they pay this?

When can they pay?

Nigerian business men and women are notorious for underpaying their workers So don't fight for them unless you're one of them.

Moreover ,minimum wage is for businesses that have a minimum of 50 workers in their employ. It's not for every one.

If you're unfortunate to find yourself working in a place where you're being paid less than the minimum wage due to the number of workers they have,it's your choice , and not labour's if you choose to remain there and allow them exploit you.
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by Funflipper: 2:21pm On Apr 14
triplechoice:

Why will it go to 500k a bag?

Inflation. Too much money chasing few goods = price skyrocketing.
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by triplechoice(m): 2:25pm On Apr 14
SoNature:

Unfortunately, Nigérian public servants are not productive. You come to work to gist and gossip. At the end of the month, you start asking for salaries. grin

Regurgitating the half truths you have been mislead with. Nigerian civil servants to you are unproductive but each time labour goes on strike the whole country is grounded.

1 Like

Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by SoNature(m): 2:30pm On Apr 14
triplechoice:

Regurgitating the half truths you have been mislead with. Nigerian civil servants to you are unproductive but each time labour goes on strike the whole country is grounded.

NLC has membership across public and private sectors. I am talking about the former, not the latter - very unproductive yet greedy folks!
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by Olufemiolaolu(m): 2:53pm On Apr 14
Unserious element 😂😂😂😂😂
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by mercy87(f): 3:04pm On Apr 14
helinues:
cheesy

Jokes taken too far . Where would the state get the money from if the basic salary is N600k.

Well may be na typor error sha, it could be N61,500

This na gaslighting things jor

Stop this please. Where do the politicians get money from to fund their expensive lifestyle?
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by mercy87(f): 3:09pm On Apr 14
Please let's be mindful of our speech. They look at conversations on platforms like this to know the mind of the people and when you people continue to say they can't pay, they come out to say they can't pay.

If the government truly cares about the masses, that money will come out. Have you look at the heavy allowances and salaries of lawmakers and politicians? What about all the stealing going on? Less than 6 months in government and 1 person stole 30 billion. How about the others stealing, who have not been caught? Yet when it comes to payment of salaries there is no money. They must pay. Enough of living on less than a dollar a day. Enough of this adaptation to poverty.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by monex(m): 3:41pm On Apr 14
helinues:
cheesy

Jokes taken too far . Where would the state get the money from if the basic salary is N600k.

Well may be na typor error sha, it could be N61,500

This na gaslighting things jor

it is not much considering your purchasing power parity today
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by triplechoice(m): 3:50pm On Apr 14
Funflipper:

Inflation. Too much money chasing few goods = price skyrocketing.
You're not incorrect,but that's just textbook economics theory which doesn't meet with the current reality in the country.

What we have now is too little money chasing too many goods. That's not normal and it's the reality which no one should resist unless they want to live in denial of the truth.The current situation Nigeria is abnormal ,and it' may lead to economic crisis if something is not done urgently.

The prices of goods and services have skyrocketed beyond the reach of the common man after the removal of fuel subsidy and the floating of the naira and as a result ,the purchasing power of Nigerian workers and others in the country,have reduced drastically.

30k minimum wage is nothing at the moment compared to 4 years ago when it was approved.Then a bag of local rice was 10- 15 k, but now it's close to 80k.

The public no longer can make purchases as before from traders and other business men.

And if the situation persists it would lead to the shutting down of several factories in the country resulting in a reduction of taxes and other levies accruing to government as well as the laying off of workers.

That's already happening. Some manufacturing firms have completely shutdown their operations in Nigeria and relocated to neighboring countries. Others have either stopped production or reduced it until things improve.

The only thing to do to rectify the situation so that it doesn't get out of hand, is for a corresponding increase in workers salaries . That's the only way out.Nothing else would do .The government understands this very well hence
they're in a hurry to make sure the new minimum is signed into law by month end.

But they have no choice. The minimum wage act mandates that salaries of workers in Nigeria must be reviewed upward every 4 years so that they continue to earn a living wage. The people who came up with that law did enough consultation with economic experts to know the implication before it was signed into law. So I don't understand why you lots keep resisting it and talking of hyperinflation as if you know more than the experts consulted.

Your fears about hyperinflation are unfounded. Businesses in Nigeria can no longer afford to increase prices of their goods and services. Any further attempt to do so after salary increase would lead to more boycott of their products or a reduction in purchases from their regular customers.

They need to sell more to remain in business and the only way they can do that is to maintain current prices or maybe a little increase not enough to cause any hyperinflation
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by wealthyvic1: 4:04pm On Apr 14
[quote author=Endtimelifeinna post=129428286]Jokers grin grin grin Governors are struggling to pay N30k monthly salary na N615k them go pay grin grin grin grin angry[/qulote]p
Those governors are wicked & lazy.
Simple
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by triplechoice(m): 4:12pm On Apr 14
SoNature:

NLC has membership across public and private sectors. I am talking about the latter - very unproductive yet greedy folks!

You're speaking as an outsider. You don't know the true situation. Civil servants shouldn't carry cutlasses and shovels to their various offices before you see them as productive.

You don't know the kind of job they do but just judging them based on what you expect them to do.

You certainly cannot say that civil servants in Lagos state are not productive. They're very productive. Go and confirm this before you start generalising.
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by badoh(m): 5:20pm On Apr 14
Powersurge:

The joke is on you bro.

You think it's too much yet an individual senate earns ₦35m monthly. Doing what? That's even the one we can see.

In your own mind now, Nigerian workers don't deserve a minimum wage of 600k?

Whatis 600k in this present Nigeria?

Modify: I see a lot of children wey dey stay with their parents or probably still in school learning what they will come out to hustle for 30k job insulting me.

I just shake my head and pity una.

This is a sign that the system has put a shackle on most Nigerians' mind.

Some dey even quote Adam Smith economic for me. I am truly sorry for una o.
You're just ranting online. You know what NLC proposed is not realistic and govt cannot commit to making such payments. Let's even say the Fed govt has the financial muscle, what about the state govt, how many states can afford such? Why do you people like comparing what the legislative member earn with what workers earn? How many are they in the National assembly? Can you compare it with the total number of workers we have in the country? While I'm not defending cheating workers, Labour must present something sensible and realistic and not just bringing a bogus figure.
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by Tonididdyx: 5:47pm On Apr 14
Is 615k realestic?

What will the private sector now pay?
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by emmalux2(m): 7:28pm On Apr 14
IF FG CANNOT PAY, THEN LET THEN START PRODUCING FUEL AND SELL FOR A HUNDRED NAIRA PER LITTER. Why did he push our own fuel to times 3
Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by triplechoice(m): 1:06pm On Apr 15
Omoapena:

Lolz
You gotta go back to study economy.

When there's too much money in circulation, what will it cause.
If minimum wage should exceed 100k, if will cause problem to the nation..

Where did I argued that minimum wage should be over 100k?

Show me

Modified. This was what I said. Show where I said it must be over 100k

author=triplechoice post=129433756]

Please understand the 600k is just a "gimmick" by labour to get a better deal from government at the end of the day. Nothing is fixed yet.

During Buhari regime, labour at first, proposed around 150k as minimum wage ,but at the end of the day, 30k was approved by him .

You should look to past wage negotiations in this country to understand what's behind the current proposal of labour, and stop the unnecessary criticism.

Re: Labour Submits N615,000 Minimum Wage Demand In Fresh Proposal by Mamayam: 1:16pm On Apr 24
fools!
Agree on anything above 100k before I finish my youth service in August.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We’ll Kill Corruption, Solve Power Problem – Osinbajo / FG Declares Friday Public Holiday To Mark 61st Independence Celebration / Obiano Never Gave Father Mbaka N5m - Ifeanyi Aniagoh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.