Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner (21755 Views)

Dowen College: Governor Sanwo-Olu Reacts To Sylvester Oromoni's Death / Police Arrest 3 Dowen School Students Over Sylvester Oromoni’s Death / Dowen College Mourns Late Sylvester Oromoni's Death (Read Full Statement) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by fergie001: 8:19pm On Apr 15
The Coroner, Magistrate Mikhail Kadiri, inquiring into the cause of death of the late student of Dowen College, Lagos, Sylvester Oromoni has cleared the school and its students of any wrongdoings.

He returned a verdict that the deceased died a natural death.

In a judgment that lasted over 6 hours, the coroner also held that the death was however avoidable as the negligence of the parents and the medical team also contributed to it.

Magistrate Kadiri absolved some students of Dowen College named in the incident as he concluded that they played no part in the death of Sylvester, and should not have been involved in the matter.

The Coroner also gave some recommendations to forestall further incidents of this sad nature. He advised parents not to take their children’s health with levity.

He also called for a synergy between the police and the medical team going forward as well as for the police force to ensure due caution before arrests are made.

He further recommended that the management of Dowen College should ensure proper documentation of entry and exit of students out of the hostel, as well as proper psychological evaluation for the 5 students suspected to have bullied the deceased.

SOURCE

Sylvester Oromoni's father rejects judgement
Mr Sylvester Oromoni Snr, the father of Sylvester, the late 12-year-old student of Dowen College, Lekki has rejected the judgment of the Coroner Inquest that attributed his son's death to negligence.

He was quizzed by reporters whilst leaving the courtroom.

Reporter: But Is there anything you could have done differently after listening to all the experts, to have given Sylvester better care?

Oromoni Snr: Medical experts did not give a concluding result. They said they saw a substance inside the body of the boy and what was the substance? Was it tested? It wasn't tested. So this (the judgment) is not the end of the case. As far as I am concerned, it does not represent the true procedure of the evidence taken."

Reporter: So what's your next move?
Oromoni Snr: Don't worry, I will consult my lawyers.

Reporter: Are you going to appeal the Judgement?
Oromoni Snr: Don't worry, I will consult my lawyers.

The family lawyer, Femi Falana SAN reacts

In his lengthy ruling delivered today, Magistrate Mikhail Kadiri, the Coroner who investigated the unfortunate death of Master Sylvester Oromoni Jnr., a 12-year-old student of Dowen College, Lekki, Lagos exonerated the authorities of Dowen College and blamed the unfortunate death of the deceased on the negligence of the family doctor.

It is curious that the coroner ignored the evidence of the government pathologist that the “black substance” found in the stomach of the deceased was not subjected to toxicological examination. The allegation was that the deceased was forced to drink a poisonous substance.

The Acting Director of Public Prosecution of Lagos State at the material time had recommended that some staff and students be prosecuted for criminal negligence over the bullying of students in the school. Four days later, the Acting DPP turned round to say that there was no case to answer without any fresh evidence from the police investigators. The coroner ruled that the Acting DPP has the power to withdraw her recommendations at any time!

The doctors who testified stated that the deceased died of sepsis and that the sepsis could have been caused by excessive massaging of the leg of the deceased. The coroner conveniently overlooked the fact that the school doctor and the nurses massaged the leg of the deceased for two days before inviting his parents to take him home.

In an attempt to exonerate Dowen College the coroner was silent on the overwhelming evidence of the bullying of the deceased, his sister, and other students by the same set of students. In particular, the coroner discountenanced the evidence of a student who had testified that he saw the deceased beaten up and subjected to torture by a group of senior students.

In spite of such uncontradicted evidence, the coroner said that the deceased died of natural cause. The coroner claimed that the negligence of the family doctor led to the death of the deceased but failed to refer him to the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria for appropriate sanctions.

SOURCE

PREVIOUS THREADS:
https://www.nairaland.com/6987489/sylvester-oromoni-father-admits-home#110241876

https://www.nairaland.com/6879750/how-sylvester-oromoni-tortured-before#108186301

https://www.nairaland.com/6929770/sylvester-oromoni-wont-bury-son#109186334

https://www.nairaland.com/6878947/sylvester-oromoni-video-dowen-college/4#108184108

https://www.nairaland.com/6880721/sylvester-oromoni-told-describe-sisters#108206526

https://www.nairaland.com/6983941/how-sylvester-oromoni-died-inside#110176261

https://www.nairaland.com/6882322/schoolmate-sylvester-oromoni-reveals-how#108246641

1 Like

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by EreluRoz: 8:25pm On Apr 15
Such a young boy full of life. I wish we can all live forever

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by ItisWell22(f): 8:40pm On Apr 15
Trying time for the parents.

May God comfort them. 🙏

12 Likes

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by gaby(m): 9:09pm On Apr 15
The coroner report reads like the presidential election petition judgement.

Laughable, to say the least.

113 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by ValCon888: 9:29pm On Apr 15
No young child can die a natural death. This judgment is a sham.

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:30pm On Apr 15
Abeg make dem go rest o.....after how many months or years sef! Abeg better things should trend biko!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by atobs4real(m): 9:30pm On Apr 15
I trust Dowen owners. Not surprised of the judgement

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by Akfrenzy(m): 9:30pm On Apr 15
Story
Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by Yugoslavia247(m): 9:31pm On Apr 15
Right from the beginning they tried to cover up this case. Now they buried it.

But the bully are under age.
So even if they found them guilty they won't imprison them.
The school does not want to take the blame and the children in question are not poor children.

The school and the bullies parent fought as one against the parent of the diseased.

In all what I see is that, the child has died. The case buried and the parents must move on.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by atobs4real(m): 9:31pm On Apr 15
The headline should have read: Dowen student that was late... RIP
Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by OkayDaddy: 9:32pm On Apr 15
valentineuwakwe:
Abeg make dem go rest o.....after how many months or years sef! Abeg better things should trend biko!

If it were your child, would you say this nonsense?
Selfish, dark-minded thing.

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by sylve11: 9:32pm On Apr 15
This matter never still comot ground finish? cool

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by JAMO84: 9:33pm On Apr 15
Rich people think because they pay millions to the schools, their children must be safe there.

Whatever luxury you can afford to give your child, do not think it can replace your parental responsibility to ensure the safety and well-being of the child wherever he/she is.

78 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by donbenie(m): 9:33pm On Apr 15
H
Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by KennethOkonkwo: 9:34pm On Apr 15
gaby:
The coroner report reads like the presidential election petition judgement.

Laughable, to say the least.

The presidential election outcome just dey chase you people in your dream even a year after.Nigeria is beyond Igbo land!

It has now damaged your brain that when you die and the angels ask you who is your God?.you people answer will be "2023 elections "

10 Likes

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by Jubrilv(m): 9:35pm On Apr 15
Ij
Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by free2ryhme: 9:35pm On Apr 15
Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by free2ryhme: 9:36pm On Apr 15
Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by yewit37486: 9:36pm On Apr 15
atobs4real:
I trust Dowen owners. Not surprised of the judgement

If truly that was the case, all I will say is there is man's judgment, then there is a higher judgment that no amount of money or influence will be able to subvert.

Edit:
I know the extent some of these schools will go to protect their "reputation". Reminds me of how Chrisland appointed a SAN to defend the teacher who sexually abused a 2 year old child. Her parents took the case to the Office of the Public Defender and thankfully got justice.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by tunjijones(m): 9:37pm On Apr 15
So the parents get hand for the death of the pikin at last
Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by othermen: 9:39pm On Apr 15
The coroner’s additional comment or advice to parents - indicted Oromoni’s parents. They not only suffer the loss of a child, they are further inflicted with notions that they are responsible for the loss by being irresponsible parents.

Again. Not possible with Wole Olanipekun.

Falana wins public opinion and even now, he sways it by pointing out injustice in the verdict. He will do media round and increase his social capital. Oromoni parents would not only regret their inability to get some closure or get an iota of justice, they would have to continue their existence as prime examples of neglectful or careless parenting.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by Hezmatosky: 9:39pm On Apr 15
Oooooh naija finally
Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by Mindlog: 9:39pm On Apr 15
valentineuwakwe:

I know you will not say the same, if it was your child who died under similar circumstance.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by Lawalkay(m): 9:45pm On Apr 15
I sorry for the future of all the kids that partook in what led to the sickness and eventual death of Sylvester, Karma is a bitch! He who kill by the sword, something dey future for, the, persin. My Toro.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by OniyideAmplify(m): 9:49pm On Apr 15
The Judge must be an APC supporter, see the way he was covering the school and the boy's k!llers like the way the supreme judge was covering INEC and APC in 2023 during tribunal.
The fvcking judge has been bribed no doubt

This is the reason why I can never enroll my child in a boarding school no matter how rich I am.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by abobote: 9:51pm On Apr 15
valentineuwakwe:
Keep quiet

Inconsequential being

4 Likes

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by RickyJesus: 9:51pm On Apr 15
atobs4real:
The headline should have read: Dowen student that was late... RIP
He has a name dumbass.

2 Likes

Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by remsonik(f): 9:53pm On Apr 15
Nawa o,it is well. That's why the education, discipline and training the parents give their children is even much more higher than what a school will give. So parents should be careful and no child should face negligence.
Two wrongs does not make a right, Dowen college too is wrong but parents too needs to put more face into what the kids do/face/learn in school.
May his soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: Parents, Doctors' Negligence contributed to Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Coroner by StOla: 9:55pm On Apr 15
Obviously!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Plz Is There Any Art Course I Can Get Admission With D7 In Litterature? / Osinbajo Changes Federal University, Oye Ekiti To Adeyinka Adebayo University / ESUT Returns To Its Original Multi-campus Structure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.