Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,478 members, 7,830,408 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:34 PM

Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound (35682 Views)

Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound -Bloomberg / Bloomberg: Nigeria's Dollar Bonds Jump After New President Scraps Fuel Caps / Governor Ayade's Aide Resigns, Says 'his Ideology Does Not Go In Tandem With APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Kobojunkie: 2:43am On Apr 17
FreeStuffsNG:
Hmmm Most of the funds was used to pay back the billions in forex backlog debts incurred more than 4 years ago.
You can support your national currency in the short run to ensure that others see that you have a skin in the game. That decision of paying back international airlines alone has led to drastic fall in airfares and increased confidence in the naira.
From the chart below, the dates when our reserve fell tally with the period we cleared this massive backlog from early March till when CBN announced it in late March which lagged into April. We are barely in mid April. May God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!
I don't believe that tale makes sense at all given that as of March 21st,2024, the news was that the CBN had settled all Forex backlog. So why the continuous fall in the reserves even after that time? The news had it that by March 21st,2024, the Government had completed payment on the final $1.5 Billion undecided
“If they say they have cleared the trapped funds, they should show us figures. They should tell us how much have been cleared. The last I checked, the status quo still remains the same,” Nwokoma said.
Hakama Sidi Ali, acting director of corporate communications at CBN, on Wednesday disclosed in a statement that the financial regulator recently concluded the payment of $1.5 billion to settle obligations to bank customers, effectively settling the residual balance of the FX backlog.
But Bankole Bernard, chairman of Airlines and Passengers’ Joint Committee (APJC) of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) told BusinessDay that CBN’s claim is true, adding that the airlines’ trapped funds have been cleared.
https://businessday.ng/news/article/foreign-airlines-dispute-cbns-claim-of-settled-fx-backlog/
So, why is the reserve still falling more than 3 weeks after? undecided

The chart below is from the CBN Government site today and does not corroborate any of what you claim. Rather it seems instead to line up with the Naira appreciation trend of the last, yes, 30 days. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Believeintruth: 2:43am On Apr 17
OkayDaddy:

Don't only hold dollars, buy more dollars.

Is that what you are saying advising people to buy more dollars to worsen an already bad situation?
Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Believeintruth: 2:47am On Apr 17
OkayDaddy:

Don't only hold dollars, buy more dollars.
Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Believeintruth: 2:49am On Apr 17
Dennisochampa:

Bros easy na... U no want make obidients sleep well this night grin cheesy

You still think it is about politics!! Dey play we are sitting on a keg of gun powder. This us not about Obi or Tinubu, it is about Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Moneyyman: 3:05am On Apr 17
Now, sit down and think of this:

1. Tinubu met the Dollar at N750.

2. He announced the immediate "removal" of subsidy payments (even when Buhari's PIB established the removal).

3. Buhari sought an $800m loan to "cushion" the effect of subsidy removal and stagger it for months.

4. Tinubu's announcement sent shockwaves into the markets. Petrol price jumped to N710 per liter and the cost of goods and transportation nearly, 150%.

5. The inflation worsened the already bad situation caused by insecurity (increase in prices of food and meat from the north), and resulted in food inflation.

6. The government started paying subsidy. THEY RESUMED SUBSIDY PAYMENTS, paying up to $1 trillion monthly (based on the new exchange rates between October 2023 to February 2024.

7. The government now dips into the external reserves to "settle" FX backlogs. However, airlines are complaining that they weren't really "settled" but forced to sell at a fixed price.

Yet, an equivalent dollar amount was taken. For context, let's explain:

I owe you $1000, which I take from the external reserves, but I then force you to collect the $1000 at a rate of say N900/$, when the rate is around N1400/$.

Ask yourself, who goes home with the extra N500?

8. Every country defends their currencies, but not at the expense of external reserves. Your external reserves are called RESERVES for a reason!

8. The best action is to "attack" the Dollar. Cutdown the costs of exports and remove security challenges that's increasing the cost of food from the north. Invest in dry season farming around the country to boost food production (dey season farming rates decreased in the last few years).

9. We're glad the dollar is "going down" against the naira, but it is not a viable strategy and can't last long. Once the reserves are depleted, demand will increase beyond supply and we're back on for explosive rates.

It happened under Emeifiele and will repeat itself if care isn't taken.

10. Elections are over. Whoever you supported or whatever side you were on, it's time to demand for data-driven governance and accountability from your leaders.

It is not hidden that governors we're busy converting their security votes into USD and sling at the black market to make heavy funds from the arbitrage. A public figure confirmed this recently on Twitter.

Yet the government went after BDCs and Binance only, leaving the major beneficiaries of the whole saga.

Demand good governance or we risk a failed nation.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Unperturbedpota: 3:07am On Apr 17
Goodvibes007:
The Nigerian reporter of the article should also explain why there is a convergence between the parallel and official markets.

Ps

It was written by a Nigerian for Bloomberg Africa. There are two of them that usually write for Bloomberg Africa. Anthony Osae and Emele Onu. Onu is a Peter Obi supporter. I can't say for Osae.
Does being a Peter obi supporter make him less professional? You illiterates always talk like hooligans

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by MEGAWATCH: 3:21am On Apr 17
garykoeman:
Even with their propaganda obi will not be president.

My happiness is that you will remain where you are suffering and smiling even if obi will not be president.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Clemostical: 3:44am On Apr 17
"My assumption is they hope to encourage others – local and foreign investors – to start investing in the local currency, and return private sector liquidity to the foreign exchange market.”

Nigeria still has a sizable cushion of foreign-exchange reserves, buoyed by a rally in oil prices and inflows from multi-lateral loans. Gross reserves of around $32.6 billion cover about six months’ worth of imports, according to the International Monetary Fund"

It appears Nigerians no longer read.

The report is speculative. The reporter was only making assumptions l.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Kobojunkie: 3:47am On Apr 17
Clemostical:
"My assumption is they hope to encourage others – local and foreign investors – to start investing in the local currency, and return private sector liquidity to the foreign exchange market.” Nigeria still has a sizable cushion of foreign-exchange reserves, buoyed by a rally in oil prices and inflows from multi-lateral loans. Gross reserves of around $32.6 billion cover about six months’ worth of imports, according to the International Monetary Fund"
It appears Nigerians no longer read. The report is speculative. The reporter was only making assumptions l.
it does?

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by saddler: 3:55am On Apr 17
LegendHero:
Bloomberg themselves said this in the report.

So if CBN clear FX backlogs, where do you guys expect them to see the money before? Will it not be from loans and FX reserve?

How does this translates to defending naira? She na all those $10k wey them dey give BDC go amass $2bn in a month?

This is just using a clickbait topic to attract people, reading the content did not show anywhere that the did was because naira was defended except if clearing backlog is now seen as “Naira defense” too.

$10k times how many BDCs ?

Trying to dodge the main point by not doing the maths
Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Originalsly: 4:01am On Apr 17
unclejb2:

For how long can Tinubu sustain this? Hold your dollar closely. If the government reserve gets depleted, e go red for naira

There must be something that is backing the strengthening of the Naira. Bloomberg is claiming it is money from the foreign reserves and money from foreign loans being used to push up the Naira . If this is not true .... then what is pushing it up? .... is it the price of crude oil skyrocketed and our production increased massively? If not ... then what is backing the Naira?

I agree with you ..... they continue with this the reserves will soon be depleted ... it's going to be hell this Christmas.

"You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by SoNature(m): 4:07am On Apr 17
Goodvibes007:
The Nigerian reporter of the article should also explain why there is a convergence between the parallel and official markets.

Ps

It was written by a Nigerian for Bloomberg Africa. There are two of them that usually write for Bloomberg Africa. Anthony Osae and Emele Onu. Onu is a Peter Obi supporter. I can't say for Osae.

Agbadorians are very funny creatures. When Bloomberg says something nice about this government, they expect everyone to rejoice and anyone who doesn't is considered the hater of their own country.

But when Bloomberg says something they don't like, they start googling the names of the writers, saying they belong to the opposition.

If na you dey borrow CBN the USD to crash the naira, point us to the newspaper source where we can read and know more about it. You must think that USD is a currency the CBN prints.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Resonance2019: 4:10am On Apr 17
unclejb2:
For how long can Tinubu sustain this? Hold your dollar closely. If the government reserve gets depleted, e go red for naira
Nigerians are there very own problems. Are you praying that naira should continue to go to all time low in the Fx market?
Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Kobojunkie: 4:16am On Apr 17
Resonance2019:
∆ Nigerians are there very own problems. Are you praying that naira should continue to go to all time low in the Fx market?
What has prayer to do with anything? Why are you folks so uselessly sheepish in your reasoning? undecided

The government has been shoring up the currency using the foreign reserves and there still seems no end to be seen in the dip even as of yesterday with approximately $ 2,000,000,000 already down the drain. So what exactly is wrong with asking how much more this mission to beautify the Nairaland will have to cost Nigerians when it isn't that they gain industrial development or a boost in local production of all after all those billions of dollars have disappeared. lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by madridguy(m): 4:23am On Apr 17
I think some people are just looking for any news that will console them for keeping their dollars cheesy Searching for news here and there to celebrate on. With time we shall see who is right, we or them.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Blaze14k: 5:25am On Apr 17
adioolayi:
Leave us alone Bloomberg...

E se ..

E se oo

E se opo

E wa ma lo!

But when the same bloomberg said naira is the best performing currency you were so happy. The double standards of Nigerian are so glaring.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by CrossRhodes: 5:29am On Apr 17
Lizzysamuel:

And you call yourself a patriot?

My Goodness
Chop everything, don't save for your future grin cheesy grin wink
Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by CrossRhodes: 5:30am On Apr 17
Resonance2019:

Nigerians are there very own problems. Are you praying that naira should continue to go to all time low in the Fx market?
Prayer doesn't work in economics, emotions too.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by tophempire: 5:32am On Apr 17
I'm yet to understand why we have a dollar reserve instead of an oil or gold reserve. And you say the dollar won't be strong.

Secondly, how has 32billion sitting in somewhere yet still borrowing and servicing debt with over 70% of the profit he sees from his business.

I know I'm not dull and I will understand if someone can explain the logic.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by CrossRhodes: 5:33am On Apr 17
Believeintruth:

Is that what you are saying advising people to buy more dollars to worsen an already bad situation?
News flash....your senators, HOR members, even president and gbajabiamila hold more foreign currency than you can imagine..

Just dey play

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by garykoeman: 5:36am On Apr 17
MEGAWATCH:

My happiness is that you will remain where you are suffering and smiling even if obi will not be president.

At least am better off than ur whole generation.

The last time I check Anambra is still a glorified village and the people there are refugees in all southwest states grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by garykoeman: 5:39am On Apr 17
Unperturbedpota:

Does being a Peter obi supporter make him less professional? You illiterates always talk like hooligans

Yes they are less professional and tribalistic in their analysis.

I can bet the report is fake.
Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Iamanoited: 5:43am On Apr 17
THAT IS CORRUPTION, BANKERS' STYLE.
Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by ivandragon: 5:47am On Apr 17
At this point, what the government is doing is fine.

There had to be an intervention. What needs to be done is to ensure that long term sustainable measures are being implemented along side these temporal measures.

What a lot of apc and by extension, BAT apologists fail to understand is that what is being done today were the same things done by the pdp which they condemned.

It is the stinking hypocrisy and then the arrogance to try and justify what was vehemently condemned that is the issue. And also the masses are paying an even higher 'price'.

Coupled with the introduction of a vile type of politics that is hunting the common man today.

Nigeria must succeed and it should be the duty of every sane Nigerian to speak up and let the government know where it hurts so it can correct itself and address issues for the good of the people.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Mayorpumpin(m): 5:48am On Apr 17
stagger:

I am sure if we have a peek into your own accounts, you have zero savings.

Do you know what is the meaning of "reserve"?
. OGA Professor, what is the meaning of reserve? Let us hear you...
Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by nairalanda1(m): 5:56am On Apr 17
Like apc, like pdp. Both spending our reserves to defend the naira, then when kassala bursts...

At the end, the way forward is manufactured goods and services.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by toujurs: 6:16am On Apr 17
Biodun556:
What is the reserve doing there?

Let's spend it

If this report is true, where did the CBN sees the 7 billion dollars to use to pay foreign airlines and others when Nigeria foreign reserve was 32 billion dollars
Ode nie grin. Go and eat first. Spender undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by erniok(m): 6:22am On Apr 17
FreeStuffsNG:
Hmmm

Most of the funds was used to pay back the billions in forex backlog debts incurred more than 4 years ago.

You can support your national currency in the short run to ensure that others see that you have a skin in the game. That decision of paying back international airlines alone has led to drastic fall in airfares and increased confidence in the naira.

From the chart below, the dates when our reserve fell tally with the period we cleared this massive backlog from early March till when CBN announced it in late March which lagged into April. We are barely in mid April.

May God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!
Does this mean nobody bothered to read the last paragraph? More inflow is coming which is excellent. The dollar will further depreciate against the naira.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Believeintruth: 6:27am On Apr 17
OkayDaddy:

Very very.
Obidients talk like blockheads no matter how professional they are supposed to sound.

See this Igbo Obidient for instance. Would you believe someone sounding so stupid works in Western Union?
Check his posts history for yourself. All he does is commit treason and set himself up for serious trouble.

Guy you are really crossing the line when it comes to cyber stalking. Hope you knowbyou can be jailed and I am not affiliated to any party. Be very careful look do you know that I have taken this to our CSO and they have already petitioned the security agencies. All I am doing is gathering all your posts for them to see what you are doing.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Believeintruth: 6:31am On Apr 17
OkayDaddy:

Very very.
Obidients talk like blockheads no matter how professional they are supposed to sound.

See this Igbo Obidient for instance. Would you believe someone sounding so stupid works in Western Union?
Check his posts history for yourself. All he does is commit treason and set himself up for serious trouble.

If you cannot show us any reasonable post from me then you are a bastard born of bastard lineage. As for me I have gathered evidence of you cyber stalking acts on nairaland

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Dollar Reserves Plunge In Tandem With Naira Rebound by Everlastingson: 6:33am On Apr 17
Goodvibes007:

Ps

Keep lying to yourself, you Agbado muncher. At the end of the day you deceive only yourself and your fellow liars. You're paid to talk nonsense to try to sway public opinion in favour of your criminal gang. Your fake and cosmetic Naira " gain" fraud is being dismantled. Whether your conscience is active or not, be sure you will give account to God at the end of your life. So, you can continue to lie for a living.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

‘jonathan Returns Home Without State Visit To Bayelsa’ / DSS To Interrogate Magu, EFCC Boss - Sahara Reporters / Obaseki's Plans To Dump PDP For Labour Party Thickens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.