Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,595 members, 7,812,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:24 PM

Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound (35423 Views)

Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound -Bloomberg / Bloomberg: Nigeria's Dollar Bonds Jump After New President Scraps Fuel Caps / Governor Ayade's Aide Resigns, Says 'his Ideology Does Not Go In Tandem With APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Omooba77: 7:45pm On Apr 16
Nigeria is burning through its foreign exchange reserves at a rate not seen in four years, raising concerns that the central bank is depleting its dollar holdings to support the naira after pledging it would allow the currency to float more freely.

Liquid reserves declined 5.6% since March 18, when the naira started its rebound from record-low levels against the dollar, to $31.7 billion as of April 12, according to Bloomberg’s calculations based on the latest available data from the Central Bank of Nigeria.

That’s the biggest decline in a similar period since April 2020, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

At the beginning of the year, the naira went down to about N1,900 to a dollar. Many speculators had expected the value of the naira to continue its free fall. However, the naira has been gaining strength lately and has gone up to about N1,100 to a dollar.

Bloomberg reports that the development came after the Central Bank of Nigeria introduced measures to improve liquidity, attract capital inflows and allow the market to determine the naira’s exchange rate. As part of the reforms, the CBN pledged to clear a backlog of pent-up dollar demand.

The CBN does appear to be using its FX reserves to clear the valid backlog, and return the naira to a realistic exchange rate,” said Charles Robertson, the London-based head of macro strategy at FIM Partners. “My assumption is they hope to encourage others – local and foreign investors – to start investing in the local currency, and return private sector liquidity to the foreign exchange market.”

Nigeria still has a sizable cushion of foreign-exchange reserves, buoyed by a rally in oil prices and inflows from multi-lateral loans. Gross reserves of around $32.6 billion cover about six months’ worth of imports, according to the International Monetary Fund.

The central bank said last month it had cleared a backlog of overdue dollar purchase agreements estimated at $7 billion since the beginning of the year.

That was built over years as the central bank pegged its currency against the dollar, leading to a scarcity of foreign currency that deterred foreign portfolio investment. However, it’s unclear how much dollar debt the CBN retains on its books.

The publication of the central bank’s financial statements late last year showed it had securities lending agreements with JP Morgan Chase & Co. for $7 billion and another $500 million with Goldman Sachs Group Inc.

It is not clear if those obligations have been settled. A spokesperson for the central bank didn’t immediately respond to Bloomberg’s request for comment on the telephone.

The FX reserves have fallen despite a surge of inflows into capital markets following 600 basis points of cumulative interest rate hikes in February and March, which increased the allure of Nigerian local debt. Foreign portfolio inflows exceeded $1 billion in February, bringing total receipts so far this year to at least $2.3 billion, according to the central bank.

“The CBN will also be aware that new inflows from Afreximbank, the World Bank, and a possible eurobond, plus the benefit of higher oil prices and a likely return of remittances via official and semi-official channels (rather than bitcoin) will allow reserves to stabilize or rise again,” Robertson said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-16/ngn-usd-nigeria-s-fx-reserves-plunge-in-tandem-with-naira-rebound?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Goodvibes007: 7:56pm On Apr 16
The Nigerian reporter of the article should also explain why there is a convergence between the parallel and official markets.

Ps

PBAT administration met $34 billion in our foreign reserve June 2023.

Off the top of my head :-
-This administration paid $500 million Eurobond in July 2023.

-Paid external debt in Q4- : $900 million

-Paid CBN legacy debt of $7 billion

-Paid ways and means debt of $4 billion

That is $12 billion.

I am aware the government also paid $1 billion to the USA government for weapons in November 2023

We don’t know how much credit line and importation has been paid for. We are yet to see what the government paid for external debt in Q 1 2024.

But let’s cry, because we have a $32.5 billion in our reserves. $1.5 billion drop from where this administration met it despite over $12 billion expenditure.

Poor reserve 😪😪😪😪. The government chose to defend the Naira instead of attacking the Naira

Abayhormy:
Nigerians, Wake up. Una think say these oyinbo people like as we dey make progress for our country ? They will do anything to discredit and achieve a slowdown in the gains of the Naira. Go and read about what what France did to Guinea.
It was written by a Nigerian for Bloomberg Africa. There are two of them that usually write for Bloomberg Africa. Anthony Osae and Emele Onu. Onu is a Peter Obi supporter. I can't say for Osae.

183 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by helinues: 8:00pm On Apr 16
How much debt have we serviced?

How much have we borrowed?

Those are the questions that should be directed to the naysayers

166 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Biodun556(m): 8:52pm On Apr 16
What is the reserve doing there?

Let's spend it

If this report is true, where did the CBN sees the 7 billion dollars to use to pay foreign airlines and others when Nigeria foreign reserve was 32 billion dollars

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Lizzysamuel(f): 8:58pm On Apr 16
Biodun556:
What is the reserve doing there?

Let's spend it

And you call yourself a patriot?

My Goodness

111 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Penguin2: 9:04pm On Apr 16
Lol!

Tumbum Tumbum government

They removed subsidy and later shamelessly returned it and paying even more.

They floated the Naira and later went back to their vomit by using our foreign reserve to defend the Naira like Emefiele was doing which is why the reserve is depleting.

I’m sure that’s why they shamefully released Emefiele after they saw themselves doing what they accused Emefiele of.

Tinubu is empty

His gang of criminals are even emptier

Together they form a bunch of empty-headed criminals only interested in snatching power, running away with it and looting.

Sorry, Nigeria!

248 Likes 38 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Faiththatworks(m): 9:06pm On Apr 16
Although this news is from Bloomberg, I will thread with caution in believing this report.
Although I don't hide the fact that I'm a Supporter of Asiwaju and Nigeria, I'm also a believer of Facts over emotions.
There's a coordinated attempt to disparage the gains made recently by the Naira,and I believe the narrative is being slanted to meet the desires of very few greedy Nigerians.
First,is the recent noise by some people led by Nasiru El-Rufai that Subsidy is back,thereafter the CEO of Rain oil without any scientific data other than correlating the pump price of Diesel with Petrol, trumpeted that Nigeria is paying a Subsidy of 600 billion every month,Habaaaa you wonder the kind of Business man that CEO is.
Next is the deliberate fear being created that CBN governor is defending the Naira by dipping his hands into the Foreign reserve,Habbbba how's selling less than 60 million Dollars enough to dip the Foreign Reserve of Nigeria by over 2 billion Dollars.
I repeat the National Security Adviser should begin to treat these People as Economic Terriorist,all they are doing is speculating and trying to force the value of the Naira down.
Although they believe all Nigerians are lazy but we will counter them with our own figures,last month OPEC told us Nigeria's oil production dropped to around 1.3m barrels per day,since Oil is our biggest earner,the revenue from oil sales dropped drastically and that affected the foreign reserve.
Again I will keep going back to our budget,the total earning without oil Subsidy for 2024 is around 10 trillion naira,if these people claim Subsidy is back in full,then Nigeria is in Big trouble because there wasn't any provisions for Subsidy in the 2024 budget,like the Rainoil CEO used some abracadabra figures to support his figures,any payment of Subsidy will cause inflation to raise to 100% cos we will go back to printing money to run the Economy.
I believe Nigeria is on the right path,all these Economic Terriorist and Bandits are just trying to instill fear in our minds,anybody paying for subsidy should be treated as a criminal and handed over to the EFCC, payment of Subsidy is a fraud Against the people of Nigeria.
I'm sure Nigerians will not bulge to these Economic Terrorist and fear mongers, currency speculators and economic sabos,.
Onward forever is our motto, Asiwaju is taking this country to a better place and it will be right in front of the nay sayers.
God bless Nigeria.

78 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by garykoeman: 9:07pm On Apr 16
Even with their propaganda obi will not be president.

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by yesloaded: 9:22pm On Apr 16
When we stop importation of fuel, I believe our dollar spending will reduce drastically there y strengthen the naira the more

DO NOT BUY DOLLAR OUT OF PANIC

FUEL IMPORTATION WILL REDUCE BY MORE THAN 50% WHICH MEANS WE WILL SPEND LESS THAN 50% OF WHAT WE NORMALLY USE TO IMPORT

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by unclejb2(m): 9:25pm On Apr 16
For how long can Tinubu sustain this? Hold your dollar closely. If the government reserve gets depleted, e go red for naira

69 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Melagros(m): 10:14pm On Apr 16
COMRADES, when we warned Nigerians that Tinubu and his cohorts have nothing to offer Nigerians some of these APC's miscreants on nairaland tried to gag me by even threatening my life
Here we are today, the truth is gradually surfacing

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by PointZerom: 10:14pm On Apr 16
wink

You hate to hear the truth but you're the ones crying most for hunger SHOUTING EBIN PAWA Ooo.

El-Rufail has exposed your lies but you keep on calling Igbos enemies of Nigeria.

Between you that voted for Buhari and the Igbos that rejected him twice, who truly is the enemies of Nigeria?

You can't even tell the primary and secondary schools your president attended.....shame on you

78 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by sacrono: 10:14pm On Apr 16
So we're right back to where we started? Except from a worse exchange rate?

I hope we really get it right and shun propaganda.

24 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by INTEGRITYA1(m): 10:15pm On Apr 16
Okay
Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Donaldoni: 10:15pm On Apr 16
P

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Donaldoni: 10:15pm On Apr 16
A piiiigg is behind the stupid report angry

Today there is a convergence between the official rate and parallel market rate.

Speculators have been chased out of the system

Dollar is no more subsidised as the import duty now aligns with the exchange rate

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by SenecaTheYonger: 10:16pm On Apr 16
But everyone knows this. The trick is to flood the market with dollar in this case $2bn a
Month. Which is $24bn a year.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Peakdesign23(m): 10:16pm On Apr 16
Haba

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by FreeStuffsNG: 10:16pm On Apr 16
Hmmm

Most of the funds was used to pay back the billions in forex backlog debts incurred more than 4 years ago.

You can support your national currency in the short run to ensure that others see that you have a skin in the game. That decision of paying back international airlines alone has led to drastic fall in airfares and increased confidence in the naira.

From the chart below, the dates when our reserve fell tally with the period we cleared this massive backlog from early March till when CBN announced it in late March which lagged into April. We are barely in mid April.

May God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

34 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by LegendHero(m): 10:19pm On Apr 16
Bloomberg themselves said this in the report.

So if CBN clear FX backlogs, where do you guys expect them to see the money before? Will it not be from loans and FX reserve?

How does this translates to defending naira? She na all those $10k wey them dey give BDC go amass $2bn in a month?

This is just using a clickbait topic to attract people, reading the content did not show anywhere that the did was because naira was defended except if clearing backlog is now seen as “Naira defense” too.

“The CBN does appear to be using its FX reserves to clear the valid backlog, and return the naira to a realistic exchange rate,” said Charles Robertson, the London-based head of macro strategy at FIM Partners. “My assumption is they hope to encourage others – local and foreign investors – to start investing in the local currency, and return private sector liquidity to the foreign exchange market.”

21 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Categories Of People That won't feel The Country's current Inflation / Kano Hisbah Board Destroys Beer Bottles (photos) / Buhari Appoints Bello Maitama Yusuf As Member Nigerian Railway Corporation Board

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.